Forums > Photography Talk > Ditigal backgrounds

Photographer

W Thompson Photos

Oxford, Pennsylvania, US

Has anyone used ditigal backgrounds? If so are you happy with the results.

Dec 10 14 10:26 am Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

I tend to only shoot real life sets. Just my style of working.

Dec 10 14 02:59 pm Link

Photographer

E Thompson Photography

Hyattsville, Maryland, US

Lallure Photographic wrote:
I tend to only shoot real life sets. Just my style of working.

I'm sure that information was quite useful, I think that's not exactly what he was looking for. To the OP, when you say digital backgrounds, could you elaborate?

Dec 10 14 05:19 pm Link

Photographer

Light and Lens Studio

Sisters, Oregon, US

E Thompson Photography wrote:

I'm sure that information was quite useful, I think that's not exactly what he was looking for. To the OP, when you say digital backgrounds, could you elaborate?

+1
Please clarify.
Do you mean digital projected (or analog projected) backgrounds?
Digitally created backgrounds used in post production?
Digital photos/video for backgrounds for material shot on green screen?
????

Dec 10 14 05:45 pm Link

Photographer

W Thompson Photos

Oxford, Pennsylvania, US

These are several different backgrounds on a DVD that you load onto your computer to improve boring backgrounds. I found this on "ditigal backgrounds ".I didn't know if anyone has seen /used them, if so are worth the money.

Dec 10 14 05:56 pm Link

Photographer

MC Seoul Photography

Seoul, Seoul, Korea (South)

W Thompson Photos wrote:
These are several different backgrounds on a DVD that you load onto your computer to improve boring backgrounds. I found this on "ditigal backgrounds ".I didn't know if anyone has seen /used them, if so are worth the money.

You're basically talking about composition.

I've done tons of it. You have to be very careful when doing it because it is easy to make it look very bad.

The first thing people don't pay attention to is proportions. If done poorly you'll quickly see that something in the background just doesn't make sense size-wise compared to the model. Some chair or bed may be too large or too small based on where the model is.

Light - If the background has light at an angle on it, and the model is not lit exactly the same way, they will stand out and it will look off. That might be okay in some scenarios if done intentionally (you can light them separately) but usually not.

Angles - 2D flat backgrounds come only at one angle. If your model is shot at another angle, they won't "fit" in the picture properly. You should know what background you want to use before shooting so that you can shoot them at the right angle.

shadows - if it's a full body shot you need to think about shadows. I usually shoot on a white wall, (so long as there aren't white clothes) and not only mask the body, but separately mask the shadows and put the real shadows in the picture, with the layer set to overlay and a reduced opacity. It will almost always give realistic shadows in the picture and really help sell the composition.

On the other hand, if all you're doing is headshots or standard seated profile shots and you want something to stick in behind them, you don't have to worry too much about those kinds of things. The only thing you have to worry about is masking, bad masking will make a bad photo, and getting the colors to blend to make them look like they were really taken together.

Dec 10 14 06:23 pm Link

Photographer

W Thompson Photos

Oxford, Pennsylvania, US

Thank you very much for your assistance, that sounds like what I was looking at. You were very helpful.

Dec 10 14 06:41 pm Link

Photographer

Hidden Hills Photography

San Antonio, Texas, US

I did a shoot for some friends at a Marine Corps B-Day Ball. I had this idea that I would use gelled flashes to make a dark red backdrop, but it didn't quite work out how I wanted, it became more pink/salmon, and I didn't have time on location to fix it, so I decided to take a few of the images and try to use some of the digital backgrounds I had seen advertised. You can see the results in the gallery I posted for my friends. I used the digital backgrounds on my pics, and posted some with the as shot backdrops in case they liked that better, so you can see the difference.

http://happydragonphoto.photoshelter.co … FS358aSU9E

Dec 11 14 09:39 pm Link

Photographer

mophotoart

Wichita, Kansas, US

depends on what you are going for....digital art or whatever...if it works...it works...if not...Mo

Dec 11 14 09:51 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

yes, I shoot green screen backgrounds but mostly Photo Booth style.  I set up a Photo Booth and am hired for the day usually $250.  It doesn't make a lot more money but if I am shooting the Christmas party it gives the company another branding.  They like having their logo in the background.  I also put my logo and phone number on the bottom and it grew my business super fast from referrals. I highly recommend it if you want to grow your business.  I usually just have a pretty girl that needs some extra cash run it.  super easy to do.

Dec 11 14 10:44 pm Link

Photographer

Pelle Piano

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

Changing backgrounds can be rather time consuming but but can save you trips to other countries for nice scenes smile and you dont need to transport flashes and stuff.

There are a lot of free backgrounds you can use, for instance at www.sxc.hu . Then there are sites like www.dreamstime.com where you can by one at the time.
I prefer shooting my own backgrounds, but I buy them when I need deserts or other environments that are not found nearby.

Here are two examples of new backgrounds.

https://www.lutzimages.com/thread_images/jonathan/a_grand_murder_700.jpg

https://www.lutzimages.com/thread_images/jonathan/elin.jpg

Dec 12 14 01:26 am Link

Photographer

Kincaid Blackwood

Los Angeles, California, US

W Thompson Photos wrote:
Has anyone used ditigal backgrounds? If so are you happy with the results.

Though it is not a part of my body of work here, in my commercial work, I do a lot of compositing (the process to which you're referring). There are a number of things to consider when doing it and those things will affect how good your results are.

Be mindful of how the element you're introducing (usually a person) would affect and be affected by the environment you're putting him/her into. More than just matching lighting, you might have to create highlights and shadows as well, on both the subject and in the environment. If there are reflections that you need to create, realize that only in clean mirrors do you get perfect reflections: all other reflections are distorted based on the surface doing the reflecting and the vantage point. Also, a particular color in a room would give a reflected color cast to objects near it (or if the color if widespread enough, it may affect everything). You have to account for things like that as well.

There's one other thing that takes some people a while to grasp and that is the way edges of native objects in a scene blend/bleed together ever so slightly. It's difficult to describe; similar to a wraparound effect. It's something you have to work at, but if you're diligent it can be learned through simple practice.

Though I don't do any compositing in my erotica, I don't consider myself a "purest" in the sense that I don't see the value of it. It can be a lot of fun and when done well, the results are amazing.

Dec 12 14 01:01 pm Link