Forums > Newbie Forum > Getting Exposure When Under 18

Model

Sydney Mckinley

Victorville, California, US

I'm very new here... I just wanted to know if anyone had tips for young models under 18 looking for exposure through MM. Most of the castings I've seen so far require you to be older.

Dec 17 14 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

R80

Marceline, Missouri, US

You''ll get some inquiries eventually even though there is a segment here that are deathly afraid of dealing with under 18 models.  There are also a number that don't mind or need a younger look so don't become disillusioned right off the bat. 

It would be a good idea to bring along a legal guardian on your shoots until you are 18.  One reason is safety and another, perhaps the main reason is that you will need a guardian to sign any documents allowing your images to be used.

Be sure to check the "new models" area on this site.

Best of luck.

Dec 17 14 06:14 pm Link

Photographer

Carl Herbert

Bellevue, Washington, US

What would you like to do? You might help yourself get started more easily if you have some ideas what you can do or what you want to do. Then you can figure out how to find the people who can work with you to make those things happen.

Dec 31 69 04:00 pm Link

Model

MissKatieMarie

Sarasota, Florida, US

Honestly, I don''t think I''ve ever gotten much from the "castings" area on here (maybe one or two things, but even then I think I was contacted directly) The best thing is to contact photographers directly and message them asking to do some testing. Or for designers, just send a message asking them to keep you in mind for future projects. Send friend requests to local photographers, designers, stylists ect... to get people to see your pictures. That''s what I did (I''m 17) and it''s worked super well for me, I''ve done some fashion shows, shot for a few clothing lines for a boutique (and more to come next year! I''ve got about two different ones lined up already), done a little bit of traveling (not super far but I''ve been able to go to Jekyll island, Tampa, Brunswick...still pretty close but hey, it''s out of where I am!) and a few small publications for a calender and small magazine and I''ve just started. You''ll need to bring a parent to your shoots and they''ll probably have to sign a model release. Some photographers do prefer you to be 18 and won''t work with minors but plenty do, you''ve just got to reach out to them. It just takes constant work and building a solid portfolio.

Dec 31 69 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

Weldphoto

Charleston, South Carolina, US

MissKatieMarie wrote:
. Send friend requests to local photographers, designers, stylists ect... to get people to see your pictures. That''s what I did (I''m 17) and it''s worked super well for me, ...You''ll need to bring a parent to your shoots and they''ll probably have to sign a model release. Some photographers do prefer you to be 18 and won''t work with minors but plenty do, you''ve just got to reach out to them. It just takes constant work and building a solid portfolio.

Good advice. You need to reach out to the photographers in your area, let them know you are available and willing to learn and that you will have a parent/guardian come along.  Its all about marketing yourself. And having fun along the way. Don't take anything too seriously!!

Best wishes,
George

Jan 01 15 06:24 pm Link

Photographer

The Perfect Image

Los Angeles, California, US

If you can come to Los Angeles I'm willing to shoot with you.

Jan 01 15 06:37 pm Link

Photographer

Natural Light on Location

Fort Worth, Texas, US

Honestly?

You seem like a nice young lady who is sincere, so here is my advice.

1. This is the most important. Do not listen to your friends your age, about anything. They say it's cool, it's NOT in the Grown Up World, or in the Modeling Field.

2. Spend some time, and some money. Make sure your nails are always done, hands and feet. Spend some time finding a good Stylist, and some money on getting a good DO!

3. If you want advice, PM some of the better Models on the Modeling Forum.

4. Go on the Make Up Artist Forum. Find a good one in your area, and hire her to do you once. Ask her, what to buy, and how to use it. Take notes, and then every time you do a shoot, try to include her. She also knows a good hair Stylist.

5. Reply in a Timely manner to every Photographer who contacts you, even if it's to say, "No Thank You."

6. Do not ever turn down a shoot over Money.

7. Get your Mom, or Guardian, enthused over your Career, HINT! Wash her car, do the laundry, cook dinner, wash the dishes, show her  you are willing to give her some of your time, for some of hers.

8. Make some money, Babysit, get a job, whatever. Spend it on Good Make Up, and nice clothes.

9. Learn what good pictures are. Look at the top models, the ones with ten thousand posts have in their ports. Then look at the views, the ones with a thousand views, etc. See what made it work, and then copy it.

Now, when you finally do get a shoot, don't just post every single pic all willy nilly, just post one, maybe two of the good ones. Make sure you credit the photographer. Then post on his page, thanking him. Don't gush, just say Thank You.

10. If you ever do get a shoot. SHOW UP!, That is the most Important thing, followed by, show up on time, ready to go, and turn your cell phone off at the start of the shoot.

If Modeling is the most important thing in your life, then texts from your friends can wait.

You have a good look, and you have a chance at making it, but a good attitude, and good manners would go a long way.

Jeepers, Pie Bear should Sticky This.

Anyway, any questions, PM me, or ask on the Forum.

Good Luck.

Jan 01 15 07:43 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Natural Light on Location wrote:
Honestly?

You seem like a nice young lady who is sincere, so here is my advice.

1. This is the most important. Do not listen to your friends your age, about anything. They say it's cool, it's NOT in the Grown Up World, or in the Modeling Field.

2. Spend some time, and some money. Make sure your nails are always done, hands and feet. Spend some time finding a good Stylist, and some money on getting a good DO!

3. If you want advice, PM some of the better Models on the Modeling Forum.

4. Go on the Make Up Artist Forum. Find a good one in your area, and hire her to do you once. Ask her, what to buy, and how to use it. Take notes, and then every time you do a shoot, try to include her. She also knows a good hair Stylist.

5. Reply in a Timely manner to every Photographer who contacts you, even if it's to say, "No Thank You."

6. Do not ever turn down a shoot over Money.

7. Get your Mom, or Guardian, enthused over your Career, HINT! Wash her car, do the laundry, cook dinner, wash the dishes, show her  you are willing to give her some of your time, for some of hers.

8. Make some money, Babysit, get a job, whatever. Spend it on Good Make Up, and nice clothes.

9. Learn what good pictures are. Look at the top models, the ones with ten thousand posts have in their ports. Then look at the views, the ones with a thousand views, etc. See what made it work, and then copy it.

Now, when you finally do get a shoot, don't just post every single pic all willy nilly, just post one, maybe two of the good ones. Make sure you credit the photographer. Then post on his page, thanking him. Don't gush, just say Thank You.

10. If you ever do get a shoot. SHOW UP!, That is the most Important thing, followed by, show up on time, ready to go, and turn your cell phone off at the start of the shoot.

If Modeling is the most important thing in your life, then texts from your friends can wait.

You have a good look, and you have a chance at making it, but a good attitude, and good manners would go a long way.

Jeepers, Pie Bear should Sticky This.

Anyway, any questions, PM me, or ask on the Forum.

Good Luck.

Excellent advice

Getting dance training is also very helpful.

Jan 01 15 08:24 pm Link

Photographer

First Life Photography

Plymouth, England, United Kingdom

Welcome to MM. smile

Jan 01 15 10:31 pm Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

Under 18 really requires that you be signed by a bona fide agency, to represent you. No one else wants to deal with minors.

Even then, you must be in one of 3 major markets.......NYC, Chicago, or LA......., and you must be fashion size.

Jan 02 15 12:39 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Los Angeles, California, US

I have shot under 18 and the mother signed the model release. It's not hard to get photographers interested in you. Your height is nice. However, you need to go to agencies in L.A. on their casting days and bring polaroids.  The first thing an agency will think in L.A. is runway.

You need to make it easy for photographers, always make sure the paperwork is understood and done. Some photographers find the paperwork requirements for under-18yrs to be a hassle, although it is just a release signed by two people, the model and her guardian/parent.

If you do get signed you'll need a portfolio and that will cost as you'll need someone good. It'll cost about $350 for a portfolio that kicks it off well with an top-ended agency. They have a list of recommended, not just one. Quite a few. Scam agencies have just one photographer and often it is in excess of $500. .

Skincare is very important and so is hair. Don't overtreat and damage it as it becomes a nightmare on set for a hairstylist.

Jan 02 15 01:01 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

You got much good advice above.  You can't do anything about where you live right now, unless your parents are really committed.  A good agency could help you.  I see you are tall enough but I don't know how you fit in weight wise.  Seek advice in the forums about agencies, too, before signing.  Marketing yourself is very important. Might as well learn to do it now.

Read the forums.  Read them a lot.   There is a lot of crap in them, but it is good to learn how to distinguish crap.  There are certain people, who post on certain subjects, that you should really pay attention to.  Others (me), not so much.  Don't be afraid to ask questions if you can't find a thread that answers your questions.  Just keep your questions to your career.  We don't want to hear about some aspects of your personal life.  Don't use the forums to offend the photographers and don't use the term GWC.  Everyone is a potential client.

Keep your grades up.  Don't pass up the opportunity to go to college because modeling MIGHT work out.

Jan 02 15 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

L O C U T U S

Bangor, Maine, US

get your own country, then hack sony...?

Jan 02 15 02:51 pm Link

Photographer

alessandro2009

Florence, Toscana, Italy

Be active on your search.
As everything you need time and effort.

Jan 06 15 04:02 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

america is a country where if someone (regardless of their credibility) files a complaint then all hell breaks loose and you are guilty until proven otherwise so some US photographers are (perhaps understandably) afraid of minors. plus there's a lot of scantily clad stuff happening on here which some (including me) feel is inappropriate for a minor.

i'd suggest networking with local photographers (perhaps beyond mayhem) to see if anyone would like to work with you. maybe some of the guys who are used to doing senior portraits.

with the younger models i find that there's often a mom involved which is good. i think OMP (one model place) handles minors differently and that's where i've talked to some momagers.

we've had some great age-appropriate shoots with minors both with models and paying customers.

Jan 06 15 12:39 pm Link

Photographer

Personality Imaging

Hoover, Alabama, US

Looks like you are getting some good advice on here!  Just don't get discouraged!  With a parent or guardian on board a lot is possible.  Just be aware that 18 isn't old enough to sign a release ( or any other contract) in all states.  In Alabama it's 19 and a few states are 21 states.  Good luck and don't give up!

Jan 06 15 12:57 pm Link