Forums > Photography Talk > Which momitor to up grade to

Photographer

Concepts 5 Photography

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

I am looking for a new monitor for my editing on a PC.   Looking at a 24" or 27"  Price range under $1000aus.  The graphics card I have is a GEforce  GTX560 at the moment.  So what are people using or recommending.  Best type?

Dec 20 14 09:43 pm Link

Photographer

TerrysPhotocountry

Rochester, New York, US

I run 2 / 25" Monitors. Once you pick out a Monitor of your choice. Buy the one that has the highest dpi.

Dec 20 14 10:31 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

That''s a decent budget.

You really just have to decide if you want to jump all the way up to a 4k monitor or not.  That video card doesn''t have the power to run a 4k display.  You'd need to upgrade to at least a GTX 650, per nVidia's site.

I''d definitely recommend an IPS screen.  I have two 23" monitors.  One is a TFT panel and the other is IPS.  Looking at them is like night and day. 

For your budget, you could probably get two WQHD (2560x1440) panels.  I just really can''t recommend a 4k panel at this time.  Give them another year and the quality will certainly go up while the prices come down.

Dec 20 14 11:11 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Dec 21 14 01:13 am Link

Photographer

Concepts 5 Photography

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:
Guide for Imaging monitors
http://www.imagescience.com.au/kb/quest … aging+Work
Get this
http://www.imagescience.com.au/products … nitor.html
Also get the Calibration kit

Thank you for your comment Imagescience is where I have started from .  Went and visited them last week had a great chat, nice people..  lol

Dec 21 14 02:59 am Link

Photographer

ArtofWomenPhotography

Busselton, Western Australia, Australia

I''m using 2 27" Dell U2713HM with a Gigabyte GTX980 G1 video card.

Dec 21 14 03:16 am Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

As mentioned  above, an IPS monitor would be a good idea.  In Oz you can by a 27" LG IPS monitor or a 27" Apple IPS monitor for about $1000.  The monitors both use screens made in Korea.  You can buy Korean monitors with the same screen for less that half the price, but you have to import them direct from Korea.

Judging from feedback on the internet, the Korean brands range from great to horrible.  The Crossover brand gets pretty good feedback, so I bought a Crossover 27" IPS (2560 x 1440)  earlier this year for about $450 landed in Australia.  It was delivered inside a week and performs well.

Dec 21 14 05:06 am Link

Retoucher

Pictus

Teresópolis, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Good Egg Productions wrote:
That''''s a decent budget.

You really just have to decide if you want to jump all the way up to a 4k monitor or not.  That video card doesn''''t have the power to run a 4k display.  You''d need to upgrade to at least a GTX 650, per nVidia''s site.

The GTX 650 still not good for 4K, can not do 60Hz, see at 4K Monitor Requirements and Usage
For 4K I would get a 2 giga RAM card like Nvidia GTX 750Ti or AMD R7 260X.
The 4K monitor would be the Dell UP2414Q
To do a hardware calibration must use a X-Rite i1Display Pro

For non 4k and 27":
For Standard gamut(miniLAB) get the Dell U2715H check the review.
For Wide Gamut(high end inkjet) get the Dell U2713H check the review, but to do hardware calibration you also need a X-Rite i1Display Pro, see here.
The difference between the hardware calibration(monitor LUT 14-bits) and software calibration(graphic card LUT 8-bits) is the bit depth, calibration in 14-bits get smoother results and probably no banding.

To be on the safe side only buy a flicker free monitor, the  U2715H is not in the list yet, but is also flicker free, see here.

How to choose a good monitor https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post … st17626143
Soft proofing - Color Spaces and alike information https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thre … st17444951

Dec 21 14 10:42 am Link