Forums > General Industry > Asking for Rates

Photographer

Jason Felip

Evansville, Indiana, US

I hate the way my emails read when I ask a model for her rates.  I would appreciate seeing what other photographers write and how they word their emails so I can make my inquiries a bit less awkward.

smile

Thanks

Dec 31 14 07:38 am Link

Photographer

Outoffocus

Worcester, England, United Kingdom

Hi xmy,

I'm looking to shoot some .....insert genre..... soon and wondered whether you would let me know your hourly/half day/day rate for this if you are interested.

Regards
etc

Dec 31 14 08:22 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Dont ask rates !!!
Make offer what you are willing to spend
Not accepted...Move on to next model

Dec 31 14 08:27 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

I never ask for rates.  I offer what a model is worth to me for a particular shoot.   

Many models quote rates that are twice as high or more, than what they will actually accept, but one never knows how much any given model will come down.  So if for example a model is worth $50/hour to you, and you ask her rate and she says $120/hour, do you counter with $50/hour or just assume her rate is out of your range and move on?   Just offering $50/hour in the first place avoids having to make the decision and reduces the back and forth communication.

If a model isn't willing to accept what I'm willing to pay, it really doesn't matter what her advertised rates or accepted rates are.  We're not compatible and might as well move on with a minimum of discussion.

If I'm casting, I post the range I'm willing to pay.

Dec 31 14 08:48 am Link

Photographer

Mikey McMichaels

New York, New York, US

Jason Felip wrote:
I hate the way my emails read when I ask a model for her rates.  I would appreciate seeing what other photographers write and how they word their emails so I can make my inquiries a bit less awkward.

smile

Thanks

Arguably you don't need to know the models rates in the first round of communication. You could keep it really simple and just ask "Would you like to shoot?"

If they want to and aren't willing to do it as a trade, they will include their rates in their reply.

Dec 31 14 09:09 am Link

Body Painter

Airballin

Oakland, California, US

My personal opinion.
You can never offend me or come off awkward offering to pay me no matter how little you offer.
You can only offend me or sound awkward asking me to work for you for free.

I would  think any working model would feel the same.

Dec 31 14 09:26 am Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Airballin wrote:
You can only offend me or sound awkward asking me to work for you for free.

Since you are not a photographer I will explain the TFP, TFT, TFCD concept.  Neither side is really working for "free".  The photographer brings his equipment and knowledge and the model brings her looks, experience, and usually the clothing. They BOTH get usable (hopefully) photographs for their book, portfolio, or profile. 

Finished images have a value, they would have otherwise had to pay money to get them.  Therefore since the model receives something of value (s)he is not working for "free".

Dec 31 14 10:01 am Link

Photographer

Fotticelli

Rockville, Maryland, US

"What's the damage for a 3 hour shoot?"

Dec 31 14 11:36 am Link

Photographer

Images by MR

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

If I was to hire a model for a project I'd never ask them for rates but rather tell them what I'm willing to pay.  They
can take it or leave it.

Dec 31 14 11:53 am Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:
Dont ask rates !!!

Abbitt Photography wrote:
I never ask for rates.  I offer what a model is worth to me for a particular shoot.

Images by MR wrote:
If I was to hire a model for a project I'd never ask them for rates but rather tell them what I'm willing to pay.  They
can take it or leave it.

This

Dec 31 14 12:20 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

Asking for rates (unless you're just curious as to how predatory/out-of-touch they are), is a quick ticket on MM to be taken advantage of. Decide what you consider affordable/fair compensation for you and offer that.

Dec 31 14 03:45 pm Link

Photographer

Jason Felip

Evansville, Indiana, US

Thanks for the excellent responses.  Very enlightening.  I realize now I have been going about it all wrong.  Instead of asking for rates I will say what I am willing to pay and move on if it isn't enough.  So glad I asked this. Again, thanks to everyone who took the time to respond.

Cheers

Dec 31 14 06:50 pm Link

Photographer

Burle-Skit Art Perform

Houston, Texas, US

Dont ask rates !!!
Not accepted...Move on to next model

Yep, exactly.  This is what I do. I have my budget, thus take it or leave it. 

Regarding those VIP models I'd discussed rates with who wanted $200 an hour, or no less than $300 or such, I have found other models who looked JUST AS GOOD willing to take 1/2 to 1/3 of those demands.  I think there is a "fun" factor, to use their adjective, involved in my style.  Most certainly it's not most models' cup of tea but to the ones that were interested, "fun." The monetary compensation might just have been merely gravy...

One of the models I'd worked with said what I paid her is about 1/3 what she makes from regular photography shoots.  But like some of the others, she said my goofy video shoots were more fun than regular still photo shoots.  And she said she'd love to shoot again.  For her comment, I gave her an extra $20 tip at the end of the shoot.

One of those VIP types that were out of my budget range, I did respond that once I get a larger piggy bank with a good paint design I would get back to her because she has a great look for my genre.  She gave a smile and said, "Thank you for understanding, I'd love to work with you."

Jan 01 15 12:57 pm Link

Model

Ashley Marie Howard

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

As I model I would rather be asked if I am interested in shooting for x amount of compensation versus being asked what my rates are. I hate being asked mainly because I don't know what the photographers budget may be and I don't want to sour a potentially good work relationship by quoting a rate that may be too high for the photographers budget. I would much rather a photographer just quote what they are willing to pay for the shoot at the beginning and then I can decide if it is worth the payment to accept the offer to work with them.

Jan 01 15 02:49 pm Link

Model

Victoria Elle

New York, New York, US

Jason Felip wrote:
Thanks for the excellent responses.  Very enlightening.  I realize now I have been going about it all wrong.  Instead of asking for rates I will say what I am willing to pay and move on if it isn't enough.  So glad I asked this. Again, thanks to everyone who took the time to respond.

Cheers

As a model, I always prefer this.

Jan 01 15 03:01 pm Link

Body Painter

Airballin

Oakland, California, US

Vector One Photography wrote:
Since you are not a photographer I will explain the TFP, TFT, TFCD concept.  Neither side is really working for "free".  The photographer brings his equipment and knowledge and the model brings her looks, experience, and usually the clothing. They BOTH get usable (hopefully) photographs for their book, portfolio, or profile. 

Finished images have a value, they would have otherwise had to pay money to get them.  Therefore since the model receives something of value (s)he is not working for "free".

No I am not a photographer, but I do pretend to be one on MM like most people here. As I take all my own photos. Good, bad or whatever you want to call them.
But I can say this,  I am a full time artist. It's the only job I have and the only job I ever had.
My response was not about TF.  Who mentioned anything about TF shoots anywhere in the thread? The OP was asking about sounding awkward asking for rates. And my response was "You can never sound awkward asking for rates". Asking people how much they charge or offering to pay them instantly shows that you respect what they do and you understand what they do has value, even if you can't afford to pay what they might be asking.

Contrary to what you may think about what I do, it is actually work. And I do get asked frequently "to work for free" and not for the benefit of improving ones portfolio.

Jan 01 15 03:06 pm Link

Model

D A N I

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

First reading this, I thought that I would prefer to be asked for my rates instead of given a set amount. Then after thinking about it a little more, I realized that I really prefer if the hiring party presented what they are willing to pay. I can easily agree or disagree based on what they offer so there's no harm there. It also makes me feel less like an ass if my rates are too high. I also won't sell myself too low if I quote them a rate and they were willing to pay twice that amount.

Jan 01 15 03:36 pm Link

Photographer

J-PhotoArt

San Francisco, California, US

If there is a model that I am interested in working with and it states Compensation: Paid Assignments Only in their profile, then I will ask for their rates.  If their rates are more than I am willing to pay for their modeling services, then I politely thank them for taking the time to read my message and move on.

If it states Compensation: Depends on Assignment in their profile, then I will make an offer for their modeling services which might be a TFP arrangement.  If they counter with a rate more than I am willing to pay,  then I politely thank them for their time and move on.  If they are open to negotiation, then I will see if we can find a rate that is acceptable to both of us. If we are not able to come to a rate that is acceptable to both of us, then I, again, politely thank them for their time and move on

To me, there are far too many models available with basically the same stats, to worry about one particular model.  Not a big deal to me!

Jan 01 15 03:52 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Ashley Marie Howard wrote:
As I model I would rather be asked if I am interested in shooting for x amount of compensation versus being asked what my rates are. I hate being asked mainly because I don't know what the photographers budget may be and I don't want to sour a potentially good work relationship by quoting a rate that may be too high for the photographers budget. I would much rather a photographer just quote what they are willing to pay for the shoot at the beginning and then I can decide if it is worth the payment to accept the offer to work with them.

Of course you do.  9 times out of 10 the photographer will offer you more than you might be willing to do the shoot for.  This is the trick of all the traveling models.  Trust me they are not willing to help a photographer .

Look if you are being paid than ou know the budget. .... Then state a price lower than your budget.  If then the model accepts then you are in good shape.  If need be you can negotiate to your budgeted limit.

If you are not being paid then offer trade.

Jan 01 15 10:55 pm Link

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

Are paid models just a tool/prop the same as a camera, set, studio ect for which the photographer has paid for.

Jan 02 15 03:40 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

nothing wrong with inquiring about their rate. if they normally do TF then they'll probably start a forum thread on how much they are worth.

or you could just say "i'd like to shoot with you some time" and see how they respond. you might get silence, you might get an offer for TF or you might get their rates.

or just set a budget and say "this gig will pay $100 for 2 hours of work"

Jan 03 15 07:34 pm Link

Photographer

Mikey McMichaels

New York, New York, US

Risen Phoenix Photo wrote:

Of course you do.  9 times out of 10 the photographer will offer you more than you might be willing to do the shoot for.  This is the trick of all the traveling models.  Trust me they are not willing to help a photographer .

Look if you are being paid than ou know the budget. .... Then state a price lower than your budget.  If then the model accepts then you are in good shape.  If need be you can negotiate to your budgeted limit.

If you are not being paid then offer trade.

It's not their responsibility to help a photographer. We don't need to trust you on that, no one would ever expect that would happen.

Jan 04 15 02:21 am Link

Photographer

Hotel Room Shooter

Fairfax, Virginia, US

Jason Felip wrote:

Cheers

Not so fast. That's not always the best advice. It also depends how badly you want to shoot a particular model. Negotiation is a process, it's not a take it or leave it situation.

I usually ask a model her rates because I know it causes most model's head to spin. Some models who work a lot have set rates that they command historically but I'm talking about other models who don't shoot all that often. Once they respond with a number, if it's less than I would have offered,  .. I book it. If it's more .. I say thanks for the information but unfortunately, I can only afford X ..would you consider shooting for X? Then she can decide if it's worth shooting or not.

I find that if I toss out a number first, I most always over pay. It's a tough economy out there, work on finding a number you both will agree on.

Jan 04 15 07:37 am Link

Artist/Painter

MainePaintah

Saco, Maine, US

Very informative. I thank you, Victoria, and Danielle for some honest answers.
It seems I too have been going about it wrong by asking rates and never hiring anyone because their rates were way beyond my model fee budget (being on an artist's budget).

Jan 04 15 07:58 am Link

Model

Julia Steel

Sylvania, Ohio, US

I like knowing exactly the nature of the shoot you want to hire me for. Also you can make a quote. After all, it is YOUR budget!

Jan 06 15 08:05 am Link

Model

Michelle Genevieve

Gaithersburg, Maryland, US

This is a very interesting thread!

Julia Francesca  wrote:
I like knowing exactly the nature of the shoot you want to hire me for. Also you can make a quote. After all, it is YOUR budget!

I will always bid on a job when asked, and I will gladly work within a photographer’s budget.

ontherocks wrote:
nothing wrong with inquiring about their rate. if they normally do TF then they'll probably start a forum thread on how much they are worth.

or you could just say "i'd like to shoot with you some time" and see how they respond. you might get silence, you might get an offer for TF or you might get their rates.

or just set a budget and say "this gig will pay $100 for 2 hours of work"

This is a good way to approach this, and I generally respond positively to requests like this.

I once worked for a radio broadcasting group, and when we discussed advertising with potential clients some would balk, saying “Your rates are too high.” Our answer was that our rates were set by our advertisiers.

And that was largely true. We had an idea of what we thought our value was, but our actual rate was that sweet spot between what our fantasy rate was and what the abject cheapskates could afford to pay. Once we settled on that rate that became our defacto price, and that rate was ratified by regular and repeated sales in the marketplace.

The market determines the rate. If the supplier wants to earn a higher rate then he must provide a higher quality product to be able to enter a higher-priced marketplace. This is why Fords do not sell for the price of Rolls-Royces.

I do have a rate, and my rate has been determined by what other clients have paid me. I am worth that amount not because I say so but because the market has told me so with their hard-earned dollars. If I am asked for my rates then this is the basis for the answer I give.

Not everyone will value my services as much as the other clients who have already hired me, not everyone will be able to afford me, and not everyone will even have a clue as to what the norm is for the services they require. That’s OK. All providers and clients will eventually find their appropriate budgetary match.

That said, I am generally hired after having an offer extended to me without a request for rates, and apparently those who extend me those offers tend to value my services as much as I and the rest of the market do. I suspect that those few who have asked me my rates (and subsequently did not hire me) were hoping that the answer was “Free”.

Jan 06 15 08:42 am Link

Photographer

Magic Image Pin Up

Temple City, California, US

I come out straight and forward and ask: Ok Doll Face how much to shoot them tomatoes and your kishter and while I am add it if I shoot the Beaver will Mr. Kleaver get upset. But the real scoop is I don't have the doe to pay ya so will you take a couple of snap shots and we can call it even. Later Doll.

Jan 10 15 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

Capitol City Boudoir

Sacramento, California, US

The only time I pay models is when I'm working on an Art Nude personal project. So mine goes something like this. Sometimes models will charge lower rates for projects that interest them.

Hi Sally. I was looking at your portfolio and I like your looks. I'm going to be working on a personal project over the next couple of weeks. The project is (Insert detailed project description including time requirements.)  I was wondering if your interested and available. If you are, can you share your rates with me.

Jan 10 15 03:24 pm Link

Model

Layla_B

Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands

+1
I agree!

Jan 10 15 03:59 pm Link

Model

D A N I

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

Magic Image  Pin Up wrote:
I come out straight and forward and ask: Ok Doll Face how much to shoot them tomatoes and your kishter and while I am add it if I shoot the Beaver will Mr. Kleaver get upset. But the real scoop is I don't have the doe to pay ya so will you take a couple of snap shots and we can call it even. Later Doll.

Sounds like my last relationship

Jan 10 15 04:08 pm Link

Photographer

F O R B E S

New York, New York, US

Never ask for rates. Make your offer of whatever is within your budget. If she turns it down, pack your shit up and move onto the next one. Whatever one model refuses, the other one will gladly accept.

Jan 11 15 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

KBStudio

STATEN ISLAND, New York, US

Cherrystone wrote:

Dont ask rates !!!

Abbitt Photography wrote:

This

+1 to all

Jan 13 15 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

So if you decide not to work with the photographer based on what they can afford to pay you or if you quote a rate that is too high and so the photographer passes.  Isn't the end result the same thing?

Of course it is. 

That is why you should find young tallents models and shoot TF.  If it is a client paid shoot then hire an agency model

Jan 13 15 09:14 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Victoria Elle wrote:

As a model, I always prefer this.

Sure you and other models do, hoping that they will quote a rate higher than you would settle for.

Jan 13 15 09:18 pm Link