Forums > Photography Talk > how many photographs to provide after TFP shoot.

Photographer

Igor Litvinov

New York, New York, US

I think that if it is TFP shoot then a model/MUA should get pictures as a part of the arrangement.

One time I selected 20 pictures after the shoot and sent it to a model.
She ended up posting some of those that  wouldn't make it to the top 5, as I think.
Obviously, I didn't feel excited seeing my credits on that semi work.

Some people do even worse; they "retouch" it themselves using IG filters so I feel even worse.

What is the number of pictures you usually send to model or to MUA after a TFP shoot?
Are they all supposed to be retouched?
Is there any agreement that can regulate post production work of a photograph?

Jan 04 15 02:18 pm Link

Photographer

Mark C Smith

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Igor Litvinov wrote:
What is the number of pictures you usually send to model or to MUA after a TFP shoot?
Are they all retouched?

Whatever I agreed to with all parties involved. Usually we discuss it after the shoot or in the pre-shoot e-mails.

I'll usually give 4-5 per look for boudoir, fashion, editorial, etc. Whichever are my favorites will be retouched and if the model wants, I'll retouch a few of her favorites. Art nude shoots, since the retouching is usually quite minimal, I'll have around 20-30 final product.

Jan 04 15 02:22 pm Link

Photographer

CBs Photography

Ontario, California, US

I usually give them 1 edited picture of their choosing per look plus the pictures I edit for myself.  That has been working pretty good for me.

Jan 04 15 02:28 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

2-3 per look, retouched.  As most with a full portfolio will only use one image per look its more than enough, but I understand some building their books may use a couple per shoot until they have more images.

Jan 04 15 02:28 pm Link

Photographer

Thinking Inside The Box

Diamond Bar, California, US

Igor Litvinov wrote:
She ended up posting some of those that  wouldn't make it to the top 5, as I think.

If you only wanted to display the top 5, you should only have agreed (ahead of time) to deliver the top 5.

Igor Litvinov wrote:

One per look or per hour, whichever is greater is what I have in my trade agreements, but I usually deliver more. Finished images, not SOOC.

Just make sure everyone is OK with the agreement before the shoot.

Jan 04 15 03:46 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

It depends a bit on the shoot and the model. 

A longer shoot warrants more photos and you may wish to be more generous with an exceptional model.

That being said, I am usually happy to edit a dozen images of the model's choice, but have been known to do several times that number with a particularly good shoot.

Jan 04 15 04:38 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ArtistryImage

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Igor Litvinov wrote:
...Obviously, I didn't feel excited seeing my credits on that semi work....

Igor in our industry you are only as good as the weakest image in your book... experience is a brutal teacher...

As for retouching? That is almost mandatory for beauty genre, albeit only a precious few actually know how to rendering skin keeping it's texture in place... much of the "beauty work" on Mayhem is virtually useless for an agency represented MUA's book...  if the skin texture is gone it then becomes a graphic artist rendering and decidedly not the work of a makeup artist... enough said...

btw, while we aren't allowed to critique in this forum I would mentioned that likely no makeup artist no matter how gifted could ever hope achieve the glass like skin surface of your avatar... Even with a full coverage heavy cream or airbrush at least some skin texture will be visible... agencies typically would prefer at least some semblance of "real" skin texture...  unless of course it is for a specific client who mandated the aforementioned... then every thing changes...  same with tear sheets...

Igor Litvinov wrote:
...Is there any agreement that can regulate post production work of a photograph?

Have you ever entertained the concept of getting as nearly right in camera as possible?  Just a thought...

All the best on your journey Igor...

Jan 04 15 04:41 pm Link

Photographer

Peter House

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Usually no more than 5 from the day. 2-3 is good in my books. I usually know what I want, and shoot till I capture. The rest is all variants. Neither I nor the model need to have several versions of the same concept and look. 2-3 solid shots are more valuable than 30 mediocre shots.

Jan 04 15 07:30 pm Link

Photographer

J Andrescavage Photo

San Francisco, California, US

I deliver all the pictures I'm happy to have my name attached to, and not one more.  That could be one or it could be twenty, but I don't ever promise a specific number.

Jan 04 15 07:59 pm Link

Photographer

Instinct Images

San Diego, California, US

I give the model ALL the decent shots from the shoot. I want them to see the good with the bad (as far as the way they look not bad as in out of focus, etc.). I've had models that edited shots themselves and their friends LOVED them. Those edits got way more attention than the edits I did. But then I don't have the same taste and style as someone that's 18 to 25 necessarily.

After a shoot I uploaded a low res jpeg of the majority of the shots and have the model select about 10 of those for me to edit. They are free to use any/all of the others for their Facebook, Instagram, MySpace (hah!), etc.

Jan 04 15 07:59 pm Link

Photographer

epsilon images

Bellevue, Washington, US

Two or three that I like -- i.e. the ones I'm planning to use on my website and sell.  Plus, sometimes, two or three that they like from a couple-dozen proofs (that I pick).

Jan 04 15 09:54 pm Link

Photographer

Schlake

Socorro, New Mexico, US

Igor Litvinov wrote:
I think that if it is TFP shoot then a model/MUA should get pictures as a part of the arrangement.

Some people do even worse; they "retouch" it themselves using IG filters so I feel even worse.

Are they all supposed to be retouched?
Is there any agreement that can regulate post production work of a photograph?

I'll give them all if they want, after all, it was Time For Pictures, and they deserve any pictures they paid for with their time.  Almost no one actually wants all of them though.

What normally happens is I look through them, pick the ones I like, and send them those.  I also put up a private gallery of thumbnails (about 800 maxside) of them all and let them pick any they like as well.  They can have my minimal editing or they can do it themselves if they want non-photographic pictures from the shoot.

Of course, I'm different than most photographers.  I respect the models, and I don't treat them as naive meat puppets to be used and thrown away with a token payment.

Jan 04 15 09:59 pm Link

Photographer

J Andrescavage Photo

San Francisco, California, US

Schlake wrote:
Of course, I'm different than most photographers.  I respect the models, and I don't treat them as naive meat puppets to be used and thrown away with a token payment.

Yes, you're different than most photographers in that most photographers respect their models- and also their own work.

Jan 04 15 10:03 pm Link

Photographer

Images by MR

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Jan 04 15 10:28 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

i guess I give everything after I knock out the blinkies and bad focus and bad exposure.  Lightroom editing is pretty quick.  two hours knocks out most jobs.  I watermark as needed but  my sexy shoots I decided for now not to watermark.  I have a handful that I send to the hmua or stylist.  sometimes I work with a purveyor and he gets special pictures for his business.  Cake or place settings.   Some with the models and some without.

That being said I do a special folder of usually 1-5 pictures that are hand retouched that i label "Recommend for portfolio"

Jan 04 15 10:30 pm Link

Photographer

Kent Art Photography

Ashford, England, United Kingdom

They can have what they want.  My ego can stand having images out there that I don't think are particularly good, and I am aware that images that are right for a model's portfolio aren't always what I would choose for mine.

Jan 04 15 11:20 pm Link

Photographer

Keith Moody

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I give them 90% of the pictures (minus the obvious no-goods).  Depending how many we shoot, this could be 25, 50 or 100.  I tell them to pick 10 they like and I will edit those.  They can pretty much do with the pictures whatever they want (non commercially speaking).  I don't really care.  I am primarily a sports photographer.  That's where I make my money, shooting college and other sports.  I shoot models just for the fun of it.

Jan 04 15 11:54 pm Link

Photographer

Natural Means

Yamba, New South Wales, Australia

Tailor the deal to the situation.

Experienced models will probably want less, but better, shots (they have 450,567 photos on their computer waiting for a go in their port anyway); new model will tend to want lots of shots to gush over.

Typically I give 30-40 low res proofs to chose from and 8-10  final processed shot from a 2 hr shoot.

Jan 06 15 12:28 am Link

Photographer

Amul La La

London, England, United Kingdom

J Andrescavage Photo wrote:
I deliver all the pictures I'm happy to have my name attached to, and not one more.  That could be one or it could be twenty, but I don't ever promise a specific number.

This essentially ^

Jan 06 15 02:07 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

i send them a proofing gallery via dropbox and let them choose their favorites. then i retouch as many of those as i can. but i try to give them at least 2 per hour of shoot time. and sometimes images don't need much retouching so i can give more.

i have had models retouch my images but what can you do? i just let them have their fun.

Jan 06 15 08:00 am Link

Photographer

rachael-emily

Brighton, England, United Kingdom

I deliver up to five retouched photographs, which I choose.

I also send a proof sheet with every shot from the session, minus blinks or lighting screw ups, so that the model can see the progression of the shoot.

Jan 07 15 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

Viator Defessus Photos

Houston, Texas, US

After the shoot I let the model review all the shots on a big screen and let her assign ratings (usually 5 stars) to the shots that are her favorites. I'll retouch from that grouping until I have a good set/I'm satisfied. The model usually gets a fair number of shots, usually in the 10-20 range depending on how much effort each shot requires. Since these shots are ones that she picked as liking and I picked from her selections, we both like the final set of shots.

Jan 07 15 07:15 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Lafferty

Brooklyn, New York, US

J Andrescavage Photo wrote:

QFMFT

Jan 07 15 08:08 pm Link

Photographer

Amul La La

London, England, United Kingdom

Jim Lafferty wrote:

QFMFT

Quality For My Folio Time..? JL ;-#

Jan 10 15 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

M Barnes Photography

Palmerston North, Manawatu-Wanganui, New Zealand

It varies depending on the shoot, number of looks, etc etc. but ALWAYS is agreed before the shoot day.

On average, around 10. That includes a couple of headshots, at least, as the MUA & hair stylist get the same set.

I pick the images, but they go to the model first, who has right of veto over them.

Jan 11 15 05:41 pm Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

Send what you feel the model has earned. Send them in the form you want them to used. Advise them that alterations other than cropping to fit, for their own use, are not permitted. There is no way you can prohibit cropping to fit.

Jan 12 15 08:37 am Link