Forums > Photography Talk > bye-bye Phase One and Hasselblad cameras

Photographer

moving pictures

Paris, Île-de-France, France

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/nikon-co … mera-soon/

And I own a phase one.  The company, I wager, will survive in a smaller form as software developer for Capture One... which is a great program.

Hasselblad, if they're lucky, will repackage iPhone 3 as the Hasselblad luxury product.  Maybe offer hand carved, ebony on/off buttons.

Jan 22 15 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

This misses the point.

It''s not just about how many megapixels they can cram onto a sensor.

If anything, the Pentax 645D is more destructive to Phase One and Hasselblad than anything Nikon or Sony put out.  Now, if Nikon/Canon/Sony develop a line of medium format sized sensor cameras with some of the bells and whistles that are in their FF camera lines -- and put it in a body that costs under $7k, THEN, that''s the death knell for the Hasselblad.

Don''t forget.  Everyone was saying that the D800 with 36MP would start to infringe on the MF market.  I didn''t see that happen as much as Hasselblad just making some very poor product decisions which were largely rebranded Sony products.

Jan 22 15 04:02 pm Link

Photographer

LaurensAntoine 4 FHM

San Diego, California, US

If someone makes a 200MP 35mm camera it still won''t replace MF. Just make a big workflow mess.

That''s not to say that MF won''t die on it''s own, but sensor size does matter in several major ways.

Jan 22 15 04:09 pm Link

Photographer

Normad2

San Francisco, California, US

LaurensAntoine 4 FHM wrote:
If someone makes a 200MP 35mm camera it still won''''t replace MF. Just make a big workflow mess.

That''''s not to say that MF won''''t die on it''''s own, but sensor size does matter in several major ways.

This is a bit of a strange argument.

In one side you are saying that MF is special because of sensor size.

On another you are saying that is not special, and it will die on its own.

Also, many cameras, including 35mm and cellphone cameras have already replaced MF.
Many things that used to be done on MF are done on 35mm or are done on an iphone or whatever.
That sounds to me like replacement.

And the more MF is replaced, the less viable it becomes and the faster it gets replaced.
I have a hard time imagining any other way for things to go.

Jan 22 15 04:38 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

The argument is that iphones and FF cameras will replace MF cameras.

That argument is flawed.  What do you mean by replace?  Meaning it will do better the job of the existing product.  That's simply not true.  The APPLICATION of the images produced has changed through the internet age.

No longer are most product and model shoots for billboard and print campaigns.  But I would bet that MOST shoots when the intended application is billboard and print, the photographers and graphics teams are using MF cameras.

Have digital cameras replaced film cameras?  The argument can be made.  However, for most artist photographers, film will never die or be replaced.

Did Cassette tape replace vinyl records?  Did CDs replace cassettes?  Did digital download replace everything?
If so, then why was 2014 the biggest year for vinyl record sales on record?
http://www.billboard.com/articles/colum … -high-2014

So while 46 megapixels is a lot.  It's not that much more than 36.  And it'll never be or beat 46MP on a 44x36mm sensor.

Jan 22 15 05:10 pm Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

normad-moth wrote:

In one side you are saying that MF is special because of sensor size.

On another you are saying that is not special, and it will die on its own.

Also, many cameras, including 35mm and cellphone cameras have already replaced MF.
Many things that used to be done on MF are done on 35mm or are done on an iphone or whatever.
That sounds to me like replacement.

And the more MF is replaced, the less viable it becomes and the faster it gets replaced.
I have a hard time imagining any other way for things to go.

So the masses are the only people who matter?  More fodder for the great unwashed and don't worry about anything else?

Maybe...

I hope Phase/Leaf (I shoot Leaf) introduce a true 6x7 sensor, even if it's at 50mp (though I'd prefer 60 or 80).  I'll pay $40K for that.

Jan 22 15 05:14 pm Link

Photographer

moving pictures

Good Egg Productions wrote:
This misses the point.

If anything, the Pentax 645D is more destructive to Phase One and Hasselblad than anything Nikon or Sony put out.  Now, if Nikon/Canon/Sony develop a line of medium format sized sensor cameras with some of the bells and whistles that are in their FF camera lines -- and put it in a body that costs under $7k, THEN, that''s the death knell for the Hasselblad.

Don''t forget.  Everyone was saying that the D800 with 36MP would start to infringe on the MF market.  I didn''t see that happen as much as Hasselblad just making some very poor product decisions which were largely rebranded Sony products.

It's not 100% how many megapixels one can cram into a sensor.  But it's the majority.  If Phase One and Hasselblad are selling 50MP cameras for $30,000 and Canon, Sony, Nikon are doing the same for $3,000, guess who goes down the toilet.  Phase One and Hasselblad already use Sony sensors in their 50MP offerings.  These companies argument will be that their superior color science and big - old - lens are worth a $25,000 difference.  Few photographers are going to buy that.  Those rare few who will be willing shell out the price of a good car for .1% improvement in the images, will not be enough to support the companies continued existence.  So they will go under.

Jan 22 15 05:33 pm Link

Photographer

Voy

Phoenix, Arizona, US

It's not about the price or how many MP can you put in a sensor. It's all about the size of the sensor. There is a difference between FF and crop. Now, imagine the difference on a MF. Not to mention large format. So you can have a million MP on a cell phone but the images are not going to be the same as MF.

Jan 22 15 05:43 pm Link

Photographer

Normad2

Giacomo Cirrincioni wrote:
So the masses are the only people who matter?  More fodder for the great unwashed and don't worry about anything else?

Maybe...

I'm not gonna say that only the masses matter, but the masses matter *a lot*.

I used to hear this argument on the server processors side.
Only my Power5+ matters, because it is better than blah blah intel.
Only my SPARC-7 blah blah. I have a big 21064!
The unwashed intel stuff is just that, unwashed and for the lesser beings.

These days, I believe only Power and SPARC are left, and only for a little bit longer.
Motorola? dead. PARISC? dead. High end MIPS? dead. AXP? dead. I could go on.
CRAY, CSC, etc etc.
Intel + AMD + ARM ate their lunch with cheap processors. And their dinner. And the breakfast.
Heck, they stole their spouses and kids!.

The amount of research and development that you can throw at large volume products makes the small volume products die faster unless they are halo products for the cheap products (who owns.  Maserati?  Ferrari? Fiat, Lamborghini? VW. do you see the pattern? Unwashed take over all the time. Which suggests that the "unwashed" are simply better, imho.)

In an ideal world, that would be the case in the camera products, Leaf is a subsidiary of sony or something. Buuuut, that does not seem to be the case here.,..

I hope Phase/Leaf (I shoot Leaf) introduce a true 6x7 sensor, even if it's at 50mp (though I'd prefer 60 or 80).  I'll pay $40K for that.

I hope you get to shoot to your hearts content in the cameras of your dreams :-)
I hope so for everybody.
It just seems to me that if your dreams are MF, those dreams are trickier than if they are 35 mm.

Jan 22 15 05:55 pm Link

Photographer

Normad2

me voy wrote:
It's not about the price or how many MP can you put in a sensor. It's all about the size of the sensor. There is a difference between FF and crop. Now, imagine the difference on a MF. Not to mention large format. So you can have a million MP on a cell phone but the images are not going to be the same as MF.

sure ...

yet ...
"shot on iphone"
on google:
About 126,000 results (0.37 seconds)

"shot on leaf"
About 4,110 results (0.67 seconds)

(mind the quotation marks)

The images are gonna be different, sure.
Does it matter? For a key demographic: the facebook masses, the answer is not.

Jan 22 15 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

Normad2

Disclaimer:

I have nothing against MF.

I like the idea of their existence smile Some of my favorite photographers swear by their MFs.

I just don't think they are viable for much longer.

Jan 22 15 06:02 pm Link

Photographer

Light and Lens Studio

Sisters, Oregon, US

Medium and Large Format will continue to live via film, albeit the numbers of people using them will continue to dwindle. 

The products that are already developed are excellent, both color and black and white. 

Excellent negative scanners are affordable to serious hobbyists.

It is true that they don't have the convenience and expediency of digital, but to serious hobbyists and some professionals, that really is less important than what they are able to achieve.   Looking back, I'm amazed at how well photography went with MF and film, given the instant gratification of digital (not to mention the lack of 'mess'.

I'm not "in touch with the industry" but I'll venture that we might well be seeing a 6 X 4.5 sensor in not too many years.  Will it be Baern or Foveon technology.  Who knows.  The latter has only recently been introduced; the first Baern camera's weren't all that great.   One thing I'd like to see is even better high iso/low light performance (low noise).   Just did a test shot with my D800 and a new D810 in existing, low light.  Resolution was noticeably better  but the low light/high ISO performance was a tad disappointing. 

Great discussion thread.

Jan 22 15 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

Personality Imaging

Hoover, Alabama, US

Imagine how many megapixels that they could cram onto a 44 X 36 mm sensor for people like me who shoot only at 100 ISO and don't shoot video or action.

Jan 22 15 06:28 pm Link

Photographer

moving pictures

me voy wrote:

Considering I shoot primarily with a Phase One, I'm well acquainted with that difference.  Well, me and less than 1% of the population.  And how many photographers will be willing to pay a $25,000 premium so that less than 1% of the population can say... ah, he shot it on an MF camera.  Most magazines don't care.  You certainly can't tell on instagram, which is becoming more important to photography (at least fashion) with every passing day.

There is also the issue that MF cameras are a pain in the ass to work with.  An issue one would work with when there was a significant difference between MF and FF.  But when the RAW sizes are the same, the smidgeon of benefit of a MF sensor versus FF, will not be tolerable when compared with the reliability, lens selection, and easy of use of Nikon, Sony, and Canon gear.

Btw, the price of used MF gear on ebay is tanking.   Not surprising.

Jan 22 15 06:30 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

The D800/e had an impact on the MF market for several reasons, of which high MP count was a fairly minor one. The d800 had the MP to raise eyebrows in the MF community, but it was the dynamic range and color accuracy that really made it an interesting alternate. Glass was probably the biggest factor in the D800 not having a more significant impact in the MF community. Mind you, the Sony a7r, despite using a similar chip (NOT the 'same' chip -- they are not interchangeable) lacks the DR and color accuracy of the nikon, and is even less of a MF competitor. The biggest factor In the impact of the D800 on MF is the absolute stagnation of MF CCD sensors over the past 3-5 years. CCDs may have several inherent advantages over CMOS chips, but since about 2005 no-one has been investing much $$$ in CCD technology, while hundreds of millions, or more, has gone into CMOS and derivative techs. Sony is the first company to make a CMOS MF sensor, and the leap forward in technology is huge in an otherwise static market.

I don't see a 46mp FF sensor having much impact on the MF market without significant new glass. I think even the Otus lenses are not matching the full potential of the D800e. That's where MF has a big advantage.

Jan 22 15 06:37 pm Link

Photographer

LaurensAntoine 4 FHM

normad-moth wrote:

cellphone cameras have already replaced MF.

I honestly don't even know how to comment back to a post that contains this.

Jan 22 15 06:41 pm Link

Photographer

LaurensAntoine 4 FHM

me voy wrote:

This is a big part of it, as is the aperture size you can shoot with the same depth of field. So are lenses. Plus there's more glass to work with when using a bigger sensor (or film plane). I used to comment about "that MF look" without really being able to describe it (other than DOF and the obvious) and then a friend at a camera shop who constantly amazed me with his brilliance mentioned he believed it was more about the lenses than anything else.

As a comparison, shoot a Canon with say a 85mm 1.2 at 2,8. You'll get a comparable perspective and DOF with the Hassy 135 at 5.6. The difference is astounding.

WIth all that said though, I still can see the end of MF - best case probably boiling down to one manufacturer.

Jan 22 15 06:48 pm Link

Photographer

David M Russell

New York, New York, US

That did actually happen, I think.

Jan 22 15 07:04 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

i am still sad that MF is going away.  I always looked up to the big cameras.  I know Mamiya had a 6x7 and Hassy had a 6x6.  I don't cheer for their demise the way many here have done.  I didn't even think it was a bad thing that Hassy rebadged the sony camera.  But it turned out to be a pr nightmare.

Jan 22 15 07:42 pm Link

Photographer

PitchBlack

Palm Beach, Florida, US

Most people who proclaim the end of MF have never shot MF... it's a different shooting experience and the photos look different. I love the angle of view of MF that is very hard to reproduce on FF without using lenses that are super long and having to stand so far back from the model that you lose all sense of rapport. It's a matter of optics, not megapixels.

Jan 22 15 09:23 pm Link

Photographer

Voy

Phoenix, Arizona, US

PitchBlack wrote:
Most people who proclaim the end of MF have never shot MF... it's a different shooting experience and the photos look different. I love the angle of view of MF that is very hard to reproduce on FF without using lenses that are super long and having to stand so far back from the model that you lose all sense of rapport. It's a matter of optics, not megapixels.

+1000

Jan 22 15 09:35 pm Link

Photographer

Michael McGowan

Tucson, Arizona, US

If I could afford a digital MF camera, I'd have one. I've shot with cameras from 20x24 (wall mounted) down to micro-mini cameras both film and digital. During the years I used MF, I dearly loved the results, Unfortunately, I couldn't afford to step up to MF digital ... and I'm over the entirety of the film "experience."

Jan 22 15 09:54 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

PitchBlack wrote:

I haven't shot a lot of MF, but in the 90s when I was primarily shooting 35mm Kodachrome, I shot some MF chromes and it is a different look - definitely wanted one (I'd rent) - but never could afford it.

Now with digital, I'd love to have a MF digital, but my feeling is that I'm not about to spend all that money for what is presently available (MF crop sensors). If I'm going to go MF digital, I want MF size so it mimics MF film. I've lived through the technological compromise of 35mm crop sensors and now that I have the technology to mimic 35mm chrome, I'm not about to pay all that money just to go with a sort-of MF technological compromise.

Jan 22 15 10:06 pm Link

Photographer

alessandro2009

Florence, Toscana, Italy

If Hasselblad and Phase One (and partially Leica) dramatically improving their camera bodies while deciding, at the same time, to practice the same prices as the Pentax body (1) for their digital back (Hasselblad and Phase One),  I think they could increase their market share (some point percent), since the majority of the full-frame lens already struggling with 36 megapixels.

1) The huge difference in price between product that use the same Cmos Sony sensor is entirely unjustifiable.

Jan 23 15 12:33 am Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

This is old news. MF has been obsolete since the late 70s,when everyone's parents bought a 110 instamatic and put their brownies in the closet.

At least, that's the logic that you're running with here.

Jan 23 15 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

Schlake

Socorro, New Mexico, US

J O H N  A L L A N wrote:
Now with digital, I'd love to have a MF digital, but my feeling is that I'm not about to spend all that money for what is presently available (MF crop sensors). If I'm going to go MF digital, I want MF size so it mimics MF film. I've lived through the technological compromise of 35mm crop sensors and now that I have the technology to mimic 35mm chrome, I'm not about to pay all that money just to go with a sort-of MF technological compromise.

My thought is that MF is a nice idea, better than tiny FF DSLR sensors, but we need big sensors to really take advantage of photography.  I want a 30cm by 30cm sensor that has about 36MP.  That would make me very happy.

Jan 23 15 04:53 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

alessandro2009 wrote:
If Hasselblad and Phase One (and partially Leica) dramatically improving their camera bodies while deciding, at the same time, to practice the same prices as the Pentax body (1) for their digital back (Hasselblad and Phase One),  I think they could increase their market share (some point percent), since the majority of the full-frame lens already struggling with 36 megapixels.

1) The huge difference in price between product that use the same Cmos Sony sensor is entirely unjustifiable.

The sensor is only one part of the camera. Zeiss and Schneider have both produced the exact same lenses for different brands of vastly different price and quality. Back in the 60s you could buy a Kodak with the same German Schneider lens on it as an Exacta or some Alpas, minus a different mount. That does not mean the Kodak was as good as an Alpa, and the used prices today bear that out. All that means is that one specific part was as good as the Alpa ... And even then, that's assuming that the cameras are made to the same tolerances, which they were not.

Jan 23 15 04:54 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Did Cassette tape replace vinyl records?  Did CDs replace cassettes?  Did digital download replace everything?
If so, then why was 2014 the biggest year for vinyl record sales on record?

WHOH...slow down there Professor! Did you even bother to read the article? It was the biggest year on record SINCE 1991, which is when Nielson started tracking this data to compare it against CDs and cassettes. That doesn't really say much. The biggest selling vinyl album in this sample period only sold 87,000 copies.

Jan 23 15 05:23 pm Link

Photographer

Carl Herbert

Bellevue, Washington, US

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for medium format cameras to disappear. Medium format has a very determined following who feel it gives them the results they want. The Nikon D800 was probably good enough when introduced to unravel at least some of the medium format cachet, but I haven't heard that it might have. In fact, I saw a lot of interest in the Pentax 645Z even despite all the fantastic results from the D800.

The 36Mpx sensor is great for utilizing the resolution of Nikon's best lenses, but there is a limit to the optical resolution potential for a given sensor size and pixel dimensions. The larger sensor size potential of a medium format camera will always allow greater potential resolution when comparing lenses of comparable quality.

So the question might be whether the optical masters at Nikon can squeeze finer resolution from a lens than the optical designers who work for Hasselblad, Pentax, etc. Maybe so, but I can't imagine how expensive those lenses will be.

Jan 23 15 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Bennett

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

A little perspective on legacy products surviving. An LP only costs a few dollars to make and no new research is needed to make one. MF cameras cost a lot to make and new research, which is necessary to keep up with FF, costs mega-bucks.

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/vinylunits.jpg?152cd9

Jan 23 15 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

moving pictures

Lot of replies here are that MF won't go away for good.  I don't think anybody is arguing against that.  After all, there are people out there still using wet plate process.  My point is that the annual number of MF purchasers will drastically taper off as Nikon, Sony, and Canon release viable and far less expensive alternatives.  The far diminished cash inflow will not let P1 or Hassy survive in anything near their present form.

Jan 23 15 09:23 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

moving pictures wrote:
Lot of replies here are that MF won't go away for good.  I don't think anybody is arguing against that.  After all, there are people out there still using wet plate process.  My point is that the annual number of MF purchasers will drastically taper off as Nikon, Sony, and Canon release viable and far less expensive alternatives.  The far diminished cash inflow will not let P1 or Hassy survive in anything near their present form.

Still old news. From a standpoint of overall market relevance (see the previous post on LPs), digital MF hasn't been big enough to push the market one way or the other for about 4 years, or whenever the first 20MP+ FF cameras came to market.

We're talking about a product that, with all brands together, has optimistically one-half of one percent of the overall market. It is the Ferrari of the camera world:  equal parts worth it, a waste of money, and just bragging rights depending on the buyer.

At the current market share, Phase One(or everyone, for that matter) could sell half the cameras in 2015, and it wouldn't affect anything. They could also sell double, and that wouldn't affect the market as a whole either.

Jan 23 15 10:12 pm Link

Photographer

alessandro2009

Florence, Toscana, Italy

Zack Zoll wrote:
The sensor is only one part of the camera.

Sure but in any case even just lower the cost of the body/digital back contribute to lowering the cost of access to this kind of systems.

Jan 24 15 12:22 am Link

Photographer

moving pictures

Zack Zoll wrote:

Still old news. From a standpoint of overall market relevance (see the previous post on LPs), digital MF hasn't been big enough to push the market one way or the other for about 4 years, or whenever the first 20MP+ FF cameras came to market.

We're talking about a product that, with all brands together, has optimistically one-half of one percent of the overall market. It is the Ferrari of the camera world:  equal parts worth it, a waste of money, and just bragging rights depending on the buyer.

At the current market share, Phase One(or everyone, for that matter) could sell half the cameras in 2015, and it wouldn't affect anything. They could also sell double, and that wouldn't affect the market as a whole either.

Zack,

I'm not talking about market relevance, but about company finances.  You don't think that if P1 or Hassy only sold half the cameras in 2015 then they did in the previous years, they're not going to face bankruptcy?  I do.

Jan 24 15 01:03 am Link

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

Now, if Nikon/Canon/Sony develop a line of medium format sized sensor cameras with some of the bells and whistles that are in their FF camera lines --

Probably not as Nikon ect have been in partnership with Capture One for tethering and image processing.
If Nikon ect were taking the route of developing a medium format they would avoid the Phase One partnership and develop their own capture ect program.

Sony Development

Phase One today announced that starting today, a special version of Phase One’s Capture One Express software will be available free of charge for owners of selected Sony cameras worldwide. Now, these Sony camera owners can leverage the renowned high-quality raw image conversion that Capture One delivers. “Sony shows great innovation and leadership in the photography industry,” said Henrik O. Håkonsson, CEO and President of Phase One. “We are excited and proud to be cooperating with Sony to provide advanced photographers with tools that bring out the best in their images.” Additionally, Phase One has developed a special version of its Capture One Pro software that gives Sony camera owners access to more pro grade features.

Jan 24 15 05:49 am Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

PitchBlack wrote:

Exactly. This has always been my point. But I must also add, the price has always been the other factor. Imo, medium format as a whole is not going away. I think that Phase and Hassy's demise has more to do with Pentax's MUCH cheaper price compared to the other two that share the same sensor. It's a no brainer to me, if I want a to shoot with a camera where it's more like a dslr with a lower and reasonable price. Those high price days are over with.

Jan 24 15 09:13 am Link

Photographer

PitchBlack

Palm Beach, Florida, US

One of my biggest concerns with shooting MF is just simply traveling with the gear you need to take photos. I travel internationally and need to minimize what I have to carry. MF just gets impractical unless you are traveling with a big team, and my clients are super happy with my D800 and set of primes. Crappy AFs and limited lighting options are the final nails in the coffin for me. I would totally consider Pentax if they dealt with these issues and came out with a great leaf lens.

MF is a long way from being dead; if anything, I think that as the cost of making larger sensors comes down, more and more pro photographers will look to it. I do believe, however, that the days of ultra high priced MF cameras are coming to an end.

Jan 24 15 11:05 am Link

Photographer

John Fisher

Miami Beach, Florida, US

There are a lot of things that go into the demise of medium format, but today the resolution of the sensor is probably the least important. Back in the days of film,  medium format gave you two very distinctive advantages over 35mm, first the images did have a noticeably better resolution when printed in a wedding album, or scanned for magazine reproduction. Also, you could shoot with 400 ISO film which meant you could work in lower light with a faster shutter speed than you could  with 35mm (particularly true when most magazines would only accept ISO 25 Kodachrome when you shot with 35mm!). A less important (at the time) advantage of medium format was the bigger lenses with their corresponding shorter depth of field than you would experience with 35mm. (By the way, that's why most fashion photographers do prefer the full frame 35mm DSLR's. That small sensor in the cropped sensor cameras mean that you have less control over depth of field than you do with FF.)

Today, you get all the clean resolution you could want shooting at 800 ISO with any reasonably new 35mm DSLR, and it's hard to figure out why you need more pure resolution (photosites on the sensor) than you have with a modern 35mm DSLR., Those medium format lenses do however still resolve better and give a distinctive look to images, and so there is at least one reason why medium format isn't completely dead yet Ergonomics was never a highlight of shooting with medium format, and it's even more true today. Years ago I shot with the Mamiya 645, the Hasselblad 500 series, and even the Pentax 645 medium format cameras, and I don't miss having to handhold those cameras when shooting fashion.

I don't think improved 35mm resolution is/was the death of medium format (although it didn't help). In my opinion improved ISO performance in 35mm DSLR's, ergonomics and cost were probably the more important factors.

John
--
John Fisher
700 Euclid Avenue, Suite 110
Miami Beach, Florida 33139
(305) 534-9322
http://www.johnfisher.com

Jan 24 15 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

This misses the point.

I know I want the Pentax, and to reuse some of my old/favorite lens.  No interest in yet another mount system from Sony - great technology but they still treat the pro market like the consumer market of disposable goods.  That does work nor does it make good business sense for the photographer.

Jan 24 15 02:35 pm Link

Photographer

Sichenze Photography

Powhatan, Virginia, US

I think the Pentax 645Z and now this new sensor will continue the destruction of the MF line.  It has been shrinking as it is but we will all be worse off for it too. Not everything is the number of MP but it is the size of the pixels too.

Jan 24 15 07:43 pm Link