Forums > Photography Talk > Online Proofing Options - BUT with ZOOM feature ??

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Highdy Ho there Neighbor!!!

Okay most of us are familiar with sites like Smugmug and Zenfolio and a number of others for "online proofing" of photos, but from what I have seen, they all seem to be lacking one very important thing.

I am wanting to find such a site/service that allows the viewer (such as a model) to ZOOM in on the photo to be able to take a closer look at details in the image.

Especially for vertical images, these site's image display does not allow seeing just part of the image, it always shrinks them down to the browser size.

What are some options that allow password protected galleries where a model can actually zoom in to look at detail areas in a photo, rather than being limited to dynamic resized that always shrink the image down to stay within the browser.

Jan 28 15 10:12 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ArtistryImage

Washington, District of Columbia, US

DougBPhoto wrote:
I am wanting ... a site/service that allows the viewer ... to ZOOM in on the photo to be able to take a closer look at details in the image..

Doug this has been available in Photoshop for some time now...

The feature is called "Zoomify"
Here is a video that demos Zoomify in Photoshop...
Kinda like Google Maps...

That said, you'll have to log in as "root" in ftp to place this on your web site...
Yes you'll have to code the page yourself (or retain a web developer to do it for you)

Seriously would advise moving away from "canned" sites like most of the "herd" uses...
Or at least purchase the package that affords you the ability to code your pages...

Hope this helps...

Jan 30 15 09:12 am Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

ArtistryImage wrote:
Doug this has been available in Photoshop for some time now...

The feature is called "Zoomify"
Here is a video that demos Zoomify in Photoshop...
Kinda like Google Maps...

That said, you'll have to log in as "root" in ftp to place this on your web site...
Yes you'll have to code the page yourself (or retain a web developer to do it for you)

Seriously would advise moving away from "canned" sites like most of the "herd" uses...
Or at least purchase the package that affords you the ability to code your pages...

Hope this helps...

Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately, I am wanting something that will work for entire galleries and can easily move between photos, and ideally something that I would not need to get back into web site programming to complete.

I appreciate your advice on moving away from "canned" sites, but the reality is that for my type of photo business, they are the best option out there.   Sure, I could pay to have something custom programmed, but I'd wind up with essentially the same exact thing and pay a fuckton more.... for no good reason or major benefits.

Which leads back to my initial simple question... online proofing/gallery services that support zooming.

Jan 30 15 09:39 am Link

Photographer

Daniel LaHaie

Portland, Oregon, US

I use the Turning Gate's client response gallery. Creates a web based gallery from your selections in Lightroom, from which the model can pick and choose from. I don't think you can zoom in to the photos as you like, but it does allow the model the option to download higher rez versions of the photos, which can then be zoomed in. Also the galleries can be password protected and is customizable.

Best part of the whole deal is, after the model is through with picking out their choices, they just fill out a simple form and hit "send", and I get all their choices sent to me by email, which then can be used to filter out their choices from the rest of the photos I took that day. Just copy and paste their choices into the library text filter, and "Bamp!" there they are.

You will have to upload all the gallery files to your website though, as the turning gate does not host your galleries for you. Overall pretty simple setup and easy for the models since all they have to do is click and send.

If you are interested, here's the link:
http://shop.theturninggate.net/collecti … oducts/crg

Jan 30 15 04:02 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Thanks Daniel

I will take a look at them, but a proofing system where the model (or client) download full-resolution images to then open with normal on-computer photo viewing software, I might as well just put the files on Dropbox and not bother with anything else.

The underlying idea is to streamline things, to avoid them needing to download the full (or high) res proofs to examine details in order to decide which to select.

It just seems so amazing to me that after all this time, there is no zoom option.

Group photo, client wants to look at expressions of individuals, nope, can't zoom.   Vertical scenic photo with client at bottom on foreground, zoom in to look close, nope, not supported.

Jan 30 15 04:12 pm Link

Photographer

tenrocK photo

New York, New York, US

You will need to upload full res files for any zoom option to be working though, unless your clients want to look at pixelated images.

Jan 31 15 12:47 am Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

tenrocK photo wrote:
You will need to upload full res files for any zoom option to be working though, unless your clients want to look at pixelated images.

Duh, thank you Captain Obvious.

Still need an actual site that has support for zooming built in though.

Jan 31 15 09:56 am Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Despite the other much appreciated suggestions, it would appear we are not aware of a ready-to-use site that features zooming, as asked in the original post?

Feb 08 15 10:20 am Link