Forums > Photography Talk > Getting "Fake Published" vs "Really Published"

Photographer

Nakrani Studios

Apex, North Carolina, US

I don't know that "Fake published" is the right word, But most of us are here because at some point, we either photograph models now, have in the past, or plan on it in the future.

When I think about getting "published" it is in a Print magazine that I can walk up to a news stand, or find in a book store and purchase. Where they have a "real" editor and staff, and have a Real office that you can make an appointment and meet with them if you need to.

I am talking about magazines like Vogue, Teen, Shape, Muscle Mag, Harpers, Playboy, etc.

Along comes "social media", now we can't get rid of social media, but in the last couple years there have been allot of these so called magazines pop up on places like Facebook. I am talking about Facebook pages that call them selves "Magazines"

Specifically the ones that models go crazy over because they think they will make a big name for themselves over some popularity contest due to the exposure.

Typically the model will bug the photographer to submit, or submit photo's with out the photographers permission because they "have to win this contest"

So I read the instructions on a few of these so called magazines and submitted photo's to them (low resolution samples) and got emails back that they liked images such and such from the group of samples I sent.

They also requested high resolution versions of these images (RED FLAG). They also sent release forms saying that the photographer can't sue them for usage of the photo's online and in print, blah, blah, blah,etc.(Red Flag 2)

They also wanted photo's without the watermarks on them (Really?)

So I start googling these (creeps) and allot of them are making a profit selling PDF files as on line magazines with our images in them, usually for $18-30. Most of them use a service called Magcloud. Mag cloud charges around  $12(+/-) to host your "PDF Magzine" and provide the services to sell it.

Why would a photographer let some bogus company use their images for profit and not get a kick back of some kind. Legitimate magazines use advertisers to cover the cost of the magazine.

If you look up these so called "magazines", they don't have a web address, they don't have a business address, and they are using gmail to correspond with the models and photographers (this sounds more like a South African credit card scheme now)/ Buyer be ware.

But wow, the models get sucked in hook line and sinker.

I did not want to name any of them specifically but I am sure you all know many of the ones I would have mentioned. Do any of you really submit to these creeps? Has it done anything for you or your business?

And when these people email you, wow, You can tell it's a scam because they don't know how to talk to potential clients.

Jan 31 15 05:02 pm Link

Photographer

Viator Defessus Photos

Houston, Texas, US

Nakrani Studios wrote:
Do any of you really submit to these creeps?

Yes, though I don't think it's fair to call them all creeps.

As with everything there are good ones that are really trying to put out something nice and there are a lot of bad ones that are total shit. There's a growing list of these things that I will never touch again because of how they act or how they correspond with me or the models. As time goes on though I'm getting to fine-tune things a little and have a list of decent POD mags that seem to be worth dealing with.

Nakrani Studios wrote:
Has it done anything for you or your business?

Not really, no. At best it makes me look slightly more impressive to the same models you're talking about and a few clients. It does however seem to be making it easier for my girlfriend and some of the models I shoot with to get some of the local GWCs to shoot with them. Maybe I need to start charging the girls to do these shoots that they're going to want to submit later. lol It seems to be doing them more good than me.

Jan 31 15 06:49 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

This is not a new phenomenon. There used to be actual magazines like this, and we called them 'Vanity Magazines.' Basically the existed only because the publisher wanted to publish something that existing mags wouldn't take. W and Interview started this way, though one of them turned into a real magazine. W ran at a loss for years, because it was a feather in some caps, regardless of its lack of success. As memory served, it was a oversized mag on good stock, at the same price as a standard mag. Not even Vogue could turn a profit that way.

Back then, you needed to be rich to make those mags. But just like YouTube let's anyone make the next Bruce Willis record, Facebook lets anyone be an editor.

A few years ago, I was 'signed up' as the go-to photographer for a tattoo mag. I had about ten girls write or call me to shoot, and realized that the girls and the publisher both thought the other one was paying.

I shot a couple of the girls TF for my own projects, got almost nothing good, and the magazine folded.

Jan 31 15 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

Viator Defessus Photos

Houston, Texas, US

Zack Zoll wrote:
... and the magazine folded.

With MagCloud and Facebook a lot of these things have got to be nearly zero-cost operations. When one of them fails it's usually attributed to one of three causes:

1) They couldn't get enough submissions or any kind of quality to make the magazine work. I don't see this one often because in a lot of cases the editors will decide they also want to be the photographers and they'll start shooting terrible work with bad models to fill their own pages.
2) The time investment was getting to be too much for them to maintain.
3) They weren't getting enough money to make the time investment worth it.

Jan 31 15 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

JAE

West Chester, Pennsylvania, US

There are a few decent magcloud magazines out there, but most of them are complete shit.  I see people bragging about being in these things every day, but the only people that read and buy these magazines are the people published in them (since they don't get a free print copy usually). I decline offers from these publications regularly since they do not pay or have any sort of real viewer base.  Best to just ignore them.

Jan 31 15 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

Viator Defessus Photos

Houston, Texas, US

Nakrani Studios wrote:
So I start googling these (creeps) and allot of them are making a profit selling PDF files as on line magazines with our images in them, usually for $18-30. Most of them use a service called Magcloud. Mag cloud charges around  $12(+/-) to host your "PDF Magzine" and provide the services to sell it.

Why would a photographer let some bogus company use their images for profit and not get a kick back of some kind. Legitimate magazines use advertisers to cover the cost of the magazine.

Just to provide a different perspective, consider the following:

ModelMayhem hosted an article by the editor of an online fashion magazine: https://www.modelmayhem.com/education/p … their-work

This magazine can't be bought in stores and obviously doesn't meet your standard of getting published for real, but MM gave him the time of day and whatever credibility that might make you afford it/him.

He made that article to talk about the things photographers tend to screw up on when submitting their work.

MM also hosted another article IIRC where-in a male model talked about how he got published/got covers.

At a minimum, going through this kind of submission process with the online and magcloud magazines that aren't crap serves as a form of practice and fine tuning for going into bigger magazines that you and they might hold in higher regard. In that way, it has some value.

Jan 31 15 09:34 pm Link

Photographer

BCADULTART

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Sorry Yall,

I was a magazine photographer back when the "real magazines" published weekly and monthly.
I am still a photographer, just not a "Magazine" photographer.  The business has changed a lot
and some very good journalism is being done online.

No my name is not Bob Capa or Gene Smith, but I'm sure they would contribute to many of the
better on line "zines"

BCAA

Jan 31 15 09:38 pm Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Nakrani Studios wrote:
I don't know that "Fake published" is the right word, But most of us are here because at some point, we either photograph models now, have in the past, or plan on it in the future.

--snip--
They also requested high resolution versions of these images (RED FLAG). They also sent release forms saying that the photographer can't sue them for usage of the photo's online and in print, blah, blah, blah,etc.(Red Flag 2)

They also wanted photo's without the watermarks on them (Really?)

--snip--

When a model asks me for help in submitting to these publications, I help them.

Your red flags are not even something I worry about in the least. Of course, the publication wants a high res image. They need something that still produces high quality images when printed to a 8x10" or so. A low res jpeg of 800x1200 pixels won't do them a good job of a full page image (100pixels per inch). They need twice that if not three times.

Typical usage agreements involve getting permission to publish your images. They realize you still own the copyright, so you need to specifically grant them permission - sometimes called a photographer's release. No red flag to me on this one.

No watermarks seems appropriate. I haven't see any major magazine publish images with some photographer's huge logo splattered across the image. Why should a e-zine do it? So allow a small signature or logo in the corner; some do not.

Magcloud allows print per request. The editor no longer needs to buy 1000's of copies to get a reasonable printing cost, and then worry whether he can sell each one. If the customer is willing to pay for the $12 printed copy, they get it. Or they can get a PDF version to read for much less.

While these are not publishers of the Vogue or Playboy likes, they have their markets. If a model is excited about getting into a smaller publication, I'm happy for them. Why shouldn't I help them by following the requested submissions?

If Vogue or Playboy sent you any of those requirements, you might bend over backwards to comply with the requests. I really do not see any red flags. Just some smaller publication trying to produce something of quality, and worth the charges to their customers. Low res, watermark images with questionable permissions are best left for on-line viewing, not print.

Feb 01 15 12:31 am Link

Photographer

Kent Art Photography

Ashford, England, United Kingdom

I think I would like to be the creep making the money from selling the PDF files - or maybe the company hosting the creep making the money from selling the PDF files.

If I was younger and had more of a need to make money, then I might look at these things more positively and take advantage of markets that weren't around in my day.

Feb 01 15 01:32 am Link

Model

Nym Faea

San Francisco, California, US

Photographers, models, MUA's, anyone else remotely involved with this industry - everyone is susceptible to the temptation of feigned fame.

I just posted an availability notice specifying that publication in and of itself is not worthy of trade; quality is key. I recall meeting a photographer once who used the criteria, "trees died". If no foliage was slaughtered, it wasn't a worthy publication.

Some models pursue every possible publication and advertise each as a triumph, but not always for their own glory - a lot of photographers and hobbyists see these 'tearsheets' as achievements. Who's to say it's not a worthwhile endeavor? Some models make their fame via MM contests, others by consistent commercial work; there are those who develop their own celebrity with a charming personality and distinct look, and then there are those that just quietly market their skills. I've seen models thrive on these "fake publications" because they have tapped in to a client base that values their look and aspire to these web magazines. Maybe it's not all the fame and glory of a catwalk superstar, but many models make a living this way, and some are very successful and happy.

Every model is going to find her own recipe for success, specially designed to exemplify her skills and tune in to whatever client base desires those.

Sure, some might be scammy, trashy, horrendous. There are also a lot of them that are providing just enough notoriety that the average hobbyist can enjoy a small dose of exposure and feel accomplished. Just as there are different models, and unique photographers; each publication will have its own shtick.

Feb 01 15 01:38 am Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

Nakrani Studios wrote:
I don't know that "Fake published" is the right word, But most of us are here because at some point, we either photograph models now, have in the past, or plan on it in the future..

I did not want to name any of them specifically but I am sure you all know many of the ones I would have mentioned. Do any of you really submit to these creeps? Has it done anything for you or your business?

And when these people email you, wow, You can tell it's a scam because they don't know how to talk to potential clients.

I've been submitting to many Mag Cloud magazines among other print magazines. It costs nothing to submit or be published, and does make the models and myself happy. The more people who see my work, the more that are interested in shooting with me. Photography is my hobby, not my job. Much better to have pictures seen than to keep them on a hard drive.

I shot for two newspapers in my teens and was published many times, doesn't mean a thing now.

If you don't want to submit to these 'magazines' , don't. Not the right choice for everyone. Concentrate on your own business plan.

Feb 01 15 07:03 am Link

Photographer

L2Photography net

University City, Missouri, US

"published" check with my name on it means more to me.
L2

Feb 01 15 07:13 am Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

As a long time believer in print with newsstand distribution, I gotta say that
what constitutes "published" these days is definitely changing. There are some
VERY good online publications that show great work and have a good layout.
Basic guidelines for magazine/ website
1. Website's general appearance and Alexa ranking.
2. Standard of other work published in the publication.
3. Number and kinds of advertisers
4. Number of editorials published yearly.

However, bullshit as the OP described is still bullshit.

Feb 01 15 09:20 am Link

Photographer

Personality Imaging

Hoover, Alabama, US

I couldn't care less about publications.   Especially online crap.

Feb 01 15 09:51 am Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

I think when people start using the terms "real" and "fake" to distinguish between their choices/accomplishments/self-perceptions and those of other people, they're generally more concerned with reminding the world of their own importance than with anything else.  If Joe-next-door feels proud of being published in an on-line magazine, exhibited in a coffee shop, self publishing a book, or what ever else he chooses to do with his images, then the only person who has a right to say whether that accomplishment is legitimate or not is Joe, and people who take it upon themselves to denigrate Joe and belittle his accomplishment are really just exposing their own insecurities for the world to see.

Feb 01 15 09:58 am Link

Photographer

Michael McGowan

Tucson, Arizona, US

Once upon a time, you could pick up a copy of Newsweek. Now we see "expert" reporters from The Daily Beast and Huffington Post on TV all the time.

Publishing isn't what it used to be. And even back when paper publishing was clearly what mattered, magazines wanted images without watermarks (really). They still do. Want to check this out? see how many images are watermarked in any of the major magazines or even newspapers. Just doesn't happen.

A lot of the griping I hear about magazine submissions comes about because people don't understand what publishers need. This goes for online magazines, too. The better ones all follow the pattern laid out for them by paper mags.

Feb 01 15 10:05 am Link

Photographer

Nakrani Studios

Apex, North Carolina, US

Michael McGowan wrote:
Once upon a time, you could pick up a copy of Newsweek. Now we see "expert" reporters from The Daily Beast and Huffington Post on TV all the time.

Publishing isn't what it used to be. And even back when paper publishing was clearly what mattered, magazines wanted images without watermarks (really). They still do. Want to check this out? see how many images are watermarked in any of the major magazines or even newspapers. Just doesn't happen.

A lot of the griping I hear about magazine submissions comes about because people don't understand what publishers need. This goes for online magazines, too. The better ones all follow the pattern laid out for them by paper mags.

Michael, Legit "periodicals" is one thing. These e-zines, online magazines(Not everyone, but a majority of them) have no credentials. They are fly by night, no ownership or responsibility.

Of course if a legit paper or magazine wanted to use an image, it would be provided without a watermark.

Feb 01 15 11:40 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

So You understand the game

If you are still interested in shooting the models who are falling for this

why not shoot half your content for the models purposes and half for your own ?

Feb 01 15 11:49 am Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

The on line "magazines", are just a sign of how desperate a lot of people are, to get noticed.

I pay no attention to them at all.

Feb 01 15 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

L2Photography net wrote:
"published" check with my name on it means more to me.
L2

Which is usually the one feature that is lacking.

Studio36

Feb 01 15 02:49 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Just a side note for the US readers - Because this is a board with an international membership it is important to note that in the REST OF THE WORLD photographers, as authors of their work, have legally binding moral rights and universally that includes the right, in law and morally, to be identified as the author of their work. That can be by way of a watermark or by way of a credit. Many of the so-called publishers offer neither option.

Worst of the lot are those that demand unmarked images, won't print a credit line in text, -AND- then put their own name or the name of their website on the images they deign to "publish".

Copyright law can also be fickle about such things when, as it does in some countries, it clearly holds that the name on the image is the "presumptive owner of the copyright" as is the case in a number of European countries. And, further, that the right to recover damages depends on prior marking of images should they be infringed.

Y'all need to see the bigger picture [so to speak]. And in order to do that you first need to understand that there is a bigger picture.

Studio36

Feb 01 15 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

studio36uk wrote:
Just a side note for the US readers - Because this is a board with an international membership it is important to note that in the REST OF THE WORLD photographers, as authors of their work, have legally binding moral rights and universally that includes the right, in law and morally, to be identified as the author of their work. That can be by way of a watermark or by way of a credit. Many of the so-called publishers offer neither option. Studio36

So far, I have images in 8 different  Mag Cloud magazines. I have photo credits on the first page of each submission, and in the index. So do the model, the MU and H person and often the tattoo artist. I wouldn't be submitting if there was no way to identify our work. It brings me more work, that's reward enough for me.

I don't see why so many get worked up over what other people choose to do with their images.

Feb 01 15 06:03 pm Link

Photographer

juliarabkin

Rochester, New York, US

photo212grapher wrote:

When a model asks me for help in submitting to these publications, I help them.

Your red flags are not even something I worry about in the least. Of course, the publication wants a high res image. They need something that still produces high quality images when printed to a 8x10" or so. A low res jpeg of 800x1200 pixels won't do them a good job of a full page image (100pixels per inch). They need twice that if not three times.

Typical usage agreements involve getting permission to publish your images. They realize you still own the copyright, so you need to specifically grant them permission - sometimes called a photographer's release. No red flag to me on this one.

No watermarks seems appropriate. I haven't see any major magazine publish images with some photographer's huge logo splattered across the image. Why should a e-zine do it? So allow a small signature or logo in the corner; some do not.

Magcloud allows print per request. The editor no longer needs to buy 1000's of copies to get a reasonable printing cost, and then worry whether he can sell each one. If the customer is willing to pay for the $12 printed copy, they get it. Or they can get a PDF version to read for much less.

While these are not publishers of the Vogue or Playboy likes, they have their markets. If a model is excited about getting into a smaller publication, I'm happy for them. Why shouldn't I help them by following the requested submissions?

If Vogue or Playboy sent you any of those requirements, you might bend over backwards to comply with the requests. I really do not see any red flags. Just some smaller publication trying to produce something of quality, and worth the charges to their customers. Low res, watermark images with questionable permissions are best left for on-line viewing, not print.

+1

I'm the creative director of a fashion magazine and I don't understand your issue with smaller magazines??

Feb 01 15 06:12 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Red Sky Photography wrote:
I don't see why so many get worked up over what other people choose to do with their images.

Because sometimes what they are doing, or not doing, as the case might be, causes no end of grief to others, both the business of photography itself and individuals.

Studio36

Feb 01 15 06:33 pm Link

Model

Bon voyage MM

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

Published means print to me. Nothing less. I don't consider you published in Penthouse if you are only online.

Feb 01 15 06:37 pm Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

studio36uk wrote:

Because sometimes what they are doing, or not doing, as the case might be, causes no end of grief to others, both the business of photography itself and individuals.

Studio36

Photography is my hobby. It's not my place to help you or anyone else succeed in your business.

I'm a professional Automotive technician. Do you think I worry about anyone doing a tune up in their driveway, for themselves or their friends for FREE. I could say they are taking work away from me, but people come to me for my knowledge and experience. If you think my hobby is taking work away from you, then you better step up your game.

Feb 01 15 06:56 pm Link

Photographer

Julietsdream

Burbank, California, US

*OP....Why are you hating so much on what other people are doing with their photos...I noticed you don't have any credits for so called real OR 'fake' magazines...(as you call it)...!!...I have been published in both magazines that you can buy at a 7-11 and online magazines.....!!..What I did get...was lots of people looking at my pictures, whether from FB or actually in print..!!...I don't care what you do with your pictures...why should you care what I do with mine..??..You sound kind of bitter...maybe you should work on getting published...anywhere...and then we can discuss this further..!!

BTHPhoto wrote:
I think when people start using the terms "real" and "fake" to distinguish between their choices/accomplishments/self-perceptions and those of other people, they're generally more concerned with reminding the world of their own importance than with anything else.  If Joe-next-door feels proud of being published in an on-line magazine, exhibited in a coffee shop, self publishing a book, or what ever else he chooses to do with his images, then the only person who has a right to say whether that accomplishment is legitimate or not is Joe, and people who take it upon themselves to denigrate Joe and belittle his accomplishment are really just exposing their own insecurities for the world to see.

+1

Feb 01 15 07:47 pm Link

Digital Artist

AbbeyMarie

San Antonio, Texas, US

I always doubted the supposed exposure those online mags promised as compensation. And would in no way consider you published by simply being in an online mag.

Feb 01 15 08:30 pm Link

Photographer

Nakrani Studios

Apex, North Carolina, US

I don't know about everyone else, but I am learning allot from this because there are a lot of opinions for either side.

What I will say so far is that:

● Some People have had good experiences
● Some People have had bad experiences
● Apparently there are some legitimate on-line magazines
● However, from the comments, it seems that the greater percentage of them are "shady" (I won't use creepy again)
● Some of you are offended that I used the terms "Fake and "Real" in terms of being published (How else would you classify it because they are not one in the same?).
● If I am being legitimatly published, then I have no issue providing un-watermarked, high resolution images.
● The comment about helping a model get into a smaller magazine, I have no issues with smaller magazines, but be legitimate, Meaning, show me your web site, email me from [email protected] (not some gmail address you invented an hour ago). And then expect full resolution, un-watermarked images. And a release to use the images without compensation when you are profiting from them.
● Don't be an A** when emailing the photographer what your demands are, and actually we are helping you with your magazine, if you demand anything, who do you think you are?
● Honestly, how much exposure are you getting the photographer and model, lets be realistic, not how many Facebook likes you have on your page...

I am curious to know which ones are good to work with because its fair to say I have been talking to the wrong ones. About being bitter? I am not bitter, I don't care what you do with your images, it seems like most (Not all of them) are scams.

Feb 01 15 09:17 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

i actually like looking at pictures in general.  I like looking at fake magazines and real ones.  I use my tab most of the time so I see tons of online pictures.  I don't buy real magazines too often.

Feb 01 15 09:20 pm Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

Nakrani Studios wrote:
I am curious to know which ones are good to work with

The ones with editors who know the difference between allot and a lot.

Feb 01 15 09:21 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

OK, on the word "fake" how about we agree on another word "ersatz" [e.g. ersatz magazines]

ERSATZ
adj.
1. Being a usually inferior imitation or substitute; artificial: e..g. ersatz coffee made of chicory.
2. Not genuine; fake

That about sums it up for a lot of on-line "magazines". No history in, or attachment to, the the actual world of publishing; no obvious readership or demographic; no obvious place of business or ownership; and on and on. They are like phantoms pushing a product [their "publication"] that doesn't exist in the real world. On top of that they seem in large part, but by no means all of them, to be either directly infringing [actual copying] or at least plagiarising [copying and re-writing] the work of others for some of their content ... and, occasionally for all of it.

Studio36

Feb 01 15 11:58 pm Link

Photographer

Photography by Riddell

Hemel Hempstead, England, United Kingdom

A lot depends on weather you are talking to an amateur or a genuine professional.

Genuine professionals will not consider being on a website published, nor will they consider being unpaid or recieving really low fees. There is just no respect to be gained, and can even have the opposite effect.

Amateurs don't care, they are generally just desperate.

Feb 02 15 02:02 am Link

Photographer

Julietsdream

Burbank, California, US

Nakrani Studios wrote:
I am curious to know which ones are good to work with because its fair to say I have been talking to the wrong ones. About being bitter? I am not bitter, I don't care what you do with your images, it seems like most (Not all of them) are scams.

OP....here are just a few wonderful magazines to work with...(which are not that easy to get into)...one is called *Miroir*...another is *Gothic Beauty* magazine...the images/artwork is usually *Fantastic and Beautiful*.....as well as the submissions they accept are stunning...!!....I will take back the word bitter and use the word...tart..(LOL)...just a little...as to what I felt from your original posting..!!..I am not here to battle with anyone...only to let you know there are several...highly worthy, quality magazines that can be found online...if you do your research.~  These are magazines with quite a following both online and off, that if you can get 'published' by them, can bring you a wider audience then you might have had originally...!!...By the way...I am a professional, in that I have been paid to have my work in several print magazines...(that you would consider..'real'..)....gigs I got...from being in so called online magazines, where I did it purely for the creative energy and fun that I got from it..!!....Live and let live...I think the bottom line, is that we are all just wanting people to see our images and think we rock...LOL....be you a model, MUA, photog, stylist, etc....Now, with social media at the front...you don't even need to be in print...to have/get paid gigs from authentic companies who like your work and/or to get a wider audience of people who see your images...!!

Feb 02 15 05:25 am Link

Photographer

Nakrani Studios

Apex, North Carolina, US

To be honest, I never really cared about being published, it means little to me. It is more important to the models I have been working with of late. If I submit to an online magazine, I want it to be something that the model will actually get something out of.

Not a "here today, gone tomorrow" type of magazine. I am sure many of you would understand that, and the model would appreciate that more than Please submit me to "xyz" magazine (Facebook page/no website/no actual contact/where are you based out of?)...

I am here to understand more about it and have learned allot as I said before.

Feb 02 15 06:00 am Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Red Sky Photography wrote:

studio36uk wrote:

Studio36

Photography is my hobby. It's not my place to help you or anyone else succeed in your business.

But see, this is actually the crux of the entire problem. not all that long ago ago, when you said you were "published", that meant your photos were submitted to a magazine or newspaper editor. That editor then reviewed your photos along with a team of other editors and staff members and were chosen after a strict review process against many of the hundreds or even thousands of other related photos sent in by an army of other photographers also wanting to get into that publication. These editors understood the rules of publishing, understood how photo-journalism works, and actually (well, usually) followed  a set of rules of publishing. The job of paying for quality photos was always necessary because the having of great photographs included in your magazine meant that more magazines sold because of the increase value such photos brought to the publication. If you were the lucky one who's photos were used, it was considered a very big deal, and in addition to  your bragging rights and photo credit, you were also paid for your work. Sometimes it wasn't much, but you were paid. I've had the privilege of being published in magazines this way as have many other professional photographers here on MM so I can speak from experience that this was usually no small feat.

Now, with websites like Magclud, you have people in their basements with nothing more than Adobe Illustrator 3 and some crappy Vista Print business cards who claim to be "Magazine Publishers". Now, the editorial review process of being published is you basically send in whatever crap the "publisher" is looking for and they run with it just to fill the pages, regardless as to whether or not it's any good. So the value isn't in the quality, it's in the quantity. The reason for this is because the "publishers" of these magcloud "magazines" are jumping for joy if they can sell 10 copies a month to people who aren't actually in the magazine themselves or are friends or family of those people. I've been in several of those things so I know, but you'll never see me credit myself as being "published" in them because I don't consider that being published. The things I DO consider myself as being published are the photos I take for a publication that has a staff, a review board, a Photo Editor, an Art Director, and actually goes to press where I can see my work on a newsstand.

Yeah yeah yeah, I know the industry is changing, blah blah blah, but diluting the value of what "published" means insults those of us who work so hard to actually BE PUBLISHED.

I'm a professional Automotive technician. Do you think I worry about anyone doing a tune up in their driveway, for themselves or their friends for FREE. I could say they are taking work away from me, but people come to me for my knowledge and experience. If you think my hobby is taking work away from you, then you better step up your game

That's not the same thing, and that's not even what the topic of conversation here is about. A better analogy is how would you feel, as a "professional automotive technician" when someone changes the oil on their driveway and suddenly, they too claim to be a "professional automotive technician". It probably wouldn't make you feel too good, would it? But hey, they can change the oil in their Range Rover, and after all, that's all they see you do when you're working at Jiffy Lube, so it's the same thing, right?

Wrong.

That's what we're talking about here. Don't get me wrong, I think it's fun when my work gets into some sort of Magcloud thing, but I don't consider that being "published" at all because the way I see it, it's not being actually "published". In fact, I refuse to let my work even show up in them unless the guy making the thing gives me and the model a free copy. The problem is, with many of those "publications", by giving away two copies on his dime, that just ate away 15% of his monthly profits because 95% of the readers of his rag are the people who are actually in the damn thing, or the parents of the models inside...they usually buy a copy or two also at $30 a piece. I had a model submit a shoot we did to one of those once (without my permission) because she too was lured in by the possibility of being "published". The "Publisher/Editor/Art Director/Graphic Designer/Owner" never bothered to ask her about releases so they ran the photos without ever asking me. A month later I had them cough up a check to me to pay for damages because he was too stupid to realize he needed to do such a thing, and that's the point here. We aren't dealing with actual publications here, we are dealing with people using some technology to print something and call it a "magazine", and that's fine. If you want to play "Editor" have fun, but let's not dilute the value of what it takes to actually BE PUBLISHED.

Feb 02 15 06:54 am Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

Shot By Adam wrote:
[. If you want to play "Editor" have fun, but let's not dilute the value of what it takes to actually BE PUBLISHED.

I'm not diluting any value of being published. I submit images and most are chosen to be in the magazine. It's in print and digitally available, and some people buy those magazines. I'm happy because it brings me more opportunities for shooting and it makes the people I work with happy. Maybe some of these magazines will eventually attract advertisers and be sold at bookstores. Maybe that's how magazines get started now. I don't know and neither do you.

I was a professional, paid photographer in my teens when I was in College and now it's my hobby. I couldn't care less if someone wants to call himself a professional Auto Tech,although I wouldn't call the people who work at Jiffy Lube that. If they do,  it has absolutely no effect on me.

Just like me saying I was published in a Mag Cloud Magazine should have no effect on you. It's published by my definition, you are free to call it whatever you like.

Feb 02 15 08:41 am Link

Makeup Artist

ArtistryImage

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Nakrani Studios wrote:
...Along comes "social media"...

Yep, it's a HUGE game changer...

Come gather 'round people. Wherever you roam. And admit that the waters. Around you have grown. And accept it that soon. You'll be drenched to the bone

funny how Robert Zimmerman nailed this decades ago...

Those who cling to the past as if it had religious significance... get over it, k?

The eight hundred pound gorilla in the room is that retail clientele ARE impressed with publication... matters little whether it's a credential of merit or not....i.e. in the eyes of other photographers... this is soooo about PERCEIVED WORTH... not about noteworthy accolades... Like how valid are the claims of marketing campaigns... get real folks and worry more about soliciting clients if you are in the commercial side of the equation...   albeit if you're a hobbyist this thread is so totally for you... lol

Yes, totally agree that no managing agent of an advertising firm is going to be swayed by faux credentials albeit retail clientele indeed are... so what's the issue?  again, simply get over it...

Ok, publication with named credit seriously does matter for a makeup artist... it gets an artist "Pro" status with the major cosmetic houses... without a 40% discount pro artist might have a challenge competing with the drug store cowgirls on price point... So yes name credit in a published image is a HUGE matter of serious importance for those artist who actually pay the bills with their artistry...   

Let me share a reality I've had to deal with for years... when I got licensed I was brutally attacked on social media forums by the multitude of "self taught" MUA's... the rant was always the same... "A license is meaningless"   funny how the heat came from those without license credentials... But the truth of the matter is those without a license can not work in a salon in nearly all jurisdictions and in many states can not apply product for hire... but discretion being the better part of valor I choose to keep my head down and move forward with my career... would seriously suggest all those photographers with a sour grapes attitude here consider doing likewise...

Words of wisdom from Sun Tzu

All warfare is based on deception

Jason instead of preaching to the choir in a photographer's forum (where you will likely be well received) have you considered mounting a counter offensive against your REAL adversaries in the marketplace?  just a thought...

...you better start swimming or you’ll sink like a stone

All the best on your journey...

Feb 02 15 08:50 am Link

Photographer

Julietsdream

Burbank, California, US

*I agree....why should you care if anyone wants to be published in a Magcloud magazine, if it's beneath you...yet you would only do so..if you got a free copy for you and the model.....??..That doesn't make sense to me...if that is equivalent of payment for you...then why care about the whole editor, photo editor etc...of that of a real magazine.....I have been published in real magazines(that you can get from any newsstand or store....and the throw aways, that are free to the general public but have thousands of customers in the form of readers and clientele) and I have been published in Magcloud magazines....not the ones from their mother's basement...but authentic, *Beautiful* magazines(with staff photographers, photo editors, etc), that I have been proud to be in...why is that somehow affecting your career....??!!
....."Step up your game"...is the only thing I heard that makes sense if you are worried about all those Magcloud publications taking away the authentic-ness of you being in a real magazine where Soo many people had to approve of your Great photos, blah, blah, blah....we get it....Or....those of us who hustle hard...and who are willing to be published in a Magcloud magazine, or in a news stand, or free throw away weekly/monthly magazine, will come right up and take that potential gig you are so worried about...(not you, per se...meant as a collective 'you'...LOL)..!!...This is only a discussion for me, not a battle...I like what you do...and what you(over there)..do, too...so let me do me and you can do you..!!
....I only worry about myself and my team, whose time and effort we are using to get into those magazines...Magcloud or not...I am stepping up my game constantly, because those of you that poo-poo anything else anyone does...will be sitting by the wayside...telling those who will listen, that you are a real published photographer for a real magazine(good for you by the way), while those of us who can handle using Magcloud and other forms of print, etc. will get more and more editorials under our belt, as well as paid ads and a bunch of new followers and fans from social media from those same Magcloud mags and others...Which in turn...gives us a better opportunity to show our work to the real clients who are willing to pay for what we have to offer..!!...There is Soo much room in this world for everyone to be whatever they want to be...it really shouldn't bother you or anyone else, who thinks they can do better..!!..Go do it...and I will do it too..!!
...Best of Luck..!!

Feb 02 15 09:20 am Link

Photographer

Mikey McMichaels

New York, New York, US

For me the distinction is commissioned/solicited, not fake/real or print/web.

When someone seeks you out to shoot something for them, that's a whole different story from having a bunch of photos handed to them and then they decide if they want them.

I'm sure every major photographer has done a job that was for web use only.

Feb 02 15 03:45 pm Link