Forums > Photography Talk > Sigma Announces New Prime

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Los Angeles, California, US

Feb 09 15 09:47 pm Link

Photographer

alessandro2009

Florence, Toscana, Italy

Sigma have made good things with their Art series lens, I wonder when they make stabilized editions possibly decreasing a bit the maximum brightness for do not exceed certain costs while keeping the quality unchanged.

Feb 11 15 03:43 am Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

I'm glad to see more Art lenses too. Sigma has a habit of making really inconsistent lenses, where even after accounting for QC variations, different lenses will have drastically different colours and contrast.

Everybody says that the Art lenses are better than that. But with just a couple models in the line, nobody knows for sure. As the line gets bigger, I hope they solve that lens to lens consistency issue. It would be great to have a third-party source of AF primes that don't immediately scream 'I used a different lens here.'

Feb 11 15 05:37 am Link

Photographer

PhotoByWayne

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Its good to have choices.  I've had good luck with sigma's 35 1.4, but bad luck with focusing accuracy on the old sigma 50 1.4 and 85 1.4.

Feb 11 15 07:36 pm Link

Photographer

Dan D Lyons Imagery

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Isn't their "Art" series of lenses made for crop-sensor cameras? (jw)

Feb 14 15 09:17 am Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Los Angeles, California, US

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7RLdzynjtw
Sigma 24mm Art - Hands on & image tests
Matt Granger

Feb 14 15 11:20 am Link

Photographer

Dan D Lyons Imagery

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

NothingIsRealButTheGirl wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7RLdzynjtw
Sigma 24mm Art - Hands on & image tests
Matt Granger

I like his reviews. The lens sounds pretty killer! Sometimes I wish I was still shooting with a cropper hmm  I really liked how forgiving they were, and of course I *loved the moolah I was saving!!

Feb 14 15 12:46 pm Link

Photographer

Frozen Instant Imagery

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

DBIphotography Toronto wrote:
Isn't their "Art" series of lenses made for crop-sensor cameras? (jw)

Not exactly.

There are some Art lenses which are crop-sensor, and others which are full-frame.

Feb 14 15 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

Dan D Lyons Imagery

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Frozen Instant Imagery wrote:

Not exactly.

There are some Art lenses which are crop-sensor, and others which are full-frame.

OH! I was incorrect in my previous belief, then! I honestly believed that the "Art" series was basically a "DX" type of lens (as it applies to Nikon cameras), or otherwise made for crop-sensor DSLR cameras. Although all my lenses at the moment are Nikkor's, I'm far from being 'against' off-brand lenses. (Nikon was making lenses for years before they started making cameras) The best lens I had when I was shooting cropped DSLR was a Tamron wink  (28-75mm f/2.8 AF-S) Thanks for enlightening me. I really need to slow down & read the fine print more often......

Feb 15 15 11:12 am Link

Photographer

j3_photo

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I just got the lens today to use on my 6D big_smile  I'll post pics asap- but so far from my test shots today I'm already in like.

Apr 30 15 03:27 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I have a Sigma 17-50 f2.8 which I like.

Apr 30 15 03:50 am Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

The 35 f1.4 Art is one of my favorite lenses for my D800. I strongly prefer it to the Nikon version.

I used to heard rumors of a 24-70 f2.0 OS art lens, but nothing more has materialized.

May 02 15 06:22 am Link

Photographer

photoguy35

Goodyear, Arizona, US

Frozen Instant Imagery wrote:

Not exactly.

I think the only crop prime is the 30mm f1.4, all the other primes are full frame.  Not familiar with the Art zooms.

May 04 15 08:23 pm Link

Photographer

TLEE

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

I want to see a new 70-200 f2.8

May 06 15 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

Instinct Images

San Diego, California, US

j3_photo wrote:
I just got the lens today to use on my 6D big_smile  I'll post pics asap- but so far from my test shots today I'm already in like.

I was thinking about buying one for landscape and night sky photography on my Canon 5D Mark II but then I read some reviews that showed it has pretty bad coma. The review claimed the Rokinon 24mm was a better lens for night sky for that reason.

Sounds like a great lens for just about everything else though since coma only becomes apparently in very specific circumstances.

May 06 15 03:19 pm Link

Photographer

Viator Defessus Photos

Houston, Texas, US

I got the 35mm f/1.4 ART at the start of the year and got the 50mm f/1.4 ART a couple of weeks ago. I'm really liking both of them on my D600/D610 and at this rate I'll probably get the whole 5 lens set when it's out (24, 35, 50, 85, 135). They're built like tanks, heavy and solid. They look awesome. The shots look great. I like the bokeh.

My one complaint if you want to call it that is they seem to have slightly more trouble focusing in low contrast or low light situations than some of the Nikkors I have (the 50mm and 85mm f/1.4Gs).

May 06 15 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

Pocket Watch

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

I just finished a week shooting the new Sigma 24mm Art (Nikon) on assignment in Hawaii, and have a couple of thoughts.

1. Construction is rock solid. Just like the 50mm and 35mm before it. Felt strong and natural in the hand.
2. Autofocus is challenging. It doesn't grab the way I want it to. I spent most of the time in manual. Which was tack sharp.
3. I fell in love with the 50mm for studio work. It gives a rich pop to whatever I point it at. The 24mm lacks that. (and not just the 24mm prime, the 24-120mm also has that problem at the short end).

I don't own ultrawides, but rent them several times a year based on need. I hoped this lens could change that. I'm not sold. For the rental dollars, I'd rather use the Zeiss 15/21mm depending on context.

May 07 15 07:43 pm Link

Photographer

Viator Defessus Photos

Houston, Texas, US

Pocket Watch wrote:
2. Autofocus is challenging. It doesn't grab the way I want it to. I spent most of the time in manual. Which was tack sharp.

Did you have the same experience with the 35 and the 50 or is it about consistent across all 3 to you?

May 07 15 08:14 pm Link

Photographer

Pocket Watch

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

The 50mm was spot on.  The 35mm was also good, but not 'wow!', if you know what I mean.

May 08 15 09:29 pm Link