Forums > Photography Talk > Canon L prestige....

Photographer

DwLPhoto

Palo Alto, California, US

The 400 mm 5.6(??) L doesn't do much for the "prestige" mythos.  I'm sure it's a very good 400mm 5.6.  But my old tokina (MF) 400mm 5.6 ain't no slouch.  And I'm betting the Canon 400 5.6  isn't $1,250 better than the AF version of the 400mm tokina. (saw one for $90 at the local overpriced store)

However the 400mm 2.8L  might be $10,300 better than that Tokina

Feb 18 15 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

David Moore Photo

Carlsbad, California, US

I love my 400 5.6 =P haha. It certainly doesn't have the monster lens cache.

I dunno about the L lens prestige, my first EOS lens was the 70-200 f4 L. They are good lenses, but man my Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art is SO good. And my 100mm 2.8 Macro Canon that isn't L is so good. haha.

Feb 18 15 02:00 pm Link

Photographer

DwLPhoto

Palo Alto, California, US

I think that 200mm f/4 canon is  pretty good way to save some bucks especially if your shooting a newer DSLR

Feb 18 15 03:19 pm Link

Photographer

Frozen Instant Imagery

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Lohkee wrote:

Chuckles. I own the 50 1.2 (that seems to weigh in at about 3 tons), and the cheap-ass nifty 50 that's so light I sometimes check to make sure I remembered to actually stick a lens on my camera.

My nifty-50 is, by far, the sharpest lens I own and, given enough light, always my first choice. Hell, if I drop it in a river (I have), it's no big deal at $75 bucks to get a replacement. About the only time I use my 1.2 is in a low-light setting (such as a church that does not allow flash during ceremonies, etc).

I dunno. It just depends on the task at hand. All of my glass is "L" but that little plastic nifty-50 is my go-to lens whenever possible.

Prestige comes from results, not gear, IMHO.

The 50/1.2L doesn't weigh 3 tons until you put in on a 1D body smile  You want 3 tons, I think you need the 85/1.2L. The 85/1.2L balances beautifully on a 1D, and focuses faster on one (because of the higher voltage battery).

There are a lot of very good L series lenses. There aren't many very good Canon lenses that aren't L.

I do agree with the suggestion that the Sigma Art 35mm and 50mm are well worth considering, however.

Feb 20 15 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

the lonely photographer

Beverly Hills, California, US

Lohkee wrote:

Chuckles. I own the 50 1.2 (that seems to weigh in at about 3 tons), and the cheap-ass nifty 50 that's so light I sometimes check to make sure I remembered to actually stick a lens on my camera.

My nifty-50 is, by far, the sharpest lens I own and, given enough light, always my first choice. Hell, if I drop it in a river (I have), it's no big deal at $75 bucks to get a replacement. About the only time I use my 1.2 is in a low-light setting (such as a church that does not allow flash during ceremonies, etc).

I dunno. It just depends on the task at hand. All of my glass is "L" but that little plastic nifty-50 is my go-to lens whenever possible.

Prestige comes from results, not gear, IMHO.

I'd have agree on the nifty fifty, them "L" lenses are heavy as "L", in fact I've gone back to using my "professional grade" canon  Rebel t2i.   I avoid using  my other cameras due to the weight.. I" m really impressed with the 1.8 85mm though.  I just received my 28-300mm 3.5-5.6 iS L... Damn. That is one heavy lens....

Feb 21 15 07:58 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Collins

Orlando, Florida, US

Nakrani Studios wrote:
I love my L series canon lenses, the thing is, they are actually made by a company that understands optics and not copiers, printers,

???

Not sure what you mean by this.  They DO make great printers and copiers.

Feb 25 15 07:56 am Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

Mike Collins wrote:

???

Not sure what you mean by this.  They DO make great printers and copiers.

They make printers and scanners. Canon Global makes copiers, but that's under a different division with different employees, just like Nikon's opthalmic lenses. Which has a lot to do with why so many people will tell you Zeiss camera lenses are way better than Nikon, but it's a lot closer when you're shopping for a new pair of glasses.

Note that I'm not trying to make a 'who is better' comparison - just explaining that lenses can be used for a lot of different things, and success in one application doesn't mean success in every application.

Feb 25 15 10:20 am Link