Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > How often do you shoot?

Photographer

CNP Photography

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I was just thinking about this and realized that I haven't photographed a model since August last year. I have the excuse of medical reasons, but still, that's a long time. Been shooting lots of other stuff, mostly cityscapes, but nothing with an actual professional (or wannabe professional) model.

So how often do you shoot. I mean with models, not quick snaps of your cat. tongue

Feb 17 15 01:17 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Not very often after the loss of my studio space.
Have been trying to switch to location shoots, but lack of subjects has held that back as well.

Feb 17 15 04:01 am Link

Photographer

Naughty Ties

Riverview, Florida, US

I'm able to keep fresh content for my various websites doing just two or maaaaaybe three shoots per month and while I could certainly shoot more I don't see the need to especially since I'm the one paying the models and it's all about the business. 2-3 paid three hour shoots keeps the checks rolling in just fine.  smile

Feb 17 15 06:23 am Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

Not very often. I don't and have never had a studio so all of my shoots are always on location. My problem has been transportation. In December or so of 2012, the engine in my car blew up. It took until February or so of 2013 to get another vehicle. It was too cold to shoot outside (I don't like being cold and don't want to shoot if I can't see some skin ... arms and/or legs are good enough). I shot a few times in 2013. By December 2013, that vehicle was burning far too much gas to travel anywhere to get me there and back without spending an arm and a leg for fuel.

In May, 2014 that vehicle was due for state inspection. It failed. I decided it was going to cost more than it was worth to fix so I started trying to sell it at the end of June. I had it in my front yard with a for sale sign on it. Many people stopped to look at it but no one bought it. I listed it on eBay 6 times and sold it 5 but no one ever came to get it. I listed it on craigslist several times, too, but no one wanted to part with more than $300 or so. I'm still without a vehicle (technically since June of last year. I drove it once with a bad inspection sticker but only the one time because I can't afford a ticket, either).

My last shoot was a good one. I was looking forward to shooting that model again but without a vehicle, it hasn't happened.

Feb 17 15 06:50 am Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

I'd say twice a month for 2-3 hours.
However at the end of the year it's always 2-2.5 times that. Some of those come in bunches with the same model.

Feb 17 15 08:21 am Link

Photographer

Photographic Adventures

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I'm averaging 3+ shoots per month right now over the last quarter.  For all of 2014 I averaged 1.5 per month.  My no show rate is up as well.  I guess you have to take the good wit the bad.

Feb 17 15 08:30 am Link

Photographer

DespayreFX

Delta, British Columbia, Canada

Since November, I've been shooting at least 3 hours, twice a week with models. I was lucky enough to pick up a share in a studio, so I have 24/7 access with a guaranteed minimum of 40hrs I can book, whether I use it or not, so I use it. smile

Some shoots go straight in the trash, but most end up with some usable shots. At this point, for me, I need all the practice I can get, especially with all the different lighting I have access to in the studio. Having said that, I prefer location shoots these days, but the weather isn't very fun right now, so the studio works.

Feb 17 15 08:31 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Probably 10-15 times per month.

Feb 17 15 08:34 am Link

Photographer

DCurtis

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

I'm trying for once a month, which feels like ages apart. If I lived in a better market, I suspect it would be more often. I would like it to be more often.

Feb 17 15 09:27 am Link

Photographer

James S

Spokane Valley, Washington, US

In the past year, I've had kind of a dry spell. I've shot with my wife a few times and other models only twice. I'm getting busy now, though. I did two shoots last week, and I have shoots scheduled for Saturday and Sunday, and possibly Friday and Monday as well.

Feb 17 15 03:20 pm Link

Photographer

-fpc-

Boca Raton, Florida, US

not since November

fvkin winter...

Feb 17 15 04:23 pm Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Just finished a 4 day shoot with 4 models.  10K+ images.  I'm ready for 2 weeks off until we do it again

Once April gets here, I'll be shooting once a week or so, until June, then she kicks into high gear.

Feb 17 15 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

Once a month or so - I think my busy month last year had 3.

My "Falling Thru" rate is pretty impressive right now.

Which I guess is still better than a "no call - no show" rate

Feb 17 15 04:30 pm Link