This thread was locked on 2015-02-24 18:33:23
Forums > Photography Talk > What colors to use in tub to not stain hair?

Model

Nadia Ruslanova

Tampa, Florida, US

I want to do a milk bath shoot and I suggested to add food coloring to the milk for a trippy look. THANKFULLY the photographer noted that it may discolor my skin.

Forget my skin, I can't have rainbow hair!!!

Has anyone done this before? That colors are safe for me to soak in for an hr or two and still come out with the same blonde I have now?

Thanks!

Feb 24 15 12:52 pm Link

Clothing Designer

Justin Gage Photostudio

Cannes, Provence-Alpes-Côte-d'Azur, France

You might want to try water color instead did that for a plaint splash shoot and as long as the lighting is adjusted accordingly it worked it just wont have the same texture. I know that when i use food coloring or Dye on shoots If I get a drop of the stuff any ware it's in there for days so Good call on that. Unless someone can refer you to a specific product (but I am not In the US) But as far as I know anything you want to wash out with products you want anywhere near your hair will have to be water based
Let me know if anyone was helpful cuz I am interested in knowing what works

J
www.justingagephotostudio.com

Feb 24 15 01:16 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

I would clarify with the photographer whether the milk bath will be real milk or something that just looks like milk.

The chemistry of milk is extremely complex, but its main feature is that it is a suspension of fat globules in water.  Water and fat have different solvent characteristics so, if the colouring is absorbed by the fat, it may be the sort of material that will also be absorbed by you hair and skin.  Pigments that are merely water soluble are less likely to be a threat.

If the bath is merely pretend milk, the white colour will probably come from fine colloidal material suspended in the water which will not absorb colouring like the fat globules, and, in any case, the colouring is likely to be only water soluble.

Feb 24 15 03:27 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Moderator Note!
There is another thread on this topic in the Hair and Make-up forum.   Please feel free to post there:  http://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/941379

Feb 24 15 06:32 pm Link