Forums > Photography Talk > Best External Flash?

Photographer

Dexter Uy

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

Hey Guys I need help...

planning to buy a external flash for my 6D.. Any recommendations? for flash that is not too expensive?

Nissin or Canon Brand only.

Going to use for Events, Fashion.

Thanks
Dex

Mar 03 15 02:39 am Link

Photographer

J E W E T T

al-Marsā, Tunis, Tunisia

Dexter Uy wrote:

And...

Dexter Uy wrote:
for flash that is not too expensive?

Do not go together. smile

I've burned out my 580EXII, but my YONGNUO YN568 EX II TTL's have really performed well.  They are $75.00 here:

http://www.amazon.com/YONGNUO-YN568-Fla … amp;sr=1-3

Canon 580EX II's are still $500+.

Mar 03 15 03:10 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Robert is absolutely right. You might want to widen your criteria to consider Yongnuo or Neewer / Godox.

Mar 03 15 10:27 am Link

Photographer

Y E N

Memphis, Tennessee, US

I shoot Nikon, and I just bought a Godox 360 bare bulb.  Love it so much, about to buy 2 more

Mar 03 15 11:45 am Link

Photographer

Dexter Uy

Does all speedlite powered only by AA batteries?

Mar 03 15 05:14 pm Link

Photographer

Elegance And Chaos

Dexter Uy wrote:
Does all speedlite powered only by AA batteries?

Some of the newer Neewer/Godox flashes using proprietary Li ion batteries.
These batteries are long life (300 full power flashes on a full charge ) and quick and consistent re-cycle time (they go dead when they run out of juice as opposed to taking longer to re-cycle).

http://www.amazon.ca/s/?ie=UTF8&key … 3xzbo1w7_e

They really need to make an AA adapter for these systems though. At some point a battery pack
will fail and you can't get replacements for the Li ion batteries on short notice. It is nice to just
grab some AA's at a grocery store and keep shooting if you are in an unexpected situation.
Till then always buy extra batteries and make sure they are charged the night before the shoot.

Some of the Li ion batteries that came with the Neewer TT850 were faulty but they were replaced under a recall
and I have not had any problems since.

Mar 03 15 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

Keith Moody

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Be advised that many of the cheaper flashes may not have the features you need.

For example, they may be just manual flashes and the only conversation they have with your camera is just FLASH!  They probably won’t have TTL or high speed sync.  If you can live with out those two features, a $75 flash may work fine for you.

I’ve owned a few Yongnuos.  Awesome flashes but the versions I owned were straight manual flashes.  I’ve owned a few Neewer flashes.  Again, awesome flashes but they were straight manual flashes.  They didn't speak to my camera at all – except to fire.

Since I can't live without high speed sync capabilities, I saved the money and bought flashes that actually go with my camera.

Determine what you need your flash to do then buy accordingly.

Mar 03 15 10:46 pm Link

Photographer

Dexter Uy

any specific model for yongnuo?  with TTL and also neewer?

Mar 04 15 01:04 am Link

Photographer

alessandro2009

Florence, Toscana, Italy

Check the yongnuo site for understand which model give you automatism even when used on the camera respect at model that give you automatism only when used outside the camera.

Mar 04 15 02:13 am Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

Also not cheap, but I really like the Mitros+. It is cheaper than the Canon with RF built in though.

For events, I consider RF with automatic control the most useful feature there is. I have a flash on the camera, and keep a second one on in my bag. If I need more light, I just hand it to a guest, and tell him where to point it. Done.

The auto settings are almost never ideal, but 90% of the time I get a good quality image that is plenty suitable for event-quality photography in just a few seconds, so I don't miss anything. If it's something more important and slower than 'cover this event' ... well, that's what stands and manual modes are for.

Mar 04 15 05:52 am Link

Photographer

Aaron Spesard

Weatherford, Texas, US

Y E N  wrote:
I shoot Nikon, and I just bought a Godox 360 bare bulb.  Love it so much, about to buy 2 more

Do you have any samples with it? What do you like about it most?

Mar 04 15 07:02 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Dexter Uy wrote:

Yongnuo TTL flash YN565EX or the more expensive YN568EX II that has  high speed synch support. Also a YN-600EX-RT for Canon wireless flash support using the Canon RT system.

Neewer uses the lithium battery packs instead of AA batteries. The Neewer TT860 is the TTL version of the flash. This same flash is also branded and sold as a Godox V860C Ving. 

For all of the above you must be sure that you specifically get the Canon TTL versions as they also make Nikon versions.

Hope that helps!

Mar 04 15 10:14 am Link

Photographer

jonbuder

Midwest City, Oklahoma, US

I've got a Neewer TT560 - cheap and a great value in my book, about 35 bucks. Manual only and not super powerful but it's reliable and easy to use. Has an optical slave which works well.

Mar 04 15 07:08 pm Link

Photographer

Y E N

Memphis, Tennessee, US

Aaron Spesard wrote:
Do you have any samples with it? What do you like about it most?

It has 300 watts of power, its bare bulb, external battery, recycles so quick.  Its like having a studio strobe that is portable and if you need to it sits on your camera with hot shoe. 

The two samples - the one with the model has a 40 cm soft box and the tennis group pic has the standard reflect with diffuser on it

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/65a37b1ve09z … 1j-Ra?dl=0

Also I forgot my avatar I also used a Godox 360 with the 40 cm softbox

Mar 04 15 07:45 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Rifkin

Tampa, Florida, US

Y E N  wrote:

I am waiting for the version that will have TTL to come out(supposedly may/june)...then I will get 2 and sell my 2 150 watt quantum q5 Tdrs(hell,when the Adorama/Flashpoint rebrands come out I could probably almost trade those 2 straight up for these)

The bare bulb lights are indeed like having a studio strobe in a flash gun...

And the godox's have HSS

Mar 05 15 01:28 am Link

Photographer

cheshiredave

Oakland, California, US

Yongnuo flashes may work when they work, but they break super-easily. After going through two of them quickly (one arrived DOA, the other stopped working after taking one gentle drop), I found someone who was selling a used 580 EX II to be my second flash (my primary is another 580 EX II which has served me faithfully for many years). Don't fall for the attractiveness of the low price -- you get less than what you pay for with Yongnuos.

Mar 05 15 01:40 am Link

Photographer

Y E N

Memphis, Tennessee, US

Chris Rifkin wrote:

I am waiting for the version that will have TTL to come out(supposedly may/june)...then I will get 2 and sell my 2 150 watt quantum q5 Tdrs(hell,when the Adorama/Flashpoint rebrands come out I could probably almost trade those 2 straight up for these)

The bare bulb lights are indeed like having a studio strobe in a flash gun...

And the godox's have HSS

I have had such bad variations on exposures with my ttl flashes that I prefer the manual flashes

Mar 05 15 03:37 am Link

Photographer

Chris Rifkin

Tampa, Florida, US

Y E N  wrote:

I have had such bad variations on exposures with my ttl flashes that I prefer the manual flashes

Problem is that TTL has been a godsend to me while shooting sunrise/sunset because of how rapidly the lighting is changing

My quantums have a feature called auto fill where the light itself meters the subject while I control everything else from my camera..and my exposures have a 95% rate of being perfect.....I am so picky and a perfectionist with how I want the model's lit at sunset that TTL is a must

Mar 05 15 09:19 am Link

Photographer

Y E N

Memphis, Tennessee, US

Chris Rifkin wrote:

Problem is that TTL has been a godsend to me while shooting sunrise/sunset because of how rapidly the lighting is changing

My quantums have a feature called auto fill where the light itself meters the subject while I control everything else from my camera..and my exposures have a 95% rate of being perfect.....I am so picky and a perfectionist with how I want the model's lit at sunset that TTL is a must

You are very lucky, I use to have a Quantum with TTL and never really had luck with it, I always felt like It always overexposed.  Anyway I have learned to shoot on manual and its much less aggravating for me

Mar 05 15 03:05 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Spring

London, England, United Kingdom

Robert Jewett wrote:

Dexter Uy wrote:

And...

Do not go together. smile

I've burned out my 580EXII, but my YONGNUO YN568 EX II TTL's have really performed well.  They are $75.00 here:

http://www.amazon.com/YONGNUO-YN568-Fla … amp;sr=1-3

Canon 580EX II's are still $500+.

Same here!!! 580EXII broke, some fault in the flash.... yongnuo works perfectly, never a problem... can definitely recommend the yongnuo flashguns  :-)

Mar 05 15 03:39 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Rifkin

Tampa, Florida, US

Y E N  wrote:

You are very lucky, I use to have a Quantum with TTL and never really had luck with it, I always felt like It always overexposed.  Anyway I have learned to shoot on manual and its much less aggravating for me

The auto fill mode blow away their TTL..I had issues as well,and while very so slightly hot,the model is always exposed consistantly and I learned to drop my apeture a stop to compensate thbe exposure....

THE QTTL was all over the place and random...however the Profoto 1B was perfect the 1 time I played with one ...(of course we aren't talking that kind of high end flash)

Mar 05 15 04:36 pm Link

Photographer

Dexter Uy

So do you guys prefer buying Manual or TTL flash???/

its my 1st speedlite.

Mar 05 15 10:40 pm Link

Photographer

erics_Toronto_GTA

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Godox 360 is too heavy on camera.
Use a bracket if you don't want to break your hot shoe.
180 is ok.
Both are very powerful, but no ttl and no hi-speed sync on hot shoe.

Or try a Canon 430ii.

Mar 05 15 10:59 pm Link

Photographer

J E W E T T

al-Marsā, Tunis, Tunisia

Dexter Uy wrote:

its my 1st speedlite.

Get one that does both.  My YG560 does both.  I generally only use manual, but when I was shooting an event in changing light, the YG ETTL feature OUTPERFORMED the Canon for proper exposure.  I've tested this on only about 10,000 images each, so YMMV.

Mar 06 15 04:00 am Link

Photographer

Y E N

Memphis, Tennessee, US

Eric SUN wrote:
Godox 360 is too heavy on camera. 180 is ok.
Both are very powerful, but no ttl and no hi-speed sync on camera.

Or try a Canon 430ii.

Yeah the 360 is heavy, put it on a bracket and its manageable and it does have have hi-speed sync.  If you want the best quality light from a speed light and the dependability of a tank the 360 or 180 is the answer.  Also if you want to look like a pro this thing will do it too

Mar 06 15 04:30 am Link

Photographer

Y E N

Memphis, Tennessee, US

Dexter Uy wrote:

its my 1st speedlite.

TTL is the easiest but since its your first I would go with a manual.  Its the best way to learn

Mar 06 15 04:32 am Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

If you haven't gotten anything yet, there's a new Nissan 7000 and RF package on DPReview, just about a page down. Seems perfect for you.

Mar 06 15 05:41 am Link

Photographer

Chris Rifkin

Tampa, Florida, US

Y E N  wrote:

Yeah the 360 is heavy, put it on a bracket and its manageable and it does have have hi-speed sync.  If you want the best quality light from a speed light and the dependability of a tank the 360 or 180 is the answer.  Also if you want to look like a pro this thing will do it too

I use my quantum trio for this,and on a bracket

Mar 06 15 06:24 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Y E N  wrote:

Interesting.

I have the same issue of TTL with a Quantum Trio on a Nikon, just mine goes for underexposure with the reflector and diffuser.  Their "Ignore distance beyond for exposure" thing is sort of neat in playing with it, but it does affect foreground exposure to some extent.

I am using it with the Nikon SC-29 extension TTL cable so might be some of it from gleaning some info on their forum.  I turned off the Focus Assist light on it and can see the red pattern off the Quantum in the dark, but don't really know all I should about the thing even after reading the manual which was a download (Yuck!).

Quantum isn't really too clear on camera settings for their TTL other than saying Program mode in the camera is inconsistent.  They demonstrate in their videos how easy to navigate the flash unit, but nothing about the camera settings since some of that is sent to the Quantum (supposedly).  Most of it was shot for the non-TTL Trio too.

Takes some time to learn this stuff - sometimes too much time no matter how easy they claim it's supposed to work.  Where's my iPhone camera?  jk  wink

Mar 06 15 07:07 am Link

Photographer

JandRStudios

Houston, Texas, US

Dexter Uy wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Display-Sp … ewer+flash

Mar 07 15 07:52 pm Link

Photographer

Phantasmal Images

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Godox v860c. I have two of them, they're built well, and have always worked perfectly. They do everything the Canon 580EX II does, plus they have a lithium battery pack, and they're cheaper.

http://flashhavoc.com/godox-v860c-ving- … sh-review/

It's a great speedlight for around $170.

Mar 09 15 01:07 am Link

Photographer

Alien LiFe

San Jose, California, US

Y E N  wrote:

I'm going with this ... for less money then RT600, you'll get a more powerfull flash (this almost like a small strobe) & an external battery pack.
I'm thinking of getting one myself. wink

Mar 09 15 08:49 am Link

Photographer

Y E N

Memphis, Tennessee, US

Alien LiFe wrote:

I'm going with this ... for less money then RT600, you'll get a more powerfull flash (this almost like a small strobe) & an external battery pack.
I'm thinking of getting one myself. wink

get the little mushroom plexiglass thing to, it does wonders for big group shots and interior shots too

Mar 09 15 02:00 pm Link

Photographer

Studio 17B

Waterdown, Ontario, Canada

Have you looked at Metz.  I have their 430 equivalent.  It's been banged up numerous times and keeps on working.  Has TTL for Canon and a 2 year warrenty

Mar 09 15 06:50 pm Link