Forums > General Industry > Holding workshops

Photographer

Zhiffy Photography

Singapore, Singapore, Singapore

Have you guys have much experience with holding photography workshops?
I've done two before, one for youths in a local school which wasn't paid and one that had a small token fee.

A camera brand has asked if I was interested in being an associate instructor with my own workshops and well, yes. The thing is, I'm not sure how much to charge. Do I charge like it's a shoot with my normal half/fullday rate?
How do you guys do it?

Let me know what you think~
Thank you
Shavonne
https://www.facebook.com/zhiffyphotography

Mar 05 15 11:10 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Zhiffy Photography wrote:
Have you guys have much experience with holding photography workshops?
I've done two before, one for youths in a local school which wasn't paid and one that had a small token fee.

A camera brand has asked if I was interested in being an associate instructor with my own workshops and well, yes. The thing is, I'm not sure how much to charge. Do I charge like it's a shoot with my normal half/fullday rate?
How do you guys do it?

Let me know what you think~
Thank you
Shavonne
https://www.facebook.com/zhiffyphotography

Ask them what they expect from an associate instructor.

Lots of companies help sponsor workshops and it often means that they offer discount coupons, door prizes, raffle prizes, etc.

Mar 05 15 12:12 pm Link

Photographer

Zhiffy Photography

Mark Salo wrote:

Ask them what they expect from an associate instructor.

Lots of companies help sponsor workshops and it often means that they offer discount coupons, door prizes, raffle prizes, etc.

Hmm well they'll sponsor the camera equipment. Other then that, they asked me how much would I want to be paid for a workshop. So that's the question.. Haha.
I know it'll probably be like a short few hours kind of thing and the class would be 15-20 students?

Mar 05 15 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

A good number of years ago, I was asked to provide seminars and workshops to groups of photographers.

I also had no idea as to what to charge, so I went to my friend Dean Collins who was, at the time, the most successful workshop lecturer in the business.

His advice was this:

1)  Research the price ranges that other similar workshops are going for and price yourself slightly higher than the middle range.

2)  Promote the workshop through whatever media is available to you (we didn't have internet in those days, so it's easier now)

3) If you have the resources to produce the event yourself, do so. If not then you should ask the producers/promoters for 50% of the gross door receipts.

I followed his advice and did quite well for the next 25 years of lectures, seminars and workshops.

Best of luck . . .

KM

Mar 05 15 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

i enjoy attending workshops here in the Philippines.  Most seem to cost between $50-$125 for a day.  Most have a sponsor like samsung or canon.  Some are better than others.  I find I get three things out of workshops.  The first is more knowledge of the topic at hand.  The second is new gear or ways of using gear.  The third is more contacts.  The knowledge part I assume you know or you wouldn't be there.  The gear part is enjoyable to me.  I like when there is something to see and touch if possible.  This is usually easy to do if you have a sponsor like canon or samsung.  The third is  up to the workshop instructor.  I like when there is a game or a short introduction to each other. 

good luck

Mar 08 15 09:52 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

wait.  I almost forgot, do you have models to shoot?  that is always a way to bring in photographers.  I went to an epson workshop and they were selling printers.  Somehow they got models to shoot and make some prints.

Mar 08 15 09:55 pm Link

Photographer

Zhiffy Photography

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:
A good number of years ago, I was asked to provide seminars and workshops to groups of photographers.

I also had no idea as to what to charge, so I went to my friend Dean Collins who was, at the time, the most successful workshop lecturer in the business.

His advice was this:

1)  Research the price ranges that other similar workshops are going for and price yourself slightly higher than the middle range.

2)  Promote the workshop through whatever media is available to you (we didn't have internet in those days, so it's easier now)

3) If you have the resources to produce the event yourself, do so. If not then you should ask the producers/promoters for 50% of the gross door receipts.

I followed his advice and did quite well for the next 25 years of lectures, seminars and workshops.

Best of luck . . .

KM

Oooh great advice, thank you!!

Mar 09 15 10:16 am Link

Photographer

Zhiffy Photography

martin b wrote:
i enjoy attending workshops here in the Philippines.  Most seem to cost between $50-$125 for a day.  Most have a sponsor like samsung or canon.  Some are better than others.  I find I get three things out of workshops.  The first is more knowledge of the topic at hand.  The second is new gear or ways of using gear.  The third is more contacts.  The knowledge part I assume you know or you wouldn't be there.  The gear part is enjoyable to me.  I like when there is something to see and touch if possible.  This is usually easy to do if you have a sponsor like canon or samsung.  The third is  up to the workshop instructor.  I like when there is a game or a short introduction to each other. 
good luck

Yeah I have a sponsor since the camera brand is asking me to be it's associate instructor. Thanks for your feedback on courses though! The short introduction is quite a good idea. Let's me know who they are and what they do too! (:

martin b wrote:
wait.  I almost forgot, do you have models to shoot?  that is always a way to bring in photographers.  I went to an epson workshop and they were selling printers.  Somehow they got models to shoot and make some prints.

Yeah I do fashion  photography after all haha. (:

Mar 09 15 10:19 am Link

Photographer

K E E L I N G

Peoria, Illinois, US

Sit down and figure out how much you are going to pay the models, your cost to rent the venue, transportation costs for yourself and/or the models, hotels for out of town models, and any other expenses that you will incur... add how much profit you'd need to make it worth it to those total expenses..  Decide how many photographers you can reasonably fit in a session, and how many sessions you will have arriving at a total number of photographers number.  Divide total cost by photographers and that's what you charge.  If it's a weird number round up.

Then make sure you have enough money in the bank to pay your models and expenses if no one shows up.

Mar 09 15 12:03 pm Link

Photographer

Fleming Design

East Hartford, Connecticut, US

Zhiffy Photography wrote:
...I know it'll probably be like a short few hours kind of thing and the class would be 15-20 students?

Probably?  You need to ask more detailed questions.  Get some answers before you quote it. Then you want to have all specific business relationship responsibilities clarified in writing.  You wouldn't do a paid shoot without some form of contract, right?  Act and prepare as tho it could be an ongoing professional relationship.

Mar 09 15 01:20 pm Link

Model

Melissa Kat

Orlando, Florida, US

Don't use any name that sounds as though it may represent an agency or you won't be allowed to post on MM to promote your workshops and that can be a huge hinderance to your attendance.

Apr 01 15 06:39 am Link