Forums > General Industry > Changing name?

Model

Payton Hailey

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I have recently been debating a name change (modeling) to reflect the work I have been doing recently (less alternative),

Does anyone have any tips, or experiences in changing your modeling or photography business name?

Mar 07 15 06:39 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

A few things to consider about using a fictitious name:

1.  Do you want it to sound real or be an obvious stage name?  You might want people just accepting it so they don't even think to wonder what your real name is.  You may want the opposite.

2. Ease of memory and easy of spelling - You probably want name recognition and don't want people thinking about alternative spellings if they are ever trying to look you up.

3.  Check to see if there are any rules in Canada about doing business using a name other than your own legal name.  In the U.S. one often has to register such names as a doing business as. 

5.  If you will be on a list of model names anywhere, consider that lists are often alphabetical.  Names starting with an A will be higher on the list.

Mar 08 15 12:17 pm Link

Model

Payton Hailey

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Abbitt Photography wrote:

1.  Do you want it to sound real or be an obvious stage name?  You might want people just accepting it so they don't even think to wonder what your real name is.  You may want the opposite.

2. Ease of memory and easy of spelling - You probably want name recognition and don't want people thinking about alternative spellings if they are ever trying to look you up.

3.  Check to see if there are any rules in Canada about doing business using a name other than your own legal name.  In the U.S. one often has to register such names as a doing business as. 

5.  If you will be on a list of model names anywhere, consider that lists are often alphabetical.  Names starting with an A will be higher on the list.

Thank you smile

Mar 08 15 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Abbitt Photography wrote:

Good list.

Where's #4?

I think alteration makes things easier.  (Meaning have a first name & a last name start with the same letter).

It's okay to change your name rarely, but if you change your name frequently, you'll lose the benefits of name recognition. 

It might be worthwhile maintaining multiple profiles for a little while:
...  Point to the new one from the old one,
...  Say something like "formerly doing business under the stage name Cayleigh Chaos".
...  Be clear on both profiles which name will be used going forward.

It's pretty cheap to register a domain name -- find a modeling name that you can register.

Mar 08 15 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
Good list.

Where's #4?

Forever gone with that lost hour today I'm afraid….

Mar 08 15 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Warren

Houston, Texas, US

I always think that "real" sounding names are the best.

Mar 08 15 07:18 pm Link