Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Photographer trying to better master retouching.

Photographer

Bold Belle

Pittsburg, Kansas, US

Well, I'm obviously wanting to get better. I'm all for paying a retoucher if I could afford that. Anyways

Where would be a good place to find tutorials, how-tos, and just overall lesson on higher quality of retouching. I'm wanting to be able better retouch an image whether lightly or heavily yet not be so bloody obvious.

Perfect skin with texture, whitening/brightening eyes/teeths, smoothing lips, clean up cosmetic work, reshaping facial features/body, retouching clothes. I know if I wanted indepth lessons to get me to the quality of magazines I would have to pay for a workshop. Though something to help begin to get better would be fantastic.

I'm mainly wanting to specialize in Glamour/Boudoir/Pin-up/Fashion, and possibly dabble in plenty other.

Thank you ahead of time.

Mar 16 15 07:42 pm Link

Digital Artist

Phoenix Fate Design

Colorado Springs, Colorado, US

The first and most important thing you'll want to start learning and practicing is how to Dodge and Burn. You can find some good stuff on Youtube but that can be hit or miss. I would follow some of the more well known in the business like Phlearn, Gry Garness and Amy Dresser. Also, there are a few groups on Facebook that are always helpful. If you want to send me a message I can give you the links to them.

Mar 16 15 08:09 pm Link

Photographer

Pictures of Life

Spokane, Washington, US

Fair question, but mastering retouching requires identifying what kind of retouching, or what kind of photography you want to pursue.  And mastering may take a lifetime, so you may want to decide what is good enough and get there first.  If you look at the Sue Bryce crowd, they produce decent quality, and very profitable images with a specific style.  Is the retouching fantastic, or just consistent?  Some of their best work could be shot with a $400 camera lens combo, 10 minutes of editing with a automated plug in and another 5 min of trendy filters.  But their clients are middle aged women who don't want good skin detail, but love a pseudo fantasy textured image. 
     If you want a really good map of how to get somewhere, choose a specific destination first.  Beauty magazine edits are completely different from pin up.  The 'best' edits use the model's skin, but some of the 'best' images use fake skin.  A successful photographer may use the quickest editing process to maximize output.  A successful artist may spend forever on one image, and change things dramatically during the process.  I like the concept of a craftsman who has a clear idea of the finished product, and efficiently and adaptively uses several skills to get there. That pretty much describes Aaron Nace from Phlearn, but you may decide that you aren't interested in creating work like his. 
    Just reading the MM retouchers forum routinely will help you get info that you won't encounter otherwise. There are fantastic retouchers here like Natalia who gives great advice and she has some videos.   The advice from Burn the Ashes is perfect, but I found that after spending a LOT of time getting good at fine detail editing that I wanted more of a finished look, which is faster, easier and generally covers up the fine details.  I would have saved a lot of time, and made more progress by starting with the stylistic editing, then learning the detail stuff.  Check out Phlearn youtube - What should be done First.
    Good luck

Mar 16 15 09:44 pm Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

Mar 16 15 11:55 pm Link

Photographer

Bold Belle

Pittsburg, Kansas, US

Pictures of Life wrote:
Fair question, but mastering retouching requires identifying what kind of retouching, or what kind of photography you want to pursue.  And mastering may take a lifetime, so you may want to decide what is good enough and get there first.  If you look at the Sue Bryce crowd, they produce decent quality, and very profitable images with a specific style.  Is the retouching fantastic, or just consistent?  Some of their best work could be shot with a $400 camera lens combo, 10 minutes of editing with a automated plug in and another 5 min of trendy filters.  But their clients are middle aged women who don't want good skin detail, but love a pseudo fantasy textured image. 
     If you want a really good map of how to get somewhere, choose a specific destination first.  Beauty magazine edits are completely different from pin up.  The 'best' edits use the model's skin, but some of the 'best' images use fake skin.  A successful photographer may use the quickest editing process to maximize output.  A successful artist may spend forever on one image, and change things dramatically during the process.  I like the concept of a craftsman who has a clear idea of the finished product, and efficiently and adaptively uses several skills to get there. That pretty much describes Aaron Nace from Phlearn, but you may decide that you aren't interested in creating work like his. 
    Just reading the MM retouchers forum routinely will help you get info that you won't encounter otherwise. There are fantastic retouchers here like Natalia who gives great advice and she has some videos.   The advice from Burn the Ashes is perfect, but I found that after spending a LOT of time getting good at fine detail editing that I wanted more of a finished look, which is faster, easier and generally covers up the fine details.  I would have saved a lot of time, and made more progress by starting with the stylistic editing, then learning the detail stuff.  Check out Phlearn youtube - What should be done First.
    Good luck

Thank you

Mar 17 15 12:19 am Link

Photographer

Mask Photo

Fremont, California, US

Koray wrote:
here you go:
https://www.youtube.com/user/KrunoStifter/videos

I found Kruno's videos to be inferior to Natalia's. Also inferior to Gry Garness.

For a new retoucher, I'd suggest this book:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1138812471/

It was invaluable to me in that it made me aware of many techniques that I could examine at my own pace. Once I started watching tutorials, I was able to follow them much more easily.

Mar 17 15 12:36 pm Link

Photographer

RINALDI

Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands

Mask Photo wrote:

I found Kruno's videos to be inferior to Natalia's. Also inferior to Gry Garness.

For a new retoucher, I'd suggest this book:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1138812471/

It was invaluable to me in that it made me aware of many techniques that I could examine at my own pace. Once I started watching tutorials, I was able to follow them much more easily.

I don't think it's fair to say about inferiority when comparing these three. I happen to have the video's of all three of them. They have similar ways of doing things and the differences are very minimal.

Personally I think Natalia is very good, but slightly more technical than the other two. At some point e.g. she talks about her high-pass and uses multiply/divide by 3, instead of eyeballing, it works for her but it might not for everyone.

I like Gry's dvd for the absolute essentials, such as understanding skin color, selections, masking, however, she didn't use very inspiring images (included on dvd), so for me it was a tough sit.

I like Kruno's videos because of the sequence, he tells you what he did in the previous first, and also uses images that are actually the images many photographers would like to shoot (depending on your interest of course).

IMO it's not about superiority, but some teachers connect better with you than others. To the OP, the best tip I can give you is to watch a couple of video tuts by different people, and then just conclude which ones connects with you best (and even on which parts, like I mentioned above for myself)

Mar 17 15 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

barepixels

San Diego, California, US

can you post the actual links where one can buy these dvd listed above?

Mar 20 15 11:12 pm Link

Photographer

Cooper Photo

New Port Richey, Florida, US

To begin I highly recommend Phlearn. He covers many different topics and styles without putting you to sleep in the process. I find Natalias and some of the others recommended so far to be a little more advanced and tedious.After you have the basic down their videos are easier to follow.  Nace @ Phlearn is very easy to follow, not only the how but the why.

Mar 21 15 08:37 am Link

Retoucher

NorCal Retoucher

San Francisco, California, US

I did a lot of Scott Kelby training stuff. You maybe interested in Professional Portrait Retouching Techniques for Photographers Using Photoshop. YouTube has a lot too.

Free downloads via links in book.

Good Luck smile

Mar 23 15 02:33 pm Link

Photographer

Mask Photo

Fremont, California, US

RINALDI wrote:
I don't think it's fair to say about inferiority when comparing these three. I happen to have the video's of all three of them. They have similar ways of doing things and the differences are very minimal.

this isn't about fairness; this is about usefulness.

Apr 09 15 08:29 am Link

Photographer

Stecyk

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

barepixels wrote:
can you post the actual links where one can buy these dvd listed above?

Natalia's and Krunoslav's videos.

Gry Garness If you were not aware, Gry Garness passed away recently--very sad news.

Apr 09 15 08:43 am Link

Retoucher

DylanHewitt

Keighley, England, United Kingdom

There are a number of course's I would recommend..

This course is by Pratik Naik and is a good starting point, if you want to improve your retouching.
https://www.creativelive.com/courses/ar … ratik-naik

There is also a course by Michael Woloszynowicz that is also very good .
http://rggedu.com/products/beauty-portr … -michael-w

For Dodge & Burn I would recommend this DVD by Krunoslav Stifter
http://digitalphotoshopretouching.com/o … ials-dvd-3

There is also a website you can use, which is more for professionals but they have some very interesting articles I recommend reading.

http://retouchingacademy.com

Hope these help smile

- Dylan

Apr 09 15 08:51 am Link