Model

mylifeisablackmirror

Austin, Texas, US

Currently there is a scam going out.  I almost got tricked but called the company and asked them they said its a scam delet the e-mail.

Dear Talent,

Having gone through your portfolio found on Model Mayhem,Backstage or Casting Network, we wish to invite you to our photo shoot taking place at (said location)on (said date)

NB: This is a paid position of $2,700 per event and we are also responsible for your travel and accommodation expenses.

Instruction: Please respond with your contact information(Name,Address & Cell #) and a check will be mailed out to you which will be used for all your travel and accommodation expenses via a designated travel agent(more information will be provided as we progress). You will also be provided with more information regarding the photo shoot, travel arrangement and compensation.

Task & Company profile: This job is for our highly reputable client (insert high profiling name here) as they continue to promote their products through print media.

The Notion Studio

Photographer

Harry Cochrane

All fake delete immediately i got false hopes with this and warning everyone about this.

Mar 24 15 05:27 pm Link

Photographer

Flex Photography

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

Decades old Nigerian Scam

Any check is fake! Any money forwarded to others is lost!
How did they get your email? Never reply! With your email, you will likely get more.

Mar 24 15 05:34 pm Link

Photographer

Nature Coast Lightworks

Tampa, Florida, US

That scam has been around forever. It is just new to you.

http://www.newmodels.com/Nigeria.html

jf

Mar 24 15 05:39 pm Link

Model

mylifeisablackmirror

Austin, Texas, US

I honestly cant believe they can get away using a persons name and photograpgy company and such!!

Mar 24 15 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

Flex Photography

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

calimatt1986 wrote:
I honestly cant believe they can get away using a persons name and photograpgy company and such!!

A reason they are called scammers is that they are inherently dishonest.

Mar 29 15 05:18 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

calimatt1986 wrote:

They are anonymous, working out of Nigeria.

Mar 29 15 05:43 pm Link

Photographer

Kev Lawson

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Moderator Note!
If that was sent to you via MM messaging please flag and share the PM with us -

Please use the "Flag this PM/Sender" feature found at the bottom of the message.
That even gives you the option to include the message that was sent to you so that we can take a look at that as well, no copying and pasting and all links will be intact.

More than likely we have already closed the profile. If it was a real members profile that was hijacked we make sure the real member regains control before reopening it or if it was a fake/scammer profile they remain closed.

Mar 29 15 06:20 pm Link

Photographer

Flex Photography

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

Mark Salo wrote:

They are anonymous, working out of Nigeria.

The scam was originally from Nigeria, but many now just copy/paste the scam, with minor changes. (not including correcting grammar/spelling) They can now be from anywhere in the world, including next door.

Mar 29 15 09:28 pm Link

Model

Linzie Marie

Boca Raton, Florida, US

Has anyone heard of a Taylor James, email [email protected]?

Jun 01 15 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

mophotoart

Wichita, Kansas, US

I have alerted MM of another scam...using spoofing email...got fake MM notifications that looked like it was from MM and also emails from myself from my mm email which I am now having to close and other members email being spoofed....of course, I have got many emails from young beautiful Russian girls that want to communicate with me because of my wonderful MM profile and pictures...the scary ones are fake emails that spoof MM notifications....they look exactly the same

Jun 01 15 06:03 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Linzie Marie wrote:

Names don't mean a thing. Scammers will use real names and fake names just the same, but it should be noted that live.com is the #1 choice of email hosting for scammers.  In recent years I NEVER received a message from a live.com email address that wasn't a scammer!

Jun 01 15 06:10 pm Link

Model

Linzie Marie

Boca Raton, Florida, US

Idk what to do. Or what authorities to get in contact with. I feel completely and totally victimized.

Jun 01 15 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Linzie Marie wrote:
Idk what to do. Or what authorities to get in contact with. I feel completely and totally victimized.

I hope you didn't wire money to anyone.  If you did, there's really nothing that can be done to get it back.
If you only received a check and didn't give anyone any $$$, then don't worry 'bout it.  If it's some other kind of scam, then there's a chance that something can be done.

Jun 02 15 12:42 am Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

If it sounds too good to be true it usually is.

If you go approach life with this adage the ability to get scammed is considerably decreased.

Common sense will take you far.

I get text messages now from "clients" trying to book for for an event and asking me if I accept credit cards.

Really?

Jun 02 15 01:08 am Link

Model

Victoria Morrisa

New York, New York, US

Linzie Marie wrote:

This guy has been contacting me to fly me out to Miami for a photoshoot. Is he a scammer? What was your experience with him?

Oct 09 16 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

Los Angeles, California, US

calimatt1986 wrote:
I almost got tricked but called the company and asked them they said its a scam delet the e-mail.

I know this is a thread from 2015, but I still don't understand how people can almost get tricked by scams as obvious as this?

But if these scams didn't work, then I guess scammers would stop using them. There's no reason to call anyone or do any googling. All you need to make your decision is right there in the email.

No one's ever going to find you on MM or other site, send out an unprofessional email, send you a check, then fly you out, cover your expenses, and pay you thousands per event. Just assume that and you'll be ok.

If you're not sure if you can handle the temptation, then have all your modeling correspondence go through another person who can spot the difference between a legit offer, and a devious one.

Oct 11 16 10:24 pm Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

Los Angeles, California, US

Linzie Marie wrote:

Victoria Morrisa wrote:
This guy has been contacting me to fly me out to Miami for a photoshoot. Is he a scammer? What was your experience with him?

I wouldn't even bother, seriously.

Oct 11 16 10:27 pm Link

Model

Victoria Morrisa

New York, New York, US

ChadAlan wrote:
I wouldn't even bother, seriously.

I know, I'm just curious. I stopped talking to him once I saw her post. I also reported him to the company he said he worked for.

Oct 12 16 09:40 am Link