Forums > Photography Talk > Excella studio lights

Photographer

RINALDI

Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands

Has anyone ever heard about this brand? When I google "excella", I only got the webshop pages selling them, and a couple of forums where they were mentioned, but nothing shared on experiences.

Of course, I would love to have Elinchrom or Bowens, but being in-between jobs at the moment, so money has other priorities. Yet, I like to step up a bit from strobist flashes.

Imagine the following: model in front of me, around 1 meter from a white wall behind her. How much difference will I see between having one strobist flash, and one studio flash (even if it's the cheapest one), with everything else the same?

Mar 26 15 10:56 am Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

Maybe they're rebranded from another brand - if you can find out which brand maybe you can locate additional info on the primary brand.

Mar 26 15 10:59 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

The lights are made in Thailand.  Probably just another Bowen compatible knock off light that the Chinese has done.  There are lots of small shops in Thailand and Korea doing it now.  Monolight is old and mature technology, you can't really can go wrong. 

I bought some early mono lights from eBay for $100 600 W/S, I beat the sh*t out them and they just work fine.  If I have Victoria Secrets as my Client, I don't I think I will use these lights.  Not because they are not good, but I worry my MUA and models will walk out on me.

Mar 26 15 02:38 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

As mentioned, they're probably rebranded lights from China.
These companies are known for making products and putting different stickers on 'em.
In reality, some of the models are pretty damned good, especially for the price.
Some models aren't so good, even if the brand sells other models that are good.

Some of the Chinese OEM's are
www.godox.com
www.neewer.com
britek
jinbei http://www.goldenshell.com.cn/en/products.asp?page=3

There's a few more who's names escape me at the moment.

Mar 26 15 02:39 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

J O H N  A L L A N wrote:
Maybe they're rebranded from another brand - if you can find out which brand maybe you can locate additional info on the primary brand.

Apparently Excella is an offshoot line of products made by Electra.  Unfortunately I know nothing about Electra but possibly someone else might.

Mar 27 15 02:07 pm Link

Photographer

Al Lock Photography

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

I've used Excella monolights. They work, they are fine. Color balance is a bit warm. They have limited control in terms of light power and no control regarding flash duration. Keep the screws in them tight. They have a tendency to work loose.

They are commonly available here in Thailand and sold at most of the better shops that sell lighting gear (anything better is generally a special order).

Mar 27 15 10:13 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

I initially thought private label too but the design doesn't look like any Godox, Jinbei or Nanze product.

This appears to be their website.  Don't know anything about them.
http://electraflash.com/index.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While looking I did find that Jinbei has some interesting 100 and 200 watt  LED continuous heads.
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/J … 79795.html

Mar 28 15 05:56 pm Link

Photographer

RINALDI

Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands

Hmmm oke thank you guys. I think it's always weird to sell something and not have a decent website, even if the product is crap, at least try to have a website with all the info etc. wink

Mar 29 15 02:58 am Link

Photographer

Al Lock Photography

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

RINALDI wrote:
Hmmm oke thank you guys. I think it's always weird to sell something and not have a decent website, even if the product is crap, at least try to have a website with all the info etc. wink

They actually do have a website in Thai. The great majority of their sales are to Thai photographers. They are used by a lot of pros here. And in Thailand, not having a website in English is not that unusual.

Apr 01 15 09:24 pm Link