Forums > General Industry > Deported for illegal photo shoot

Photographer

Gregory Thelen

Concord, California, US

I don't know if this is true, but an interesting read just the same.

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2015 … shoot.html

Apr 16 15 08:05 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

Indonesia has some very strict laws and punishments. Getting kicked out is a good thing.

Apr 16 15 08:14 pm Link

Photographer

- Phil H -

Mildenhall, England, United Kingdom

Gregory Thelen wrote:
I don't know if this is true, but an interesting read just the same.

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2015 … shoot.html

It's an established news source so there's little reason not assume the report is accurate.

Something similar happened in China last year when 60+ models were arrested and deported for working illegally, having entered the country on tourist visa's.
http://sinosphere.blogs.nytimes.com/201 … illegally/

Countries around the world, including the US, Canada, China and those in Europe have apparently started cracking down heavily on people entering on tourist visa's, while intending to work. Models tend to be one of those groups that do it fairly frequently, little realizing the likelihood of getting caught  is constantly on the rise, as respective governments increasingly require, share and check foreign travelers information.

What with so many people (male and female alike) now heading to places like Syria to join in the fighting there, those background checks will only continue to get more stringent. That in turn, will certainly result in more folks getting caught, arrested, deported and banned from re-entry, but that just doesn't seem to occur to many.

Apr 16 15 08:36 pm Link

Photographer

mccStudio

Santa Cruz, California, US

Reading the article gave me no explaination on how they violated their visa.  So a few Americans working for an American company decided to shoot in Bali, all of a sudden, they need to obtain working visas?  If no Indonesian company paid them, why they all up in their business?  Guess someone forgot the bribe fee.

Apr 17 15 02:02 am Link

Photographer

Kent Art Photography

Ashford, England, United Kingdom

mccStudio wrote:
Reading the article gave me no explaination on how they violated their visa.  So a few Americans working for an American company decided to shoot in Bali, all of a sudden, they need to obtain working visas?  If no Indonesian company paid them, why they all up in their business?  Guess someone forgot the bribe fee.

Ah, yes, the American way.

Apr 17 15 02:31 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

mccStudio wrote:

The title of that event was "Paradise Challenge", which sounds more like a organized photo-shoot-out at some exotic local... and you'd expect a ratio of many more models versa photographers, e.g. 10 photographers and maybe 2 to 4 models...

But... having a bunch of models, a makeup team, lighting guy and only two photographers... it sounds to me like that was indeed a commercial photoshoot.

Apr 17 15 03:19 am Link

Photographer

TomFRohwer

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

mccStudio wrote:
Reading the article gave me no explaination on how they violated their visa.

It does if you can read...

"They conducted a photo shoot on Bali without a working permit. They just used tourist visas when entering the island,” Ngurah Rai immigration official Mohamad Soleh told a press conference on Tuesday."

Nothing new under the sun - you are not entitled to work in a foreign country when you enter as a tourist...

So a few Americans working for an American company decided to shoot in Bali, all of a sudden, they need to obtain working visas?  If no Indonesian company paid them, why they all up in their business?  Guess someone forgot the bribe fee.

It was an organized "shooting event" with MUA, hairdresser, models etc. People get paid so people need work visa.
Paradise Challenge Event

By the way: if you do this as a foreigner in the US you may face a very unpleasant encounter with US Immigration.

No difference in Europe - how many of all those US and Canadian models travelling through Europe have a work visa? (Which they need in the same moment when just one cent is paid...) 10 percent? 20?

(And we are not even talking about taxes... how many of those models know that they are taxable in Europe for the money the earn on our side of the big pond...?*)

*) Take a big breath, ladies... under German tax laws at least your customer is responsible to transfer that tax for you.

Apr 17 15 04:31 am Link

Photographer

henrybutz New York

Ronkonkoma, New York, US

Being deported from a foreign country is now on my bucket list.

Apr 17 15 04:35 am Link

Photographer

Virtual Studio

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Meanwhile in the USA the annual Mexican "Gardening and Home Improvement Festival" where thousands of tourists from south of the border do manual work in the USA remains uncommented on by US authorities.

Really guys - it's the exact same thing. If these were mexican models working in the USA we'd have the same right wing voice pieces slamming immigration and undocumented workers that we always get when the topic comes up here.

Moral is: if you dont want to have your travel severely restricted in the future then respect the visa you have (if any).

Apr 17 15 04:38 am Link

Photographer

Al Lock Photography

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

mccStudio wrote:

For most nations in SE Asia, it doesn't matter where you are paid or even if you are paid. It's where the work is done.

Apr 17 15 05:08 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Virtual Studio wrote:
Meanwhile in the USA the annual Mexican "Gardening and Home Improvement Festival" where thousands of tourists from south of the border do manual work in the USA remains uncommented on by US authorities.

Really guys - it's the exact same thing. If these were mexican models working in the USA we'd have the same right wing voice pieces slamming immigration and undocumented workers that we always get when the topic comes up here.

You'd be surprised how much is done under the surface with the US immigration and deportation.

Nobody realizes among all that noise that under the current administration, more immigrants have been deported than under any other president in the history of the United States.

They are being extreme in their measurements and literally fine-combing through alien files, documented or undocumented. I can say this out of my very personal experience, being a permanent resident (since 1992), but not having citizenship from any country in the world (1951 refugee status from the USSR), when I was in Georgia a few years back, they didn't know what my status meant, so they put me into deportation detention (Stewart Detention Center), where they kept me for 3.5 months in this shithole until I was cleared and released back on the street and could go home to NYC.

During this time, seeing how they round up illegals from restaurants, construction sites, farms, traffic stops etc., people who live here almost since birth, paying taxes, having families and jobs... all being deported with no mercy, whatsoever... The public doesn't see that!

Was a rather "interesting" experience!

Apr 17 15 05:31 am Link

Photographer

StromePhoto

Kalamazoo, Michigan, US

Wow..  I have met one of the the photographers involved and recall seeing some of his Facebook status updates about his travels.

Apr 17 15 05:50 am Link

Photographer

JONATHAN RICHARD

New York, New York, US

udor wrote:
You'd be surprised how much is done under the surface with the US immigration and deportation.

Nobody realizes among all that noise that under the current administration, more immigrants have been deported than under any other president in the history of the United States....................

............... The public doesn't see that!

The government protects many rights for anyone who lives in the United States. Ways to be active in obtaining  these rights ….is to vote and be elected to public office.

Oh !!!!!…….my bad ..sorry

Many citizens do not participate in our government. They don't vote or participate in ways that can make a difference with what citizens  want  governed thru governmental  policy.
Some believe that citizens have a responsibility to participate.
Deciding whether to participate and how much time to spend participating as a citizen can be important. To make good decisions, you must think about several things. Some of these are:
•    the purpose of your government
•    how important your rights are to you
•    how satisfied you are with the way your  government is working

Apr 17 15 06:16 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

hbutz New York wrote:

Be careful what you are asking for... there are many instances where your deportable offense could have you spent months or even years in detention before you are being finally deported.

It is not as much fun as you might think it is!

Apr 17 15 06:20 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

JONATHAN RICHARD wrote:

The government protects many rights for anyone who lives in the United States. Ways to be active in obtaining  these rights ….is to vote and be elected to public office.

Oh !!!!!…….my bad ..sorry

As a permanent resident, I am not allowed to vote on a national level... however, I was rooting for Obama... and what you didn't know then, was that he became the deportation president..., so much for hoping that a politician turns out to be what voters were made to believe.

Trust no-one!

Apr 17 15 06:23 am Link

Photographer

Bobby C

udor wrote:

As a permanent resident, I am not allowed to vote on a national level... however, I was rooting for Obama... and what you didn't know then, was that he became the deportation president..., so much for hoping that a politician turns out to be what voters were made to believe.

Trust no-one!

Didn't a wise man say, " Politics is the last refuge of a scoundrel."

Apr 17 15 06:31 am Link

Photographer

mccStudio

udor wrote:

The title of that event was "Paradise Challenge", which sounds more like a organized photo-shoot-out at some exotic local... and you'd expect a ratio of many more models versa photographers, e.g. 10 photographers and maybe 2 to 4 models...

But... having a bunch of models, a makeup team, lighting guy and only two photographers... it sounds to me like that was indeed a commercial photoshoot.

If that is the case, they use to do those Ujena swimsuit shoots down in Cabo or some other country.  I don't think not 1 model or photographer ever got a work permit to participate in that.  What is the difference?

"Commercial" is where the end product is going to be sold for monetary gain.  They have no way of proving that.  They could be at a workshop, or a mass TFP.  I'm just curious how they going to prove it, unless Bali law is a bit different.  This is a fascinating case in my opinion.

Apr 17 15 12:19 pm Link

Photographer

mccStudio

Al Lock Photography wrote:

For most nations in SE Asia, it doesn't matter where you are paid or even if you are paid. It's where the work is done.

Looking from your location.  I believe you.  Doesn't sound very reasonable though.  I wonder if they paid a bit of money to the officer in charge for a "location fee", all this will just go away.

Apr 17 15 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

The various national tourist boards are usually a good starting place to contact to get the appropriate paperwork sorted out for a foreign location shoot.

Apr 17 15 05:40 pm Link

Photographer

Muxtor Photo

According to the article, they shot in some rather high-profile locations, such as the zoo. If you're not going to sort a work permit it might be a good idea to a) keep a low profile, and b) get the work done as quickly as possible. Article reads to me like they did neither.

Apr 19 15 04:58 am Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

Thats funny. But if they commited a real crime we reward them with free room n board for a few years!

Apr 19 15 04:33 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

hbutz New York wrote:

I was deported from Taiwan.

It wasn't as much fun as you would think it would be. smile

Apr 19 15 05:56 pm Link

Photographer

nwprophoto

Tonasket, Washington, US

Shot By Adam wrote:
I was deported from Taiwan.

It wasn't as much fun as you would think it would be. smile

Probably much better than jail time though smile

Apr 19 15 09:37 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

JW_Schrodinger wrote:
According to the article, they shot in some rather high-profile locations, such as the zoo. If you're not going to sort a work permit it might be a good idea to a) keep a low profile, and b) get the work done as quickly as possible. Article reads to me like they did neither.

My read is different. Seems like everyone repeated they were part of the Paradise Challenge. It seems more like a fantasy camp than a commercial shoot. Reading between the lines, it seems to me that the problem lies with the organizers giving bad or incomplete information to the participants about visas.

Apr 20 15 06:48 am Link

Photographer

Chris Rifkin

Tampa, Florida, US

Know pretty much everyone involved

Wow that sucks...

Apr 20 15 07:39 am Link

Photographer

Al Lock Photography

mccStudio wrote:

Looking from your location.  I believe you.  Doesn't sound very reasonable though.  I wonder if they paid a bit of money to the officer in charge for a "location fee", all this will just go away.

What makes you think laws have anything to do with reason?

Apr 21 15 01:59 am Link