Forums > Photography Talk > The Yosemite FREEZE!

Photographer

KBStudio

STATEN ISLAND, New York, US

Is any one having issue's with the recent update for the Apple Yosemite OS? My Mac book has been freezing for the past two weeks and is taking rather longer than usual to do simple things like edit images and write note's. Just opening an additional web page takes about a minute. I've already free'd up HD space and I also took it to the Apple store and they did the restoration process and told me to bring it up to date with the time machine app.

Apr 17 15 09:37 pm Link

Photographer

Kev Lawson

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Running it on 2 machines here, one a Mac Mini and the other a Mac Pro Tower (older style not the can). No problems on either.

Apr 17 15 10:20 pm Link

Photographer

henrybutz New York

Ronkonkoma, New York, US

yes same here.  Apple just released an update for the last update.  Check the app store for updates.  So far its been stable again after 10.10.3

Apr 18 15 07:26 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

I have a mac mini at home and at work and had a huge problem with the one at work freezing when I upgraded to Yosemite.  The techs figured out it was related to having a thumb drive plugged in when booting.   Plug in the drive after it's booted up and no problem.

Apr 18 15 08:39 am Link

Photographer

Michael DBA Expressions

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

Been using Macs for 20 years now, and I have to tell you that experience has shown that the two primary causes of freezes are (1) you have a bad RAM chip, which can be found with diagnostic software, and cured by replacing the bad module OR (2) you have a bad bit of software that keeps crashing.

The first thing to do is go to the Utilities folder in the Applications folder, and launch a program called Activity Monitor. Set it to show you all processes running, and look up and down the list for one listed in red as "not responding." You can use Activity Monitor to force quit that process, and if that solves the problem at least temporarily, you will know where to look for solutions.

The second thing to do is launch Disk Utility and repair permissions. It is possible your problem lies there.

The third thing to do is to boot from the recovery disk, and run Disk Utility from there to repair the main boot partition. These three things should be done before looking for bad RAM.

Apr 18 15 09:03 am Link

Photographer

KBStudio

STATEN ISLAND, New York, US

Michael DBA Expressions wrote:
Been using Macs for 20 years now, and I have to tell you that experience has shown that the two primary causes of freezes are (1) you have a bad RAM chip, which can be found with diagnostic software, and cured by replacing the bad module OR (2) you have a bad bit of software that keeps crashing.

The first thing to do is go to the Utilities folder in the Applications folder, and launch a program called Activity Monitor. Set it to show you all processes running, and look up and down the list for one listed in red as "not responding." You can use Activity Monitor to force quit that process, and if that solves the problem at least temporarily, you will know where to look for solutions.

The second thing to do is launch Disk Utility and repair permissions. It is possible your problem lies there.

The third thing to do is to boot from the recovery disk, and run Disk Utility from there to repair the main boot partition. These three things should be done before looking for bad RAM.

I've just done the first two and everything is ok. The last one was done two days ago and it seems to have gotten better. Thank you!

Apr 18 15 08:50 pm Link

Photographer

HHPhoto

Denver, Colorado, US

I finally installed Yosemite on my early 2008 - 8 core MacPro last week.

I waited for so long since the original release to install the free upgrade to Yosemite, because of the negative reviews on the Apple Site.  The reviews also seem to indicate that the older the machine, the higher the rate of complications.

I only had a minor issue with the external speakers volume control being disconnected (easily fixed) and an unscientific impression that more RAM was being used by the upgraded OS.

I added twice as much new RAM as needed to compensate for the imagined issue, and all is well.

Apr 18 15 09:30 pm Link

Photographer

henrybutz New York

Ronkonkoma, New York, US

I've been seeing some random noise stripes horizontally across the screen.  At first I attributed it to a loose video cable.  Now I'm seeing a connection to the latest Flash player and Firefox.  Once I close the browser tab the noise seems to go away.

Apr 19 15 05:12 am Link

Photographer

Joshua Morrison

Columbus, Ohio, US

I boosted my RAM when I upgraded to Yosemite on my MBP. I went from 4gb to 16gb and it's been a smooth ride since.

Apr 19 15 07:38 am Link