Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > My rant: What were they thinking?

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

There are so many new fly-by new models joining MM, they all have big dreams but no substance and will.  They all say something like that - My main objective is to set a good example and influence other girls to follow their dreams with confidence.  You will never see them again.  sad

It sounds so noble, but they have no accomplishment in life, they have never followed thru anything they set out to do.  Only thing they are good at is taking selfies.  Give me a break.

I felt better now big_smile

Apr 23 15 10:37 am Link

Photographer

Deep Visions

Oceanside, California, US

Many of them join with the mentality that photographers are gonna throw $$ at them to take their pics just because they have a pretty face, then reality sets in & they abandon their account.

Apr 23 15 10:53 am Link

Photographer

Penumbra Photography

Sacramento, California, US

Yup, once they realize modeling is actually a lot of hard work, they usually drop it like it's hot.

Apr 23 15 10:56 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

I know some pesky windmills you can take on as well

Apr 23 15 10:58 am Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

Several models have told me they joined MM because they heard they could do a little modeling for fun, get some free photos and maybe even make a little extra cash.  None of them were serious about modeling, even though their profiles stated they were.

Apr 23 15 11:09 am Link

Photographer

Anthony Chase

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Same here.....many are just trying to make some cash. They aren't serious, so they flake, never respond or throw out terms like " I'll decide if it's worth my time"..........oh really. Why waste your time......go work at Jack in the Box.

Apr 23 15 11:11 am Link

Photographer

Tony From Syracuse

Syracuse, New York, US

I think when the reality sets in that its essencially a website where they agree to meet men they dont know...that even though they are offered money....they get scared the closer to the shoot day they get.

Apr 23 15 01:16 pm Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

Connor Photography wrote:
There are so many new fly-by new models joining MM, they all have big dreams but no substance and will.  They all say something like that - My main objective is to set a good example and influence other girls to follow their dreams with confidence.  You will never see them again.  sad

It sounds so noble, but they have no accomplishment in life, they have never followed thru anything they set out to do.  Only thing they are good at is taking selfies.  Give me a break.

I felt better now big_smile

How could you possibly know that any of these new models have no accomplishments in life or that they have never followed through on anything they set out to do? Not unusual for people to try new things and if it's not for them to stop doing it. I like to see people try new things out, it's a way to grow.

Apr 23 15 01:33 pm Link

Model

Victoria Elle

New York, New York, US

It happens all the time in acting and agency modeling too.  It looks easy, but it's hard.  People don't realize how much effort they have to put into it.  It's also the kind of thing where you can put every ounce of effort you have into it, and still never get anywhere, because a large component of success in this business is luck.  Most people quit in the first 6 months.

Apr 23 15 02:04 pm Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

Deep Visions wrote:
Many of them join with the mentality that photographers are gonna throw $$ at them to take their pics just because they have a pretty face, then reality sets in & they abandon their account.

Some don't even have a pretty face in the opinion of many. smile

Apr 23 15 02:12 pm Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

Something funny that happened recently...

A model I have worked with a few times asked me about shooting a project for her.  She had an idea for some steam-punk or diesel-punk art, but needed some images to be the basis (the people) in the art.  The shoot required two additional models and she had certain criteria for the look she wanted.  Since she has a MM account, we agreed that she would find the models.

A week or two later, I ask how the model search is coming along.  Her comment was, "how do you deal with all the flakes?"  She was frustrated that models she contacted would either not reply or would reply with a short message they are interested, never to be heard from again. 

She said one model replied with a phone number and the message "call me after 6pm".  So she calls after 6pm and it is a pizza place.  The person on the phone said he didn't know anyone by the model's name.  She asked me, "why, why would she do that?"

I just had to laugh and explain my methods.  I generally do not message a model about a shoot until I see in her portfolio that she has shot with a MM member photographer.  I email the photographer first to inquire about the model.  If the response is positive, then I contact the model.  Sure saves a lot of time and trouble.

Apr 23 15 02:59 pm Link