Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Underwater dress

Model

Layla_B

Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands

Hi!

I have an underwater shoot planned (so excited, I read the whole long thread about it here in the forums).
And I'm going to make a dress for it. smile
I love flowing fabric under water, but I am not sure about the design yet. I was thinking long, layered and using light chiffonlike material.
But a shorter kneelength dress can also be nice.
So, just asking for ideas, what would you like more? smile
And I also have to decide on colour(s), the background will be black, so it will be a bright and/or light colour.

Let's hear it!

Apr 25 15 03:29 pm Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

I think something layed and fluttery would work well if you want a sense of motion and to add interest.

Chiffon, silkm satin or tulle I would think would all be viable options

Apr 25 15 03:38 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ArtistryImage

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Layla_B wrote:
...underwater shoot ... long, layered and using light chiffon like material...

Layla, please be certain to have a full team especially those skilled in water safety...  The talent can be a serious risk in a long gown in an aquatic environment... there are instances where "trash the dress" bridal sessions have ended in terrible tragedy...  The safety of the talent is paramount...

In this example the talent is a veteran lifeguard with lenghty tenure... she is now an aquatics instructor...

https://www.restonstudio.com/images/Brittany_mermaid_web.jpg

Wardrobe here was minimized to reduce risk...

Hope this helps...
All the best on your journey...

Apr 25 15 04:10 pm Link

Model

Layla_B

KungPaoChic wrote:
I think something layed and fluttery would work well if you want a sense of motion and to add interest.
Chiffon, silk, satin or tulle I would think would all be viable options

Thankyou smile Yes, tule would also be a good option for layering fabrics I think! It weighs practically nothing but still adds 'volume' even underwater.

ArtistryImage wrote:
Layla, please be certain to have a full team especially those skilled in water safety...  The talent can be a serious risk in a long gown in an aquatic environment... there are instances where "trash the dress" bridal sessions have ended in terrible tragedy...  The safety of the talent is paramount...

Thankyou for your concern. There will be an entire diving team present, so I think I will be okay regarding safety.
I also think that is why using light fabrics is important. Bridal dresses are quite heavy already on dry land, let alone in the water.
But I will take this into account smile.

Apr 26 15 12:10 am Link

Photographer

Chris David Photography

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

My preference have always been for the long flowing dresses - shorter ones tend pull up too much when you go down so will find yourself pulling it back down a lot and adjusting. Light fabrics are key but eitherway its going to feel heavy and hard to move in underwater - you will find yourself exhausted quickly.  Colours tend to desaturate a fair bit especially on the reds.

In a pool shoots are far safer and water clarity/conditions are more controllable. Ocean shoots have a lot of risks and variables to factor in. For me to shoot one in the ocean at 10-15m or so deep model would have to first be a very experienced AOP diver and on top I would use at least 2-3 assistant divers which makes the shoot expensive but safety is paramount. There's also the challenge of hiding weights on the model for this type too..

Apr 26 15 01:49 am Link

Model

Layla_B

Chris David Photography wrote:
My preference have always been for the long flowing dresses - shorter ones tend pull up too much when you go down so will find yourself pulling it back down a lot and adjusting. Light fabrics are key but eitherway its going to feel heavy and hard to move in underwater - you will find yourself exhausted quickly.  Colours tend to desaturate a fair bit especially on the reds.

In a pool shoots are far safer and water clarity/conditions are more controllable. Ocean shoots have a lot of risks and variables to factor in. For me to shoot one in the ocean at 10-15m or so deep model would have to first be a very experienced AOP diver and on top I would use at least 2-3 assistant divers which makes the shoot expensive but safety is paramount. There's also the challenge of hiding weights on the model for this type too..

Good to hear your experience!
I hadn't thought of the 'pulling up' yet, and the fading colours.
I'm thinking that maybe I can do a gradient; put some colour on the bottom half of the skirt, but I'll see what kind of fabrics are available for me to work with.

We're shooting in a swimming pool. The sea here is not very suitable for underwatershoots I think, too dark and cloudy (I am not sure ofcourse because I haven't tried shooting there, just on the beach. But it's far from a tropical island-blue sea).

Apr 27 15 02:38 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Use the most lightweight fabric that you can still sew. Even then you may be surprised a how much drag the dress creates.

Water pushes fabric around a lot, so, if you are planning on having bare shoulders, make sure that you have a rigid bodice or that the dress has straps that pass over your shoulders so that you don't become topless at unplanned times.

Long dresses have more flow, but short dresses can be very attractive as well e.g. http://www.vogue.it/en/photovogue/Portf … 5f0f/Image  Both long and short dresses will ride up around your waist if you just bend your knees to move vertically down in the water.  There are two ways to avoid this happening: one is to clasp the fabric between you knees as you descend; the other is to descend diagonally by leaning to one side so that the water presses the fabric along the side of your leg.

Colours - you can use any colour you like, including red.  Although water does absorb the red end of the spectrum, in a swimming pool, the loss of colour from clothing is negligible. e.g. http://www.vogue.it/en/photovogue/Portf … a989/Image and http://www.vogue.it/en/photovogue/Portf … bbda/Image

May 08 15 05:15 am Link

Model

Layla_B

So how did it turn out?
I made a long dress with white and blue fabrics in layers. The skirt longer at the back and shorter layers on the front, this was very convenient because it made it easy to pull the skirt up under water to be able to swim to the side.
https://s3.postimg.org/couzjgcz7/DSCN3865.jpg
https://scontent-fra3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xat1/v/t1.0-9/11401050_919086311487369_8392773422511465544_n.jpg?oh=c4e5478cd47761110f394d8aa15d3714&oe=55FECACE

Jun 06 15 12:23 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

well done!

Jun 06 15 04:38 pm Link

Photographer

Oubliette Media

RESEDA, California, US

Nicely done. Underwater shoots can be very challenging. I have done a few myself smile

Jun 06 15 04:50 pm Link