Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > what type of hat is this?????????

Model

Stella Sidney

Los Angeles, California, US

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/38/Audrey_Hepburn_Roman_Holiday_cropped.jpg/220px-Audrey_Hepburn_Roman_Holiday_cropped.jpg

Apr 28 15 08:59 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

It's out of style!

Apr 28 15 09:06 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

It looks like a maxi pad for a horse.

Apr 29 15 02:55 am Link

Makeup Artist

ArtistryImage

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Mousseline wrote:
what type of hat..

Mousseline you might be best served by broaching your query at one of the many millinery shops in LA... 

Might try Louise Green Millinery since she specializes in period couture ladies hats
Her Millinery is located at:
1616 Cotner Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90025 USA

Phone: 310-479-1881

That said since the image is of Audrey Hepburn in Roman Holiday (1953) for which she won an Academy Award (Best Actress) possible focusing on millinery couture of that era could/would be germane... Btw, this production won an Academy Award for Costume Design

Also please allow me to apologize for the somewhat inappropriate "maxi pad" comment... while Adam is a gifted and successful commercial photographer sadly his tenured grasp of millinery couture may indeed be rather limited...  enough said...

Hope this helps...
All the best on your journey...

Apr 29 15 05:43 am Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

ArtistryImage wrote:

Mousseline you might be best served by broaching your query at one of the many millinery shops in LA... 

Might try Louise Green Millinery since she specializes in period couture ladies hats
1616 Cotner Ave.

Phone: 310-479-1881

That said since the image is of Audrey Hepburn in Roman Holiday (1953) for which she won an Academy Award (Best Actress) possible focusing on millinery couture of that era could/would be germane... Btw, this production won an Academy Award for Costume Design

Also please allow me to apologize for the somewhat inappropriate "maxi pad" comment... while Adam is a gifted and successful commercial photographer sadly his tenured grasp of millinery couture may indeed be rather limited...  enough said...

Hope this helps...
All the best on your journey...

Edith Head was the Oscar Winning Costume Designer.

Apr 29 15 08:17 am Link

Makeup Artist

ArtistryImage

DOUGLASFOTOS wrote:
Edith Head was the Oscar Winning Costume Designer.

Thank you so much for sharing this Douglas... Without your diligence I might have never realized what an incredible costume designer and stylist Edith was...  She has received more Oscars than any other woman...   Her BIO is truly an epic journey... simply phenomenal... enough said...

Apr 29 15 11:10 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

ArtistryImage wrote:

C'mon Thomas... that was funny! 

Have some humor!   wink

Apr 29 15 11:16 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

MM is a No Humor Zone.

Apr 29 15 12:07 pm Link

Photographer

Photos_by_Stan

Youngstown, Ohio, US

internet search brought up that image with this description ...

" half moon shaped fascinator "

Apr 29 15 12:29 pm Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

ArtistryImage wrote:
1616 Cotner Ave.

You can see this from the 405 S freeway. I've noticed it many times and kept meaning to look it up.

Apr 29 15 12:31 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ArtistryImage

udor wrote:
C'mon Thomas... that was funny! 

Have some humor!   wink

Udor I try to play by the rules...

Tier 3 Forums: For serious industry discussion. Positive contributions are welcomed and encouraged. Nonsense and attempts at misinformation are not. Some of these may have sub-sections that are "a little less serious." They include:

- General Industry
- Model Colloquy
- Photography Talk
- Hair, Makeup and Styling
- Digital Arts and Retouching
- Critique

Please forgive me here but a fail to find the "maxi pad" remark germane to serious industry discussion....
Instead I found it yet another off color remark meant to solicit peer response primarily from male photographers....
While many here find humor in this... and there can be no denial of the aforementioned...
Possibly this type of humor may be better shared in

Tier 1 Forums: These are social forums for discussions beyond just modeling

just a thought...

Not feeding trolls has proven of little worth... thus I opt for a more "gentle" nudge to. Read the Forum Rules
Sad that not many commercial talent remain on Mayhem... hoping to see this turn around... and from the positive contributions to the thread I truly believe there is much hope moving forward...

btw Udor, your stellar knowledgeable and tenured contributions in regard to Runway and Catwalk photography has truly lifted the professionalism of so many emerging Mayhem talent in this highly refined genre... I for one have benefited immensely from your guidance here...

All the best on your journey....  seriously...

Apr 29 15 02:37 pm Link

Hair Stylist

rick lesser

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

It kind of looks like a portobello mushroom?  R-

Apr 29 15 04:11 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

ArtistryImage wrote:
Thank you so much for sharing this Douglas... Without your diligence I might have never realized what an incredible costume designer and stylist Edith was...  She has received more Oscars than any other woman...   Her BIO is truly an epic journey... simply phenomenal... enough said...

Edith Head... was well Respected and Admire by Directors and Producers, and Actors.

I got to go to her Office at Universal Studios in the late 80's. I was totally fascinated by Edith. Cool Woman.

Katharine Hepburn and Edith Head.....Yep Kate wore Pants all the time. lol

https://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af133/cirtapfotos/SFA002006568.jpg

https://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af133/cirtapfotos/9651d46d9990a1c75ae2ff5adfdd69a5.jpg

https://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af133/cirtapfotos/54e0727b90ac8b7b93328b77625133d2.jpg

Apr 29 15 04:30 pm Link

Model

Victoria Elle

New York, New York, US

As said upthread: it's a fascinator.  That particular one is from the 50's.  They come in a lot of different styles.  If you search for "1950's fascinator" on ebay or etsy there are tons available, many very affordable.

I own a bunch.  Here are two:
https://i58.tinypic.com/m7w3lv.jpg

https://i59.tinypic.com/2guw21c.jpg

I tend to wear them more forward on my head than you're technically supposed to.

Apr 29 15 10:11 pm Link