Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > Paid or Unpaid? How do you pick?

Model

Kyle S. Hendershot

Los Angeles, California, US

I've never bothered to ask but I'm curious, would you pay to shoot with me? I'm signed with an agency and they book me work BUT I've never been approached on here for paid work. So I'm curious what constitutes a paid male model on here and is my work worth paying for?

May 05 15 06:19 pm Link

Photographer

Images by MR

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Kyle S. Hendershot wrote:
I've never bothered to ask but I'm curious, would you pay to shoot with me? I'm signed with an agency and they book me work BUT I've never been approached on here for paid work. So I'm curious what constitutes a paid male model on here and is my work worth paying for?

I think it's hard enough for a female model who doesn't shoot nudes to get paid work on MM so I'd assume it's a zero percent change for a male model.  After all MM is mostly a networking site and nothing really to do with the modelling industry.

Just my thoughts.

May 05 15 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

Los Angeles, California, US

Kyle S. Hendershot wrote:

Hey there, you have a good look but I wouldn't pay. If a client was interested in you, then they would do the paying. But for me, as far as personal or portfolio work I would say no.

In my experience, male models (and some agency ones)  are always looking for photographers that want to shoot them, and I get requests all the time.

Don't take my word as the only word though. Others will have different viewpoints.
Cheers!

May 07 15 12:54 am Link

Artist/Painter

Art Hermetic

Leeds, England, United Kingdom

A lot of the comments in your portfolio come from people who shoot physique, erotic, sensual shots. They see a "look" that is not in your portfolio, but might be. For me, your MM portfolio misses many markets. It suggests a sexy look, but then that isn't what you are about-- you are an agency model who doesn't do underwear/nude shoots. Ok, that's a lot of MM paid interests out-of-the-way (as previously suggested). So, your portfolio is all about attracting fashion/commercial photographers. Then, I don't see any outstanding photographs that would tempt a fashion photographer (on MM) to want to pay you. You have a good look, can see why your agency finds work for you, but I don't think MM is the right market for your look as represented by your portfolio. Very best wishes with your agency career.

May 24 15 01:26 am Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

For every model that wants to get paid there are a dozen or more that will do a shoot TF [A guess].

Side note, several of your MM photos could be stronger, perfect images would be a more compelling reason to hire you. If it is the picky photographer doing the hiring, then the better your phots are, the greater your chance to get the shoot.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/140904/20/54092f781c6b4_m.jpg
Take a look at this photo in particular, your forehead, do you see wrinkles? Are there areas that are over exposed? When you sit close to a background it has a greater chance of being in focus, which do you think would look better, in-focus or out of focus?
You are the model, it is you that selects the photos that go into your portfolio.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150111/11/54b2d262b100b_m.jpg
What is in your front right pocket? See how the shape of the garment is distorted? What color are your shoes?

I wish you well

May 24 15 04:24 am Link