Forums > Photography Talk > Where to get a Large Color Print (roughly 44x66)?

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

I'm looking for a printing company that can print a color photo at roughly 44x66 inches. There is a place here in Seattle that quoted me $105 for a print that size, but I'm curious if there are other places (either in Seattle or online) that could do it for cheaper.

May 12 15 02:27 pm Link

Artist/Painter

JJMiller

Buffalo, New York, US

What is the process for the $105 print? That actually seems quite reasonable if it is something better than a poster print on crappy paper.

May 12 15 02:59 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

If my math is correct, 44x66 is 121 times the area of a 4x6.  $105 seems reasonable.

May 12 15 03:43 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

That seems like a great price, assuming it's a solid print. I don't have the price sheet here, but I'm pretty sure the lab I work at charges $130 for a 40x60 on Epson Luster 260.

May 12 15 03:46 pm Link

Photographer

mophotoart

Wichita, Kansas, US

what is the quality of the print you get for that....can be a great price or a waste of money, and purpose of that size requirement was not stated so not sure what to say...Mo

May 12 15 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

Maxximages

Los Angeles, California, US

https://www.modelmayhem.com/10720  Blue Cube

30x80 on standard surface 79.99 according to his profile.

May 12 15 04:42 pm Link

Photographer

TheScarletLetterSeries

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, US

www.carmelfineartprinting.com

With a professional discount---pricing on a 44" x 66" print on professional lustre would be just under $104.

Much higher quality fine art substrates are available, but obviously cost goes up commensurately.

The website allows easy uploading and cropping of files.  For larger prints, the website upload page has a separate link to transfer extra large files or for high res B&W piezography prints.

Contact me for your own professional account discount code.

ken

May 12 15 05:22 pm Link

Photographer

Light and Lens Studio

Sisters, Oregon, US

Mark Laubenheimer wrote:
I'm looking for a printing company that can print a color photo at roughly 44x66 inches. There is a place here in Seattle that quoted me $105 for a print that size, but I'm curious if there are other places (either in Seattle or online) that could do it for cheaper.

I think the Gallery in front of Barn's Dayton Street Studio has that capability.  Might check with Barn.  Fiddler's Green on MM.

May 12 15 05:25 pm Link

Photographer

Light and Lens Studio

Sisters, Oregon, US

Mark Salo wrote:
If my math is correct, 44x66 is 121 times the area of a 4x6.  $105 seems reasonable.

Because 4X6 prints are so common in processing labs of all kinds, they essentially are "mass produced"  Paper and Ink for large format printers can't really be compared to snapshot prints. 

Of course, you could break the images into 121 smaller parts of the images and then mount them all together as a collage.

May 12 15 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

Light and Lens Studio wrote:

Because 4X6 prints are so common in processing labs of all kinds, they essentially are "mass produced"  Paper and Ink for large format printers can't really be compared to snapshot prints. 

Of course, you could break the images into 121 smaller parts of the images and then mount them all together as a collage.

Yeah, the cost does not scale linearly. The cost difference between drylab 4" and 8" rolls is usually more than double, and the cost difference between 24" and 44" inkjet rolls is usually well under double. There's a lot of pricing shenanigans going on, so you can't always use print area as a pricing guide.

Red Letter's suggestion is probably best - that price would be about equal to our pro price too. It's actually a couple bucks more, but since we aren't set up for mail order work, our shipping is going to be higher. When all is said and done, you're better off going with the guys that do that sort of thing more - as much as I'd love to compete for Mark's business.

May 12 15 05:40 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Maxximages wrote:

QFT. Contact Blue Cube.

May 12 15 06:17 pm Link

Artist/Painter

JJMiller

Buffalo, New York, US

Maxximages wrote:

I just want to point out that the OP wanted a 44x66, which is a .666 (2:3) aspect ratio, while a 30x80 is a .375 (3:8), so a 30x45 would be the same, but still a lot smaller. (It seems everyone concerned with printing focuses on DPI yet just as critical is understanding cropping, borders, aspect ratio and bleed). I work at a lab, and every day I think I should start a thread about managing the canvas smile

Edit, Blue offers the 30x45 for $45...

May 12 15 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Mark Salo wrote:

Light and Lens Studio wrote:

I wasn't suggesting to paste 121 4x6s together.  That would be silly.

You missed my point. I was contrasting mass produced prints with an expensive custom job.  I explicitly said that $105 seems like a good price.

May 13 15 06:33 am Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

Thanks for the replies everyone!

i plan to test out the $105 quote by printing a small version and then if i like the print i will print the big version.

May 15 15 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

Renato Alberto

San Francisco, California, US

Mark Laubenheimer wrote:

Does not seem like a bad price. I had a 30x60 done at Bay Photo, and I believe it was about $90

May 15 15 01:07 pm Link