Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Adult FriendFinder hacked

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

More than 3.5 million people's sexual preferences, fetishes and secrets have been exposed after dating site Adult FriendFinder was hacked.

Already, some of the adult website's customers are being identified by name.

Included in the exposed personal information are customers' email addresses, usernames, passwords, birthdays and zip codes, in addition to their sexual preferences. No credit card data has yet been uncovered as part of the hack.

CNN article
source report (U.K.'s Channel 4)
Additional details via Ars Technica
FriendFinder Networks confirms "potential data security incident"

YIKES. The ensuing blackmail-a-thon could be MASSIVE. yikes

(NOTE: some articles about this incident are referring to the site as an "adult website", which carries a somewhat different connotation IMHO. The site in question is a "dating" ---but mostly casual-sex hook-up--- site for adults, as in grown-ups, just one of the many FriendFinder Networks properties).

May 22 15 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Los Angeles, California, US

May 22 15 05:17 pm Link

Photographer

henrybutz New York

Ronkonkoma, New York, US

a) 90% of the profiles are fake
b) The non-fake profiles use fake personal information

May 23 15 04:46 am Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

hbutz New York wrote:
b) The non-fake profiles use fake personal information

lol

Among account holders identified through the leaked details include individuals with emails linked to the United States Department of Homeland Security, the FAA, the government of Augusta, Georgia; the state of Virginia and the Metropolitan Police Department of Washington, DC.

One of the account holders is registered with a Navy.mil email address, and the hacked account records reveal that the person logged-on to the dating site from an IP address connected to the Navy Network Information Center in Virginia Beach, VA. A cursory Google search of that person’s name suggests they were a civilian employee of the US Navy who was married as of 2002.

Another member, who was interested in BDSM according to the data, used their official Plano, Texas city email address to open an AdultFriendFinder membership, but connected to the site while browsing from a Starbucks.

source

May 23 15 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

And the M / F  ratio is --->   16 1/2  to 1

Hacked data from casual dating website reveals less than 6 per cent of the British users are female
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … s-men.html

"Only 1,596 of the 26,939 users with a UK email address identified as female"

May 24 15 08:37 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

...and now, cheating-enablers Ashley Madison have been hacked as well.

Jul 20 15 11:35 am Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

NothingIsRealButTheGirl wrote:
https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Interesting... one of my email addresses showed up on there... from the Adobe.com hack a couple of years ago. I got the one-year subscription from LifeLock (or whatever that was) from Adobe when that one happened.

Jul 20 15 11:45 am Link

Photographer

Gryph

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I don't join sites like those for that reason.  My personal information can stay off the web.

As for Ashley Madison website being hacked, I'm not feeling sorry for any of those people.  I dislike anyone who isn't faithful to their significant others.

Jul 20 15 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

The Grey Forest

Igoumenítsa, Kentriki Ellada, Greece

I read a few months ago that several Medical Facilities run by Private Health Care industry where also hacked, stealing patients information.  ~ this and the Federal Employee database that was breached which compromised 18 million individuals personal information and their families last month ~ all signs points towards China,

...but nothing is being done about it

gee, isn't technology great ?  ~  something serious is going down and the Feds aren't telling us what.

Jul 20 15 06:32 pm Link

Photographer

SAND DIAL

Santa Monica, California, US

Kick posts '3.5 Million'.

TV says 35 million.

Kicks link has,

'Adult FriendFinder asks customers to detail their interests and, based on those criteria, matches people for sexual encounters. The site, which boasts 64 million members, claims to have "helped millions of people find traditional partners, swinger groups, threesomes, and a variety of other alternative partners." '

I didnt know straight people got outted. [wtf].

Jul 20 15 09:58 pm Link

Photographer

SAND DIAL

Santa Monica, California, US

hbutz New York wrote:

BUT the people behind the fake profiles are all too real.
Where do you get yr '90%' from?

Jul 20 15 10:00 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

The Grey Forest wrote:
I read a few months ago that several Medical Facilities run by Private Health Care industry where also hacked, stealing patients information.  ~ this and the Federal Employee database that was breached which compromised 18 million individuals personal information and their families last month ~ all signs points towards China,

...but nothing is being done about it

gee, isn't technology great ?  ~  something serious is going down and the Feds aren't telling us what.

While the solution is always "change your password often" - when the reality is hackers don't use your password to gain access to the files anyway. The only one that possibly is going to be kept out by changing your password is your significant other and even that becomes less secure because now one has to record their ever-changing passwords in some insecure place to even remember them.

Jul 20 15 10:03 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

SAND DIAL wrote:
Kick posts '3.5 Million'.

TV says 35 million.

Kicks link has,

'Adult FriendFinder asks customers to detail their interests and, based on those criteria, matches people for sexual encounters. The site, which boasts 64 million members, claims to have "helped millions of people find traditional partners, swinger groups, threesomes, and a variety of other alternative partners." '

I didnt know straight people got outted. [wtf].

wat

Jul 20 15 10:10 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Policy at the highest level seems to be to exploit security holes and encryption flaws rather than fix them.  If security services can find them (or buy them), so can bad guys.  The security holes remain.

Microsoft emits emergency fix for THIRD Hacking Team hole
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/20 … ncy_patch/

US still hoarding zero-day app vulnerabilities
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/03/31 … _says_eff/

Spyware-spewing Wi-Fi drone found on Hacking Team, Boeing's todo list
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/20 … d_spyware/

Psst, hackers. Just go for the known vulnerabilities
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/02/23 … eat_study/
"Server misconfigurations were the number one vulnerability, according to the latest edition of HP’s annual Cyber Risk Report, which concludes that well-known issues posed the biggest threats to online security.
Server misconfigurations provided adversaries unnecessary access to files which leaves an organisation susceptible to an attack."

Jul 21 15 02:40 am Link