Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > what do you think about this

Photographer

Alvise Dagosto

Saint Paul, Minnesota, US

Hi there. With these pictures, I've got as a gift a weirdly intense light and the beauty of a talented model. Likely the issue is with me, the photographer... What do you think:
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150521/06/555ddcc18cec9_m.jpg

May 25 15 05:31 am Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

Los Angeles, California, US

Alvise Dagosto wrote:
Hi there. With these pictures, I've got as a gift a weirdly intense light and the beauty of a talented model. Likely the issue is with me, the photographer... What do you think

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150521/06/555ddcc18cec9.jpg

As a triptych, the empty panel doesn't mean anything to me, even with the "Female vanishing" caption.
I like the last panel best.

What issue are you concerned about?

May 25 15 06:15 am Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Why are the images not sharp, and I agree with the above poster.

May 25 15 06:27 am Link

Photographer

Alvise Dagosto

Saint Paul, Minnesota, US

Why the pictures not sharp?
What issue am I concerned about?

Haven't managed to better capture the intensity of that cloudy afternoon's natural light...

Thanks anyway for your critique! Helpful.

May 25 15 06:46 am Link

Photographer

Jean Renard Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

natural light is the most amazing thing but not everything works in every situation.  We shoot beauty in a 45 minute window at the end of the day, for example.
Before you can do 'light' justice you need to understand it and then figure out what it will light up best.  Then focus on that eliminating all excess elements. Flowers like to bloom in certain light, a daisy looks best with bright light while violets look great in diffused light.  Nature can teach you a lot about colors, lighting environments and even setting.

Also realize that you see in 3d, the photo is 2d and as such will dramatically be different.  In that difference there is tremendous room for creativity, you need to look a tad harder and pay attention to details.

May 28 15 10:42 am Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

The title is cliche, and takes away more than it adds.

If all three images had the same composition, I might like it. If you're going to repeat, you need to REALLY repeat. Otherwise, it looks like you just ran out of good images to pick from.

Lastly, I'd also like to see the curtain pulled(blown?) more to camera right in the middle image. Or pull all three images back. You have a big change in your negative space, and it makes it look like it doesn't belong. If you had more images that'd be fine, but with only three you've got to be really cohesive.

Jun 05 15 11:37 pm Link