Photographer

Stephen Fletcher

Norman, Oklahoma, US

Just watched the start of it and to my surprise I found that Texas North of San Antonio is a desert!

I am afraid it is not going to get any better.

May 25 15 06:27 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

The first time I drove through west texas it looked like a desert too.  Not much happening there.  I did love houston though.

May 25 15 06:43 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I think I watched part of it, but it might have been another '300' sequel...

May 26 15 03:28 am Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

Stephen Fletcher wrote:
Just watched the start of it and to my surprise I found that Texas North of San Antonio is a desert!

I am afraid it is not going to get any better.

You realize the area north of San Antonio has suffered some massive flooding over the past few days.

...and actually, the area north of San Antonio is considered the Hill County.  It is somewhat dry, but there is water.  It is not desert like the area west and southwest of San Antonio.

May 26 15 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Fletcher

Norman, Oklahoma, US

ernst tischler wrote:

You realize the area north of San Antonio has suffered some massive flooding over the past few days.

...and actually, the area north of San Antonio is considered the Hill County.  It is somewhat dry, but there is water.  It is not desert like the area west and southwest of San Antonio.

I know that, but evidently the people responsible for the show don't know it..  San Antonio North toward Austin and Georgetown is heavily wooded and has a lot of streams and rivers.  I almost drowned in the beautiful but deadly San Marcos River when I was  a kid.

May 26 15 01:46 pm Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

Stephen Fletcher wrote:
I know that, but evidently the people responsible for the show don't know it..  San Antonio North toward Austin and Georgetown is heavily wooded and has a lot of streams and rivers.  I almost drowned in the beautiful but deadly San Marcos River when I was  a kid.

I heard it was filmed in Durango, Mexico.

May 26 15 03:06 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Summa

San Antonio, Texas, US

Please!

The Northwest part of the city of San Antonio IS what is called the hill country.

But, THEY are talking THEN, this is NOW. Comparisons are pointless.

Critical transition was when Lady Bird Johnson told Lyndon that what he needed to do was what became the 'electrification of Texas. What that did was to put electricity into the boonies. Pumps brought up water from the underground. This was then either pumped to the house or was PIPED to the house. One pipe bringing water INTO the house (along the way, to the live stock). Who did this effect, THE WOMEN, it added some 30 years to their life because they did not have to haul water to keep the house. The women of rural Texas saw that Lyndon got to be a big important guy, but everybody knew it was Lady Bird who ran the show. She was a great lady, just like the Yellow Rose of Texas, Emily Morgan.

Oh, by the way, if t was desired to make San Antonio look as lush as LA, the aquifers in Texas could do that. But why? And before some guy decides to challenge that, have you seen what the Edwards Aquifer looks like? Nope, no one has, not even close. But then some of us have been down there with the good ol' boys from Haskin Pump Service here in Bexar County. It looks like the scenes in Jules Vern type movies, just no light down there except when you turn on the lights.

Yes, there are big rains and waters North of San Antonio, this is the recharge zone for these parts, it will all skedaddle down into caverns and the ground and will flow after filtering through the limestone about a 100 years from now.

Drought, desert, not likely because this in NOW and that was THEN.

May 26 15 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

I always thought Fort Stockton was the s*%thole of the western world.

Studio36

May 26 15 04:48 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Fletcher

Norman, Oklahoma, US

studio36uk wrote:
I always thought Fort Stockton was the s*%thole of the western world.

Studio36

No that would be Clovis New Mexico.

May 26 15 06:09 pm Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

Watching the show last night, it was interesting to see all the mountains and cliffs between Goliad, Victoria and Harrisburg.

May 27 15 09:52 am Link

Photographer

WCR3

Houston, Texas, US

ernst tischler wrote:
Watching the show last night, it was interesting to see all the mountains and cliffs between Goliad, Victoria and Harrisburg.

I'm pretty regularly in and through Goliad and Victoria. Harrisburg is just a few miles from my home. I never noticed any mountains and cliffs either. Have I just not been paying attention these last many decades?

May 27 15 07:08 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Fletcher

Norman, Oklahoma, US

ernst tischler wrote:

I heard it was filmed in Durango, Mexico.

It must have been.  It wasn't filmed in South Central Texas.
https://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg100/Norman_Guy/Texas-Rising-Gallery-Lorca-P.jpg

May 29 15 12:28 pm Link