Forums > Model Colloquy > Photographer wants a second shoot, but...

Model

Lana_mature

Kitchener, Ontario, Canada

Need honest opinions from both a model and photographer perspective.  I shot with a photographer (TF) about 3 month ago, and he has promised me edited pictures which he hasn't delivered.  I picked out some pics (1-2) per look about 2.5 months ago and now he wants to shoot with me (TF) again.   I feel that he is now holding the pics as bait/leverage and if I dont shoot with him again, I wont get the pics from the first shoot.
I have asked him a couple of times very politely for the pics over the past couple of months and he said he would get them to me, but continues to shoot other models.
  I asked him how the pictures were from the first shoot but haven't heard back from him because I initially replied to him that was too busy with work to shoot a second time, which is the truth.

The question is "What is the best way to handle this?"  I am thinking I should just walk away from the pics.  Too many head games.  Opinions?

May 27 15 07:41 pm Link

Model

Shei P

Brooklyn, New York, US

Move on dont waste your time shooting again. If the pics from the first test were any good you would have seen them already.

May 27 15 07:46 pm Link

Photographer

Llobet Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

I agree.  Move on and don't waste your time again with this photographer.

May 27 15 07:48 pm Link

Model

Crystal Rose Modeling

Sacramento, California, US

Shei  P wrote:
Move on dont waste your time shooting again. If the pics from the first test were any good you would have seen them already.

I agree. Who knows if he will do this again a second time. I had a photographer who promised photos and never delivered. Will never shoot with him again. You know the saying "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me." Cut your losses and move on. If ever asked for a reference, give your honest feedback and tell your fellow models to avoid.

May 27 15 08:10 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Lana_mature wrote:

What did he say when you asked where your images are on the phone ?
Tell him directly you are not doing anymore shoots if he cant deliver images in a timely fashion

May 27 15 08:16 pm Link

Makeup Artist

muasunny

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Tell the photographer straight up that he hasn't delivered and still owe you the photos.  stand your ground and refuse to work with this individual until what was agreed upon is delivered.

May 27 15 08:18 pm Link

Model

Crystal Rose Modeling

Sacramento, California, US

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:

Tell him directly you are not doing anymore shoots if he cant deliver images in a timely fashion

This

May 27 15 08:18 pm Link

Model

Lana_mature

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:

He basically just gives too many empty promises.  I know the pictures are decent, but at this point there could be
many number of reasons as to why he is holding back.  Reasons could vary from not wanting to show his work with
a non-standard agency model, to wanting a more intimate relationship, to not wanting to edit something (being lazy) unless
it will benefit his portfolio..  Who knows...   Tired of the head games. 

I can understand frustration with TF shoots and not receiving pictures as many have pointed out.  But I also feel it is
unprofessional to want to keep shooting without delivery of pictures.  This is worse IMO.

I will just ignore him for a while and then tell him straight.  I am choosing to react this way because I am fed up with the back and forth. 

Thanks to all for the replies.

May 27 15 09:26 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Lana_mature wrote:
I will just ignore him for a while and then tell him straight.  I am choosing to react this way because I am fed up with the back and forth.

Good move

May 27 15 09:52 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

This seems not so difficult to me.
Simply say:
"Let's get the first shoot finished and then we can talk about a second - I still haven't received the images".

May 27 15 09:54 pm Link

Model

Lana_mature

J O H N  A L L A N wrote:
Simply say:
"Let's get the first shoot finished and then we can talk about a second - I still haven't received the images".

Love, love, love it.   The simplicity of it all.  Thanks.

May 27 15 10:03 pm Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

London, England, United Kingdom

"I don't work with people who can't deliver"

It really is that simple.

May 27 15 11:06 pm Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

"I know the pictures are decent". No you don't. If they were you would have had them delivered to you. No one wants to admit they are incompetent. People are chickenshit and will fudge and outright lie. He could have accidently deleted them or who knows.

I wouldn't shoot with him again because he isn't trustworthy and certainly hasn't earned your respect.

May 28 15 11:47 am Link

Photographer

Toto Photo

Belmont, California, US

Lana_mature wrote:
Reasons could vary from not wanting to show his work with
a non-standard agency model, to wanting a more intimate relationship to...

That came out of the blue! If you got some sort of creepy vibe, move on. Otherwise, I agree with you, John Allen's quote is perfect.

May 28 15 12:50 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Simply say:

We have a winner.

May 28 15 04:19 pm Link

Photographer

Top Gun Digital

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Simply say:

+100

If you paid a plumber in advance to fix a leaky faucet and he never did the work would you call him the next time you had a leaky faucet.

May 28 15 04:25 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

apparently he enjoys hanging out with you more than editing your pictures! unless you want to date him i'd say next. or send him your rates since you already know you won't be getting any pictures.

May 28 15 04:53 pm Link

Photographer

Natural Means

Yamba, New South Wales, Australia

Simply say:

Perfect, states position well, and leaves door ajar for another shoot if photographer gets his shit together.

May 28 15 07:15 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

edit:
Redacted rather than create more controversy.
I apologize to anyone that was offended. (edit: (and to those who can't identify sarcasm; and those unable to respond maturely, without insults and/or expletives.))

May 28 15 07:21 pm Link

Photographer

Renato Alberto

San Francisco, California, US

Simply say:

^This is the right answer!

Because you know the definition of insanity."Doing the same thing over again, and expecting different results"!

If you shoot again, you won't get those images either. smile

May 28 15 07:35 pm Link

Photographer

Mark

New York, New York, US

or you could agree and show up at his studio and say give me my pics before we start shooting and have a flash drive with you..

wonder if you could take him to small claims court (US) ??

May 28 15 10:09 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Lana_mature wrote:
Need honest opinions from both a model and photographer perspective.  I shot with a photographer (TF) about 3 month ago, and he has promised me edited pictures which he hasn't delivered.  ...

The question is "What is the best way to handle this?"  I am thinking I should just walk away from the pics.  Too many head games.  Opinions?

Not only do Ithink you should not shoot another tf shoot with him but since you say there are head games with him I recommend stopping the madness and walking away.

If you do shoot with him again, when he already has strung you along, then he is justified in not following through with shoots from any further shoots since, "you already know,"how he is.

I've been there, done that and learned from more than onen photographer in TF shoots. Sure, they have a willing model but a tf model expectation is to receive photos from the shoot and not just to repeat more of the same for more of the same, (i.e. nothing but head games from this guy.) If there are any head games from someone, why continue anything with them? No. Nothing good can come of that. Drama, but, that isn't my thing.

I'd walk away, block and save your energy for a real shoot.
Jen

May 29 15 03:01 am Link

Photographer

Beatnik 13 Photography

Barrie, Ontario, Canada

I am going with the majority here. If the photographer did not deliver as promised at this point . . write him off.
Why would you even think of another TF with this guy. I will put money on the fact that a lot of shooters would love to have
a TF shoot with you. And where you are there should be no shortage of photographers.

May 29 15 08:49 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Lana_mature wrote:
Need honest opinions from both a model and photographer perspective.  I shot with a photographer (TF) about 3 month ago, and he has promised me edited pictures which he hasn't delivered.  I picked out some pics (1-2) per look about 2.5 months ago and now he wants to shoot with me (TF) again.   I feel that he is now holding the pics as bait/leverage and if I dont shoot with him again, I wont get the pics from the first shoot.
I have asked him a couple of times very politely for the pics over the past couple of months and he said he would get them to me, but continues to shoot other models.
  I asked him how the pictures were from the first shoot but haven't heard back from him because I initially replied to him that was too busy with work to shoot a second time, which is the truth.

If you haven't gotten pictures from shoot #1 (or a good explanation as to why they have yet to be delivered), it doesn't seem like he's giving you much reason that you'll get pictures from shoot #2.

May 29 15 08:52 am Link

Photographer

alessandro2009

Florence, Toscana, Italy

Shei  P wrote:
Move on don't waste your time shooting again.

+1

May 29 15 09:09 am Link

Photographer

Amul La La

London, England, United Kingdom

Shei  P wrote:

My sentiments, and can I just add, he sounds like a complete an utter prick (dickhead), excuse my manners.

May 29 15 09:36 am Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

In nu yawk we say fagedaboutit! Move on but be sure to tell m he's a jerk!

May 29 15 11:06 am Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

BlueMoonPics wrote:
I agree.  Move on and don't waste your time again with this photographer.

D i t t o

May 29 15 11:37 am Link

Photographer

DespayreFX

Delta, British Columbia, Canada

Simply say:

My solution as well. "Sure, sounds great, as soon as I get the shots from our first shoot, let's try and schedule another one! Looking forward to that!" etc, etc.

May 29 15 12:15 pm Link

Photographer

Natural Means

Yamba, New South Wales, Australia

It would be different if he said "so sorry, the shoot 1 was a failure because,....... I know what I did wrong, and I'd like to reshoot if that works for you". But as it appears here I'd forget him and come to Sydney, NSW, Australia and shoot with yours truely. smile

May 29 15 05:35 pm Link

Model

Victoria Morrisa

New York, New York, US

If he is trying to manipulate you, he is definitely not a professional and unfortunately I don't believe you would get your photos back even if you did every extra shoot he asked for. Sorry this happened to you. sad

May 30 15 03:41 pm Link

Photographer

Rik Austin

Austin, Texas, US

That would be like a photographer scheduling a model that flaked on them the month before.  Tell him thanks but no.

May 30 15 03:46 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

Tell him to go pound sand, and if he's on here, give him my number if he wants to know why.

May 30 15 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

Armaziu

Bucharest, Bucharest, Romania

As a photographer I say...move on and just because he is such a d*** make sure he is not posting the photos at any time (in case you did not sign a release) smile Or say sure but you want to see the edits and get the photos from the last shoot...after that have him wait 3 months for the new TF shoot.

May 31 15 04:18 am Link

Photographer

LeWhite

Los Angeles, California, US

Simply say:

best answer^  HE probably isnt satisfied with the first shoot and wants reprieve.  Tell him yes, but old business first.

May 31 15 05:46 am Link

Photographer

Brad Malmgren

Lakeville, Minnesota, US

LeWhite wrote:
Simply say:

Being a photog, I really hate to hear stories like this.  If they are motivated to shoot with you again, I agree with giving a carrot, say you may shoot again but need the first shoot completed before a second.  Then, of course, don't shoot again...

May 31 15 08:01 am Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Lana_mature wrote:

Simply tell him what you feel, that since he has not delivered any photos from the first shoot, you do not expect any different outcome from a second shoot.

Let him know if he pays for your time form the first shoot at your rate of 75.00 dollars an hour, [fill in any amount you want to charge] for the number of hours you were at the first shoot plus travel time.
Then pays you in advance for the second shoot, cash in advance you will shoot with him.

May 31 15 08:24 am Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Shei  P wrote:

I agree and I believe that this is the #1 reason so many photographers flake when it comes to delivering the goods. If the images are good, most photographers can't wait to impress you.

May 31 15 08:39 am Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
Use his weaknesses against him.  Suggest an intimate encounter.  Have him take you to a really expensive restaurant where you are sure to get in the mood.  Make sure he books a room (penthouse suite), because you are planning on following through.  Eat, flirt, work him up. Leave.  Remind him about his empty promises as you put your coat on.  Then block him.

Do unto others as they have done unto you.

Really bad idea to stoop to his level. Behaving in a patently dishonest and unprofessional manner will not make him behave in an honest and professional manner. It will likely just make him more devious, since this suggested tactic will justify his bad behavior.

Monumentally stupid idea to bring the promise (even just a suggestion) of sex into it. Good way to endanger the model... or the next model he tries to work with.

May 31 15 08:51 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Orca Bay Images wrote:

Really bad idea to stoop to his level. Behaving in a patently dishonest and unprofessional manner will not make him behave in an honest and professional manner. It will likely just make him more devious, since this suggested tactic will justify his bad behavior.

Monumentally stupid idea to bring the promise (even just a suggestion) of sex into it. Good way to endanger the model... or the next model he tries to work with.

You are absolutely right.

May 31 15 09:20 am Link