Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Compiling List of Avoidable Issues with Models

Photographer

Vulpes Photography

Seattle, Washington, US

I'm looking to compile a list of issues that photographers/retouchers have with models, avoidable issues..  I'm not talking about lateness and behavioral issues but more of issues that you find later with photoshopping..  Here are a few I have, I'm thinking of providing it before a first shoot to help avoid bad results.

Peach Fuzz on face and arms -- strobes have a tendency to pick up small almost imperceptible hairs and make them look obvious by reflecting the light, and this creates a Photoshopping challenge for the photographer or retoucher.  I want to alert the model to the issue well in advance in hopes they will have time to remove the little hairs.  Wishful thinking?

Lipstick not evenly applied.  When retouching I can generally change the lip color (make them lighter, darker, saturated, etc. based on the picture needs) but sometimes models don't have any on, or it is not evenly applied.  The best I have seen is a light or neutral color that is applied evenly, then I can change the lip color easily without as much effort.

Too Much/ Too Little Makeup applied..  this is a hard one, I know that the bright strobes can really make someone look washed out without makeup, but how does one explain what is too much makeup and too little.

Contact lens (I noticed this on one model when retouching the eyes on a face only picture.  The contact lens ended up being very obvious in the final picture.  This is easy, I will have the model tell me ahead of time if they wear contact lens, and if they intend to wear them, and see if I can have them not wear them.

Wearing Tight clothing to the shoot that causes "indent lines" on the models skin..  I plan to request looser clothing worn to the shoot so it does not constrict the skin.

Anything else?

May 29 15 10:11 am Link

Photographer

John Horwitz

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

Peachfuzz? chuckle

OK - but people are hairy - good luck with that!

May 29 15 10:38 am Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

Los Angeles, California, US

Vulpes Photography wrote:
I'm looking to compile a list of issues that photographers/retouchers have with models, avoidable issues..  I'm not talking about lateness and behavioral issues but more of issues that you find later with photoshopping..  Here are a few I have, I'm thinking of providing it before a first shoot to help avoid bad results.

Peach Fuzz on face and arms -- strobes have a tendency to pick up small almost imperceptible hairs and make them look obvious by reflecting the light, and this creates a Photoshopping challenge for the photographer or retoucher.  I want to alert the model to the issue well in advance in hopes they will have time to remove the little hairs.  Wishful thinking?

Lipstick not evenly applied.  When retouching I can generally change the lip color (make them lighter, darker, saturated, etc. based on the picture needs) but sometimes models don't have any on, or it is not evenly applied.  The best I have seen is a light or neutral color that is applied evenly, then I can change the lip color easily without as much effort.

Too Much/ Too Little Makeup applied..  this is a hard one, I know that the bright strobes can really make someone look washed out without makeup, but how does one explain what is too much makeup and too little.

Contact lens (I noticed this on one model when retouching the eyes on a face only picture.  The contact lens ended up being very obvious in the final picture.  This is easy, I will have the model tell me ahead of time if they wear contact lens, and if they intend to wear them, and see if I can have them not wear them.

Wearing Tight clothing to the shoot that causes "indent lines" on the models skin..  I plan to request looser clothing worn to the shoot so it does not constrict the skin.

Anything else?

Here are my thoughts, although I know your intentions are well placed:

Peach Fuzz on face and arms -
Most women aren't going to shave their face or remove hair if they aren't already practicing this, unless they're being paid to do so.

Lipstick not evenly applied -
Makeup artists aren't going to purposely do a bland job, so that your retouching will be easier.

Too Much/ Too Little Makeup applied -
Makeup artist will make this decision, based on the concept

Contact lens -
Models need to see where they are walking since not everyone shoots in a studio. If shooting a tight beauty shot, it may be acceptable to remove the lens but I've never heard of this and I'd rather let a retoucher take care of it (if I'm not retouching the image myself). That's what I'm paying them for.

Wearing Tight clothing -
Shoots often involve different wardrobe looks, and although I agree with you, it's not always possible to avoid clothing marks on the skin. What if the designer you're shooting for is only shooting tight clothes and wants to jump from tight jeans and top, to a crop top and shorts?

These are the breaks when it comes to retouching human beings smile

May 29 15 11:14 am Link

Photographer

MC Seoul Photography

Seoul, Seoul, Korea (South)

What if the designer you're shooting for is only shooting tight clothes and wants to jump from tight jeans and top, to a crop top and shorts?

That should be taken care of before the shoot.

If there is concern about clothing marks on skin they should be shot from the least amount of clothing to the most amount of clothing.Won't prevent spur of the moment things, but you could avoid, for example, doing a bunch of tight clothes then going to a bikini after. do the bikini first.

May 30 15 11:41 pm Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

Los Angeles, California, US

What if the designer you're shooting for is only shooting tight clothes and wants to jump from tight jeans and top, to a crop top and shorts?

MC Seoul Photography wrote:
That should be taken care of before the shoot.

If there is concern about clothing marks on skin they should be shot from the least amount of clothing to the most amount of clothing.Won't prevent spur of the moment things, but you could avoid, for example, doing a bunch of tight clothes then going to a bikini after. do the bikini first.

Often it makes sense to shoot in the order of makeup and hair looks, and not wardrobe looks. So you could be shooting a clean look with tight top, then move to a more glamorous look with jeans and implied topless. You'll have clothing marks but are shooting in the correct order for makeup and hair.

Spur of the moment things do happen. Sometimes they switch things up, decide they want to shoot a different order or eliminate an item altogether and shoot something else.

May 30 15 11:50 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Avoidable Issues...

Really?  On commercial production work it is the responsibility of the creative director in responsible charge to assure the quality of work.... from initial planning to the final deliverable... lacking an AD on a session the photographer typically assumes this responsibility... Therefore all correctable issues must be resolved before the RAW captures reach post... The AD or Photographer owns all problems... they are the final say, if makeup isn't meeting client expectations then they need to send the talent back to the chair and have it corrected... The makeup artist, wardrobe styles or model is not at fault here, it is the creative director or photographer who own the problem....

That said directing a commercial session is an art that only comes with tenure...

This typically is an issue of inappropriate casting and/or illumination... Again it is the photographer that owns this problem, not the makeup artist and certainly not the model...  If the assignment is a beauty narrative then by all means Cast for a beauty model  Pounding a square peg into a round hole isn't going to work... There are compelling reason's why agencies have 15 year old talent on their boards... flawless young skin photographs well... anything else is a compromise...

That said,  tenured makeup artist know to always sweep away extra translucent in the direction of hair growth to minimize it being haloed in strong back lighting... And is a reason why tenured makeup artist INSIST on test shots BEFORE the session moves forward... MUA know better than to trust illumination solely to the photographer... and oft will mentioned the liabilities of strong back-lighting in real-time with the tog on set.... btw, tenured hair and makeup oft stand behind the tog in order to assess/correct issues early on...complaining in post production does little good.. it is an ill wind that blows no good...

btw, waxing of facial hair isn't SOP... either laser hair removal or electrolysis for face is the ONLY method an esthetician is likely to recommend... waxing (and gasp shaving) of facial hair is NOT appropriate...  and only electrolysis is permanent... ..btw, those who model professionally may be able to deduct the cost of this procedure as a business expense (but only from their earnings in modeling, check with an accountant here)

This is decidedly NOT the realm of post production.... if lip decor is wrong, the AD or photographer must send the talent back to the chair to get it right BEFORE proceeding... Again Test Shots are SOP and the AD and/or client will evaluate these and approve BEFORE moving forward with the session... Note: On the lion's share of commercial assignments in which I've been key MUA the test shots are done tethered so the AD & client can carefully study the results on a monitor (not a camera back or in live view). 

btw, countless times I've had to over draw the upper lip especially on caucasians,,, albeit shooting from a low angle will correct this also...  there is much that can be and is done in makeup to correct facial features... that said the same holds true for lens placement and lighting.... it is the aggregate synergy of an entire team that achieves perfection (actually approaches perfection which is always just beyond a team's grasp)...

You're funny... Post production doesn't figure into the narrative/theme... this is entirely the domain of the AD or client... and the key makeup artist is typically chosen on their previous ability to achieve the aforementioned.... However I agree that oft the photographer needs to coordinate carefully with prep (hair & makeup) to alert them as to the quality of illumination to be used... which can / will have a decided impact on the captures.... oft dramatically so...

Contact lens

Again a Casting issue only... The Call Sheet should address this LONG before the session.... You do use a Call Sheet, correct?

All agency talent know and understand this... have you consider working with the aforementioned?  Just a thought....

Anything else?

I'm trying to help here... to this end please allow me to recommend that you assist other commercial shooters in your market... Seattle, Washington has ample commercial talent... please consider joining one of them as a team member... Oft the easiest way is as a lighting assistant... however remember, assists are to be seen not heard... this isn't one-on-one training, but rather brutal backbreaking work that results in priceless wisdom... And it has indeed helped me grow professionally by many an orders of magnitude over the years, and yes I still assist and cherish the opportunity...

Hope this may help... or at least provide food for thought...
All the best on your journey...

Thomas Van Dyke
www.RestonStudio.com

May 31 15 05:22 am Link