This thread was locked on 2015-06-13 08:31:16
Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Bruce / Caitlyn: Another perspective

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

KungPaoChic wrote:

What a steaming load of horse shit

In what universe is street harassment provided more by women than men?

His universe. He just doesn't get it. At. All.

Jun 12 15 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

DwLPhoto

Palo Alto, California, US

Model Sarah wrote:
His universe. He just doesn't get it. At. All.

Well praise be that you are here to give the only correct opinion since the big bang

Jun 12 15 04:23 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Jun 12 15 04:39 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:
For anyone to go from an white male to a female is not  a transition one would take lightly.  Someone who has already been in the public eye, like Jenner, would find it harder to keep secret.  Wishing that Bruce Jenner had kept this transition quiet, and gone off the a desert island is ridiculous.  We have freedom of choice, and if Jenner wants to continue living in the United States, she has that right.  If you don't like the reality show, well just don't watch it!  We have the creative freedom to produce TV shows if the money is there.   It's television, and we can choose to turn the channel or turn it off.  As for myself, I've never watched the Kardashian show.  In fact, I hardly watch television.  I wouldn't even know about it if not for people posting on the web about it.  I have no plans to watch Jenner's transition show either, but I am all for civil and equal rights of all people.  Nothing more needs to be said.

MrChaos wrote:
I enjoyed reading all of the post this quote came from, but especially liked and agreed with this entire paragraph. I'm transgender and am not personally interested in Caitlyn Jenner's story; realistically, I don't think I have much in common with Jenner either. But I respect that we all have freedom of choice and and I know I can just avoid watching the transition show with Jenner if I'm not interested. smile

Thanks for sharing your thoughts - I've liked what you've had to say in the threads about Jenner.

You're welcome and thank you for saying so!  smile

First of all, I believe that Caitlyn is sincere.  It's because each and every one of us is unique in our own way.  Many of us are quite different from each other, but if we try to be empathetic we can can at least co-exist if we are willing to be accepting to others views.  I understand what you mean about not being able to relate to Jenner's transformation from Bruce to Caitlyn.  There is absolutely NO ONE like the Bruce Jenner that many of us grew up with seeing on the Wheats box.  But my gosh, none of us really knew the man intimately with the exception of a very few.  Our perspectives are twisted by the media and what is public knowledge.  It is NOT who Jenner really was, and ultimately became as Caitlyn.  This transformation has shook up a lot of people, but i wish that transgenders and gays who are in the public eye could be considered "normal" and not so ostracized in the news.  What I say to people who can't stop talking about this is that Bruce Jenner is gone.  Live with it!

Where you live in Oregon is probably nothing like the Silicon Valley where I've spent so much time living, working and playing.  I'm honored to have been around so many different people most all my life.  As a photographer in the music business, I've been the only "white boy" in the room.   I've learned so much from having worked with, and for people of most every ethnicity.  These have been awesome experiences, but I've managed an all reggae band of black men older than myself.  I've been at festivals & events for Iranians, African Americans, Indians (India & American), Mexicans, or simply Hispanics and Asians of many Nations.  Then there are those events for gays and transgenders.  I've happily photographed weddings for gay couples.  I have no problem with people just being themselves .. we are all one people!   

I grew up in a family that taught me to emphasize with others.  I'll never know what it's like to be a black transgender for example, but I can certainly listen, be open and accepting of our differences.   It's unfortunate, but I see a lot of racism and hatred on the Internet.  If only people in general were used to the idea that gays and transgenders exist, perhaps the issue of someone like Jenner becoming transgender would be so un-news worthy as to elicit a yawn and "so what else is new?"  response ... it would be good for all those concerned.   I don't get the morbid, obsessive attraction of all things Kardashian for example.  Why worry about other peoples lives who we don't even know?

Jun 12 15 04:43 pm Link

Photographer

Chicchowmein

Palm Beach, Florida, US

DwLPhoto wrote:
Well praise be that you are here to give the only correct opinion since the big bang

I don't think these are opinions -- there are facts and then there are opinions. Next thing you will be telling us that an equal amount or more rapes are perpetuated by women.

There are these pesky little statistics that just do not support these so-called opinions.

http://www.stopstreetharassment.org/res … tatistics/

http://www.sexualharassmentlawfirms.com … istics.cfm

http://www.rccmsc.org/resources/get-the-facts.aspx

http://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/p … heet-a.pdf

Jun 12 15 04:44 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Jun 12 15 04:49 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Jun 12 15 04:56 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Chicchowmein wrote:
I don't think these are opinions -- there are facts and then there are opinions. Next thing you will be telling us that an equal amount or more rapes are perpetuated by women.

There are these pesky little statistics that just do not support these so-called opinions.

http://www.stopstreetharassment.org/res … tatistics/

http://www.sexualharassmentlawfirms.com … istics.cfm

http://www.rccmsc.org/resources/get-the-facts.aspx

http://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/p … heet-a.pdf

https://media.giphy.com/media/5hHOBKJ8lw9OM/giphy.gif

Jun 12 15 05:35 pm Link

Photographer

What Fun Productions

Phoenix, Arizona, US

There sure are a bunch of first world problems in this thread!

Jun 12 15 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

What Fun Productions wrote:

And Model Mayhem forums can provide the solution to ALL OF THEM! lol

Jun 12 15 06:06 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Gender identity and women being treated like meat...yep first world problems alright. No one but 'Murica has these issues. Nope. roll

Jun 12 15 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Los Angeles, California, US

They just made street harassment illegal in Argentina.

http://www.citylab.com/crime/2015/06/bu … en/395606/

Jun 12 15 07:24 pm Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Los Angeles, California, US

Jun 12 15 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

Chicchowmein

Palm Beach, Florida, US

Yes sexual harassment and rape are first world problems -- nothing serious -- and of course  it's always nice to hear opinions from enlightened folks.

Jun 12 15 07:40 pm Link

Photographer

DEP E510

Miramar, Florida, US

Chicchowmein wrote:

Yes sexual harassment and rape are first world problems -- nothing serious -- and of course  it's always nice to hear opinions from enlightened folks.

One thing men could learn from women is to be forthcoming about the trauma they have faced.

Men get raped systematically in American prisons and jails-- and no one cares.

The men themselves are too traumatized and ashamed to speak out.

Many non-violent offenders are locked up with-- and raped/assaulted/ or killed by violent ones...

Not to mention innocent people wrongly convicted...

Jun 12 15 07:46 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

DEP E510 wrote:
One thing men could learn from women is to be forthcoming about the trauma they have faced.

Many non-violent offenders are locked up with-- and raped/assaulted/ or killed by violent ones...

Just stop.

Men get raped in prisons and women get raped in every day life in all levels of economics. in the history of ever.

Just stop.

Jun 12 15 07:48 pm Link

Photographer

DEP E510

Miramar, Florida, US

Model Sarah wrote:
Just stop. Just stop.

O, Hell No!

I am not going to be silent about male rape.

You must be ill.

Jun 12 15 07:50 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

NothingIsRealButTheGirl wrote:

"Dick is abundant and low value."

https://medium.com/matter/the-dickonomi … 4956c0c2c7

lol

You kill me.

Jun 12 15 07:50 pm Link

Photographer

Chicchowmein

Palm Beach, Florida, US

DEP E510 wrote:

It is unfortunate when anyone of any gender is ashamed or too traumatized to speak out against rape. Please don't claim to speak for me.

I don't think non-violent and violent offenders should be mixed together and I think men getting systematically raped in prison is awful too.

I don't enjoy the suffering of others.

Jun 12 15 07:52 pm Link

Photographer

DEP E510

Miramar, Florida, US

Chicchowmein wrote:

It is unfortunate when anyone of any gender is ashamed or too traumatized to speak out against rape. Please don't claim to speak for me.

I don't think non-violent and violent offenders should be mixed together and I think men getting systematically raped in prison is awful too.

I don't enjoy the suffering of others.

When did I claim to speak for you?

I don't even know you.

Rape and abuse is important to confront regardless of the gender of victim or perpetrator.

Jun 12 15 07:55 pm Link

Photographer

Chicchowmein

Palm Beach, Florida, US

DEP E510 wrote:

O, Hell No!

You must be ill.

Of course you do realize that statistically speaking ( especially in prison) men are perpetuating the rape of other men.

Jun 12 15 07:55 pm Link

Photographer

Chicchowmein

Palm Beach, Florida, US

DEP E510 wrote:

When did I claim to speak for you?

I don't even know you.

Rape and abuse is important to confront regardless of the gender of victim or perpetrator.

You said " No one cares" -- so you are speaking for everyone.

Jun 12 15 07:56 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

DEP E510 wrote:
O, Hell No!

You must be ill.

Why are you trying to turn this into a battle?
Sigh

Jun 12 15 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

DEP E510

Miramar, Florida, US

Chicchowmein wrote:

Of course you do realize that statistically speaking ( especially in prison) men are perpetuating the rape of other men.

With all due respect-- does it matter?

Rape is the issue-- not the gender of the perpetrator.

Men are silent about their suffering.

Silent for too long.

Way too long.

Jun 12 15 08:00 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Chicchowmein wrote:

OMG statistics!

Jun 12 15 08:00 pm Link

Photographer

DEP E510

Miramar, Florida, US

Model Sarah wrote:

Sigh

if that was how I came off--that was not my intention.

I care about suffering-- male and female.

I don't want male suffering ignored or pushed under the table...

Jun 12 15 08:01 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Model Sarah wrote:
Sigh

Certainly rape of females, males, or transgenders or any human is wrong.  I don't know what is going on here, but rape has absolutely nothing to do with Caitlyn Jenner or transgenders, now does it?  I suspect this thread has gone off course enough.  Can we get back to the topic?

Jun 12 15 08:46 pm Link

Island Sun

San Juan, San Juan, Puerto Rico

Moderator Note!
This thread has become mind numbingly painful. Had it stayed on track it may have been an informative conversation.

Jun 13 15 08:30 am Link