Forums > Photography Talk > World Naked Bike Ride LA

Photographer

ClassicLight Photo

Covina, California, US

Jun 08 15 04:02 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

We have nude events in the Bay all the time.  You see cameras everywhere.

Jun 08 15 04:23 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

The idea of the grotesque nature of some of the attendees would keep me far far away!!!:-))))

Jun 08 15 04:23 pm Link

Photographer

AG_Boston

Boston, Massachusetts, US

We had an event in Boston last year. Some of the people were receptive to being photographed, others weren't so willing to be captured. The event here was somewhat of a let down. A good amount of the people participating didn't even know the purpose of the movement. There were none of the "burn fat not oil" signs and no one (from what I can remember) was body painted. I did get what has to be the funniest photo I ever took though:
https://flic.kr/p/o715Zo

Jun 08 15 07:05 pm Link

Photographer

Desierto Vistas

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

GER Photography wrote:
The idea of the grotesque nature of some of the attendees would keep me far far away!!!:-))))

Really?

Jun 09 15 07:45 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

Desierto Vistas wrote:

Really?

Yes, really. I went to a nude beach once, it was disgusting. People I would rather not have seen clothed, were lounging around naked, and believe me, the sun dose shine in those places if you try hard enough!! I saw too many Nekkid dudes in HS Gym class, I don't ever want to see another one, so yes, really.

Jun 09 15 08:04 pm Link

Photographer

AG_Boston

GER Photography wrote:

Yes, really. I went to a nude beach once, it was disgusting. People I would rather not have seen clothed, were lounging around naked, and believe me, the sun dose shine in those places if you try hard enough!! I saw too many Nekkid dudes in HS Gym class, I don't ever want to see another one, so yes, really.

WNBR isn't about being sexy and nude though. It's attempting to draw attention as a mostly environmental statement. Right from their website:
{We face automobile traffic with our naked bodies as the best way of defending our dignity and exposing the unique dangers faced by cyclists and pedestrians as well as the negative consequences we all face due to dependence on oil, and other forms of non-renewable energy.
}
If you're not into it though, then you're not into it.

Also OP, here's what they have to say about photographing the event:
http://wiki.worldnakedbikeride.org/inde … raph_me.3F

Jun 09 15 08:19 pm Link

Photographer

beta

Nashville, Tennessee, US

AG_Boston wrote:

WNBR isn't about being sexy and nude though. It's attempting to draw attention as a mostly environmental statement. Right from their website:
{We face automobile traffic with our naked bodies as the best way of defending our dignity and exposing the unique dangers faced by cyclists and pedestrians as well as the negative consequences we all face due to dependence on oil, and other forms of non-renewable energy.
}
If you're not into it though, then you're not into it.

What does being naked have to do with that at all? I cycle nearly every day and the dangers I face are the same in spandex or  hip denim mix for that matter. I understand the cause, but naked is really only an attention grabber from many, including photographers who question the sensitivity of it all.

Jun 09 15 09:06 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

AG_Boston wrote:

They got a couple of things right:

Yes, they will. If the photographer is in a public spot while taking the photograph, he/she may use the image for news/educational purposes, just not for selling things. You asking the photog to not take your photograph means nothing if they are in a public location and are using the photo to report the news. Pesky Declaration of Independence.

there is no law to prevent photographs being taken in a public area

If you ride nude in public, there is really nothing you can do to stop people from taking your pictures.

Jun 09 15 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

AG_Boston

beta wrote:

What does being naked have to do with that at all? I cycle nearly every day and the dangers I face are the same in spandex or  hip denim mix for that matter. I understand the cause, but naked is really only an attention grabber from many, including photographers who question the sensitivity of it all.

I think they're definitely going for the attention grabber idea. The ride here in Boston is at night. So photographing it is much more difficult.

Jun 09 15 09:22 pm Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

GER Photography wrote:

I would think that folks who ride a bicycle in the buff would look slightly better than your average naked beach potato?

That and with those little saddles any added weight would.. nevermind.    lol

Jun 10 15 07:27 am Link

Photographer

Wicked LA Pix

Yucaipa, California, US

If your in public they can photograph you.

I like the part about the pesky Declaration of Independence smile   

"Yes, they will. If the photographer is in a public spot while taking the photograph, he/she may use the image for news/educational purposes, just not for selling things. You asking the photog to not take your photograph means nothing if they are in a public location and are using the photo to report the news. Pesky Declaration of Independence. "

Jun 10 15 08:29 am Link

Photographer

AG_Boston

Dea and the Beast wrote:

I would think that folks who ride a bicycle in the buff would look slightly better than your average naked beach potato?

That and with those little saddles any added weight would.. nevermind.    lol

Poor bike seat...

Jun 10 15 10:15 am Link

Photographer

BCADULTART

Hey AG,

I did the WNBR in San Francisco and it was great,  I've also done many Exotic Erotic Balls, Folsom Street Fairs  and
in the 80's I lived in the Castro.  Yes, many people at these events are not people the people you really want to see naked.

I've never had a problem photographing people at these events.  I think the most important part is how you communicate with people and how you present yourself.

Jun 11 15 07:29 pm Link

Photographer

AG_Boston

irphotovision wrote:
Does anyone know anything about the naked bike ride in LA, how do they respond to photographer?

I took photos at the Boston event last night. This was after communicating with the organizer. I asked people before taking their photos and told them where the photos were going. Almost all people were receptive to being photographed. Some of the other photographers just showed up and took photos with long lenses from across the park. As long as your respectful and not taking shots like a sniper in from the woods, people seem to be cool with you being there as a photographer.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskfoC8dL
You have to be a logged in Flickr user to see all photos.

Jul 12 15 07:03 am Link

Photographer

Frank Lewis Photography

Winter Park, Florida, US

AG_Boston wrote:
I took photos at the Boston event last night. This was after communicating with the organizer. I asked people before taking their photos and told them where the photos were going. Almost all people were receptive to being photographed. Some of the other photographers just showed up and took photos with long lenses from across the park. As long as your respectful and not taking shots like a sniper in from the woods, people seem to be cool with you being there as a photographer.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskfoC8dL
You have to be a logged in Flickr user to see all photos.

Pretty cool. Thanks for the link.

I wish we could get a WNBR event here in Central Florida.
For that, I would rent a bicycle and ride the event.

Jul 15 15 05:44 pm Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I hope they wash their bike seats after the race is done.. i know many people who remove theirs in the city, when at the bike racks. Then stick them on their desks like it's nobody's business.. imagine all the bacteria crawling all over that desk.

...yeah that's nasty

Jul 15 15 05:46 pm Link

Photographer

MMR Creative Services

Doylestown, Pennsylvania, US

Yeah.

Jul 15 15 06:10 pm Link

Photographer

AG_Boston

Frank Lewis Photography wrote:

Pretty cool. Thanks for the link.

I wish we could get a WNBR event here in Central Florida.
For that, I would rent a bicycle and ride the event.

There's nothing that says you can't organize a ride. I am certain the larger group will be supportive as long as you support their message.

Jul 15 15 09:58 pm Link

Photographer

AG_Boston

Solas wrote:
I hope they wash their bike seats after the race is done.. i know many people who remove theirs in the city, when at the bike racks. Then stick them on their desks like it's nobody's business.. imagine all the bacteria crawling all over that desk.

...yeah that's nasty

That is really funny. A bike sharing business here in Boston made a public plea about using their bikes. They asked anyone using their bikes in the event to only do so if they were clothed. I did a century ride on my friend's bike a few years ago...I told him I think that bike and I are now married...

Jul 15 15 10:00 pm Link