Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > What woman should be on the $10 bill?

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Regarding Jackson on the $20 -- yes, I believe his presence there is semi-ironic -- after all, he hated paper money & shut down the 2nd National Bank.

But these things (redesigning the bills) goes on a schedule, so that the older bills get removed from circulation.  It's the $10 bill's turn now.

I figure the "real" candidates would have to be long dead and not fictional -- when people suggest ideas, like Betty Boop, I just assume they are being funny.  Like, for example, putting a woman on the $10 bill will devalue it to be worth about $7.50.  (Too soon?)

Jun 26 15 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Monad Studios wrote:
Jane Addams on the $20, Alexander Hamilton ("the ten-dollar founding father without a father") stays on the $10.

Y'know -- it's kinda sad that there are so few obvious candidates for the $10.

Jun 26 15 01:16 pm Link

Photographer

FlirtynFun Photography

Houston, Texas, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
I figure the "real" candidates would have to be long dead and fictional

hence the reason multiple people mentioned Hillary Clinton

Jun 26 15 02:19 pm Link

Photographer

Frank Lewis Photography

Winter Park, Florida, US

You all do realize that what ever woman gets the "honor" of being on the ten dollar bill, she will be sharing that "honor" with Hamilton. He won't be going away. Myself, I like the idea of a woman being the sole occupant of the twenty dollar bill. Just get rid of Andrew Jackson!

https://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ATTxq41%2BL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

She gets my vote...

Jun 26 15 03:41 pm Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
I figure the "real" candidates would have to be long dead and fictional

FlirtynFun Photography wrote:
hence the reason multiple people mentioned Hillary Clinton

+1,000,000

Jun 26 15 03:44 pm Link

Photographer

HHPhoto

Denver, Colorado, US

Stephen Fletcher wrote:
Anna Nicole Smith, boobs and all.

The one and only time they bared more than cleavage on a US coin, the public pitched a fit and they hammered chainmail armor over the dies (obscuring the bare boob) creating a G rated Type II quarter early into the 1917 run.

18+ image, cough cough (of the Type 1 quarter minted in limited numbers in 1916 and early 1917)
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/38817888

Jun 26 15 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

Saint Gaudens "Diana" (2nd version) - or an idealized/updated version of "Lady Liberty"

Hear me out - no matter what person is picked - if a real person - all but the backers of that one person - will be pissed

start with a montage character.  (So everyone is equally pissed)

Lady Liberty has adorned US coinage in one form or another - so there's good history for it.

Saint Gaudens created the finest US coin - the 20 dollar gold coin version with a female model.

The Diana figure is a powerful one projecting beauty and strength - as well as versions of Lady liberty.

Or,

just the Statue of Liberty

Jun 26 15 08:43 pm Link

Body Painter

Monad Studios

Santa Rosa, California, US

Vintagevista wrote:
Saint Gaudens "Diana" (2nd version) - or an idealized/updated version of "Lady Liberty"

Hear me out - no matter what person is picked - if a real person - all but the backers of that one person - will be pissed

start with a montage character.  (So everyone is equally pissed)

Lady Liberty has adorned US coinage in one form or another - so there's good history for it.

Saint Gaudens created the finest US coin - the 20 dollar gold coin version with a female model.

The Diana figure is a powerful one projecting beauty and strength - as well as versions of Lady liberty.

Or,

just the Statue of Liberty

Or instead of an idealized beautiful young woman representing abstract virtues, we could honor a real person with real accomplishments as we do with men.  Once we've honored Gentleman Justice or Apollo (or Captain America), I'll be ready to circle back around to Lady Liberty and Diana.  In the meantime, I'm doubling down on Jane Addams for the new bill.

Jun 26 15 09:17 pm Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

Whatever, I don't feel like fighting.

Besides, there has already been a real US female on US paper currency - so - it's not like this will really be the first. 

Way back in 1891.

https://www.antiquemoney.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/1891-1-silver-certificate-very-good-condition.jpg

Jun 26 15 09:34 pm Link

Photographer

Keith Moody

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I vote for Valerie Bertinelli.  I love her.

Jun 26 15 10:51 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

What Fun Productions wrote:
https://d7.freedomworks.org.s3.amazonaws.com/field/image/Hillary-Money.jpg

This seems about right to me.  In a few short years at the current debt escalation rate, the ten-spot will be worth about the same as economy grade toilet paper. We can then put Hamilton back on the $10,000 bill as a reminder not to forget again about the fundamental principals that made this country.

Jun 26 15 11:02 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

Jay Dezelic wrote:
This seems about right to me.  In a few short years at the current debt escalation rate, the ten-spot will be worth about the same as economy grade toilet paper. We can then put Hamilton back on the $10,000 bill as a reminder not to forget again about the fundamental principals that made this country.

I always enjoy your posts Jay. I think you are insightful and have "the vision thing."

I have a stack of these German 50 million mark bills on my shelf that I bought as a vivid history reminder to myself, and as a souvenir from Czechoslovakia, before it was split into the Czech Republic and Slovakia.

https://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/m1ruGjhEdESbHBPcXb047mw.jpg

It's only printed on one side - probably to save the cost of the ink.

The "historical" times we are living through now is not as calm and managed as most people have been lulled into believing. It's always a very naive "business as usual"  for most people who plod along in their daily routine ... until the proverbial sh*t hits the fan. At that point, the best we can hope to do is jump out of the way when society as we know it collapses the way the WTC pancaked down upon itself.

It seems that throughout history, we are always living on the brink of disaster, in one way or the other. Pick any decade or generation you wish and there are always many "what if's" just barely under the surface of a very tumultuous and unstable  world. It's a very fine line between relatively stable civilized behavior and chaotic free-fall or collapse. All it takes is a trigger to set a major unraveling in motion. No doubt about it.

Jun 27 15 12:06 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Now that I'm an old fart, I have gained perspective on tons of things, especially "progress" on social issues.  For example:

...  I can remember when mixed race marriages were illegal.
...  I can remember when discrimination based on race was made illegal.
...  I can remember when it was illegal to be gay, and when gay people were thrown in jail.
...  I can remember when people cheered when police / National Guard shot & killed protestors.
...  I can remember when people didn't trust competent women who wanted to work for a living.

It can be argued that there still is a long way to go for us to achieve the ideals of the founding fathers.  And I would agree.  But I would also say that "we've come a long way", too. 

This discussion illustrates that to me.  The truth of the matter is that for much of history, women have been irrelevant.  From my high school days, the closest thing we have to a "Founding Mother" is Betsy Ross, who was credited to designing the American flag (a "fact" that is disputed).  It just seems to me that there are few (to no) appropriate female candidates for getting their likeness on our currency, especially if we limit the candidates to famous women in the 17th, 18th, or even 19th century.

So, I reiterate -- we've come a long way, but we still have a long way to go.

Jun 27 15 12:20 pm Link

Photographer

The Grey Forest

Igoumenítsa, Kentriki Ellada, Greece

I'm at a loss to understand why the US Gov is frivolously squandering any funds, let alone lack of any need to "redesign" currency given the horrific national debt. ~ its a waste of time and resources.  Especially when they came out with a $1 coin that was retardedly the exact same size as a quarter, where people gave away the wrong change and were always stolen by vendor machines that failed to recognize the face value.

hell, if you're going to do it, why not use Oprah
(though it might have to be oversized to a $12 or up to a $15 bill for her to fit)

The effort would be better spent on new types of currency.  Pennies are nearly worthless, along with dimes and nickels = make a NEW fifty cent piece:  I have the perfect candidate...

https://www.iloveportlandmaine.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/50Cent1.jpg

Seriously, why is this even an issue ?  Just place a demonic icon for the Federal Reserve / WORLD BANK on it and call it a day  ... that's their ultimate goal anyways.

Jun 27 15 08:31 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

The Grey Forest wrote:
I'm at a loss to understand why the US Gov is frivolously squandering any funds, let alone lack of any need to "redesign" currency given the horrific national debt.

Because old bills wear out & need to be replaced.
Because changing the bills makes it more difficult to counterfeit.
Because the "redesign" is a small fraction of the overall cost.

Jun 28 15 09:12 am Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

Is Cindy Crawford available to pose?  I think I am old.  I fell in love with her in the 80s.  Not sure I would spend my $10.

Jun 28 15 09:21 am Link

Photographer

DEP E510

Miramar, Florida, US

Seriously, why is this even an issue ?  Just place a demonic icon for the Federal Reserve / WORLD BANK on it and call it a day  ... that's their ultimate goal anyways.

How DARE you impugn the govt. with allegations of SATANISM?

https://www.notmygovernment.us/forum/images/Satan_2.jpg

https://www.notmygovernment.us/forum/images/Satan_3.jpg

Jun 28 15 10:20 am Link

Photographer

DCurtis

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

I realize this is an old, oldish thread ... I hope you forgive my tardiness in responding.

I don't think any state should hold a person, living or dead, above another person in honor. Most US Americans would agree MLK was an honorable person, what about the persons who supported him? Was Bayard Rustin less honorable? What about Malcolm X? What about MLK's wife? It gets problematic when we choose to pick winners and losers. Ideally, I would like see each bill of currency exemplify each of the first 10 amendents.

Barring that, I thought the portraits of the cast of 'Gilligan's Island' would be cool. Then I realized that might upset the multiculturists, so then I thought maybe the cast from 'The Love Boat'. The positive things about The Love Boat is that not only did they have a person of color - Ted Lange, "Do fries come with that shake?" But they had special guest stars.

Imagine, Ricardo Montalbán as the 53 dollar bill - for one week only, "Ah, Kirk, my old friend, do you know the Klingon proverb that tells us revenge is a dish that is best served cold? Or Tattoo on the 21 dollar bill, "De plane! De plane!"  'Tori' Spelling as 'that white girl' on the 42 dollar bill. In the 'The Love Boat' Land, Jim Nabors and Johnny Mathis could do a duet (my dream)

Anyways, I think the Federal Reserve should adopt the 'The Love Boat' Theme.

Jul 02 15 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

DCurtis

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

I just realized I didn't answer the question. In my The Love Boat Federal Reserve, June Lockhart should be on the 20 dollar bill.

Jul 02 15 07:16 pm Link

Photographer

rxz

Glen Ellyn, Illinois, US

TomFRohwer wrote:

Neither Benjamin Franklin nor Alexander Hamilton were US Presidents... ;-)

In the 1860ies by the way for a few years 20 $ bills with the portrait of indian princess Pocahontas were issued. (By the First National Bank of Butte, Montana. In that time dollar bills were printed and issued by several private banks, not by the Federal Reserve.) So it would not be a "first" anyway.

What about Mary Edwards Walker? Just as a suggestions from overseas...;-)

You forgot to mention Salmon Chase ($10,000), governor, senator, and Supreme Court justice.   Pulled from circulation in 1969, 300+ still exist in the hands of collectors.

Jul 02 15 08:51 pm Link

Photographer

Springfield Fotografiya

Springfield, Missouri, US

As of now, the highest ranking woman in American history is former Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi, so she would be the most credible candidate if we went by the objective standard of presidential succession to determine rank.  On the other hand, recent court decisions have emphasized that the Supreme Court is far more powerful than the White House and Congress combined so it might be better to go with a female Supreme Court Justice- Sandra Day O'Connor, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Sonia Sotomayor, or Elena Kagan.  Those five are the most powerful women in our political history so one of them would make the most sense.

Jul 02 15 11:48 pm Link

Model

Delia Mak

New York, New York, US

Um, why do they have to be $10 bills? Why do we need to replace this dude from $10 bills? Why not we create $500 bills for a special lady to put on? Who the heck are those women if they are not well known? Why not pick one of the other dudes like MLK?

Too many questions... oh well...

Jul 03 15 02:42 am Link

Photographer

Al Lock Photography

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

Prudence

Jul 05 15 04:20 am Link

Photographer

Tony From Syracuse

Syracuse, New York, US

Susan B Anthony...Harriet Tubman,Mother Teresa or Rosa Parks. I'd be cool with any.

Jul 05 15 08:48 am Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

What Fun Productions wrote:
https://d7.freedomworks.org.s3.amazonaws.com/field/image/Hillary-Money.jpg

I think this is a much more appropriate photo for her though...

https://www.shotbyadam.com/images/hillary10.jpg

Jul 05 15 09:10 am Link

Photographer

Naughty Ties

Riverview, Florida, US

My choice is Jenna Jameson!  A business savy woman who built an empire and can suck a golf ball through 20 feet of garden hose on the face of currency would be awesome!

Jul 05 15 10:44 am Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

They should have 1,000 different bills... with 1,000 different gorgeous supermodels on them.

They can become collectibles... collect the whole set, and you've saved up $10,000..... just enough to almost pay your healthcare premiums next year.

Jul 05 15 11:16 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

A cultural icon from history who everyone loves

https://bossip.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/aunt-jemima.jpg?w=700

Jul 05 15 11:37 am Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Click Hamilton wrote:
A cultural icon from history who everyone loves

https://bossip.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/aunt-jemima.jpg?w=700

Creamed eggs? Why does that not sound appetizing?

Jul 05 15 05:03 pm Link

Photographer

Naughty Ties

Riverview, Florida, US

Lightcraft Studio wrote:
They should have 1,000 different bills... with 1,000 different gorgeous supermodels on them.

They can become collectibles... collect the whole set, and you've saved up $10,000..... just enough to almost pay your healthcare premiums next year.

That's one way to promote people to save.  lol

Jul 05 15 05:04 pm Link

Photographer

r T p

Los Angeles, California, US

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/42bacf4dcbbd08d07ab5c508e5cca0316778de53/c=254-0-921-500&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/BattleCreek/2015/03/06/B9316475901Z.1_20150306111855_000_G79A4JOF8.1-0.jpg

Jul 05 15 08:13 pm Link

Photographer

Carlos Occidental

My Mom.

I'm fine with Aunt Jemima, too.

Jul 07 15 12:36 pm Link

Photographer

Carlos Occidental

Lightcraft Studio wrote:

From the success of the state quarters, this is a fantastic idea!

Jul 07 15 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

Pinup Fantasies

HIXSON, Tennessee, US

Shadow Dancer wrote:
Julie Newmar as Catwoman. /thread

https://www.philsilversshow.com/191569.jpg

She gets my vote!! Oh the childhood fantasies watching Batman!

Jul 07 15 01:55 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Maybe we can do it like we've done the quarters -- each state can have something different.  Now we'll have to find 50 candidates.

Jul 07 15 02:43 pm Link

Photographer

Images By Cynthia

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

My vote would be for any of the following:

Margaret Sanger

Rosa Parks

The Miss Statue of Liberty

Sep 22 15 10:56 am Link

Photographer

What Fun Productions

Phoenix, Arizona, US

https://static.ijreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/US10dollarbill-Series_2004A.jpg

Sep 22 15 11:04 am Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

Barbara Jordan

Sep 22 15 11:29 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

https://scontent.flas1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/12049280_10153093874007536_8451451488161042491_n.jpg?oh=df3cd90ac422df9cc775890d9c6f6855&oe=56A50CB0

Sep 22 15 12:00 pm Link

Photographer

Flynns Fotos

San Mateo, California, US

Etta James or Tina Turner.

Then it could be called a screamin' sawbuck.

Sep 22 15 12:16 pm Link