Forums > Photography Talk > What is your photography dream job?

Photographer

Color of Boom

Panamá, Panamá, Panama

War photographer.
I'm so angry that my life took me to photography only after I left the military.  I was an Army Ranger (1992-1998) and would have walked away with some amazing stuff even if I only have mediocre talent.  Plus I have so many fond memories that are fading which I would have been able to preserve.  sad

Jun 29 15 04:23 am Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

Derek Ridgers wrote:

Your sarcasm doesn’t really help your argument.  Originally you claimed -

I was just trying  to make the point that sometimes it wasn't a positive factor.  In the genres I mentioned, those artists almost always succeeded despite their education rather than because of it.

To say that all artists eventually need the assistance of gallerists, curators, publishers, journalists, gallery owners, art patrons etc. that have themselves been educated is undoubtedly true.  But it’s an argument so tenuous as to have no real meaning. 

No one with any sense would argue against education and I wasn’t trying to do that.

Thanks for the clarification.  You can't say someone became critically acclaimed without the educated critics.  It doesn't make sense.

Jun 29 15 05:46 am Link

Photographer

johel

Paramount, California, US

Naughty Ties wrote:
Erotic fetish.

Oh wait...I already do it full time so I guess I'm good.  smile

really and you make living doing that wow nice

Jun 29 15 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

My would be a GWC. I am already a GWC, just not being paid as a job.  :p

Jun 29 15 01:51 pm Link

Photographer

Deep Visions

Oceanside, California, US

Derek Ridgers wrote:

Unless you are only ever going to shoot small bands in small clubs, it will be a very frustrating experience.

Photographing big bands in big arenas you normally get the first three songs.  Sometimes only the first song.  During which time the musicians purposely don’t go near the photographers.

Often the bands PR person will tell you exactly where to stand and you’ll be in that spot with many others, all with their elbows out.

You’ll often be 40 feet away with TV cameras and security personnel ranged in front of you.

Then, after your allotted time, the PR person or the security lead you out.  Often not out the front but out the back and at an event like Glastonbury it can take quite a while to get around to the front.  By which time you’ll have missed seeing half the show.

All this and you'll most probably have to sign all your rights away too.

Good luck with all that.  You really, really need to like the music.

I'm aware that this is the case at many big venues. I remember one of my first concerts in Tijuana, Mexico in which this was the case. However I chose to shoot from the VIP section which was away from the stage & I used my zoom lens. After about the 3rd song, sure enough, all the photogs that were in the photographers' pit were being led out while I was still capturing some cool shots from my perch.

Jun 30 15 12:18 am Link

Photographer

Glamour by Glenn

Chattanooga, Tennessee, US

Derek Ridgers wrote:

Unless you are only ever going to shoot small bands in small clubs, it will be a very frustrating experience.

Photographing big bands in big arenas you normally get the first three songs.  Sometimes only the first song.  During which time the musicians purposely don’t go near the photographers.

Often the bands PR person will tell you exactly where to stand and you’ll be in that spot with many others, all with their elbows out.

You’ll often be 40 feet away with TV cameras and security personnel ranged in front of you.

Then, after your allotted time, the PR person or the security lead you out.  Often not out the front but out the back and at an event like Glastonbury it can take quite a while to get around to the front.  By which time you’ll have missed seeing half the show.

All this and you'll most probably have to sign all your rights away too.

Good luck with all that.  You really, really need to like the music.

Sounds like you've done it a few times. That's the typical scenario for 99% of the photographers shooting concerts and music festivals, but there are some better gigs to be had but they are very few and far between. Danny Clinch gets access to almost anywhere anytime at Bonnaroo, even shooting onstage at times. That's the job I want, Danny Clinch's gig. I hope he becomes a full-time harmonica player and recommends me as his replacement. wink

I was asked to shoot an EDM music festival as a house photographer. I hope it leads to something bigger and better!

Glenn C
http://glennwc.tumblr.com

Jun 30 15 12:33 am Link

Photographer

Derek Ridgers

London, England, United Kingdom

Glamour by Glenn wrote:
Sounds like you've done it a few times.

Yes, I was a full time rock photographer for 25 years. 

I stopped doing it about ten years ago when I became too old to know who any of the new bands were and I couldn’t shoot one frame without having to sign some sort of contract first. 

By 2008, illegal file sharing and the worldwide recession hit the record companies (so there was less money sloshing around) and the internet did for many of the great music magazines. So most of my generation of rock photographers also stopped.

It was fun while it lasted.

But I know there are plenty of photographers who still do it.  Many of them quite active on Model Mayhem.

Jun 30 15 02:24 am Link

Photographer

Derek Ridgers

Deep Visions wrote:
I'm aware that this is the case at many big venues. I remember one of my first concerts in Tijuana, Mexico in which this was the case. However I chose to shoot from the VIP section which was away from the stage & I used my zoom lens. After about the 3rd song, sure enough, all the photogs that were in the photographers' pit were being led out while I was still capturing some cool shots from my perch.

If you can sneak in past security with a decent camera and a long lens, and they don't see you when you're in there, this is a way to do it. 

But it’s often not the ideal perspective.  You really want to be down the front, in the middle.  As Glenn says, you can shoot bands from the stage but this isn’t really the ideal perspective either.  I’ve seen some great shots of Freddie Mercury taken from the back of the stage, so there are exceptions.  In that case you really do want someone who commands a stage like Freddie used to do and not just stand there immobile like some.

Jun 30 15 02:28 am Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

Is there still rock?  Last time I visited Los Angeles most of the small rock venues were playing hip hop.  I think the Whiskey was still there.  The Roxy too but I think it is same owner.  I hope it still is.   I think I am old.  I don't enjoy most of the bands anymore.

If I watch live bands with new music I think I like country.

Jun 30 15 03:24 am Link

Photographer

still-photography

Bothell, Washington, US

Solas wrote:
pffft...you guys are cheating ! tongue it's no longer just a dream if you're doing it !

Disagree!

My dream - find a niche publishing company that really NEEDS me.  One that produces & sells helpful, inspiring books to their specific market for a reasonable price.  Ideally I'd end up owning a share of the company.  I'd draw a really decent salary, have 4-6 weeks of paid vacation, health - disability - life insurance that would be prohibitive on my own due to recurring cancers, a good mix of studio & location - still & video - "product" & fashion, have an air-conditioned studio, do some national & international assignments, and have enough flexibility to be on hand for doctor appointments, school plays, field trips & teacher conferences while my kids grow up.

=====

Realized since 1993, and it's still my dream job!

Jun 30 15 10:53 am Link

Photographer

Willie Brown Photos

Anderson, South Carolina, US

My dream job?  Working with Alt Models and getting published in magazines that features those type of models such as tattoo magazines, piercing magazines, goth magazines, etc.  Also urban fashion as well.

Also to be able to own a studio and be able to live comfortably with my wife.

Yep, that's pretty much my dream.

Jun 30 15 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

Derek Ridgers

Jul 02 15 10:58 pm Link

Photographer

Marcio Faustino

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

I don't have a dream job. my dream is to be free.

Jul 05 15 08:29 am Link

Photographer

Keith Moody

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Marcio Faustino wrote:
I don't have a dream job. my dream is to be free.

Free to do what?

Jul 05 15 11:19 am Link

Photographer

Marcio Faustino

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Phoenix Digital Image wrote:

Free to do what?

Free to do nothing when I am in the mood. To sleep as much as I want. To grow my own food and see them growing. To walk and explore landscapes whenever and as much as I want, going to nowhere in particular without worring about tomorrow, or worrying about going early to bed, or shave, or have time to eat, and so own.

Jul 05 15 02:10 pm Link

Photographer

Deep Visions

Oceanside, California, US

Derek Ridgers wrote:
If you can sneak in past security with a decent camera and a long lens, and they don't see you when you're in there, this is a way to do it. 

But it’s often not the ideal perspective.  You really want to be down the front, in the middle.  As Glenn says, you can shoot bands from the stage but this isn’t really the ideal perspective either.  I’ve seen some great shots of Freddie Mercury taken from the back of the stage, so there are exceptions.  In that case you really do want someone who commands a stage like Freddie used to do and not just stand there immobile like some.

At another concert in Tijuana, Mexico, I was given a backstage pass that was only valid when my friends' band was onstage, at which point I was given full access to roam onstage & snap photos of the band, & I got many great ones. Once they were done, I was exiled back into the audience. There was no photographers' pit at this particular venue, & no way in hell was I gonna elbow my way to the front & risk damaging my gear. Nonetheless I still captured many sick shots from afar with my zoom lens.

Jul 05 15 08:02 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Official photographer on the International Space Station.

Jul 06 15 01:55 am Link

Photographer

ValHig

I'd love to shoot McQueen, Elie Saab, Zuhair Murad collections with no restrictions on location or set building etc. Basically I think I want to be Tim Walker when I grow up.

Jul 06 15 04:22 am Link

Photographer

Voy

Phoenix, Arizona, US

My dream job is to be a staff photographer for The New York Times or The Los Angeles Times.

Jul 06 15 08:00 am Link

Photographer

Keith Moody

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Presidential Photographer sounds like an interesting job.  That would be my second choice.

Jul 06 15 11:44 pm Link

Photographer

linelightcolor

Chapel Hill, North Carolina, US

My dream job is to have a patron who gives me a huge budget to create art for the next couple of decades. It'd be nice if the budget contains money for equipment, models, props, travel, and publicity (among other things). More or less what I do now but without the financial constraints and the need to do other things to fund (and repay models for) the best part.

Jul 08 15 08:38 pm Link

Photographer

Jhono Bashian

Cleveland, Ohio, US

I'm living the dream...

Jul 09 15 07:36 am Link

Photographer

PhotoByWayne

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

commissioned travel photographer

Jul 09 15 05:56 pm Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

Traveling Fashion Photographer or Celebrity Photographer

Jul 10 15 06:31 am Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

A-M-P wrote:
Traveling Fashion Photographer

What is that? I've never heard of one.

Jul 10 15 07:53 am Link

Photographer

Eyesso

Orlando, Florida, US

National Geographic

Jul 10 15 09:40 pm Link

Photographer

Derek Ridgers

Dan Howell wrote:

What is that? I've never heard of one.

Norman Parkinson?

Jul 11 15 01:26 am Link

Photographer

Derek Ridgers

A-M-P wrote:
... Celebrity Photographer

Once upon a time that must have been a fabulous job.  Eve Arnold photographing Marilyn Monroe for instance.

But nowadays, as many others on MM may confirm, it’s not a fabulous job at all.  It can mean an endless round of setting up your stuff in hotel rooms and waiting all day for your three allotted minutes.

But it can be much, much worse than that. 

I have a photographer friend who lives here in London.  He got hired to shoot a famous rock band with an iconic female singer.  He was flown out to LA and put up in a plush hotel and asked to be ready to go at a moments notice.  After which the band simply never called him.  They just left him there to stew.  He was there for about a month, in a constant state of nearly readiness.  At the end of the month, my friend virtually had a nervous breakdown.  This whole episode didn’t help his career at all and it took him a while to recover.

This was back in the day when record companies had big budgets.  And this sort of thing wouldn’t happen to today, I don’t suppose.  But other equally crazy things do go on.

I could write a small book on this topic.  Some day I just might.

Jul 11 15 01:44 am Link

Photographer

J E W E T T

al-Marsā, Tunis, Tunisia

Derek Ridgers wrote:
Once upon a time that must have been a fabulous job.  Eve Arnold photographing Marilyn Monroe for instance.

But nowadays, as many others on MM may confirm, it’s not a fabulous job at all.  It can mean an endless round of setting up your stuff in hotel rooms and waiting all day for your three allotted minutes.

But it can be much, much worse than that. 

I have a photographer friend who lives here in London.  He got hired to shoot a famous rock band with an iconic female singer.  He was flown out to LA and put up in a plush hotel and asked to be ready to go at a moments notice.  After which the band simply never called him.  They just left him there to stew.  He was there for about a month, in a constant state of nearly readiness.  At the end of the month, my friend virtually had a nervous breakdown.  This whole episode didn’t help his career at all and it took him a while to recover.

This was back in the day when record companies had big budgets.  And this sort of thing wouldn’t happen to today, I don’t suppose.  But other equally crazy things do go on.

I was supposed to work with the former Prime Minister at the Presidential Palace.  I have worked with several high-ranking officials, but this one was the highest.  They give you a two-day window, and tell you to be ready to shoot on a 1/2 hour notice. 

They didn't call in a couple days, and with no word, I accepted an assignment in Egypt.  They called while I was gone, and were really upset I wasn't waiting for them... LOL.  Well, if they had called in the agreed-upon timeline...

Anyway, I am doing my dream job.  I do have to say, it is seriously fulfilling but also a lot of work.  In the next year, I am negotiating contracts for Turkey, Iran, Cuda, India, and perhaps Algeria.  We'll see what pans out. LOL>

Jul 12 15 09:11 am Link

Photographer

Drew T

Exeter, England, United Kingdom

Derek Ridgers wrote:

Please do!! smile

Jul 12 15 10:30 am Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Derek Ridgers wrote:

Norman Parkinson?

not from what I could tell.

location photographer and traveling photographer are not the same thing. I don't see too many photographers who bounce between markets. Some may service 2 or 3 markets, but I don't see that as a traveling photographer.

Jul 12 15 10:55 am Link

Photographer

Keith Moody

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Also wouldn't mind being a Concert Tour Photographer, hired by one band to photograph their 25 city concert tour.  Not sure what band I'd pick right now but the job sounds fun.

Jul 12 15 10:42 pm Link

Photographer

Derek Ridgers

Dan Howell wrote:
location photographer and traveling photographer are not the same thing.

Agreed but that wasn't the question you asked.

Jul 13 15 02:22 am Link

Photographer

Richard Scudder

Beverly Hills, California, US

Hi, Photographers Forum..
I Guess If I Was From The South I'd Say "Hi all"..
When Was Looking Around The Photography Forums I Discovered This One's Topic ( Whats A Dream Photography Job? )
I Saw Peoples Comments Of Shooting For Top Fashion House Collections, Rock-Star Shoots, Celebrities, And Getting Published, Etc. And I Immediately Said To Myself...  "Thats Easy..Ones That Pay You" Is The Best Dream Shoot. Other Wise It's Not A Dream It's A Nightmare. So Lets All Put The Romantic Side Of Photography Aside For A Little Bit And Get Down To The Brass Tacks. To Be A Photographer First And For-most It Takes Tallent! Sure Many People Can Take A Ok Photograph And who hasn't With A iPhone And Even Take Good Photos Somewhat Consistently With There "Pro Camera" But To Be A Great Photographer That People Will Pay You Takes An Exceptional Talented Photographer!  As Well A Person Who Can Direct And Not Be Intimated By The A Wide Number Of People Who Possible Be Involved Including The Star Your Shooting. So If Someone Is Easily Impressed With "Celebrity" There Going To Be A Bad Photographer Simply Because They Cant Direct And Tell The Star Or So Called Celebrity "No! Don't Do That Do This And I Want You Do It This Way" All At The Same Time keeping A Clear Head Watching The Light Adjusting Your Camera And Watching The Wind Or Background  For People And Things Spoiling Your Frame, Etc. You Get The Idea..   . I Think This Part Is When Many Photographers Develop A Reputation Of Being A Ass-whole When There Simply Taking Charge And Delegating. But Anyways Back to The Topic. I Always Would Tell Friends Getting Into Harvard Is Simple Compared To Becoming A Top Name Photographer. With Big Name Schools Like Harvard It Just Takes Money, Brains And The Ability To Pass Exams.. I Know Im Minimizing Getting In A Just A Little But You Get The Idea. If You Consider The Numbers And I Just Did A Quick Google Check And For Argument Sake There Was 1000 People Graduating From Havard Last Year. Now Consider This...  A Magazine Has One Cover A Month 12 Coves A Year Or Sometimes Less Or A Few More.  Or The Rockstar Pumps Out One New CD Or What Ever Once A Year, Etc. Now If You Go After That Cover Shoot Your Going Against A World Of Competition And I Mean The World! How Many People Are On MM From Around The World Alone Not to Mention AllThe Photographers In NYC, Hollywood, London,Etc.. As I Tell Actor Friends Who Are Going Up For Parts In Movies And Every So On They Get Booked For A Part That They Didn't Originally Read For.. There Are Many Acting Parts And Pay Check Opportunities As An Actor. So Again There Are Options For Additional Pay Checks. But As A Photographer There Is One Person.  And That Photographer Has An Enormous Amount Of Responsibility On Them.  The Jobs Who Are Hiring A Photographer Is For One Reason And One Reason Only And That Is To Get "The Shot" To Promote There Product That They Spend Millions On To Introduce It To The World. Be It A Magazine Cover Image To Grab The Attention Of The World In Hope To Entice You To Pick It Up And Buy It To The Movie Poster To Grab Your Interest And Want To Watch That Movie When At The Box Office With Your Money In Hand. You Get The Idea.... So Many Times If I Read These Forums I See People Talking On The Social Side Or Emotional Side And People Bitch And Moan On Petty Topics That Are Irrelevant When Considering The Point Of The Shoot Is To Get The Shot! A Photo Shoot Isn't Intended To Be Social Party And Selfe Opportunity. I Find That No One Really Talks Hard Ball On The Topic Of The Money, The Reality  And Responsibility Side Of High End Shooting. On My Profile There Is A Photo Of A Group In All White That Include Academy Award Winner Holly Hunter. I Shot That Still For A Tv Show I Was Shooting. Now To The On Looker The Could Say Oh Thats A Nice Photo But The Reality Of The Shoot Was. I Has 3 Minutes To Grab That Shoot Between Movie Camera Reloads. As A Entire Movie Crew Was Watching And Waiting ( Producers, Director, Department Heads ) Around 40 People Watching My Every Move. Now Remember Everyone Is On The Clock ($$$$$$) So That Few Moments Cost The Show At Least $100,000. Of Crew Costs Not To Mention What Those Stars Day Rate Is.. When I Set The Group Up And The Art Department And Director Approved The Way Everyone Was Standing Etc.  The Gaffer Told Me That He Set The Lights For Me. The I Had to Say With Everyone Watching That That Lighting Didn't Work For Me And I Had to Make Some Quick Headed Adjustments And Pul lOut My On Camera Flash To Fill There Eye With A Little "Pop" This Is A Example Of When Someone Who Doesn't Have The Ability To Direct With Out Being Intimidated By Stars Or Celebrity's Will Never Get The Shot And Waist Lots Of People Time And Money.  Additionally To Complete The Shot Holly Hunter Was Holding A Photograph With A Reflective Glass Sheet On The Front And That Image Has To Appear Crisp And Clean With Out Reflecting The Flash back Into My Camera And Set The Shot So I Didn't Appear In The Glass Like A Mirror Would.  Shortly After And Not Even Ten Minuets Latter My Shot Was Being Downloaded And Printed For Use On The Same Production Day On Camera As Part Of The Story Line.. So The Point Is That It All Comes Down To Money. It Cost Money To Buy Camera Money To Cover Location Fee's Money To Pay Printers To Print Magazines Money To Pay The Company To Press Albums And The Center Of It All Excusing The Talent Were Shooting Is The Photographer ( The Camera Is The Buddah ) As I Always Say And Cash Is King! So First Having The Talent To Take World Class Images That Meet The Expectations Of Extremely Demanding And Talented Individuals Who Are Relying On The Photographers Talent To Help Them Is One Thing.  The Second Is Getting Those Jobs That Pay You And Delivering Images Worth Paying For.
So I Answer The Question Of The Best Dream Job Photoshoot Is Simply Anyone Who Pays You! 
( As A Qualifier To My Rant I Have Been Shooting Full Time For 30 Years. Everything From The Top Ten Designers, The Worlds Biggest Rock Stars, The Academy Awards, Of Course Movie Stars And TV Stars - I Shoot Stills For Prime Time Shows And Feature Motion Pictures, I Appear On TV Programs With My Camera In Hand Such As Americas Next Top Model. My Work In Print ( Published ) Everyday Someplace In The World For Over 25 Years. And I Literally Have Over Three Thousand Shoots To My Credit. Side Note To The Haters Out There Turn On The TV And Watch Me On Top Model Or Go To The News Stand And Pick Up This Months Issue Of Smithsonian Magazine (Sept 2015) I Have A Full Page In It Page #8 And The Outside Back Cover Of Smithsonian's Air & Space Magazine ( Sept 2015 ) Both Are Promoting My Gallery Serigraphs Art. Smithsonian Is One Of The Largest Magazines In The World With A Readership Of 25 Million +/= 
No One Really Talks The Hard Truth On These Forums.
I Love Photography And Cameras But We Need Money To Live And Eat To..
(So Again The Best Dream Shoots Are The Are Ones That Pay You )  -Richard Scudder-

Aug 29 15 11:07 am Link

Photographer

63fotos

Flagstaff, Arizona, US

Wildlife Photographer

Aug 29 15 11:27 am Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

Being able to function within the New York fashion market while living in Southern California - dreams don't have to be realistic. More and more I just don't like the So Cal fashion (glamory) asthetic.

Aug 29 15 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

Renato Alberto

San Francisco, California, US

TenBee Photography wrote:
Wildlife Photographer

I agree. That would be my dream job too! I love parties!!!!!!

Aug 29 15 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

Steinberg Photo

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Peter House wrote:
I want to be the rockstar photographer who experiences the highest success and then it all spirals out of control and ends up with an E! True Hollywood Story.

I'd prefer to be the "photographer of Rockstars" (and other musicians). What I can't figure out is why most of them still employ the ancient "3 songs and your out" rule. Since they make most of their money from concerts, you'd figure they would want as much coverage as they could get.

Sep 02 15 08:20 pm Link

Photographer

Noncho

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

Concerts/Wildlife/Nature photographer smile

Sep 03 15 01:16 am Link

Photographer

Phil_Fernandez

Santa Clarita, California, US

shooting campaigns for Gucci, Armani, Dolce Gabbana, and other high end designers.

Sep 03 15 01:53 am Link