Forums > Critique > Colors, 18+

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/38896051 18+

I'm kind of liking this direction. Reactions will be most welcome.

Jul 09 15 05:28 pm Link

Photographer

kinda blurry

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

You've already got a  strong personal style going on with the ring flash and high key treatment, not to mention idiosyncratic models (just the few others I saw there) but I commend you for going out on a limb with something different.  The graphic treatment gives the images an interesting Mondrian or Jigsaw feel.
Have you thought about breaking up the model by offsetting the coloured blocks slightly to create a fractured mosaic?
For this particular image the only jarring note is the purple block which is so dark it almost reads like a censors black-out block. Maybe allow a little more transparency all over to tweak the balance between the image and the graphic overlay? 
Overall I'm intrigued and hope you keep working the theme.

Jul 09 15 06:50 pm Link

Model

Model Jill

Scranton, Pennsylvania, US

It evokes a Piet Mondrian painting. I f-ing dig it dude.

Jul 09 15 07:46 pm Link

Photographer

J_Barbara

Miami, Florida, US

Take my opinion with a grain of salt. Not a pro.  I like the idea a lot.  It bothers me that the red box (2nd from the top on the right) cuts her face right under her lip. I would have done it below her chin.  As previously stated by someone else the purple box is a little to dark and it bothers me that it cuts her quite close to her labia.  I would have done it a little lower on the thighs.

Again just my 2 cents.

Jul 09 15 07:52 pm Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

Certainly has a 60's mod feel to it  .  .  . 

https://rlv.zcache.com/mondrian_minimalist_de_stijl_art_custom_ipad_case-r85f1f3a6da944fce92e47343b5db653a_id92e_8byvr_398.jpg

.  .  .  always enjoy your "experiments"  .  .  .  yet another success!!!!

SOS

Jul 10 15 07:05 am Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

sospix wrote:

https://rlv.zcache.com/mondrian_minimalist_de_stijl_art_custom_ipad_case-r85f1f3a6da944fce92e47343b5db653a_id92e_8byvr_398.jpg

SOS

Model Jill wrote:
It evokes a Piet Mondrian painting. I f-ing dig it dude.

kinda blurry wrote:
The graphic treatment gives the images an interesting Mondrian or Jigsaw feel.

I offered this one to a collector https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/38805149 18+, and his reply was "Ah, the ghost of Mondrian!" Bleh!

This will eventually become a three dimensional piece.

Thank you for the input, guys. Very much appreciated.

Jul 10 15 08:23 am Link

Model

Model Jill

Jorge Kreimer wrote:

sospix wrote:

SOS

I offered this one to a collector https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/38805149 18+, and his reply was "Ah, the ghost of Mondrian!" Bleh!

This will eventually become a three dimensional piece.

Thank you for the input, guys. Very much appreciated.

So many influential artists of that period. Charles and Ray Eames, Neutra, etc. none of them Bleh in my opinion. I loved the piece. Don't change a thing. Also a big fan. But I am a strict modernist so I suppose I have a slant. It is a homage to all the greats. I even feel a little Kubrick in there. 2001 a space odyssey.

Jul 10 15 05:05 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

The theme from the Partridge Family comes to mind!:-) this one is actually cool!

Jul 10 15 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

Model Jill wrote:

So many influential artists of that period. Charles and Ray Eames, Neutra, etc. none of them Bleh in my opinion. I loved the piece. Don't change a thing. Also a big fan. But I am a strict modernist so I suppose I have a slant. It is a homage to all the greats. I even feel a little Kubrick in there. 2001 a space odyssey.

Don't misunderstand me, I love modernism. I don't like it when my work is influenced, even if unconsciously (though there's no avoiding that), that's all.

Thank you for your kind words.

Jul 10 15 05:44 pm Link

Model

Model Jill

Jorge Kreimer wrote:

Don't misunderstand me, I love modernism. I don't like it when my work is influenced, even if unconsciously (though there's no avoiding that), that's all.

Thank you for your kind words.

Jorge, you are one of a kind.

Jul 10 15 05:48 pm Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

Model Jill wrote:
Jorge, you are one of a kind.

I'd rather steal from Mondrian, than be influenced by him. wink

Just added to the series: http://www.gershonkreimer.com/colors#no4

Jul 10 15 06:35 pm Link

Photographer

Eyesso

Orlando, Florida, US

I think it's awesome.  Iconic.

Jul 10 15 09:39 pm Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

Eyesso wrote:
I think it's awesome.  Iconic.

Awesome? Iconic?

IT'S MONUMENTAL! IT'S EPOCHAL! smile

Jul 10 15 11:53 pm Link

Photographer

Kris Krieg

Missoula, Montana, US

Just added to the series: http://www.gershonkreimer.com/colors#no4

This shot has a more mature style to it than the blown out "Bleh" shot. The richness of colors is attractive. Plus I get less of a Mondrian feel and more of your own voice. Intriguing experimental process.

Jul 20 15 06:30 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

I think I would like it in person. I don't like it on the screen. You're going three different directions with your experimenting, and I think this is the least suitable of the three for you.

Not my least favorite. For what it's worth, it's my second favorite, behind the distortions. But you're a very talented photographer, and this particular experiment does not show that. The image is made or broken on the graphical qualities, and the quality of your photography comes a very distant second place. To be honest, you could be a shitty photographer, and these images could still look awesome. I think you're better than that.

If you decide to pursue this,the first thing I would do is put the other experiments on the back burner. Then, I would spend a lot of time thinking about exactly which colours to use. If you use a more transparent screen, your image shows through better. Maybe do that, or just do some panels like that. Maybe print them on separate wrapped canvases, and hang them to create this image. I hate canvas prints, but it seems like a good use for them.

I also noticed that some of the colours seemed to fluctuate and flicker on my tablet, but not on my desktop. I'm sure this is due to the smaller colour space of the tablet, and the distance from my face. If you could recreate this is person, that could be really interesting.

I'll post my response on the distortions in a minute. But for now, my response to this one is that it's a really interesting idea, and I really like the chances you're taking, but you have other, potentially better ideas.

Jul 20 15 08:21 pm Link

Photographer

Biggs

Sheffield, England, United Kingdom

I find the colours too strong for the delicate images underneath. Somehow, the surface abstraction and the photo need to be more in balance and blended rather than one laid over the other. I also don't think you're getting the weight of the colour volumes right but I see a lot of potential.

Carry on experimenting. Interesting.

Jul 21 15 07:55 am Link

Photographer

JAE

West Chester, Pennsylvania, US

The purple is too dark and the red cutting above her chin looks odd.  I like the idea, but I think it needs a few minor tweaks with which colors you chose and their placement.

Jul 21 15 08:18 am Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

Zack Zoll wrote:
To be honest, you could be a shitty photographer, and these images could still look awesome. I think you're better than that.

Thank you for your kind words, Zack. However, I disagree with you that this could work with any photo, and quality does not matter. A bad photo will always be a bad photo.

Jul 21 15 10:42 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

A bad photo will always be a bad photo, yes. But if you'll allow me an analogy, the very graphic nature of this image means that the photo itself is essentially the icing on the cake. Using a bad photo doesn't affect whether or not the image grabs your attention from across the room, any more than having your name spelled wrong on a birthday cake makes it taste worse.

The icing would have to be really, really bad to make the cake itself taste bad. Since you don't make really, really bad photos, the quality of the photos themselves become somewhat irrelevant. It might be the difference between whether or not someone buys the print, but they've already decided if it interests them or not by the time they're close enough to examine it.

I don't see this as a Mondrian, though I certainly see your other image that way.

What you essentially have is a modern art painting, with a photograph hidden underneath it as a bonus.

Jul 22 15 05:39 am Link

Retoucher

Pall Kris Design

Bucharest, Bucharest, Romania

@Jorge
I don't know where you got the inspiration, I just like the first image you posted.

Jul 22 15 05:54 am Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

Zack Zoll wrote:
What you essentially have is a modern art painting, with a photograph hidden underneath it as a bonus.

I should charge more, then? wink

Jul 23 15 11:34 am Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Yeah, you could probably get away with that in LA.

Jul 23 15 04:07 pm Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

Zack Zoll wrote:
Yeah, you could probably get away with that in LA.

https://scontent-lax1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xat1/t31.0-8/11779954_729061827222863_1982648839240879124_o.jpg

Colors 7
80" x 60"

Jul 24 15 07:06 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

So on a personal level, I really like Rothko and Malevich, and some of the simpler stuff by Albers and Klee. But that stuff is hand-painted, even if they used masking tape to make the lines sharp. It doesn't matter online, but in person there is a very different feel to that than a print.

On a professional level, you could totally sell a print of that. Print it on a giant canvas wrapped with a 3" edge, or on textured watercolour paper in a white frame spaced away from the glass, and it'll move if the price is right and it's in the right gallery.

Unfortunately, it'll cost you about a grand to find out ... so, maybe not a good investment. Especially not since you could almost paint one for real at that cost.

Jul 24 15 08:52 pm Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

Zack Zoll wrote:
So on a personal level, I really like Rothko and Malevich, and some of the simpler stuff by Albers and Klee. But that stuff is hand-painted, even if they used masking tape to make the lines sharp. It doesn't matter online, but in person there is a very different feel to that than a print.

Unfortunately, it'll cost you about a grand to find out ... so, maybe not a good investment. Especially not since you could almost paint one for real at that cost.

Painting has been dead for years.

Jul 25 15 12:34 am Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Nah. It's perfectly alive and well, particularly as an investment to collectors wink

Jul 25 15 05:24 am Link

Photographer

F O R B E S

New York, New York, US

not really my cup of tea. Its cool that you experiment with different things though.

Jul 25 15 07:19 pm Link

Photographer

Gianantonio

Turin, Piemonte, Italy

If at first you don't succeed, put colored rectangles over it...

Jul 26 15 04:57 am Link

Photographer

Rik Williams

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Gianantonio wrote:
If at first you don't succeed, put colored rectangles over it...

Man, that's some negative shit right there.

Jul 27 15 07:15 am Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

Rik Williams wrote:
Man, that's some negative shit right there.

Yeah, I have a stalker. This guy likes to show up in my threads.

Jul 27 15 08:50 am Link

Photographer

Michael McGowan

Tucson, Arizona, US

If you don't like the art comparison, just think of it as color-blocking, the fairly recent fashion fad.

Jul 27 15 09:19 am Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

wink Two nude women:

https://40.media.tumblr.com/cc757f495b9a7244fdd69221ad4d7d70/tumblr_nsd9mvKDpV1rqii1eo1_1280.jpg

Colors 8
(Nude Woman)
80" x 60"

http://www.gershonkreimer.com/colors#no5 18+

Jul 31 15 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

Bureau Form Guild

I was inspired by Jorge and did a Mondrian!

Aug 13 15 03:59 pm Link