Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Upcoming Q Tarantino movie !

Photographer

Bobby C

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

!!!
https://www.superste.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/7882faad-1c50-4e2a-b005-b0e51c821e04.png

"...
"The Hateful Eight"
cast including Samuel L Jackson, Kurt Russell, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Walton Goggins, Demian Bichir, Tim Roth, Michael Madsen and Bruce Dern.
... the film's premise (a bunch of 19th century bounty hunters, criminals and scoundrels take refuge in a stagecoach stopover during a massive blizzard)
...70 MM release
...the lenses they needed to shoot in what was called Panivision Ultra (70 MM) are the same ones used for "Ben Hur," "Mutiny on the Bounty" and "It's A Mad, Mad World."
... The legendary Ennio Morricone will compose the score for "Eight" and it will be his first Western in 40 years. That's a big deal people."
https://www.yahoo.com/tv/s/five-takeawa … 00846.html

Jul 11 15 06:40 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

This is awesome news. I love me some Westerns, and I love me some Tarantino. Except Django, oddly enough. Go figure.

But I'm obviously in the minority, so I have high hopes!

Jul 11 15 08:29 pm Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

Looking forward to seeing it,
disappointed it's not called Reservoir Cattle Rustlers.

Jul 11 15 09:16 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

ennio can still see stave paper? holy crap. i thought he'd be like 100 by now. tarantino has always used morricone (past) gems in his flicks, so it stands to reason that he'd use him for an original score.

i like watching most of tarantino's flicks. i have passed on some, but he generally crafts a very watchable flick. it is kind of sad that he never really got any better than jackie brown. django unchained had its moments, but i don't go into screenings of his flicks like i used to. pulp fiction was one of the best flicks of the '90s, if not the best.

he is a great writer, though; and definitely knows how to tip his cap to his influences.

Jul 11 15 10:12 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Los Angeles, California, US

Ennio Morricone  was upset with Quinton after Unchained...and said he would never work with Quinton again....WELL i guess money talks..Here comes Ennio doing another flic for him...the good folks at Film Score Monthly...are betting Ennio will get mad and walk off...lol

I believe that Ron Howard's Over Bloated, Over Director, Every Cliche of Ireland including Potatoes, Over Acting, Under Script, Even John Williams(the best Composer Ever) Score was BLOATED....Far and Away was the last film shot on 70mm. Why?? I don't know.

Jul 11 15 10:48 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

DOUGLASFOTOS wrote:
Even John Williams(the best Composer Ever) Score was BLOATED....Far and Away was the last film shot on 70mm. Why?? I don't know.

re: point a: you're on crack. tongue

re: point b: it's obvious. 70mm died when it began. it was overkill then, and it's dated now. 

the best 'film' composer ever was bernard herrman. a close second was ennio. but that was when he could still write good scores. by the time he did (mailed in) the score for the clint secret service flick (i forget the name), it was obvious his skills had diminished.

every time i run into a 'supposed' morricone fan, the first thing i hit them up with is; "cinema paradiso, or a fistful of dollars?" those that answer cinema paradiso are summarily dispatched. smile

Jul 11 15 11:07 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

GK photo wrote:

re: point a: you're on crack. tongue

re: point b: it's obvious. 70mm died when it began. it was overkill then, and it's dated now. 

the best 'film' composer ever was bernard herrman. a close second was ennio. but that was when he could still write good scores. by the time he did (mailed in) the score for the clint secret service flick (i forget the name), it was obvious his skills had diminished.

NO...your on Crack...lol     John Williams. No one comes close. John Barry Second, Jerry Goldsmith 3rd.

Jul 11 15 11:10 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

DOUGLASFOTOS wrote:
NO...your on Crack...lol     John Williams. No one comes close. John Barry Second, Jerry Goldsmith 3rd.

dude, you need to do your homework. take chinatown out of the mix, and what does jerry goldsmith have left? tongue

google bernard hermann. or alex north. i still see movies (today) where their themes are blatantly copied.

and the only john williams i consider talented is the guitarist. smile and he did a great score for "the deer hunter."

i will hear people claiming danny effing elfman is the best film composer they've heard. at that point, i run. tongue oh, and there was this guy named mancini who wrote a score or two in his day, that still live one, many years later.

Jul 11 15 11:13 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

GK photo wrote:

dude, you need to do your homework. take chinatown out of the mix, and what does jerry goldsmith have left? tongue

google bernard hermann. or alex north. i still see movies (today) where their themes are blatantly copied.

and the only john williams i consider talented is the guitarist. smile and he did a great score for "the deer hunter."

Jerry Goldsmith...The Omen, Star Trek, Under Fire, Patton, Hoosiers, Alien, Poltergeist, The Wind and the Lion,

Not John Williams the Composer had zero to do with The Deer Hunter...Michael Camino wanted Williams to composer, but Williams was busy with Superman, The Fury, Black Sunday.

Jul 11 15 11:26 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

DOUGLASFOTOS wrote:
Jerry Goldsmith...The Omen, Star Trek, Under Fire, Patton, Hoosiers, Alien, Poltergeist, The Wind and the Lion,

Not John Williams the Composer had zero to do with The Deer Hunter...Michael Camino wanted Williams to composer, but Williams was busy with Superman, The Fury, Black Sunday.

i'm talking about john williams--the guitarist--who played all the guitar on "the deer hunter" soundtrack. different dude.

and those other goldsmith scores are not memorable. the only one that still has any legs is chinatown...which is a masterpiece.

Jul 11 15 11:28 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

GK photo wrote:

i'm talking about john williams--the guitarist--who played all the guitar on "the deer hunter" soundtrack. different dude.

and those other goldsmith scores are not memorable. the only one that still has any legs was chinatown...which is a masterpiece.

I know your talking about john williams dat guitar player..who didn't score nothing for the deer hunter,but rather played john williams the british guitar player...

"Cavatina" is a 1970 classical guitar piece by Stanley Myers and best remembered as the theme from The Deer Hunter.

Jul 11 15 11:33 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

DOUGLASFOTOS wrote:
I know your talking about john williams dat guitar player..who didn't score nothing for the deer hunter,but rather played john williams the british guitar player...

"Cavatina" is a 1970 classical guitar piece by Stanley Myers and best remembered as the theme from The Deer Hunter.

there you go. google is a good thing. smile we'll just agree to disagree, as to great film composers. if you aren't familiar with either hermann, or north, do yourself a favor, and look up their resumes. hermann is still the king, despite what the williams fans will tell you. and ennio is a close second. he has a longer list of credits, but hermann was the shit.

and i'm sure john williams is a great guy, but i can't watch any of the flicks that he is (has been) involved with. i get enough torture from every day life.

i did see jaws as a kid.

Jul 11 15 11:42 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I lost interest in this guy's movies somewhere around the time of the last Kill Bill

A Good Current Western to catch is Slow West in my opinion

Jul 11 15 11:49 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Garry k wrote:
I lost interest in this guy's movies somewhere around the time of the last Kill Bill

A Good Current Western to catch is Slow West in my opinion

django unchained had its moments, but his best work is definitely years removed. i still say jackie brown was qt's second best movie, but that's me. i never quite fell for reservoir dogs. yeah, it was funny, brutal, visceral; but pulp fiction, and jb were great stories.

did you ever see "the claim"? it was a western based on hardy's 'the mayor of casterbridge." it's older now, but was a great western.

Jul 11 15 11:55 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

GK photo wrote:
django unchained had its moments, but his best work is definitely years removed. i still say jackie brown was qt's second best movie, but that's me. i never quite fell for reservoir dogs. yeah, it was funny, brutal, visceral; but pulp fiction, and jb were great stories.

Quinton used Jerry Goldsmith's Music from Under Fire in Django Unchained. Nicaragua Theme.

https://youtu.be/u9a8HwoMEGY

Jul 11 15 11:57 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

DOUGLASFOTOS wrote:

Quinton used Jerry Goldsmith's Music from Under Fire in Django Unchained. Nicaragua Theme.

https://youtu.be/u9a8HwoMEGY

and he also used jim croce's "i've got a name" to great effect. i had my guitar sitting next to me, and started playing it as it was playing (on blu ray, at home) with my son sitting there. he was like, "how do you know that?" smile

and qt has always incorporated many other soundtracks into his films. you know who wrote the "whistling tune" from kill bill, right?

Jul 12 15 12:04 am Link

Photographer

GK photo

and here's qt using ennio (who's channeling herrmann) from kill bill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RX_mU36qqw

qt is very adept at taking existing work, and transforming it into his vision. it's too bad he never got a composer who could make his soundtracks original. but i don't think he gives a flying eff.

Jul 12 15 12:37 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Love his shit.

I thought I hated Kill Bill for some stupid reason years ago. I watched it with my boyfriend a month ago and it is one of the best movies I've seen in a while. Pulp Fiction is still my favorite from him but that was damn good.

Jul 12 15 07:34 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

GK photo wrote:
and here's qt using ennio (who's channeling herrmann) from kill bill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RX_mU36qqw

qt is very adept at taking existing work, and transforming it into his vision. it's too bad he never got a composer who could make his soundtracks original. but i don't think he gives a flying eff.

Dude...he's the guy at the video store in the 90's that knows every fucking movie there and will talk your head off about it. I love the way he thinks and sees.

Jul 12 15 07:35 am Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

I just want to chime in on the 70mm thing.

It's actually better now than it was forty years ago. It's even more expensive, but it's better.

Right now, the highest resolution any of us can see without having incredibly deep pockets is 4K. 6K, if we watch it on our computers. At that resolution, 70mm is indeed more than the consumer can view at home. But the alternative to film is to use a digital capture, which at Tarantino's budget would presumably be 8K, or perhaps even more. That means that he has the choice between shooting film and getting 'the film look', or shooting digitally, and having the option to release the movie again in future formats, with an increase in quality that actually makes it worth buying again.

Shooting 70mm, he gets to have it both ways.

Until recently, 70mm only had advantages in theatres - and even then, only in higher-end theatres.

Tarantino is getting older, and I think he's starting to think about what sort of legacy he's leaving behind. Between this and Inglourous Basterds, and Django to a lesser extent, he seems to be making movies not just because they're good movies, but because he wants them to live on after he's gone.

I think he's trying to make a foul-mouthed, ultra-violent 2001.

Jul 12 15 08:58 am Link

Photographer

Bobby C

Zack Zoll wrote:
I just want to chime in on the 70mm thing. .

"...And so much about the creation of The Hateful Eight feels like it's about Tarantino reveling in the nostalgia of classic cinema. Not only is he shooting it in 70mm, he's shooting it in Ultra Panavision, a super-wide format that only ten other films have used — most of which are 1960s classics. It's the same format that was used to shoot Ben Hur, and you can really feel Tarantino's excitement when he says, "It's not that they used these same type of lenses on Ben Hur. They used these lenses on Ben Hur. They only made one set of them."

While the decision to use 70mm Ultra Panavision seems to be heavily rooted in these throwbacks, Tarantino doesn't intend to use the format quite like anyone else. The Hateful Eight takes place largely inside of one small building, the super-wide shots allowing you to see distinct frames of action on either side of the main subject. "I'm looking forward to my movie breaking that notion that 70mm is for travelogues. 'It's to shoot Lawrence of Arabia, desertscapes and mountainscapes.' No. When you shoot 70mm indoors it's more intimate. More vivid and vital. It's not just for shooting scenery. It's for shooting great drama."
,,,"
https://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/NxTv9lrmHpLnytcBIqITeStEpfI=/600x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/3864712/THEHATEFUL8-TEASER-POSTER.0.jpg
http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/11/89349 … c-con-2015

Jul 12 15 10:45 am Link

Photographer

r T p

GK photo wrote:
it is kind of sad that he never really got any better than jackie brown. .

d
itto

Jul 12 15 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Zack Zoll wrote:
I just want to chime in on the 70mm thing.

It's actually better now than it was forty years ago. It's even more expensive, but it's better.

Right now, the highest resolution any of us can see without having incredibly deep pockets is 4K. 6K, if we watch it on our computers. At that resolution, 70mm is indeed more than the consumer can view at home. But the alternative to film is to use a digital capture, which at Tarantino's budget would presumably be 8K, or perhaps even more. That means that he has the choice between shooting film and getting 'the film look', or shooting digitally, and having the option to release the movie again in future formats, with an increase in quality that actually makes it worth buying again.

Shooting 70mm, he gets to have it both ways.

Until recently, 70mm only had advantages in theatres - and even then, only in higher-end theatres.

Tarantino is getting older, and I think he's starting to think about what sort of legacy he's leaving behind. Between this and Inglourous Basterds, and Django to a lesser extent, he seems to be making movies not just because they're good movies, but because he wants them to live on after he's gone.

I think he's trying to make a foul-mouthed, ultra-violent 2001.

What I hear....Since The Hateful 4 x 2 is being shot on 70mm. There is only 25 Movie Houses  that can handle 70mm...including in LA..it will be released on Dec. 25...To get the Academy Members Attention and Critics. Then will be world wide release on Jan. 15 2016, in Digital Form.

But Remember during that same time...Disney has this lil known Star Wars Flic...that will get all the attention.

Jul 12 15 05:46 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Model Sarah wrote:

Dude...he's the guy at the video store in the 90's that knows every fucking movie there and will talk your head off about it. I love the way he thinks and sees.

i believe he actually was that guy, before getting any work. anyone who knows his style can instantly see his main influence(s). he's probably the biggest sergio leone fan, making movies.

on further contemplation (today), i don't want to make it seem that he's making bad films. he certainly isn't. i just thought that after pf, and jb, he would have had a better effort in him. kill bill (both) had their moments, but they don't resonate like his first three flicks. i never saw death proof. i have seen both ib, and du.

they are very well done, but if anything, are a more sideways move from the first three.

the skill he has at setting up a one liner, or some preposterous ending to a scene (or theme) are second to none. he truly is a cinema guy, and shows it. he abandons 95% of the standard movie making/writing conventions, and that's why i particularly like his style.

and there are always one or two incredible scenes in every flick he makes.

ib=the bar scene with the germans
kb=the buried alive scene/the final showdown scene with thurman and carradine
du=the entire last act

i don't know what i'd like out of him at this point. i'll know it when i see it. smile

Jul 12 15 10:53 pm Link

Photographer

Tony From Syracuse

Syracuse, New York, US

I see and love every tarantino movie that comes out and they are all excellent....but personally I dont like period pieces..I like movies that are set in todays era.

I also agree about the german pub scene in inglorious.  . I have always loved WW2 german/allied cat and mouse games where germans are trying to ferret out spys. that scene was spellbinding.  how such a simple thing outed the english spy.
one of his best scenes

also.....I wish george lucas had done the same thing with his prequels and filmed them with the same technology he filmed the initial 3....it would have preserved the look and soul of the original 3. instead he went waaay too modern and CGI and they became cartoons where I think the originals have a sense of realness the prequels lack.

Jul 13 15 05:17 am Link

Photographer

37photog

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

GK photo wrote:
there you go. google is a good thing. smile

I'll tell you an even better thing about Google. There's a bridge near where I grew up where decades ago, probably in the 70s someone spray painted "Bernard Hermann Lives".  Growing up, we never really knew what it meant.  Still don't, as it's an odd term to write about a musical composer, but I never heard any stories to it being meant for a local teen who died, so I don't know.  Anyway, if you try searching for a bar Magerks in Fort Washington, PA you should see a railroad train bridge. If you google street view up to it, on your left hand side you can still see the faded graffiti. I don't know if pasting the Google Maps URLs works, but I tried below.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.122225, … !1e1?hl=en

Back OT, I'm def excited for this. I'd like to see Tarantino do another gangster movie, a la Pulp Fiction or Reservior Dogs, but I like nearly all his movies. Wasn't a big Kill Bill fan tho.  Anyway, I think he's great & glad I lived thru his era of film making. Pulp Fiction was epic.

Jul 14 15 06:54 am Link

Photographer

Bobby C

The Hateful Eight Comic Con Panel - Quentin Tarantino, Kurt Russell, Jennifer Jason Leigh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgwtHOwcpLc

Jul 14 15 11:29 am Link