Boudoir Studio

Santa Clarita, California, US

https://fstoppers.com/editorial/model-m … ally-76106

Just saw a mention on Fstoppers....

Jul 14 15 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

It is not possible to search the talent on that site without first being a member and it is not possible to be a member without being invited.

Being invited requires an applicant to supply links to a website/s that the High Priests of Portbox consider sufficiently worthy.

Overall, far too many hoops to jump through before you even get to see whether the site is sufficiently well populated to know if it is worthwhile joining.

Wish them luck because I am pretty sure that they are going to need it.

Jul 15 15 05:32 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Snyder Studios wrote:
https://fstoppers.com/editorial/model-m … ally-76106

Just saw a mention on Fstoppers....

This is so overwhelming...

I am member on:

Model Mayhem
Model Desire
Model Society
LinkedIn
The Fashion Spot
Models.com
Model-Kartei.de
ArtSlant
Saatchi
Ello
ArtProfiles
NewFaces

Facebook
Tumblr
Twitter
Instagram (inactive)

I know I forgot a few ones, so... thank you so much! Now I can finally add another profile to my collection of unused profiles... evilgrin

Jul 15 15 05:55 am Link

Photographer

Managing Light

Salem, Virginia, US

Udor, you're a marketing madman.

I suggest you sign up for the site and then tell the rest of us whether it's worthwhile or not.  smile

Jul 15 15 08:47 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Managing Light wrote:
Udor, you're a marketing madman.

I suggest you sign up for the site and then tell the rest of us whether it's worthwhile or not.  smile

I wish, I actually suck at marketing and am rather lazy and unorganized in that department!!!

I signed up... and only the bolded ones are the ones I am actually active on... the rest are all pretty much dormant, where I am getting the occasional "Hey you haven't been here for a while, please sign in and see what's new!" email... LOL

MM and FB are what's working for me... and if models.com would still have forums... I'd be there 90% of the time... but... well... they don't... smile

Jul 15 15 09:54 am Link

Photographer

Gregory Thelen

Concord, California, US

<You're awesome!
Thank you for requesting access to Portbox; you're on our waitlist.
We're currently in beta and invite-only; invitation codes are limited.
All applications & portfolios must be reviewed first. We may contact you for verification and/or additional details. Your portfolio must show a strong focus in fashion/glamour/commerical modeling photography, to be selected for the beta program.
Thank You,
Portbox Team>

Interesting. I didn't see a single thing about the above in the sign-up.
"Your portfolio must show a strong focus in fashion/glamour/commerical modeling photography, to be selected for the beta program."

And commercial is spelled wrong.

Jul 15 15 10:06 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Gregory Thelen wrote:
"Your portfolio must show a strong focus in fashion/glamour/commerical modeling photography, to be selected for the beta program."

And commercial is spelled wrong.

Duh!!!

This is how you spell comical: c.o.m.i.c.a.l. ...     evilgrin

Any website like that needs to have a lot of talent to be able to compete... until they are big enough... they still won't be a competitor to MM...

Jul 15 15 10:13 am Link

Photographer

barepixels

San Diego, California, US

Blah

It's nothing if it does not have a strong members base.  Nothing worse then search for models within 50 miles from me and get zero or 1 results.  MM still dominate

I will recap.   It is not MM Competition unless or until they have a huge members base.  The article title  "Model Mayhem Has Some Competition – Finally!"  is false.  For now anyway.

Jul 15 15 10:16 am Link

Photographer

Gregory Thelen

Concord, California, US

I know some won't bother because of the signup process etc.
But I am curious about member list, who is booking, how deep is the member list for my area.
It's their prerogative to be selective as they want.
The only way to find out is apply.

I feel for Udor.
I, too, belong to so many sites that I forgot most of them because they have no activity or models in my area.

Jul 15 15 10:33 am Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'm sorry but the article is not well written..fairly biased writing, not very objective POV. No outline of features, no ability to browse, no idea where their talent is represented and listed, no outline of real results, just a shitty screenshot of the lackluster layout and plenty of airbrushed glamor babes on the front page..

There are better sites, better constructed layouts with more features. They all end up derelict after the hype wears off. You need an IB budget to keep an asset like this afloat, I feel.

from this i feel l like the author had his MM account rejected, or had a lack luster experience with it. lol

author on fstoppers wrote:
"Only time will tell if Portbox will be able to find its place in our community, but I for one am ecstatic at the possibility of a better alternative to like sites that I hate but can't stay away from."

Jul 15 15 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

udor wrote:
This is so overwhelming...

I am member on:

Model Mayhem
Model Desire
Model Society
LinkedIn
The Fashion Spot
Models.com
Model-Kartei.de
ArtSlant
Saatchi
Ello
ArtProfiles
NewFaces

Facebook
Tumblr
Twitter
Instagram (inactive)

I know I forgot a few ones, so... thank you so much! Now I can finally add another profile to my collection of unused profiles... evilgrin

I sign up for a lot of these sites, just to reserve my name, so no one else can create a profile under that name.

P.S. I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with screening individuals for a modeling site - ostensibly helps keep it from becoming a model mayhem. But of course the membership will by necessity be significantly smaller.

Jul 15 15 04:35 pm Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

London, England, United Kingdom

I don't normally sign up to things like this straight away, the ones I do tend to flitter into oblivion, so I guess now I've signed up it will be that sites' kiss of doom!

I've been on the Net since the mid nineties so get lots of sign up offers.

This does however seem interesting since one of the biggest problems photographers complain about here is the lax vetting process and dead profiles that never get deleted.

I'm in the UK and it appears that Purpleport has taken MMs crown over here already.

Jul 16 15 01:38 am Link

Model

Figures Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Hi,

When I tried to sign up it said only people with a referral can get a free membership, then it also said I am on a waitlist and then it gave me a referral link for other people and said I would get referral credit for people who use it.

So it looks like a game. You need a referral to sign up but, you get a referral and credit instead if other people use yours.

?

Here is the referral link it gave me to share, while I am on the waitlist, if anyone wants to see what it grants them:

"Get early access by inviting more of your friends. You'll get referral credit! So, the more friends you invite, the sooner you'll get access"

http://l.aunch.us/05xhK

Jen

Jul 16 15 03:20 am Link

Photographer

JAE

West Chester, Pennsylvania, US

Seems a bit complicated to get signed up.  I am guessing most people won't bother, so if I do get a profile then there won't be many people there.  I will pass unless something changes.

Jul 16 15 04:45 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

I have heard this pitch before
All BS

Jul 16 15 07:35 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Okay... so... I am in... one more internet portal I have in my collection...

Uploaded 30 images... then was reduced to 7 images, I had to upload again... right now, you can only upload images one by one...

Made a model search for my town... and there are only two models in the entire area signed up yet...

I guess I am checking back in a year, to see what's doing...   evilgrin

Jul 17 15 08:00 am Link