Forums > Photography Talk > For photographers that work on RAID 1 drives...

Photographer

Carson S

Birmingham, Alabama, US

What is your experience with them? Have you noticed a decrease in performance when processing because the drives are mirroring?

Jul 15 15 07:44 pm Link

Photographer

DespayreFX

Delta, British Columbia, Canada

This would be totally dependent on your configuration and hardware.

On the high end, if you're running a NAS box with fibreconnects, not a chance.

On the low end, if you're running an old PC with "RAID" built into the motherboard, with some 7200RPM WD drives... ya, you probably are. Even then, they are a lot better than they used to be, and a small performance hit may be worth giving up, instead of giving up your images because of a, far too common, failed drive.

Jul 15 15 07:51 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

A lot would be dependent upon whether it's hardware (controller - that is writing twice the information in parallel) or RAID implemented in software.

Jul 15 15 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

J-PhotoArt

San Francisco, California, US

Carson S wrote:
What is your experience with them? Have you noticed a decrease in performance when processing because the drives are mirroring?

A lot will be dependent upon whether you using hardware or software for the control of the raid and the access speed (write / write) of the drives.  I personally prefer hardware control of the RAID 1 as I have found it to work much better in the applications that I have used it in.

What I like about RAID 1 is the disk mirroring or duplexing as it is also called, in that any read request can be handled by any drive in the set thereby decreasing access times and improving performance. The speed of the read / write operations is limited to the speed of the slowest dive in the set so I always use the exact same drive in my sets.

I think the most important advantage of using RAID 1, is that in the case of a drive failure, the array or set of drives continue to function as long as at least one drive in the array is still operating.

I am getting ready to purchase the Western Digital My Book Duo 8TB to store my images on my home network:

http://www.amazon.com/Book-dual-drive-h … KRXT2SFHKX

I already own two each 4TB  Western Digital My Book external drives.  Once every a week, I will copy all my data to one of these drives and take it off site for storage.  I will be rotating the 2 drives being stored off site as well.

Jul 15 15 08:18 pm Link

Photographer

Carson S

Birmingham, Alabama, US

My current setup involves an external 2 TB WD passport with USB 3.0 that contains all of my images and catalogs that is retrieved by Lightroom. I have not noticed a difference in performance compared to when my files were stored directly on my computer, so I am thinking about switching to a WD My Book Duo instead to provide an additional layer of protection.

Jul 15 15 08:20 pm Link

Photographer

Carson S

Birmingham, Alabama, US

J-PhotoArt wrote:

A lot will be dependent upon whether you using hardware or software for the control of the raid and the access speed (write / write) of the drives.  I personally prefer hardware control of the RAID 1 as I have found it to work much better in the applications that I have used it in.

What I like about RAID 1 is the disk mirroring or duplexing as it is also called, in that any read request can be handled by any drive in the set thereby decreasing access times and improving performance. The speed of the read / write operations is limited to the speed of the slowest dive in the set so I always use the exact same drive in my sets.

I think the most important advantage of using RAID 1, is that in the case of a drive failure, the array or set of drives continue to function as long as at least one drive in the array is still operating.

I am getting ready to purchase the Western Digital My Book Duo 8TB to store my images on my home network:

http://www.amazon.com/Book-dual-drive-h … KRXT2SFHKX

I already own two each 4TB  Western Digital My Book external drives.  Once every a week, I will copy all my data to one of these drives and take it off site for storage.  I will be rotating the 2 drives being stored off site as well.

That is exactly the same situation I am currently in, which led me to consider the My Book Duo as well smile

Jul 15 15 08:21 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I'm running a RAID 1 system with 4TB drives via USB 3.0 and it runs great. I see no significant slow-down at all when processing images due to drive speed issues. It's a nice, easy way to make sure everything is always backed up...cheap too!

Jul 15 15 09:53 pm Link

Photographer

Carson S

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Shot By Adam wrote:
I'm running a RAID 1 system with 4TB drives via USB 3.0 and it runs great. I see no significant slow-down at all when processing images due to drive speed issues. It's a nice, easy way to make sure everything is always backed up...cheap too!

Cool! Thanks, Adam smile

Jul 15 15 10:44 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

we just bought a WD MyCloud Mirror at best buy which has 2 2TB drives in raid 1 configuration. so far it seems like a nice unit. you can view the temperature among other things. i bought the extended warranty because in the past i've had trouble with the raid controller dying on units like this.

don't know about performance yet with aperture or photoshop.

i've seen a few units specifically mention 7200. so i guess 5400 is the norm?

Jul 16 15 11:07 am Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

I shoot into this on virtually all of my studio projects and some of my location projects. You can configure it with SSD which should have very fast performance. I have 500gig SATAs currently and have been more than satisfied with the performance.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control … ;A=details

Jul 16 15 11:41 am Link

Photographer

Managing Light

Salem, Virginia, US

ontherocks wrote:
we just bought a WD MyCloud Mirror at best buy which has 2 2TB drives in raid 1 configuration. so far it seems like a nice unit. you can view the temperature among other things. i bought the extended warranty because in the past i've had trouble with the raid controller dying on units like this.

The controller dying is a very disturbing failure mode.  When that happened, did the hard disks get damaged?  Were you able to recover the data?

Jul 16 15 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

it was a maxtor product. they said the data was unrecoverable but offered to send me a new one. which promptly failed the same way!

but i also had one for my mac (lacie i think) that worked fine.

people might think RAID is bulletproof but not if it's the controller that fails (versus one of the drives). so i think regular backups are still a good idea even if you have mirrored raid.

Managing Light wrote:
The controller dying is a very disturbing failure mode.  When that happened, did the hard disks get damaged?  Were you able to recover the data?

Jul 17 15 01:34 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

ontherocks wrote:
people might think RAID is bulletproof but not if it's the controller that fails (versus one of the drives). so i think regular backups are still a good idea even if you have mirrored raid.

I agree entirely.

For some years, I used a RAID 1 set-up, thinking that I was properly protected, until I discovered that one disc, while still perfectly sound, had stopped mirroring several months earlier.

These days, I rely on Time Machine for hourly back-ups, Super Duper for 12-hourly back-ups (to two separate drives, each drive being updated once a day), and also back-up each shoot to blu-ray discs.  That may sound like overkill, but, without going into the horror stories that have happened to me over the last 20 years, I can assure you that it is just enough to do the job.

Jul 17 15 03:45 pm Link

Photographer

PhotoCognoscente

Arlington, Texas, US

If you accidentally or otherwise delete a file on a raid drive, it will delete both copies.

Raid is for high availability in case of drive failure, not human error, viruses etc.  use a backup program to copy to a second location

Jul 24 15 08:52 pm Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

dmtxphoto wrote:
Raid 1 is for high availability in case of drive failure, not human error, viruses etc.  use a backup program to copy to a second location

fixedit4ya smile
there are many different types of RAID and as many different implementations of each.  the concept was invented with the cost of storing data was much higher (relatively) and the possibility of failure much more prevalent.  things still fail but its much more likely that you replace your server  or upgrade to a larger disk before your drive fails. 
I do an incremental backup the night after every shoot or editing sesh.  I dont delete off the card until data has been stored on the drive and backed up twice (as a minimum).  theres a RAID controller on the mobo for my desktop. I dont use it.  id rather use drives as discrete separate physical devices that can be taken offline or offsite as required.

Jul 25 15 05:54 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

I have a Sagar laptop that has three drives inside it.  One is a RAID 1 run by an Intel Controller.

However, with my "just wunerful" (NOT!) Windows 8.0>8.1 it's pretty much a non-working redundant mess since last summer when MS pulled some funky auto-update that trashed a lot of computers so they are no longer able to update - like mine - before they discovered the mess and pulled it a few hours after the damage had been done.  So the backup was hosed as well and it remains so.  I won't go into their crack MS support and why they want me to buy a second key for 8.1 ($100) when I already bought the 8.0 key and disk to begin with.  Have to wipe it all and start from scratch, so I'll wait and buy 10 or 10.1 or 10.2 in a few months for $199 on the USB thumbdrive and install without the need to install 8.0, then download 8.1 and all the patches, and then download 10 and let it and whatever is left over in 8.1 try and play nice together instead of the patched up mess I have now.  No doubt it's free for the first year as an upgrade, and may as well call it the released beta with perhaps some bugs that will become 10.1 in a year needing a "new key for $$$" (Seriously MS?).

I think the better route is to keep your backup far away from being inside your computer as with the RAID 1 I have now.  If Windows 10 is supposedly doing auto-updates without you having a say in it, then no doubt some driver may no longer play nice after some auto-update and your system will be like mine where the RAID gets the bad update as well and maybe backing it up before you find out something has gone seriously wrong.

Imho, of course.

Jul 25 15 07:33 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

and of course without offsite/online backup everything can be gone if there's some kind of disaster. for weddings i am very nervous until i have copies both on-site and off-site and we stick the original CF cards in a waterproof/fireproof safe.

for my iMac i've been testing:
https://www.prosofteng.com/databackup3/

and it seems like it can handle some backup chores. we generally run our aperture libraries on external disks , not on the local hard drive so i don't think time machine can help us.

Rob Photosby wrote:
These days, I rely on Time Machine for hourly back-ups, Super Duper for 12-hourly back-ups (to two separate drives, each drive being updated once a day), and also back-up each shoot to blu-ray discs.  That may sound like overkill, but, without going into the horror stories that have happened to me over the last 20 years, I can assure you that it is just enough to do the job.

Jul 29 15 01:24 pm Link