Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > So, is the Apple watch still a thing?

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I have not been following the market success of Apples newest iDevice. I know I don't have one, none of my friends have one, and I've only seen a handful of them on the street. Is it still a must-have sort of thing, or is it dying on the vine??

I've no plans to get a gen 1 apple product, and don't see how this thing would fit into my life.

Jul 19 15 06:51 am Link

Photographer

Evan Hiltunen

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

It seems that the initial excitement has not led to a strongly performing product. It's just not a product that most people feel a need for and Apple failed to turn it into a "must have" status object (creating a status object is really the soul of Apple).

There are concerns that Apple is drifting away from one of their core attributes, which is: so simple to use that a child or a grandmother would find the interface intuitive and easy. That has been a great approach for Apple. Their products do what they are supposed to do and the consumer doesn't (can't) modify it.

Of course, let's be realistic, lol, if your Apple product doesn't do something, you don't need to do it in the first place.

Jul 19 15 07:19 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Yes, it seems that initial response to the Apple Watch has been tepid.  But there are some reasons for that, like short battery life & limited applications & cost -- these limitations can be addressed.  So, maybe it'll fade away, or maybe the Watch 2.0 or 3.0 will hit the mark well enough for it to take off.

We'll see.

(I don't have a watch, a smartphone, or anything else of that ilk, so I am not the target audience -- what do I know).

Jul 19 15 07:55 am Link

Photographer

Llobet Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

I happened to see the watch last week at Grand Central Station in NYC.  It looks nice but I personally don't see a use for it.
I was told by one of their sales people that it doesn't have internet connectivity yet but you can get IM messages.  I feel the screen is too small to do much with it.  FYI, I don't own any Apple products.

Link to a picture I took of them in a showcase...
https://instagram.com/p/5P__AJq7-C/?tak … uemoonpics

Jul 19 15 08:00 am Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

I personally don't see what I would use one for.

---   Apple Watch demand 'tepid' at 4M shipped units
http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/07/ … mand-tepid

Apple Watch sales plunge 90 percent: Is the smartwatch a flop, already?
http://tech.firstpost.com/news-analysis … 74342.html

Analyst: Apple Watch selling worse than thought
http://americasmarkets.usatoday.com/201 … n-thought/

Sales of the gadget have fallen by 90% since April
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ … laims.html

Apple Watch Sales: 8 Million Or 40 Million? Guesses Are All Over The Place
http://marketingland.com/apple-watch-sa … ace-131151
       "expanded availability"   =  WalMart,  Best Buy?       Rite-Aid?   Family Dollar?

Survey Suggests Apple Doesn’t Even Know What Apple Watch Owners Use It For
http://marketingland.com/in-very-unjobs … ers-129334

Bubbling Burns and Annoying Rashes Plague Some Apple Watch Users
http://www.digitaltrends.com/wearables/ … ns-rashes/

Jul 19 15 08:21 am Link

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hard to say how successful it has been. Wearables are still a weird market. They're definitely niche. There are alot of people (like me) who have no interest in wearing a watch or bracelet or anything like that. The market for phones and tablets and such is definitely bigger than the market for premium wearables.

That said.. The apple watch, compared to other smart watches (Samsung gear, android wear, etc) has been selling very well. Last year Samsung gear devices sold 1.2 million units. Pebble watches were around 1 million from 2013 through the end of 2014. Some estimates for *total* wrist wearable sales across all brands (including Fitbit) are only 4 million or so units.  Estimates for Apple watch sales since launch through end of June (basically 3 months of sales) are somewhere in the 3 to 4 million units. Conservative estimates for sales through the end of the year are north of 10 million.

So.. Compared to something like the iPhone which has ridiculous sales figures every year, yes. The apple watch can't compare. But then again.. Why would it? Compared to the rest of the smart watch/wearable market apple watch is doing very well. Will it continue to do so? God only knows. This is a very risky product for Apple. It could certainly flop. But it's not going to have much of an effect on their bottom line if it does. I suspect that the sales figures will reach a steady state of sorts. Especially when the new version of the OS releases later this year with native app support.

Time will tell.

Jul 19 15 08:29 am Link

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

https://cdn01.androidauthority.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Statista-smartwatch-sales-estimate.jpg

This shows the top sellers of smart wearables selling 4.8 million units *in all of 2014*

So while apples sales may be tepid by analysts standards.. Comparatively they're doing gangbusters.

Jul 19 15 08:37 am Link

Photographer

Evan Hiltunen

Apple has a great product development scheme:

Let others innovate. Take what others have developed, polish, put it in a quality package, charge a premium price (and foster a status image), and create excitement/marketing. Become recognized as a trendsetter.

So, did they fail to polish properly? Is the quality not there? Fail to exploit the potential market? Or, is there really not a smart watch market to properly exploit?

Jul 19 15 09:56 am Link

Photographer

What Fun Productions

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I believe by the 3rd or 4th generation, the Apple watch will be quite amazing.

Jul 19 15 10:47 am Link

Photographer

The Spaces Between

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Apple is amazing at hype and convincing its own fanboys/girls to buy anything they put out.  TO that effect, they sold a decent number, but maybe we are finally seeing the limits of the Apple koolaid, in that it's still a limited product with very little features to offer outside of smartphones.

Jul 19 15 11:15 am Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Go into any apple store and you'll see for yourself. The only section where nobody is looking at a device is the table with the watches. It's pretty funny actually.

Jul 19 15 11:21 am Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Shot By Adam wrote:
Go into any apple store and you'll see for yourself. The only section where nobody is looking at a device is the table with the watches. It's pretty funny actually.

The watch is EXTREMELY expensive for what it is.

Instead of comparing the sales to iPads or MacBook, it should be compared to Movado or Rolex.

I suspect that they may push it for one more year, and then just let it simmer like they did with AppleTV.  Apple TV is actually a great product that does essentially what a Fire Stick does or Chrome stick does for 3-4 times the price.  But it does it very well.

So like a BMW or a Porsche, most people can't justify having one when there are other options that are much more sensible.

I personally don't think that Apple thought that they would sell 20 million of them.  Until they can produce them for the sweetspot price ($200) for this type of product, it will remain a niche product.

Jul 19 15 11:31 am Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Good Egg Productions wrote:

Everything Apple does is extremely expensive for what it does but that doesn't stop them from having an army of fanboys who lap up everything they put out. I remember buying a laptop years ago and when I was walking out of the store, box in hand, I stopped by the Apple kiosk and saw a laptop that was 100% identical to the one I was buying, even down to the brand of memory, brand and type of graphic card, etc. It was literally the identical computer except the one I was getting had 2 more USB 2.0 slots and there were the differences of logos. Other than that, the same computer. The Apple was over $1,200 more. So basically people who are buying that computer like their operating system so much they are willing to spend over a thousand dollars on it. I just had to chuckle.

Jul 19 15 11:56 am Link

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Evan Hiltunen wrote:
Apple has a great product development scheme:

Let others innovate. Take what others have developed, polish, put it in a quality package, charge a premium price (and foster a status image), and create excitement/marketing. Become recognized as a trendsetter.

So, did they fail to polish properly? Is the quality not there? Fail to exploit the potential market? Or, is there really not a smart watch market to properly exploit?

In 3 months they sold what the *entire market* sold the previous year.  What, exactly, have they failed to do?

Jul 19 15 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I suspect that they may push it for one more year, and then just let it simmer like they did with AppleTV.  Apple TV is actually a great product that does essentially what a Fire Stick does or Chrome stick does for 3-4 times the price.  But it does it very well.

Except it's only 2.3 times the price of the chrome.. not 3-4 times.  And it does many things that the chromecast can't do (specifically work without an android device for its remote).  It's only 1.75 times more expensive than the Amazon Fire stick.

Yes.. more expensive.. but in many cases more features (especially when compared to the chromecast.. the fire stick is a little more feature-laden and also supports games.. something I really wonder why the Apple TV doesn't do).    For $69 (vs $29 or $39) it's a really great device.. an extra $30 or $40 for the extra features is well worth it for me.

Jul 19 15 12:11 pm Link

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Instead of comparing the sales to iPads or MacBook, it should be compared to Movado or Rolex.

Watches, in general, are very expensive.  I paid $8000 for a Breitling watch for a gift once.  It's a really beautiful watch to be sure (if you like watches).  But basically all it does is tell time and have a stopwatch and tell the date. Sure it will last decades.  But I could buy an a new  apple watch (even one of the middling priced $700 ones) every 2 years for 20 years and still not reach the price I paid for the Breitling.

My Dad's Rolex is something like 40 years old.  Still works like a charm.  But servicing it and replacing the crystal costs more than twice the price of an apple watch.

All that goes to say that you can't really compare such things on "dollars per feature" alone.. though people seem intent on doing so.

Jul 19 15 12:23 pm Link

Photographer

Keith Moody

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I haven't worn a watch in 35 years.  Do people still wear watches?

Jul 19 15 12:27 pm Link

Photographer

Hank Shiffman

Mountain View, California, US

No one knows how well the Apple Watch is selling, beyond the fact that it's outsold all the other smart watches on the market combined.  Apple isn't saying, which is a decision they announced before the watch was released.  And those who are saying  are basing their claims on weak data and crazy levels of extrapolation.  As the old saying goes, those who know aren't saying and those who are saying don't know.

I've had mine almost since they came out and like it a lot.  I made my decision based on two main factors: how it looks as a piece of jewelry (I got the stainless steel model, even though it cost double the price of the Sport model with identical capabilities); and how it acts as a filter for my phone.  A friend was an early purchaser of the Pebble; seeing how it reduced the number of times a day he had to pull his phone out convinced me that this was the biggest benefit of the watch.  And so it has been, although I like the exercise features and the way it makes Apple Pay even easier than using my phone.  But that's me.

The watch is a nice v.1 product, one that will likely be more interesting when the new OS and native apps arrive this fall.  But in the meantime, I'm very happy with my purchase.  It looks good, works pretty well and will only get better.  Kind of like the rest of my Apple gear.

Jul 19 15 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Phoenix Digital Image wrote:
I haven't worn a watch in 35 years.  Do people still wear watches?

I'm in the same boat.. though it's been something like 20-25 for me. Prior to the advent of "smart" watches but after the advent of cell phones I sorta figured watches were more of an affectation than anything else... a piece of jewelry.  But zillions of people still love their watches.. and some will pay many thousands for one (though most will spend far less).  My dad loved his Rolex.. my mom loves hers too.  My business partner has a collection of fine watches that is worth more than a luxury car.

I don't know what the first "smart" watch was (aside from the casio calulator watch I had in the early 80s.. complete with fun numbers game!).. but the fitness band craze certainly has energized the market.  Then we got the "phone connectivity" watches like the Pebble (a real success story by any measure) and here we are. 

Will the market last? Certainly.  People show no sign of giving up their watches and the smart watches are getting better every generation.  Will apple continue to have a huge market share in watches? Almost certainly not.  But it's certainly possible for them to sell enough to make continued manufacture worth it -- if only to have a toe in the market.

Jul 19 15 12:43 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

It's kind of ironic really - Apple has launched a product in support of a somewhat outdated paradigm (wearing a watch), that they themselves participated in dismantling with their portable technology (that does something) like the smart phone.

Jul 19 15 12:51 pm Link

Model

HighMind9

Jacksonville, Florida, US

I have a Samsung gear watch but only because I received it as a gift. I would never purchase such a thing. It's pretty neat if I'm on the go I can answer calls without taking my phone out of my satchel. I can also snap pics on the go and it is perfectly square ala instagram. I think the watch takes better pictures than my S5 but I haven't been too impressed with the S5 overall.

Jul 19 15 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

Evan Hiltunen

Wye wrote:

In 3 months they sold what the *entire market* sold the previous year.  What, exactly, have they failed to do?

Ummm, they failed to develop and produce a "must have" item, failed to change the market landscape to Apple Territory, etc.

For an Apple product the whole thing has been very disappointing.

Jul 19 15 03:22 pm Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Evan Hiltunen wrote:
Ummm, they failed to develop and produce a "must have" item, failed to change the market landscape to Apple Territory, etc.

Just wait until the iToilet comes out. You'll wonder how you ever managed to survive without it!

Jul 19 15 03:44 pm Link

Photographer

Evan Hiltunen

Lightcraft Studio wrote:

Just wait until the iToilet comes out. You'll wonder how you ever managed to survive without it!

Yep, by the time Apple gets through with "the toilet experience" our current setups will seem like an old Turkish prison hole in the floor by comparison.

Hope they hurry up!

Jul 19 15 03:52 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I saw that B&H developed a custom app for the iWatch. I guess because it's too hard to buy products from B&H on an iPad or iPhone? That's just what I need, a watch that will order a 300 f2.8 for me if I leave it accidentally unlocked when I reach In my pocket for my keys...

Jul 19 15 04:04 pm Link

Photographer

What Fun Productions

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Evan Hiltunen wrote:

For an Apple product the whole thing has been very disappointing.

You have stated that Apple failed to develop a "must have" item... Can you show another company that has developed a "must have" product in any category? I have been thinking about it and I can not really think of one?

Go Pro cameras comes to mind... Did you know that Apple sold more Apple watches in 3 months than Go Pro sold cameras in all of 2014?

You set a very high bar for Apple. Not sure they will ever have another success like the iPod, iTunes, iPhone or iPad. In my opinion, it will probably be smaller markets that generate profit. Apple Music, Apple Pay and Apple Watches are examples.

Apple reports quarterly numbers this week. Lets see if investors agree with your assessment.

Jul 19 15 04:07 pm Link

Photographer

Evan Hiltunen

What Fun Productions wrote:

You have stated that Apple failed to develop a "must have" item... Can you show another company that has developed a "must have" product in any category? I have been thinking about it and I can not really think of one?

Go Pro cameras comes to mind... Did you know that Apple sold more Apple watches in 3 months than Go Pro sold cameras in all of 2014?

You set a very high bar for Apple. Not sure they will ever have another success like the iPod, iTunes, iPhone or iPad. In my opinion, it will probably be smaller markets that generate profit. Apple Music, Apple Pay and Apple Watches are examples.

Apple reports quarterly numbers this week. Lets see if investors agree with your assessment.

I haven't set the bar high for Apple. Apple set the bar high and good for them.

I'm sure they will do just fine.

Jul 19 15 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Refrigerators.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/cf/Monitor_refer.jpg

Jul 19 15 04:39 pm Link

Photographer

Evan Hiltunen

Lightcraft Studio wrote:

Refrigerators.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/cf/Monitor_refer.jpg

In 2018 Apple released the iFridge which was considered by many to be the very first cold storage unit EVER!

Steve Jobs was hailed as a genius for this break-thru that would change the course of peoplekind.

Jul 19 15 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Evan Hiltunen wrote:
In 2018 Apple released the iFridge which was considered by many to be the very first cold storage unit EVER!

Steve Jobs was hailed as a genius for this break-thru that would change the course of peoplekind.

That wouldn't surprise me!

The iFridge probably only works if it's hooked up to the iTunes store, and you have to purchase a monthly iCool plan to keep it running.

Jul 19 15 04:47 pm Link

Photographer

Evan Hiltunen

Lightcraft Studio wrote:

That wouldn't surprise me!

The iFridge probably only works if it's hooked up to the iTunes store, and you have to purchase a monthly iCool plan to keep it running.

True to the above, but many will laud the clean, simple design and, to be fair, it should hold up reasonably well (and it better for the price).

Jul 19 15 04:53 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

None of this seems to matter, really.

Apple is on track to make $53 billion this year.  That's profit, kids.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/07/17/technol … ings-2015/

The Apple Watch could be a dismal failure and they could just move on to the next thing.  But I suspect that they won't.  In terms of sales, I'm seeing between 2 and 4 million already.  If it's 4 million, that's more than all ALL other smartwatches sold in 2014.  I wouldn't call that a total failure, but certainly not the explosion of the iPad when it hit the streets.

So whether the watch sells or not, Apple share holders are going to be just fine.

Jul 19 15 05:01 pm Link

Photographer

Evan Hiltunen

None of this seems to matter, really.

Apple is on track to make $53 billion this year.  That's profit, kids.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/07/17/technol … ings-2015/

The Apple Watch could be a dismal failure and they could just move on to the next thing.  But I suspect that they won't.  In terms of sales, I'm seeing between 2 and 4 million already.  If it's 4 million, that's more than all ALL other smartwatches sold in 2014.  I wouldn't call that a total failure, but certainly not the explosion of the iPad when it hit the streets.

So whether the watch sells or not, Apple share holders are going to be just fine.

Wait a second ... I thought us sensitive types were against huge, monolithic corporations crushing humanity.

Remember? Big business bad. Right?

In all seriousness, Apple, of course, will move onto something else. Somewhere, there is somebody, some company, that is creating something of value, but they don't have the wherewithal to really get it out there. Apple, in their wisdom, will swoop in and, ummmm, errr, innovate it and once again be hailed for their contributions.

I happen to think highly of Apple. Their whole approach, their rapaciousness, makes the Robber Barons look like toddlers.

Jul 19 15 05:17 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I wasn't asking about Apple's ability to innovate or their market position. I was asking for people's candid opinion of how relevant/widespread the Apple iWatch has been since introduction. We have had one or two threads dedicated to discussing Apple as a company. No need to relive old arguments. Please keep comments iWatch related.

Jul 19 15 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

Evan Hiltunen

Generally, the iWatch is a failure. Function-wise, market-development-wise, and overall product-wise.

Jul 19 15 06:34 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

GoPro has something like a 92% market share, and Sony is the only competitor with more than a 1% share. Apple has never had that level of dominance, even with iPods. Those were something like an 80% share. It's about 92% now, but it doesn't matter anymore - there are very few markets where people that wanted music on their phone wouldn't spend that couple hundred on a better phone. IPod's main competition is Android phones with memory card slots. That's the main reason why I use Android. That and NFC.

The Apple smartwatch is a doomed product. No matter how well it sells for how long, it will eventually go away. Think about the target market: tech nerds that want to impress people or have the coolest gadget.

Let's break that down. Tech nerds. These guys are going to want the newest, best tech as soon as it's available. By definition, the smartwatch can never be as powerful as a phone. Even if it had the same battery,processor, and abilities, it still sits on your wrist. That means it has a small screen that is harder to navigate, harder to type with, and nearly impossible to play any game more complicated than Tetris. Since those guys are after high tech, they will ALWAYS have something more powerful in their pocket. The only way the watch can survive indefinitely(at a large scale) is if it gets a hologramatic display like in some newer cars - something to fix the screen size issue.

Now the other issue: bling. I'm not a rich guy, but I love watches. If I see somebody with an Omega or a Rolex, or even a really nicely maintained Hamilton, I appreciate that, and will say so. Watches are classy.

A smart watch is not classy. It's not low-class either, but it's not classy. It's a modern-eay calculator watch, worn mostly by the same people. It's a thing you wear to use- not a piece of jewelry.

There are only a few affordable smart watches I've seen that get the point.

People that still wear reasonably priced watches do it because they want to know what time it is without using their phone. Or in some cases, because they always wore a watch, and it's just a thing that they do. They also use watches because even though many of them have batteries, they only need to address that once a year, at most. They just always work.

I have three watches I regularly wear. I wear a Citizen Eco-drive almost every day, because it is self-charging. I've had it for a decade, and it died on me once, in the middle of the winter. I switched to a UV light in my office, and it hasn't died since. Every morning I put it on, and the time is perfect.

I also have a few antique watches I wear to special events. Again, no battery issues. I wind it and set the time, and I'm good all night and most of the next day.

The only smart watches that have any permanent staying power are the ones that address the reasons why people still wear watches in the first place. There are a few companies that make analog smart watches; either the top half is a normal watch, or there is a normal watch with a 'smart' overlay. Most of these watches only receive texts, emails, and notifications, and some allow you to respond by voice. But the really important aspect is that if the battery for the smart bit goes, it's still a perfectly good analog watch. Some of them are even designed so if that happens, the watch just looks like a watch - you can't even see that there is a missing section.

THOSE are the watches that will continue to sell, albeit in much smaller numbers. Those products address the people that are already wearing watches, and give them something extra for their money.

Apple,Moto,and most other smart watches are doomed to fail because their business model involves convincing the same people that they talked out of watches to go back to wearing them again. It's the same reason why Fuji can still sell new 120 film cameras, but CaNikon would fail massively if they tried to mass-produce a brand-new 35mm camera.

Most people don't even know Fuji still makes 120 cameras, but they do, and they sell. The reason is that those cameras address an existing customer, rather than trying to conjure one up from thin air.

Cool new products only sell for as long as they are cool and new.

Jul 19 15 07:31 pm Link

Photographer

joeyk

Seminole, Florida, US

I believe by the 3rd or 4th generation, the Apple watch will be quite amazing.

If I'm the customer, and I have LOTS of Apple stuff, in order for the watch to be useful to me, it has to replace my smartphone, ( or do Everything it does ) and that destroys Apple...

Jul 19 15 07:40 pm Link

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Evan Hiltunen wrote:
Generally, the iWatch is a failure. Function-wise, market-development-wise, and overall product-wise.

If 4 million units in 3 months is a failure then imagine how the other 10 vendors feel that they only managed to sell that many all together in a year!

Any one of them could only dream of such a failure.

Jul 19 15 08:20 pm Link

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

joeyk wrote:

If I'm the customer, and I have LOTS of Apple stuff, in order for the watch to be useful to me, it has to replace my smartphone, ( or do Everything it does ) and that destroys Apple...

Why would you expect a watch to replace a phone?

And if it did why would that destroy apple? They'd just be replacing one product with another.

Jul 19 15 08:21 pm Link

Photographer

Tony From Syracuse

Syracuse, New York, US

I just got done reading a book about steve jobs.....geez you know I really knew nothing much about him except I considered him a innovator of technology...but ....whoa....as a person...if the book can be believed, that guy was a major league A-hole.

Jul 19 15 08:46 pm Link