Forums > Photography Talk > How to inject more artsy feeling into a photograph

Photographer

Sausage69

Singapore, Singapore, Singapore

I'm interested in knowing because most of my photos end up just looking like snapshots.
Even with controlled lighting, they come across as contrived and clinically posed.

I know being exposed to more work like music videos and exhibitions would go towards developing this sense in you, but generally, is there any other way to develop it?

For example, photos like this :

https://pxhst.co/avaxhome/5a/53/0010535a_medium.jpeg

Any ideas where they get inspiration for things like this from?

Jul 20 15 02:47 am Link

Photographer

J E W E T T

al-Marsā, Tunis, Tunisia

Get models that can emote.

Jul 20 15 03:14 am Link

Photographer

Virtual Studio

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Go to the Art (like paintings from the past) section of your local library - start looking through things people have done in the past. It will whack your composition skills through the roof.

Singapore has a decent contemporary art scene http://theculturetrip.com/asia/singapor … singapore/ - visit - participate. Talk to local artists and learn what they are trying to say.

Jul 20 15 05:10 am Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Sausage69 wrote:
...my photos end up just looking like snapshots...

What separates compelling imagery from "snapshots"?  Basically a strong visual illusion of three dimensional space... photographs are two dimensional therefore through the use of perspective inducing compositional elements they have the ability to transcend into a graphic illusion which conveys three dimensional space...

What are the primary compositional elements to achieve this?
Converging parallels... The Last Supper is a late 15th-century mural painting by Leonardo da Vinci in the refectory of the Convent of Santa Maria delle Grazie is a sterling example... As Virtual Studio suggests, study the works of the great masters... they got it right...
S-Curves This classic compositional element is oft found in advertising art...
Diagonal lines Rising diagonals convey a feeling of movement and are oft used to draw a viewer's eye into an image...

These are but a few of over a dozen compositional elements commonly used to create a 3D illusion...

That said, the "Elements of Art" are classically defined as components of a work of art that can be isolated and defined. Typical enumerations are
Line
Shape and form
Space
Color
Texture

Each and every one of these parameters are complex and oft require diligent study to master... As an honor student have you considered a class in art theory? While it might not be biology it may serve your photographic endeavors well...

Sausage69 wrote:
...Even with controlled lighting, they come across as contrived and clinically posed...

As the creative in responsible charge on a project it is your responsibility to direct naive talent effectively.  Yes the easy answer is Casting for tenured thespians who can emote and assume whatever persona the narrative calls for...  Where to find? Agency talent works well here...

Sausage69 wrote:
I know being exposed to more work like music videos and exhibitions would go towards developing this sense in you, but generally, is there any other way to develop it?

Joe McNally's first job in photography was with a newspaper... After weeks of frustrating results Joe asked the senior editor "How can I do more interesting photos" the reply which he has followed ever since... Get yourself in front of more interesting subjects...  Just a thought...

Sausage69 wrote:

Actually I find this gifted artist image to be rather inspirational... Kudos to the entire team here...

Best advice? Assist top commercial shooters in your market... This has been my path and I've benefited immensely from the aforementioned...

final thoughts? patience grasshopper... 

Hope this helps...
All the best on your journey...

Jul 20 15 07:26 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

J E W E T T wrote:

I agree with this.

Also, find a stylist and good MUAH person too, and let them interject some of their own ideas too.  Too much of your own self-direction becomes posed, imho.

As to the emote part, I've always thought that a really good model was born that way.  I have two nieces who went to the big-dollar modeling schools and while that helped their poise and self-confidence, it may have only boosted their on-camera skills 10%.  They were never 90% going in, maybe 30% on a good day, so what they got out of the school and its classes still would not make them 100%.

I've maybe had three that were stand-outs in 50 years, and initial meeting was like "No way will this turn out any good."  However, and for whatever odd reason, I feel I could have left the set and let the camera run on its intervalometer and all shots would have turned out great.  They are just in another league.  One of the MUAH's I work with out of LA told me on a recent fashion shoot with 10 pro agency models she had to make-up, only one stood so far out ahead of the others which make the client blow up and chew out the others "To do what Mary is doing, damn it!" - and they never got it down to whatever she was bringing or doing either, no matter how much the lady went off yelling at them.

And don't try an copy what others do.  Too much becomes a cliche or a rut.  Even watching music videos got to be boring enough with so many cliches that VH1 and MTV dropped the music video scene from their 24/7 format.

Good luck!

Jul 20 15 07:46 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I'd feel more comfortable if this was in the Critique forum.  I can't roll up my sleeve & let loose, so I'll just offer a couple of generic advice:

...  Look for unusual angles & perspective.
...  Step back & play with composition.
...  Break the rules (e.g. use long exposure).
...  Find unusual or difficult lighting.

Good luck.

Jul 20 15 07:47 am Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Los Angeles, California, US

Sausage69 wrote:
I'm interested in knowing because most of my photos end up just looking like snapshots.
Even with controlled lighting, they come across as contrived and clinically posed.

It begins and ends with your own noggin.

Jul 20 15 08:06 am Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Sausage69 wrote:

It begins and ends with your own noggin.

Jul 20 15 08:06 am Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

You need to have vision. When you have that, the technical details are just... that. The vision is where the art comes from. Essentially vision is like, mission objectives of the image. What are you trying to say ? What are you trying to convey? How can you use the techniques you know to do that, or do you have to learn more to do it?

It helps of course, to have a good model, a good list of resources like a set designer, a clothing designer.. but you don't need all that. Work within your vision.

Like this is an example of having vision:
Have an idea of the ideal image in your mind, as unrealistic as you can imagine. Perhaps there is a geyser of soda in the background, and the model is drinking a coca cola bottle. The focus is on her eyes reflected in the coca cola bottle. She's smiling, looking directly at the camera. She's pushing a hot dog cart with coca cola written on the side. There is an asteroid crashing in the ocean behind her.

--- maybe a bit like something you would see out of this guy's portfolio, actually: https://www.modelmayhem.com/99

But that is one example of having a lot of vision

Jul 20 15 08:15 am Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Virtual Studio wrote:
Go to the Art (like paintings from the past) section of your local library - start looking through things people have done in the past. It will whack your composition skills through the roof.

Singapore has a decent contemporary art scene http://theculturetrip.com/asia/singapor … singapore/ - visit - participate. Talk to local artists and learn what they are trying to say.

/thread

Jul 20 15 03:11 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

I agree with Looknsee, this is better addressed in Critique.

Art is art, you cannot "inject" it.

If what you are doing now is not working, don't do that.

Jul 20 15 03:30 pm Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Solas wrote:
You need to have vision.

I've been lucky enough to hold some seminars in the past with photographers.  I've always brought that up.  I don't care if you stand on your head to create a shot.  You have to know what you want "usually" before getting there.

For me?  It's a preconceived idea of what I want, and widdle away to get to that end point.

Jul 20 15 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

A vision, Collaboration with the right model, being on the same page emotionally and creatively with your model. Art comes from within deep in conscience and emotion and personal style.
Yes you can fake it with post editing filters and magic tricks but it's not the same and lacks a true footing to last beyond the initial satisfaction.

Jul 20 15 05:15 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Art comes from within. No one can tell YOU how to create art.

Unless you are cynical and shallow, then just underexpose and keep key elements in soft focus.

Jul 20 15 05:19 pm Link

Photographer

Sausage69

Singapore, Singapore, Singapore

Thank you for all the suggestions. I agree that having a powerful idea (from a vivid imagination) is a first step, thing is this is not something I have inherently due to the way I have been brought up, the things I studied, and so on. The internet has helped greatly in giving exposure to works from around the world though; 20 years ago who would have guessed this exposure would be available on-demand.

I've seen a lot of nice artsy ideas here on MM, but many of them while having great concepts are spoiled for me because of the lighting. Many of them have this HDR-like look. I'm right now very much influenced by the Japanese style where many prefer to use natural light or very subdued controlled lighting, while adding interest with props or set design.

Some examples here:
http://sumida340.blog.fc2.com/
http://yasphoto.blog111.fc2.com/

I really admire these guys, and even met the second guy at an event, although I couldn't really understand where he draws inspiration from as I can't speak the language very well.

Also heard that understanding the process of how the old masters like Rembrandt came up with their simple yet powerful portraits would help.

Jul 20 15 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

Peter House

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

When you photograph, what is your purpose? What are you capturing? Find a way to give your images mood. Give the images context. Movement. Art does not need to be elaborate. It can be subtle. But learn to tell a story with a single frame. Create conversation.

Jul 20 15 07:28 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Sausage69 wrote:
Thank you for all the suggestions. I agree that having a powerful idea (from a vivid imagination) is a first step, thing is this is not something I have inherently due to the way I have been brought up, the things I studied, and so on. The internet has helped greatly in giving exposure to works from around the world though; 20 years ago who would have guessed this exposure would be available on-demand.

I've seen a lot of nice artsy ideas here on MM, but many of them while having great concepts are spoiled for me because of the lighting. Many of them have this HDR-like look. I'm right now very much influenced by the Japanese style where many prefer to use natural light or very subdued controlled lighting, while adding interest with props or set design.

Some examples here:
http://sumida340.blog.fc2.com/
http://yasphoto.blog111.fc2.com/

I really admire these guys, and even met the second guy at an event, although I couldn't really understand where he draws inspiration from as I can't speak the language very well.

Also heard that understanding the process of how the old masters like Rembrandt came up with their simple yet powerful portraits would help.

Obviously you are determined to improve your photographic eye and not looking to cheat your way to make artistic photographs. That's the first step.
From experience, the only thing I can suggest is to STUDY these artists and others and figure out their process, their lighting technique, maybe experiment by copying their works privately. It may take you a few weeks or maybe years but doing that will spawn inspiration to borrow parts from every photographer to eventually make your own vision. A vision that comes from you only but it takes a lot of time and practice to find your niche and vision... and in my case hundreds of rolls of film and years of reviewing magazines and books when I was a kid figuring it all out.

Jul 20 15 08:32 pm Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Solas wrote:
You need to have vision. When you have that, the technical details are just... that. The vision is where the art comes from. Essentially vision is like, mission objectives of the image. What are you trying to say ? What are you trying to convey? How can you use the techniques you know to do that, or do you have to learn more to do it?
It helps of course, to have a good model, a good list of resources like a set designer, a clothing designer.. but you don't need all that. Work within your vision.

Robb Mann wrote:
Art comes from within. No one can tell YOU how to create art.

Unless you are cynical and shallow, then just underexpose and keep key elements in soft focus.

I don't think you can be taught talent, or creativity, or good taste.  Either it's inside you or it's not.  You can perfect talent but you can't learn it.  You can improve your technical knowledge by education (including looking at others work), experience, and much trial and error (just go shoot).

You look at something or hear something and a vision comes into your head, an idea, or a concept and then you need the technical ability to record it using your camera.  One without the other is useless, just look around MM. There are some great ideas but no ability, there is some great technical shots but no feeling, no impact. If your thoughts are blah, your photos will be blah.

P.S. what is "artsy" ?  And maybe the problem is aiming for artsy.   Aim for good, don't worry about artsy.

Jul 20 15 09:32 pm Link

Photographer

r T p

instagram filters

Jul 20 15 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

J E W E T T wrote:

or better yet, get a photographer that can emote.

Jul 21 15 12:47 am Link

Photographer

Mikey McMichaels

New York, New York, US

Sausage69 wrote:

Artsy is not a feeling.

Happy, sad, joy, loss, fear, gluttony, loneliness, boredom etc are feelings.

Once you can focus on actual feelings, then you can focus on putting them in the photo. Then when you've done it over and over you'll feel compelled to do it in new and different ways and that's where your "artsy" feeling will come from.

Jul 21 15 01:55 am Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

As a photographer and videographer I draw from a childhood spent drawing and I started as was the family custom on my mother's side, with Walter Foster Art books. I think I did every exercise on technique as laid out by the advertising agency owner. His books kicked off in 1922 and almost dutifully everyone on my mother's side did the Walter Foster thing.  Although my childhood was full of turmoil and I became a ward of state I had books, such as those on art. I knew who Gainsborough was and what his blue boy was about when I was 9.

I know the quattrocento well and that the works of art were often designed to be part of a way of life, of religious activity.
If you want to be creative--I don't think trying to figure how photographer's did something really helps. More, how could you improve it starts you thinking down the creative path. Just copying someone, while helpful, particularly when you're an adult won't really spark creativity, though it may help with technique.

The world of children almost always drawing when they had a chance appears to have faded. And so has the bright lights of art classes in primary education. When I was five in this country I made a clay ashtray, a turtle, that had cheap shiny stones and in it and the teacher took her for herself, after she baked it. I can remember hours and hours spent with clay, with moulding animals, and one even thought about where the little object of a child's fascination would actually be placed. Creativity is therefore sometimes the pursuit of a lifetimes's practice, that often starts as in childhood.

I would recommend a couple of things. Look at your own aesthetic. Do you really have one?

If you want a natural light approach, Caravaggio would differ with you as his paintings often involve dramatic light as in a spotlight on the subject. His brush was subtle. The Conversion of St. Paul is compositonally unusual. Notice the dramatic lighting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conversio … 0-1%29.jpg

Jul 21 15 02:25 am Link

Photographer

REMOVED

Atlanta, Georgia, US

There is no quick, and easy solution, no "Art Filter."

If it were easy, all GWC's pics would be hanging in the Museum of Modern Art.

To become more artistic, study recognized works of art, do not copy, but analyze others success.

Find your own way, it must be within you.

Jul 22 15 09:50 am Link

Photographer

Evan Hiltunen

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Be curious. Explore. Explore the world around you. Learn to use the tools you have. Attempt to master those tools.

Now, combine your active engagement and curiosity about the world, with your desire to interpret and put forth a unique example of your interpretation, and use your tools to do it.

The techniques do not make the art. The artist uses the techniques to express.

Jul 22 15 10:12 am Link

Photographer

Art Silva

You can copy... let me say that again;
You can copy technique and style but you can't copy finished work... That's what I wanted to make clear.

When I was in high school, I would copy or try to replicate the techniques of top fashion, top sports and news photojournalists and art photographers by studying their work in magazines and books until I can adopt parts of what I learned into my own style which took a long time to mold.
I wanted to see what they saw, I wanted to capture in a way they did, I wanted to find out what made them tick and how they chose certain compositions and what thought process lead them to shoot it that way.

You can't Copy art but you can taste and digest art to form your own perception and open your mind and your own style... it's called inspiration!

Jul 22 15 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

Simon Mittag

Čaġčarān, Ġawr, Afghanistan

Everyone will see this differently, but agree with above comments that you can't 'inject'. It needs to be pre-planned.

My $.0.02:
50% previsualisation: plan the end result before you shoot.
25% lighting
10% quality of model, if present, inc. make-up
10% quality props, outfits
5% let it happen.

Your mileage will vary, i.e. headshots clearly will be stronger on make-up and light. Don't get hung up on percentages, but answer the above for yourself for every image you take as a start.

/S.

Jul 24 15 05:38 am Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

Art Silva wrote:
You can copy... let me say that again;
You can copy technique and style but you can't copy finished work... That's what I wanted to make clear.

When I was in high school, I would copy or try to replicate the techniques of top fashion, top sports and news photojournalists and art photographers by studying their work in magazines and books until I can adopt parts of what I learned into my own style which took a long time to mold.
I wanted to see what they saw, I wanted to capture in a way they did, I wanted to find out what made them tick and how they chose certain compositions and what thought process lead them to shoot it that way.

You can't Copy art but you can taste and digest art to form your own perception and open your mind and your own style... it's called inspiration!

I think you should try to copy.  It is only one step but it is helpful.  When I was a kid I would copy everything.  I loved comics and would copy those the best.  It will give you confidence later on when you learn one technique you will over apply it but that is ok.   When your techniques grow your confidence and creativity will grow.  Copy artists that you love.  Also copy pieces that you love.

Jul 24 15 10:08 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

shoot wide open with a long fast lens on full frame. photoshop the hell out of it (a lot of what we think is photography to me is digital art). think weird/edgy (gas masks on the model used to be all the rage). don't ever let the model smile. process it in b&w with plenty of grain. do weird crops.

i imagine for an artist the worst thing is to be ignored. they want to get people worked up about the image (whether the reaction is positive or negative).

Jul 25 15 09:00 am Link

Photographer

crx studios

#1 - It's a good sign that you are unsatisfied and it's good that you are asking questions. That means you're not as good as you want to be and that you want to learn.

#2 - For me the most important thing is developing an eye for quality. The next step is to hope that eye for quality evolves into a personal vision, and that by then you have learned enough technique to bring that vision to life.

#3 That said, you can only hope to develop an eye that is good as your influences. MM is probably not the best place for that to happen.

#4 Try following tumblrs with amazing images. Study them, figure out why they work. You can start here. If you can see the difference, you're already on your way:

http://apostrophe9.tumblr.com/archive

Jul 25 15 02:16 pm Link