Forums > Photography Talk > K10D to K-3...

Photographer

Frank Lewis Photography

Winter Park, Florida, US

I am a long time Pentax shooter and have been shooting with my K10D for some seven years now and I've decided to upgrade to the K-3. The K-3 has some features I think are interesting. Obviously the larger sensor for larger images but the fact that anti-aliasing can be turned off resulting in a much sharper image out of camera is something I like. Also, I don't have to buy any new lenses. All the glass I own fits this camera and that includes the lenses I use for my ME Super.

Who has the K-3 and what are your impressions?

Jul 25 15 09:10 am Link

Model

Shei P

Brooklyn, New York, US

I had a K10 and it the DR & noise really sucked. K3 should be a major improvement. And, both the K10 & K3 are crop sensor cameras.

Jul 25 15 09:18 am Link

Photographer

Frank Lewis Photography

Winter Park, Florida, US

Shei  P wrote:
I had a K10 and it the DR & noise really sucked. K3 should be a major improvement. And, both the K10 & K3 are crop sensor cameras.

I generally shoot with my K10D at 100 ISO, sometimes, maybe, 200 ISO, but never higher than 200. The K-3 noise suppression is supposed to be much better even as high as 800 ISO.

Crop sensor is not an issue for me.

Jul 25 15 10:21 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

Plenty of rumors of a Pentax full frame camera in the fall.

Who knows? I don't.

Shooting Canon when I shoot but not much investment at this point.

Over time, I accumulated a full set of vintage Pentax K mount lenses at Goodwill, total cost about $100. So I have interest in what is going on since they have the MOST compatible lens line ever produced with the possible exception of Leica (sorry Nikon, not even close!).

Currently holding a 24, two 28s, a 40 pancake, a 50 macro, a 50 1.4, a 100 and a 200, all primes in great condition. Highly under-rated in my opinion. Great bang for the buck beyond any doubt.

Jul 25 15 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

I love my K10D!! Got the K5 and still prefer the 10. Never looked into the 3. I'm more interested in the 645! But alas, $$$$$$.

Jul 25 15 12:54 pm Link

Photographer

wr not here

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

The K3 is quite a nice camera.  It's much faster, and it is much more accurate than the K10 (which I am still a big fan of). They've changed the menus quite a bit, but the layout is logical, as is the layout of the buttons. If you can spring for the extra coin, you might look at the K3II. I has the cool pixel shift thing that increases resolution. That feature is only good for still subjects.

Jul 25 15 02:03 pm Link

Photographer

Frank Lewis Photography

Winter Park, Florida, US

I'll be keeping my K10D when I finally get the K3. I just read a review of the K3II. Too much money. The deal that B&H has on the K3 seems pretty good with the extra battery grip that fits the bottom of the camera. One of my younger brothers is looking at the 645Z as a possible upgrade from his current Canon but we're talking big-time dough for the medium format.

Shadow Dancer, where is this Goodwill where you find Pentax glass? Never heard of such a thing...

Jul 25 15 02:16 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Frank Lewis Photography wrote:
I'll be keeping my K10D when I finally get the K3. I just read a review of the K3II. Too much money. The deal that B&H has on the K3 seems pretty good with the extra battery grip that fits the bottom of the camera. One of my younger brothers is looking at the 645Z as a possible upgrade from his current Canon but we're talking big-time dough for the medium format.

Shadow Dancer, where is this Goodwill where you find Pentax glass? Never heard of such a thing...

Right up here in Bellingham. They have a small section with cameras, one fine day I bought the 24, 40 pancake, 50 macro, 100 and 200 all together for a total including tax of about $65. The two 28s and the 50 1.4 were just random discoveries.

If you are persistent in your searching, thrift stores, antique shops, craigslist, yard sales, estate sales etc. will yield up the goods. I also shop for musical instruments, have done very well. It is a side job for extra spending money and some stuff gets kept.

Jul 25 15 02:24 pm Link

Photographer

JQuest

Syracuse, New York, US

Fomerly an *ist-D, K10, & K20 owner/user. Now shooting a K-5. The difference between the K-10 and the K-5 IMO is huge. In terms of performance, usability,image clarity, noise and low light operations there really is no comparison the K-5 is just a far better camera, so I would imagine the K-3 would be even better than that.

Jul 25 15 02:34 pm Link

Photographer

Frank Lewis Photography

Winter Park, Florida, US

Well, my new K-3 will be here Thursday!

Jul 26 15 06:28 am Link

Photographer

Boyde Studio NYC

Brooklyn, New York, US

Ever since October 2014 I've been using the K5iis. I love the high DR and the lack of noise in low light shots. I still use my K20D as my secondary and I sold my K7 a few years back. Even though I have the DA 50-135 (no SDM issues, thank God) I still like to use my Tamron 28-75 for mid-telephoto and the Sigma 10-20 for wide. The good thing is that the fear of the K5 sensor out resolving these older lenses has been greatly exaggerated. :-)

Jul 26 15 08:18 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Shibley

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Nice to see some other Pentax users! I've had the K-3 since it came out. I like that it uses all the Pentax-K mount glass.

Jul 27 15 05:02 pm Link

Photographer

Charlie Schmidt

Kansas City, Missouri, US

I have also gone to the K5ii and really enjoy it...  I had a pair of K10's that got worked to the very edge.  I enjoy the Dynamic Range of the camera and that all my older glass still fits.  I agree that the older glass is going to be obsolete, as the Megpix grow, but not sure I am there yet.  The camera responds faster than the K10's, and I really like the dual card slots. I never had a Lexar fail on me but I really like the idea of the two slots.

Charlie

Jul 27 15 05:45 pm Link

Photographer

Frank Lewis Photography

Winter Park, Florida, US

Yeah, the dual card slots will be good with the larger file size. With my K10D, all my cards are 2 gig.
Shooting raw+jpg still gave me almost 120 shots per card.

Jul 27 15 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Karlsen

Gloversville, New York, US

I have had them all, 1st-D (my point and shoot drag anywhere) K10, K20, K5 (used not too thrilled with it but it could be just the one I got), and now the K3 (B&H package)  Like them all but the K3 is the best. Dual cards are great, use one slot for jpegs and one for DNG.  Will take up to 16gb cards.  Menu on each camera is a little different but you get used to it pretty quickly.  I print mostly 8x10 so I added a finder with a set of guides just for that.  Still using lenses bought for my old Film PZ-1P!!  Work perfect except you need to remember the focal length's are a little different when used on digital rather than 35mm. Started out with Pentax K-1000, glad I did! The fact that all lenses fit saved a lot of money.  High end Nikon or Cannon would be nice for the snob appeal, but I personally don't see them worth all the extra cash for the same results!!

Jul 30 15 07:55 am Link

Photographer

Frank Lewis Photography

Winter Park, Florida, US

My K-3 arrived this afternoon! The battery is on the charger and I am attaching the strap. I put my 35mm prime lens on for the time being, the kit lens is on the K10. The body came with the battery grip to attach to the bottom of the camera. I'll be buying another lithium battery for that rather than using four AA batteries. B&H has some kind of 4% reward I can apply to a future purchase, which would be a second battery.

Jul 30 15 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

So, how is it?

Aug 01 15 11:34 am Link

Photographer

Frank Lewis Photography

Winter Park, Florida, US

Shadow Dancer wrote:
So, how is it?

Fast, quiet, very accurate color. With AA simulator turned off, jpegs are tack sharp. Shot some cars last night and I'm going to shoot some cars again this evening. I'll be posting some unedited jpegs in my Flickr page tomorrow.

EDIT: Maybe not. Raining right now. No one will bring out their cool cars on a rainy afternoon...

Aug 01 15 01:33 pm Link

Photographer

henrybutz New York

Ronkonkoma, New York, US

+1 for the AA filter.  With it turned off, images are so much sharper than the previous models.  I prefer the color on the new K-3 as well.

+1 for every time I purchase a new camera it rains for several days right after it arrives.  Always.

Aug 04 15 06:15 am Link

Photographer

Retro Wks

Irvine, California, US

Congrats on your new camera!  I don't understand the need for turning AA-filter off or the pixel shifting for increased resolution.  Cameras have pretty amazing resolution these days.  I hope you enjoy your purchase!

I have two K10D cameras, upgraded to the K-7, K-5 and then the K-5II.  Haven't tried the K-3 or K-3II yet.  I really like my K-5II for day shooting and use my K-5 for astro-photography.  Sold my K-7 and converted one of the K10D cameras to an wide spectrum camera for UV and IR photography.

Aug 26 15 09:35 am Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Los Angeles, California, US

Shadow Dancer wrote:
Plenty of rumors of a Pentax full frame camera in the fall.

Who knows? I don't.

Shooting Canon when I shoot but not much investment at this point.

Over time, I accumulated a full set of vintage Pentax K mount lenses at Goodwill, total cost about $100. So I have interest in what is going on since they have the MOST compatible lens line ever produced with the possible exception of Leica (sorry Nikon, not even close!).

Currently holding a 24, two 28s, a 40 pancake, a 50 macro, a 50 1.4, a 100 and a 200, all primes in great condition. Highly under-rated in my opinion. Great bang for the buck beyond any doubt.

The Pentax Full Frame will be release with the Sony's 42 mp in October.

Aug 26 15 09:38 am Link

Photographer

Photographic Adventures

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

DOUGLASFOTOS wrote:

How confident are you about the 42 mp?  I've been shooting a Nikon D600 with a 24-120vr, 50g and 85g for the last couple years.  I have a full complement of Pentax FF ready lenses that I've been reluctant to sell off, so I'm looking forward to a Pentax FF.  OTOH, 24mp seems to be plenty for most of what I shoot and 42 mp seems to be a bit of overkill.

Aug 26 15 10:35 am Link

Photographer

Jim Shibley

Phoenix, Arizona, US

What lenses does everyone like on the K-3?

The ones I currently use most are the Pentax-DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 & the Pentax-FA 43mm 1.9.

Sep 08 15 09:24 pm Link

Photographer

alessandro2009

Florence, Toscana, Italy

DOUGLASFOTOS wrote:

It would be good if it were equipped with the new 42mp sensor instead of the older 36mp sensor but I'm not so sure about that.

Sep 08 15 09:30 pm Link

Photographer

GeM Photographic

Racine, Wisconsin, US

Jim Shibley wrote:
What lenses does everyone like on the K-3?

The ones I currently use most are the Pentax-DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 & the Pentax-FA 43mm 1.9.

I don't have a K-3, but I love the DA* 50-135/2.8.

Sep 09 15 07:50 pm Link

Photographer

Frank Lewis Photography

Winter Park, Florida, US

I'll be doing my first model shoot with my K-3 this Sunday at the Orlando Meet & Greet being held at Ponce Inlet Park.
My new Mustang will also be part of the shoot. I expect excellent results...

Sep 09 15 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

alessandro2009 wrote:
It would be good if it were equipped with the new 42mp sensor instead of the older 36mp sensor but I'm not so sure about that.

I think you're right. Sony's MO seems to be that new sensors go into a Sony or Nikon first, then the other one for the next generation, and then the open market on the third generation.

Certainly there is a lot of money to be had by simply selling their sensor to the highest bidder, but I think the relationship they have with Nikon is probably too lucrative to threaten.

That said, a FF Pentax with D800 sensor tech would still be an awesome camera. What Pentax has going for it that nobody else can match is a decades-long history of being the most common inexpensive, high-quality camera. The reason you can find so many random Takumars is because from the 60s to the 80s if you wanted a high-end camera but didn't have terribly deep pockets, you bought a Pentax. The K1000 was the best-selling all-manual SLR of all time - even at the end, when they were made of plastic in Hong Kong.

Pentax's lens flange also happens to allow mounting the widest variety of non-Pentax lenses of any mainstream SLR. Not by much over Canon, but still a valid marketing point, now that Olympus has all but given up on SLRs.

They could very easily transition to a Fuji-type dial-based model, and play up the versatility and value. 'Want to use random old lenses, but don't want a mirrorless? Buy a Pentax!' I don't know how long that marketing push would last, but it would at least buy them enough business to make them a relevant player again. And from there, who knows?

Because trying to compete on tech and features, while consistently being 1-2 generations behind, is really not working out for them. After almost a decade of making cameras that way, I'm honestly surprised they're still in business. Even after the Ricoh acquisition, I would have thought they'd have been bought out by LG or Toshiba, or another tech firm looking to get into the market by now, much like Sony did with Minolta.

Sep 09 15 10:25 pm Link

Photographer

alessandro2009

Florence, Toscana, Italy

Zack Zoll wrote:
'Want to use random old lenses, but don't want a mirrorless? Buy a Pentax!' I don't know how long that marketing push would last, but it would at least buy them enough business to make them a relevant player again.

I have many doubts about that:
1) a similar strategies  while cost money from the marketing department would attempt to promote sales of camera bodies on an attempt to cover the costs of research and development and making profits
2) regardless of general interest for full frame DSLR camera, they rappresent a tiny segment of the market (very small) so focus mainly on the sale of camera bodies may not be enough
3) it is unlikely that the older cheapset lenses, with some exceptions, are able to resolve all the details of the new sensors. While the best older lens, with few exceptions, are often a lot expensive and difficult to obtain.
Also, DSLR camera continue to be disadvantaged compared to mirrorless solutions if some wish to use even some cheaper totally manually older lens.
And, on that case, as happen from different manufacter, often totally manuals lens have better build quality respect the equivalent older AF solutions.

Note:
Also regardless of what everyone think on that issue, in the past, various optics, takumar included, to improve their performance, used radioactive elements.

Sep 10 15 10:54 am Link

Photographer

Michael Broughton

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

alessandro2009 wrote:

I have many doubts about that:
1) a similar strategies  while cost money from the marketing department would attempt to promote sales of camera bodies on an attempt to cover the costs of research and development and making profits
2) regardless of general interest for full frame DSLR camera, they rappresent a tiny segment of the market (very small) so focus mainly on the sale of camera bodies may not be enough
3) it is unlikely that the older cheapset lenses, with some exceptions, are able to resolve all the details of the new sensors. While the best older lens, with few exceptions, are often a lot expensive and difficult to obtain.
Also, DSLR camera continue to be disadvantaged compared to mirrorless solutions if some wish to use even some cheaper totally manually older lens.
And, on that case, as happen from different manufacter, often totally manuals lens have better build quality respect the equivalent older AF solutions.

Note:
Also regardless of what everyone think on that issue, in the past, various optics, takumar included, to improve their performance, used radioactive elements.

almost any lens made for pentax cameras since 1975 will work just fine with a pentax dslr. certainly better than with a mirrorless camera. not to mention older m42, t-mount and adaptall lenses. i own several manual and af lenses that are easy to find and quite affordable that out-resolve my k-3. you'd have to grind up and snort a takumar lens to get enough radiation to harm you.

Sep 10 15 01:46 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

It won't harm you, no. But it does turn the lens yellow over time. That can be bleached out with UV light, but it's still something you have to do.

I've never tried K-mount lenses on a mirrorless. My go-to lenses are M42 Schneiders, and I can tell you that those resolve like crazy on an A7r. Well, two of the three I have do. The 135 f/3.5 is actually the sharpest lens I've owned, and that counts Leica glass, Nikon's 70-209 VRI, and the Sony/Zeiss 55. At a 16x20 print size, the images are actually sharper than my 4x5 with colour film. Not better, but sharper.

But you know, none of that matters. Look at Fuji:  from a spec standpoint, they've been in last place in their price range for a couple generations. But they're still great cameras,and people still buy them.

Worrying about maximum resolution is exactly what Pentax shouldn't be doing. Not that they should make crap - they should focus on making unique product with solid performance, like Fuji. The cameras don't need to be redesigned from scratch to accomade this - just the chassis and menu.

The Pentax Q,and whatever mirrorless it was that had a native K mount, are examples of doing it wrong. The Q was a good quality compact camera, designed as a toy. The mirrorless was an attempt to sell the old school Pentax brand with a new camera, but it was designed like an anime product. It actually had an official Battletech colour option.

If they took that mirrorless, and designed it with a dial-based control system like Fuji's, they could sell that as a new-school old-school camera. They can still sell new lenses - there's built in compatibility. But they have the old school Pentax hook, and that hook is what Pentax lacks.

Pentax doesn't have a 'thing,' unless you count their history. Panasonic's thing is video. Olympus' thing is size. Sony's is the latest tech. Nikon and Canon's thing is making giant, high-performance beasts. Fuji's thing is making vintage-style cameras, with vintage-style controls.

Those companies are all still succeeding because each one of them has focused on that thing, and they are totally dominant in that segment of the market. If Pentax wants to be a major player again, they need to find a different market segment to dominate. Right now they're doing a little of everything, and that makes them forgettable.

Sep 10 15 05:27 pm Link

Photographer

Natural Means

Yamba, New South Wales, Australia

Zack Zoll wrote:
It won't harm you, no. But it does turn the lens yellow over time. That can be bleached out with UV light, but it's still something you have to do.

I've never tried K-mount lenses on a mirrorless. My go-to lenses are M42 Schneiders, and I can tell you that those resolve like crazy on an A7r. Well, two of the three I have do. The 135 f/3.5 is actually the sharpest lens I've owned, and that counts Leica glass, Nikon's 70-209 VRI, and the Sony/Zeiss 55. At a 16x20 print size, the images are actually sharper than my 4x5 with colour film. Not better, but sharper.

But you know, none of that matters. Look at Fuji:  from a spec standpoint, they've been in last place in their price range for a couple generations. But they're still great cameras,and people still buy them.

Worrying about maximum resolution is exactly what Pentax shouldn't be doing. Not that they should make crap - they should focus on making unique product with solid performance, like Fuji. The cameras don't need to be redesigned from scratch to accomade this - just the chassis and menu.

The Pentax Q,and whatever mirrorless it was that had a native K mount, are examples of doing it wrong. The Q was a good quality compact camera, designed as a toy. The mirrorless was an attempt to sell the old school Pentax brand with a new camera, but it was designed like an anime product. It actually had an official Battletech colour option.

If they took that mirrorless, and designed it with a dial-based control system like Fuji's, they could sell that as a new-school old-school camera. They can still sell new lenses - there's built in compatibility. But they have the old school Pentax hook, and that hook is what Pentax lacks.

Pentax doesn't have a 'thing,' unless you count their history. Panasonic's thing is video. Olympus' thing is size. Sony's is the latest tech. Nikon and Canon's thing is making giant, high-performance beasts. Fuji's thing is making vintage-style cameras, with vintage-style controls.

Those companies are all still succeeding because each one of them has focused on that thing, and they are totally dominant in that segment of the market. If Pentax wants to be a major player again, they need to find a different market segment to dominate. Right now they're doing a little of everything, and that makes them forgettable.

Pentax's thing is amazing ergonomics.

Sep 11 15 03:14 am Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

For you, maybe.

All of those other things I mentioned are totally universal. The newest tech is the newest tech, regardless of what you like in a camera. The biggest variety of super-teles for birding and sports is the biggest variety, even if you're not going to buy them.

You and I might like Pentax's ergonomics, and I'm sure others here agree. But not everyone does.

Sep 11 15 05:21 am Link

Photographer

alessandro2009

Florence, Toscana, Italy

Zack Zoll wrote:
Look at Fuji:  from a spec standpoint, they've been in last place in their price range for a couple generations. But they're still great cameras,and people still buy them.
If they took that mirrorless, and designed it with a dial-based control system like Fuji's, they could sell that as a new-school old-school camera.

Put aside Sony that in pratice have "abandoned" their more "traditional" DSLR line-up, all other traditional DSLR manufacter for conflict of interest - for fear of cannibalizing sales of their own lines - haven't develop a serious mirrorless system.

Also Fuji detain only a niche of the market, and their camera is an aps-c, if had been a full-frame camera, I doubt that could have a sufficient number of sales to stay in business.

Sep 11 15 11:11 pm Link