Forums > Photography Talk > Photography Tips: Sharing IS Caring!

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Hi everyone,
So I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread with other photographers in order to share tips we've come across or made up.  It doesn't matter how small or complex they are, share away!

Here is my tip.  It's more of a retouching tip than a photography one but hey, a lot of us do our own retouching so whatever lol.  Anyway, I recently did a shoot using colored gels.  When I got home and tried to use Portraiture, it naturally refused to work well because blue and hot pink aren't natural skin colors.  As a result, I started messing around with things and I came up with this:

So here is the original:
https://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y508/YajhilAlvarez/1_zps9cf7wq4m.jpg

As you can see, this is as much as Portraiture will allow me to select:
https://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y508/YajhilAlvarez/2_zpsorkbvuoa.jpg

So to get around that I created a copy of the original, turned off the original, added a black and white layer and then merged the new copy and the black and white layer together:
https://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y508/YajhilAlvarez/3_zpssvxyvq6b.jpg

I then took the black and white version and opened it in Portraiture.  Look at how much I can select now:
https://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y508/YajhilAlvarez/4_zps2xh1omr9.jpg

Once I was happy with how much I selected, I then switched the new merged layer from normal to luminosity and turned the original layer back on:
https://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y508/YajhilAlvarez/5_zpsmalkf7ru.jpg

https://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y508/YajhilAlvarez/6_zps92zdwuox.jpg

I then lowered the opacity of the new layer and added a mask that so that I could paint whatever I don't want to be too smooth or different from the original:
https://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y508/YajhilAlvarez/7_zpsavhejvt4.jpg

And this is the basic gist of what that does:
https://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y508/YajhilAlvarez/8_zpstfeghjfi.jpg

----------------------------------------------------

Now I know that there might be better ways of doing this but this is what worked for me.  Please share your tips and let's all help each other out!  Thanks :-)

Jul 28 15 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

Jamez

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Great thread to start. I'll have to dig up some of my own tips to share.

I don't mean to sound harsh, and I apologize... but am I the only one who doesn't see a difference in the before and after of the OP's final image?

Jul 29 15 05:10 am Link

Photographer

Stephoto Photography

Amherst, Massachusetts, US

Jamez wrote:

I don't mean to sound harsh, and I apologize... but am I the only one who doesn't see a difference in the before and after of the OP's final image?

There's a slight difference in the color of the background, but the guy himself looks the same! (to me, at least).

I love whomever that model is. It's so hard to find male models here!

Jul 29 15 05:35 am Link

Photographer

Laura Elizabeth Photo

Rochester, New York, US

Jamez wrote:

The little dark speckles of his pores are softened in the second image, you can mainly see them on his chest and shoulder.  It's not a big difference I'll agree but it does seem to be there.

Jul 29 15 05:38 am Link

Photographer

Doug Bolton Photography

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

The first shot of your photoshoot should be taken even before you leave for the shoot. It's a simple check to see that your gear is in working order before you leave. (haven't forgot batteries, memory card etc...)

Jul 29 15 06:10 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Yajhil Alvarez wrote:
And this is the basic gist of what that does:
https://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y508/YajhilAlvarez/8_zpstfeghjfi.jpg

----------------------------------------------------

Now I know that there might be better ways of doing this but this is what worked for me.  Please share your tips and let's all help each other out!  Thanks :-)

Nice idea for a thread, Yajhil.

However, I must admit (I am also using reading glasses at +1.25 and they are scratched up) I really don't see much of a difference in the before and after image... definitely not enough for me to go through all that... The most significant change I can see are the words "Before" and "After"... tongue   evilgrin

I use ACDSee Ultimate 8 (highly recommended!) and I can change a lot in levels for color or lighting (up to 9 light bands going up and 9 for darkening).

What is it you were going for and what is it that I should look for when comparing both images?

Jul 29 15 06:10 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Yajhil Alvarez wrote:
Hi everyone,
So I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread with other photographers in order to share tips we've come across or made up.  It doesn't matter how small or complex they are, share away!

The minute I came to the realization that I needed to go my own way versus trying to produce the glam schlock that everyone else was producing at the time, was the minute my work started to SIGNIFICANTLY improve.

Jul 29 15 06:16 am Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Hey,
Sorry I actually thought that if I made the result obvious people would say "oh gross he looks soooo fake now, I don't wanna try that ugliness!" so I did it as minimally as possible but if you guys try it you will see that it can be done to be much more obvious.

Jul 29 15 11:27 am Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Farenell Photography wrote:

The minute I came to the realization that I needed to go my own way versus trying to produce the glam schlock that everyone else was producing at the time, was the minute my work started to SIGNIFICANTLY improve.

See I was starting to bore myself so I decided to go get gels and try more fashiony looking stuff.  I just did a shoot with a friend of mine that hopefully will look cool.  I'm running on two hours of sleep so I don't think I will start fixing that till tonight.  Anyway, you always have to do whatever works for you and whatever you find yourself to be good at or whatever you are interested in.  People have hit me up for weddings and events and stuff and I say hell no to that because my heart is just not into that even though the money is there.  I just wouldn't be very good at that.

Jul 29 15 11:30 am Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

udor wrote:

Nice idea for a thread, Yajhil.

However, I must admit (I am also using reading glasses at +1.25 and they are scratched up) I really don't see much of a difference in the before and after image... definitely not enough for me to go through all that... The most significant change I can see are the words "Before" and "After"... tongue   evilgrin

I use ACDSee Ultimate 8 (highly recommended!) and I can change a lot in levels for color or lighting (up to 9 light bands going up and 9 for darkening).

What is it you were going for and what is it that I should look for when comparing both images?

The skin is more cleaned up.  Dark spots got removed and it's slightly smoother.  I did the effect very lightly because I didn't want to be accused of going overboard but I guess I could've gone a little bit more out there.  I shall next time!  It does work though.

Jul 29 15 11:31 am Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Blimey Studios wrote:
The first shot of your photoshoot should be taken even before you leave for the shoot. It's a simple check to see that your gear is in working order before you leave. (haven't forgot batteries, memory card etc...)

It's sad but I never think about that.  I really should though.  I have one camera and one camera only and if that doesn't work or something doesn't I would be driving somewhere for no reason.  Good tip :-)

Jul 29 15 11:32 am Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Laura Bello wrote:

The little dark speckles of his pores are softened in the second image, you can mainly see them on his chest and shoulder.  It's not a big difference I'll agree but it does seem to be there.

Yup!  That's exactly the difference.  It could be done to be more noticeable I just didn't want to go too crazy.

Jul 29 15 11:33 am Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Stephoto Photography wrote:

There's a slight difference in the color of the background, but the guy himself looks the same! (to me, at least).

I love whomever that model is. It's so hard to find male models here!

Yeah I didn't want to go overboard with the effects but if done more it would be more obvious that his skin is retouched and has less "imperfections".  Anyway, it's hard even here to find good models.  I have posted several castings and the people that are interested don't fit what I'm looking for at the moment.  I'm next to NYC!  Maybe they just don't like my work or my TF rules.  Who knows?  Whatever lol.

Jul 29 15 11:35 am Link