This thread was locked on 2015-09-08 08:35:40
Forums > General Industry > Time to say Farewell.

Photographer

Harlequins Mask

Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia

Folks;

After much soul-searching and an agony of indecision, I've decided to close my MM account.

This is a bit of a note to say hale and fare well to the many with whom I've interacted here - models, photographers, Admins & Mods, stylists, body painters...the list goes on. I've been lucky to work with some fantastically talented people who have helped me produce some wonderful images (as well as navigate the tricky waters of the on-line communities) and before I go I wanted to say a heartfelt Thank You.

I've had a bit of a bad run of late with cancellations, no shows, and whatnot (I'm not complaining - I had a great run for years) and this has been the final nail in the coffin for what has been a side business for me. This year, I've paid out over $4000 in insurance, advertising, model fees, associations and the like in an effort to keep it all going; I've made less than 20% of that back. Putting everything together, well, it's time to go.

I'll still be swinging a camera around - I'm not abandoning photography! But as any sort of model shooter...I'd never say never, but it's unlikely. I have two more shoots in the pipeline, and that may well see me done. I'll go back to trying to shed my image as Australia's worst landscape photographer instead. I'll have no further on-line presence at all, at least for a while.

So to all here in this great community, a humble and heartfelt thanks, particularly to the many great models with whom I've shot. It's been great, and words can't really express it. Thank You for helping me to realise my visions. And to all in this fantastic community, I salute you! MM is a great site, and for the most part it has some wonderful and professional people here. I am not worthy...

My account will stay open until the first week or so of September, and then that will be me gone.

Thanks folks - and keep your finger on the shutter!

Best regards,

- Warren B.

Aug 19 15 05:35 pm Link

Model

Model MoRina

MacMurdo - permanent station of the US, Sector claimed by New Zealand, Antarctica

smile

Best of luck to you!

Aug 19 15 07:04 pm Link

Photographer

Julietsdream

Burbank, California, US

Hi Warren....
   Why don't you go to a free account here on MM...that way, you can still have access to your photography whims...without giving up on everything completely...just in case...you decide differently, in the near future..?!....If your mind is set on leaving though....I wish you *Well*...and hope for you, the Best, on your new adventures..!!

Aug 20 15 06:28 am Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

I don't know if Warren is still checking this thread but for all of us, I hate to see you go.

Warren's situation is not unique.  Photography has always been a rough row to hoe and all the more so with the advent of inexpensive digital cameras opening the field and reducing the learning curve for newcomers.  In my case, earning a living and raising a family precluded my getting involved for years, and when I did, digital was here.  After a few short forays into trying to earn expenses, much less a living, I saw that for me at any rate, there was no place in my future as a professional art photographer. 

There was, however, an excellent place for me as an amateur photographer.  I've been able to continually practice, learn and develop my skills, I've enjoyed myself, met some wonderful people, and satisfied many of my creative urges and I've done so free of the frustrations and expenses of a professional practice.  To those who say I've given up, I say "What?"  I've given up nothing that I ever actually had.  I've only shed myself, artistically, personally and financially, of a number of externally imposed restraints such as clients, deadlines and other people's egos.  Not to mention a lot of PITA bookkeeping.

For me, model photography is a hobby, as I suspect it is for most of us, including those who make a living in other related aspects of the commercial world.  I'm not diminished, embarrassed or frustrated by that fact.  If anything, I'm empowered by it.

So Warren, if you don't mind a suggestion from a crotchety old fart, sit back, relax, and enjoy a glass of the lemonade that you can make of the lemons that life has handed you, and continue to enjoy all that model photography (and MM) has to offer.  Like the rest of us.

All IMHO as always, of course.

Aug 20 15 06:54 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

hienvy

Good luck.

Consider that it cost you nothing to keep your account open and stay in touch, develop contacts, become an old curmudgeon in the forums and rant about whatever.

Aug 20 15 11:02 am Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

The Harlequins Mask wrote:
I'll go back to trying to shed my image as Australia's worst landscape photographer instead. I'll have no further on-line presence at all, at least for a while.

Perhaps consider reverting to a free account with fifteen of those stunning "worst" landscapes that showcase a beautiful woman.

The weathered rock formations, in particular, would be a great loss.

Aug 20 15 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

Harlequins Mask

Folks;

Thank you very much for the feedback. I have considered remaining with a free account, but I don't really know if I want to take that path.

As someone who learned photography at a TAFE (Technical and Further Education) College back in the days of a wet darkroom, safe lights, paper safes, and the like, I could never step away from photography completely. And the point about the ease of creating good work with many of the new digital cameras has already been well made. For someone who went through the old systems, it's a little frustrating to see how many people take an average shot and than post process the blazes out of it to get something worthwhile. I don't grudge it, it's just one of those little speed humps that are annoying sometimes.

It would be hard to become more of a cranky old (well...middle aged) fart than I already am, too. And with only one or two notable exceptions - like the model I booked who asked for a deposit up front and after receiving it deleted her account and refused to answer her phone or emails - I have really enjoyed being here.

I think it's time for me to go, and turn the camera to some of Australia's landscape features to see if I can make something worthwhile. I have a 5DMkII, some L-series lenses, a tripod and a shutter release; will travel!

Again, my thanks for the kind words.

- Warren B.

Aug 21 15 04:29 am Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

For someone who went through the old systems, it's a little frustrating to see how many people take an average shot and than post process the blazes out of it to get something worthwhile. I don't grudge it, it's just one of those little speed humps that are annoying sometimes.

In my storeroom, I have a Durst with a dichroic head, nikkor lens, etc, etc, but none of that adds up to creating something like this (18+) https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/37932470 or this (18+) https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/16512466 , so try not to sell yourself short.

Aug 21 15 11:49 am Link

Photographer

Harlequins Mask

Thanks mate. From the bottom of my ego...

- Warren B.

Aug 21 15 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

like the model I booked who asked for a deposit up front and after receiving it deleted her account and refused to answer her phone or emails - I have really enjoyed being here.

I really wish you would post an account of this incident in another thread

Aug 22 15 11:53 am Link

Photographer

Bare Essential Photos

Upland, California, US

I've had a bit of a bad run of late with cancellations, no shows, and whatnot.

Hey, I hear you.

I'm doing much the same thing for the same reason. However, I've decided to hold on to my free accounts. I used to have two paid accounts but things just got too slow to hold on to them for reasons you've stated. Just too many weekends wasted. I've decided to move on to other endeavors.

Wish you the best : )
Bare Essential Photos

Aug 22 15 02:10 pm Link

Photographer

Harlequins Mask

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:

I really wish you would post an account of this incident in another thread

I did notify a few people, and with the mobile number of the model it wouldn't have been too difficult to track her down via the usual law agencies. But it would have been a case of spending $1000 to get $125 back. That was the "half up front" deposit to cover travelling expenses and incidentals. I have done that before with no hassles on one or two occasions.

The only thing that concerned me was how many other people did she scam at the same time? But she is gone from here, and I haven't seen her shots pop up anywhere else.

- Warren B.

Aug 22 15 09:43 pm Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

well enjoy whatever you're going to boing.

and yeah, why not just keep a free page open just to pop in now n again to shout a big hello?

Aug 24 15 11:14 am Link

Photographer

Harlequins Mask

A short note of thanks for the encouragement here on the forum and the couple of messages I've got. Much appreciated folks.

Aug 24 15 07:41 pm Link

Photographer

Rik Williams

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Folks;

Thank you very much for the feedback. I have considered remaining with a free account, but I don't really know if I want to take that path.

As someone who learned photography at a TAFE (Technical and Further Education) College back in the days of a wet darkroom, safe lights, paper safes, and the like, I could never step away from photography completely. And the point about the ease of creating good work with many of the new digital cameras has already been well made. For someone who went through the old systems, it's a little frustrating to see how many people take an average shot and than post process the blazes out of it to get something worthwhile. I don't grudge it, it's just one of those little speed humps that are annoying sometimes.

It would be hard to become more of a cranky old (well...middle aged) fart than I already am, too. And with only one or two notable exceptions - like the model I booked who asked for a deposit up front and after receiving it deleted her account and refused to answer her phone or emails - I have really enjoyed being here.

I think it's time for me to go, and turn the camera to some of Australia's landscape features to see if I can make something worthwhile. I have a 5DMkII, some L-series lenses, a tripod and a shutter release; will travel!

Again, my thanks for the kind words.

- Warren B.

Still no need to throw it all away Warren

I started on film 25 years ago but gave it away after 5 years in the trade in lieu of a more profitable venture.
Up until 12 years ago I was building homes for young families ...that is until a roo found me at high speed on my sports bike.
Almost two months in hospital with a hip reconstruction to go, I found a lot of time to reflect.
Knowing I could never return to my trade physically, I decided to get back into photography ...and the only way my wife would let me back on a bike is if I did it professionally.
I ended up doing both. I became a motorcycle instructor with HART and joined up at a well known photography college to gain an advanced diploma (mainly to scrub up on digital work)

My point is, don't give up on what you love. Life is for living, not merely surviving.

I think we've all had shitty experiences in this trade/hobby and it will probably only get worse.
Everyone is out for themselves more and more these days. But don't give up my friend ...if it's what you love, continue despite the pitfalls.

Wish you well.

Aug 24 15 09:14 pm Link

Photographer

phoenixphoto

Gunnedah, New South Wales, Australia

Been great viewing your work.

There are some great locations listed where you have shot, Blue Mountains especially.
Hope the landscapes are just as good as your work on here.

Shane

Aug 25 15 12:07 am Link

Photographer

Evenfall Photography

Menifee, California, US

I've talked to quite a few who share similar sentiments. Models and photographers alike. I may find myself doing the same thing here in a couple of months.

Aug 25 15 06:07 pm Link

Photographer

Harlequins Mask

Rik Williams wrote:
My point is, don't give up on what you love. Life is for living, not merely surviving.

Ahh, mate you put your finger on the nub of it. I've had a few disappointments with model photography of late, so for the very reason you point out, I'm walking away. Not without a glance over my shoulder, I admit, but if I keep trying to do this and failing, then I probably would end up giving it all away, and fall out of love with it all.

At the very least, I need a year or two to take my soul out and look at it. Who knows, maybe I'll come back after a good long break - but I doubt it.

Thanks again.

- Warren B.

Aug 26 15 03:35 am Link

Photographer

Harlequins Mask

Well, this is it folks. Wednesday afternoon, Aussie time, will see me gone.

Thanks very much for all the help and feedback.

All the best,

- Warren B.

Sep 04 15 05:46 pm Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

I know the feeling..... I just renew for one year with very little hope.....
I might explore other aspects of photography like macro or something else I know nothing about!....
Never too late to learn!

Sep 04 15 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Well, this is it folks. Wednesday afternoon, Aussie time, will see me gone.

Thanks very much for all the help and feedback.

All the best,

- Warren B.

Just go.  How many times to you have to say goodbye??

I don't understand why people have this need to announce their departure for weeks.

Sep 06 15 08:10 am Link

Photographer

MN Photography

Chicago, Illinois, US

Good Egg Productions wrote:

Just go.  How many times to you have to say goodbye??

I don't understand why people have this need to announce their departure for weeks.

It's the death scene in a Greek tragedy.

Sep 06 15 09:42 am Link

Photographer

barepixels

San Diego, California, US

Post hidden on Sep 08, 2015 07:04 am
Reason: not helpful
Comments:
Please don't troll.

Sep 06 15 10:27 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Post hidden on Sep 08, 2015 08:34 am
Reason: not helpful
Comments:
Not helpful.

Sep 06 15 04:04 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Post hidden on Sep 08, 2015 08:35 am
Reason: violates rules
Comments:
Please no trolling.

Sep 07 15 10:00 am Link

Photographer

HarryL

Chicago, Illinois, US

Its hard to say or anything about the photographers world .Never understood:)

Sep 07 15 11:04 am Link