Forums > Model Colloquy > Bait and Switch Encounter

Model

Delia Mak

New York, New York, US

Hi models, have you ever had bait and switch experience before? I have one.

The photographer and I agreed to do a Tf* shoot.
The shoot went well.
He emailed me one final picture (retouched) and a link to some website that I would be able to view unedited images.
I didn't care too much about viewing unedited images because I was good with just 1 final photo.
Until I clicked this link, he made a note on this webpage saying when I download an image it would charge me $5 per image for retouching.

So, it was my first experience of being used in this "bait and switch" method in 10 years.

Share your experiences if any. smile

Aug 31 15 09:36 pm Link

Photographer

E Thompson Photography

Hyattsville, Maryland, US

Here's an ongoing thread about this very subject.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/949522

Sep 01 15 07:18 am Link

Model

Delia Mak

New York, New York, US

E Thompson Photography wrote:
Here's an ongoing thread about this very subject.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/949522

Wow, what a small world. Thank you for the head-up.

Sep 01 15 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

Llobet Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Sounds like a great business plan!... not.

Sep 01 15 06:40 pm Link

Photographer

TerrysPhotocountry

Rochester, New York, US

Maybe the words (Edited TF Session) should be added? With the number allowed for the session?

Sep 01 15 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

Shawn Wright Photo

Niagara Falls, New York, US

I'd say that this photographer should be named and shamed, but I'm pretty sure that's against forum rules.

Sep 01 15 07:16 pm Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

Dude this has to be the same dude the other model was talking about in the other thread.

Sep 01 15 08:02 pm Link

Photographer

All Yours Photography

Lawton, Oklahoma, US

A-M-P wrote:
Dude this has to be the same dude the other model was talking about in the other thread.

The two models could PM each other and find out.  They are both from NY.

Sep 01 15 08:26 pm Link

Photographer

Omar Photographico

SHERMAN OAKS, California, US

Recently I paid a traveling model in advance for a shoot after I was not able to shoot with her on our original shoot date. Rather than letting her go without, I agreed to meet with her a few days before our original shoot date and I paid her in full for a postponed shoot later in the year when she would be coming back to town.

We meet and she agreed to honor the same shooting time (hours) and signed a release. Fast forward to this week, I contact the same model about our pre-paid shoot and she pulls the "Cancelation fee" number on me, and says that she is going back on our agreement and wants me to pay her more!! I remind her that her Cancelation Fee was never part of our agreement, and that there was never a cancelation to begin with, we agreed to postpone the shoot to a later date.
She is currently ignoring my messages and will be coming to Los Angeles in a couple of weeks.

I have her contact info and her personal information and in lieu of filing legal action against her, should he plan be to outright steal the money from me, I would like to work things out with her.

Should those efforts fail, I would like other photographers and models to be aware of this unprofessional individual, but there is outlet for this on Mayhem. I have fully documented every message between us and I want the world to know what kid of person this is.

Sep 02 15 01:23 am Link

Photographer

salvatori.

Amundsen-Scott - permanent station of the US, Unclaimed Sector, Antarctica

Shawn Wright Photo wrote:
I'd say that this photographer should be named and shamed, but I'm pretty sure that's against forum rules.

So you are automatically assuming he's guilty?

Sep 02 15 05:12 am Link

Photographer

salvatori.

Amundsen-Scott - permanent station of the US, Unclaimed Sector, Antarctica

All Yours Photography wrote:

The two models could PM each other and find out.  They are both from NY.

Maybe they already have.

Sep 02 15 05:14 am Link

Model

Delia Mak

New York, New York, US

Omar Photographico wrote:
Recently I paid a traveling model in advance for a shoot after I was not able to shoot with her on our original shoot date. Rather than letting her go without, I agreed to meet with her a few days before our original shoot date and I paid her in full for a postponed shoot later in the year when she would be coming back to town.

We meet and she agreed to honor the same shooting time (hours) and signed a release. Fast forward to this week, I contact the same model about our pre-paid shoot and she pulls the "Cancelation fee" number on me, and says that she is going back on our agreement and wants me to pay her more!! I remind her that her Cancelation Fee was never part of our agreement, and that there was never a cancelation to begin with, we agreed to postpone the shoot to a later date.
She is currently ignoring my messages and will be coming to Los Angeles in a couple of weeks.

I have her contact info and her personal information and in lieu of filing legal action against her, should he plan be to outright steal the money from me, I would like to work things out with her.

Should those efforts fail, I would like other photographers and models to be aware of this unprofessional individual, but there is outlet for this on Mayhem. I have fully documented every message between us and I want the world to know what kid of person this is.

Wow, I'm so sorry to hear that. hmm

Sep 02 15 06:22 am Link

Model

Delia Mak

New York, New York, US

Shawn Wright Photo wrote:

I don't know the lady's situation, but I did read her whole thread though. I think it's same guy.   

Well, for me, this dude seemed nicer to me than her. My shoot with him went well. Her situation seemed not working out. I guess sometimes an individual treats another individual good or bad depending on how things go.

He did send me one final image. I'm pretty sure that he does send each model one final image of his choice. It's kind of a common practice, right? That's why I didn't care too much about getting more than one final photo since I have been modeling for a decade. So, I know how things work.

This lady probably was not happy with the final photo of his choice. Again, I don't know her situation.

One thing I learned again tongue for future shoots:
- communicate CLEARLY before you say yes to a shoot.

I made a mistake by automatically assuming that this shoot was just a Tf* because he contacted me in the first place for a shoot. I should have asked him something simple like
- How many images would I receive?
- How long would the image delivery take?

So, I ended up getting baited by this method for my first time in the decade. lol

I think I'm not the only and one model (or other type in general) whose motto says let's make good photos before we call it a day. If a photographer ever shows me previews on his camera during a shoot and I don't like how I look in those previews, I'd change my poses, wardrobe, hair, makeup, etc. So, we would shoot a bit more until we are good with what we have. That's the part of my job as a model. That helps a lot. smile

Sep 02 15 06:57 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

A-M-P wrote:

It sounded like the photographer in the other thread was a female, whereas this OP worked with a man.

Edit: reread other thread. Both worked with males, so it could be the same person. Not sure why I thought on was a female photographer.

Sep 02 15 08:08 am Link

Photographer

Photos_by_Stan

Youngstown, Ohio, US

BlueMoonPics wrote:
Sounds like a great business plan!... not.

Actually , it is ...
I have read similar posts on here and other sites ..
BUT ... the initial deal usually had more than just one image

Also ... franchise photo studios have ALWAYS done a variation of this then you do the "discount/ coupon sittings"
they honor their deal with the agreed images ... ( which are just average )
and then tell you they have 'better ones' that they can "work on" ...... for more money

Sep 04 15 11:59 am Link

Photographer

Mosttry

Los Angeles, California, US

Shady, for sure.

What I wonder though, is, does he ever make money?  I'd assume most models would be annoyed at best by his 'trick' and so...wonder if he ever gets the five bucks...

Sep 04 15 02:57 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Omar Photographico wrote:
. . .

You paid her a kill fee just as you should have.  Why should she owe you a free shoot in the future?

Sep 04 15 04:22 pm Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

Sounds like the same guy in another thread. It is a scam.

Sep 05 15 02:08 pm Link