Forums > Model Colloquy > Charging for TF

Model

ArLo

New York, New York, US

Hi, I did a TF shoot and then the photographer tried to charge $5 a photo and is holding them hostage on Shutterfly. He says his policy is to not release unedited photos and he won't edit for free. It will be a chilly day in you-know-where when he gets a dime from me. Is this common practice on here? 'Cause I have half a mind to delete my profile. I know I need more photos, but TF is TF. Let me know your thoughts.

Aug 29 15 05:35 am Link

Photographer

salvatori.

Amundsen-Scott - permanent station of the US, Unclaimed Sector, Antarctica

logannye wrote:
Hi, I did a TF shoot and then the photographer tried to charge $5 a photo and is holding them hostage on Shutterfly. He says his policy is to not release unedited photos and he won't edit for free. It will be a chilly day in you-know-where when he gets a dime from me. Is this common practice on here? 'Cause I have half a mind to delete my profile. I know I need more photos, but TF is TF. Let me know your thoughts.

You've illustrated a common problem for both models and photographers - poor communication before the shoot.

Things should be spelled out beforehand, what each party expects to receive, etc., before the session commences. Best of luck in the future.

I don't mean this as a critique of your profile, but the way your bio reads, it will be a cold day in 'you-know-where' when you get professional, respectful photographers willing to deal with your demands. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but the whole thing is an instant turn-off for me.

IMHO

Aug 29 15 05:46 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

It's not common practice for a photographer to do that, but it's not illegal either.

To some degree that's how many of the 'budget' photo studios operate (bring your kid in for a holiday portrait, only $10... they take a whole bunch of pictures and give you the crappy one for $10.  If you want one of the other photos the upsell kicks in).

As mentioned above, make sure all the details are spelled out and agreed upon before shooting.
If it means anything, if you didn't sign a model release the photographer can't do much with the photos either.

Aug 29 15 05:56 am Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

Damn he didnt give you not even 1 photo that sucks and he must be a shitty photographer that needs these lame tactics to make a couple of bucks. 

I would understand if you were asking for extras or whatever to charge for that but he should atleast give you 1 photo because otherwise it is not a TFP shoot.

Aug 29 15 06:02 am Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

TF is intended to be  (and normally is) an even trade between the parties involved with no cash changing hands in either direction, but it is not uncommon for the parties to agree on certain limitations and restrictions such as the number of pictures the model receives, the kinds of poses she is willing to shoot, etc.  There's nothing written in stone.    Like every business deal, it depends on the parties negotiating completely and openly about all details of the shoot.  Apparently there were some assumptions made on both sides which led to your problem.  I wouldn't give up on TF but at the same time it's important to recognize that the other party has expectations as well.  If you are not willing to be contacted for TF, it's unlikely that photographers are willing to shoot TF for your benefit.  Without knowing more about how the negotiation and the shoot went, it's impossible to know whether or not this was a part of the problem.

All IMHO as always, of course.

Aug 29 15 06:17 am Link

Photographer

Maxximages

Los Angeles, California, US

I can understand the not releasing unedited photos but trying to charge $5 per photo LOL he is being a dick.

This is not the norm. Find another photog to shoot with and make sure you discuss up front what you get from the shoot.

Aug 29 15 06:21 am Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

I believe there are three sides to every story and I have no idea what your agreement was but if he changed the terms than that is shady. However after reading your bio I am not certain that you are easy to work with either.

Aug 29 15 06:57 am Link

Photographer

Mike Hemming

Easton, Maryland, US

Post hidden on Sep 04, 2015 04:26 pm
Reason: not helpful
Comments:
Irrelevant to the OP's question.

Aug 29 15 06:59 am Link

Photographer

Doug Bolton Photography

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Post hidden on Sep 04, 2015 04:27 pm
Comments:

Aug 29 15 07:26 am Link

Photographer

Laura Elizabeth Photo

Rochester, New York, US

Post hidden on Sep 04, 2015 04:30 pm
Comments:
Much as I dislike having to hide the useful info you've posted, a large section remains that is irrelevant to the OP's question.

Aug 29 15 07:29 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

salvatori. wrote:
I don't mean this as a critique of your profile, but the way your bio reads, it will be a cold day in 'you-know-where' when you get professional, respectful photographers willing to deal with your demands. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but the whole thing is an instant turn-off for me.

IMHO

Sure smells like an unsolicited critique to me.  Worse are the folks who followed up on this, quoting her bio.  IMHO.

Aug 29 15 07:46 am Link

Photographer

Beatnik 13 Photography

Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Seems to me like you have  done a shoot with a photographer who is a bit on the wrong side of honest and upfront.
For me a TF is a TF - and you showed and were photographed and are therefore are deserving of images - and to give a line about not doing edits for free is crap.
What did the photographer think?  You were posing just because it was such a fine experience to be in his presence?
Sorry. The models I do TF with always get their images and they get them promptly.
And frankly i don't really think it is a problem with poor communication. It was a TF shoot.  Just to add, it is my policy not to release unedited images as well. I had one model recently request them. Not happening.  But you are entitled to at least the agreed number of images.

Aug 29 15 08:10 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Post hidden on Sep 04, 2015 04:30 pm
Comments:

Aug 29 15 08:13 am Link

Photographer

All Yours Photography

Lawton, Oklahoma, US

Mike - Beatnik 13 Photography wrote:
Seems to me like you have  done a shoot with a photographer who is a bit on the wrong side of honest and upfront.
For me a TF is a TF - and you showed and were photographed and are therefore are deserving of images - and to give a line about not doing edits for free is crap.
What did the photographer think?  You were posing just because it was such a fine experience to be in his presence?
Sorry. The models I do TF with always get their images and they get them promptly.
And frankly i don't really think it is a problem with poor communication. It was a TF shoot.  Just to add, it is my policy not to release unedited images as well. I had one model recently request them. Not happening.  But you are entitled to at least the agreed number of images.

This.  And even if the photographer doesn't want to do edits for free, is he not editing some of the photos for his own use and he could send you those with no extra work on his part.

Aug 29 15 08:17 am Link

Photographer

salvatori.

Looknsee Photography wrote:

Sure smells like an unsolicited critique to me.  Worse are the folks who followed up on this, quoting her bio.  IMHO.

So report me, for fuck's sake.

I see nothing wrong with a constructively critical reaction to something in a newbie's profile that has a direct connection to her rant.

Of course, I'm sure you don't see my original reply as constructive, so carry on.

O_o

Aug 29 15 08:23 am Link

Retoucher

ME_retouching

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Did you get any photos at all? Or did you get one or some and now you want more and the photographer won't give them without being paid?

I feel like part of the story is missing. It could be part that is favorable to you - you should clarify if you have received anything at all, whether that was pictures or other compensation. What did you think you were agreeing to when you did the shoot?

Aug 29 15 08:24 am Link

Photographer

erics_Toronto_GTA

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Post hidden on Sep 04, 2015 04:33 pm
Comments:

Aug 29 15 10:12 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

logannye wrote:

You are correct, TF is TF...

What he is doing is bait and switch and he's a prick for doing this!

It's like you are being promised a super cool tablet as a gift for free from a company... but... this tablet can only be charged with a totally customized power-cord... which you have to buy for $499...

However, let's say the deal was TF and you get 5 edited images as part of it, but each additional image would be $5... that would be another story, but giving you not one single edited photo and charging you is serious douchebagery!

Aug 29 15 10:33 am Link

Photographer

StayFocused

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Post hidden on Sep 04, 2015 04:34 pm
Comments:

Aug 29 15 10:52 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

I agree with Udor this is a switch and bait.  "Trade For" implies you are trading for something, that you need to receive sometime in trade for your modeling time.   It would be one thing if he gave you digital images and wanted money for prints, but to give you nothing is not a trade.

At this point it's probably best to move on and consider it a lesson learned.  Make sure you know ahead of time precisely what it is you are trading for.

Aug 29 15 10:55 am Link

Photographer

salvatori.

Of course, I have already been chastised for, dare I say, critical thinking & expression, but I would like to see the OP come back and give us some more info, and if we can make heads or tails of the situation.

Everyone that thinks she has described the situation accurately has of course, seen the photographer as the guilty party, where I see so much confusion in the OP's opening thread and her bio info (damn, there I go again!) that I honestly feel that more info is needed. If we get that.

IMHO

Aug 29 15 11:05 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

if the photographer is planning to charge the model then it's not TF and payment terms need to be discussed upfront.

Aug 29 15 11:16 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Post hidden on Sep 04, 2015 04:35 pm
Comments:

Aug 29 15 11:29 am Link

Photographer

BrianG

Buffalo, New York, US

logannye wrote:
the photographer tried to charge $5 a photo and is holding them hostage on Shutterfly.

Please expand on this.

Aug 29 15 11:42 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

KungPaoChic wrote:
I believe there are three sides to every story and I have no idea what your agreement was but if he changed the terms than that is shady. However after reading your bio I am not certain that you are easy to work with either.

A model responded to my recent casting call that had a bio that's absolutely TOXIC.
Her response was short and sweet, but the bio absolutely scared me off to the point where it took me about a month to reply.

I told the model that I couldn't meet any of the demands and conditions spelled out in her bio. She waived all of the demands.  Reluctantly I accepted but the session never happened.  When attempting to discuss basic details of the shoot each of her responses were limited to a few monosyllabic words.  I'd give a few different ideas and the replies I'd get were 'that sound good' or 'i like that'.  It was like a game of '20 Questions'.

She must think that replies cost a buck a word, because her replies were extremely limited and pointless, and it got to a point that she ended up talking about a different gig that I was involved with, but wasn't mine.  I ended the conversation without a word because the model was too confused as to what she was talking about... simply because her communications skills were horrible to say the least, and the bio was the first major clue to it.

Aug 29 15 11:45 am Link

Model

Laura BrokenDoll

Modena, Emilia-Romagna, Italy

I fail to see how could be just a lack of communication hmm

OP says the photographer wants to be paid to edit the pictures - but at the same time, he's not willing to let her have the unprocessed file. Basically, if she wants her pictures she needs to pay. And this is not how a TF* works.

Aug 29 15 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

Laura BrokenDoll wrote:
I fail to see how could be just a lack of communication hmm

OP says the photographer wants to be paid to edit the pictures - but at the same time, he's not willing to let her have the unprocessed file. Basically, if she wants her pictures she needs to pay. And this is not how a TF* works.

No one really knows what was said or agreed upon because we weren't there.

Aug 29 15 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

Evan Hiltunen

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

KungPaoChic wrote:

No one really knows what was said or agreed upon because we weren't there.

... and it is very likely the OP left out some pertinent information.

Maybe there weren't any good images from the shoot and "holding the pics hostage" is the photographer's way of brushing her off (?) There could be a bunch of reasons, but we need to know more about what actually happened.

Aug 29 15 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

Nature Coast Lightworks

Tampa, Florida, US

Part-time model and actress. Only paid gigs unless I contact you. If you "never pay models," please don't contact me. More photos on the way, but I will not be using this website for TFs. Thanks for understanding.

Paid? Never going to happen. And exactly what are you "charging" for?
http://www.newmodels.com/TFP.html
http://www.newmodels.com/height.html
http://www.newmodels.com/TFPlace.html

jf

Aug 29 15 02:37 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

logannye wrote:

If the photographer has given you nothing at all and is wanting $5 per photo, you are entitled to feel wronged, and, in answer to your question about common practice, it is so uncommon that I have never heard of a similar case before.

If the photographer is on MM, you should contact a moderator for advice.

If you have received an agreed number of photos and the photographer is asking for an editing fee for additional photos, the photographer's position may be defensible.

As your portfolio is still rudimentary, you could post casting calls and availability notices on MM to try to expand it.

Aug 29 15 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

salvatori. wrote:

So report me, for fuck's sake.

I see nothing wrong with a constructively critical reaction to something in a newbie's profile that has a direct connection to her rant.

Of course, I'm sure you don't see my original reply as constructive, so carry on.

O_o

I don't think we know what has really transpired here.  We don't know why the photographer decided to charge her for $5 an edit. This could be a deceptive business practice or he had a falling out with a model who does in fact come off harsh in her bio (just my point of view).

Obviously trade means trade.  It would be great to here the other side of the story. 

I do think when you have an arrogant egotistical photographer and a model who has an inflated sense of his/her abilities you are going to have trouble.

Aug 29 15 07:13 pm Link

Photographer

Reel Max Photos

Miami, Florida, US

just wondering if you got to see any of the images from the shoot? they might not even be worth while paying for.

Aug 29 15 07:54 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Post hidden on Sep 04, 2015 04:36 pm
Comments:

Aug 29 15 10:49 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Rob Photosby wrote:
If the photographer is on MM, you should contact a moderator for advice.

Not a good idea.  Moderators are NOT judges, arbitrators, or counselors for personal disputes.
You'll just be wasting valuable time for nothing.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/help/rules/ … e-behavior

MM wrote:
Member Disputes
-    Model Mayhem is not here to arbitrate member disputes. These are best resolved privately and directly.

Aug 30 15 12:39 am Link

Model

ArLo

New York, New York, US

I changed the bio after all this. It used to say "mainly paid gigs, open to TFs with cool concepts." I tried to word it as politely as possible. The photog was very cryptic about where the photos would be, and I signed a model release. (Won't be doing that again on TF.) I got some texts with photos of the camera screen. After asking and asking and saying I was not planning on paying anything, I got one of the poorer photos in b&w. I asked for only two of the phtots retouched or unretouched, and he said I wasn't getting anymore for free. So being screwed over like that, I changed the bio.

Should I release the MM name on here, go to moderator, change my bio back?

Aug 30 15 07:30 am Link

Photographer

Laura Elizabeth Photo

Rochester, New York, US

logannye wrote:

I'm pretty sure posting the person's name is against the rules and I'm not sure if going to a mod would help but you could try.  Really though it's not like he's doing anything illegal.  One of my best friends is a good photographer and she has a terrible habit of not giving models photos if she doesn't like them on trade shoots.  Now obviously she doesn't try to extort money out of the models but either way they don't get anything out of the shoot.  This just happens sometimes, which is why it can help to check references with the people you're shooting with.

And yes change your bio back to something like 'mainly looking for paid work but open to trade shoots with quality photographers'.  Now you'll still probably get some messages from people you don't wanna shoot with but you can just choose to ignore those messages or simply send the person your rates. Just know that unless you look like Karlie Kloss it will be very very hard for an inexperienced model to get paid work right off the bat, however I do see that you're open to nudes which is where the money is, you should try to get a nice nude shot in your portfolio if you want more paid work.

Aug 30 15 07:41 am Link

Model

ArLo

New York, New York, US

Just changed bio.

Aug 30 15 07:48 am Link

Photographer

Greg Kolack

Elmhurst, Illinois, US

logannye wrote:
I changed the bio after all this. It used to say "mainly paid gigs, open to TFs with cool concepts." I tried to word it as politely as possible. The photog was very cryptic about where the photos would be, and I signed a model release. (Won't be doing that again on TF.) I got some texts with photos of the camera screen. After asking and asking and saying I was not planning on paying anything, I got one of the poorer photos in b&w. I asked for only two of the phtots retouched or unretouched, and he said I wasn't getting anymore for free. So being screwed over like that, I changed the bio.

Many photographers won't work with you if you won't sign a model release.

Posting his name is against the rules.

Going to the Mods won't accomplish anything - they don't arbitrate private disagreements, and quite honestly, at this point it pretty much only your side of the story.

Aug 30 15 08:04 am Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

OP-Check your Tags and delete the offensive one.

Aug 30 15 08:06 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

udor wrote:

You are correct, TF is TF...

What he is doing is bait and switch and he's a prick for doing this!

It's like you are being promised a super cool tablet as a gift for free from a company... but... this tablet can only be charged with a totally customized power-cord... which you have to buy for $499...

However, let's say the deal was TF and you get 5 edited images as part of it, but each additional image would be $5... that would be another story, but giving you not one single edited photo and charging you is serious douchebagery!

This!!

Aug 30 15 08:10 am Link