Forums > General Industry > The Worst Excuses For Cancelling

Photographer

Natural Light on Location

Fort Worth, Texas, US

neoracer wrote:
two of the best:

1: I was out riding a quad bike and fell off/banged my head

2: Oil light on car came on, its taking sooo long to get fixed!

My Fav?

"My boyfriend did not go to work today, and I can't leave the house."

Now that's honesty.

Sep 09 15 04:59 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:
what really eliminates flaking for me is this fact;  I do not photograph strangers!

rp_photo wrote:
These days I work a lot with local and traveling pros, some whom I've never met until the shoot. At this level, flaking is not a concern and my main worry is what the weather will be like on a shoot booked a month in advance.

However, I dealt with a lot of the liars earlier on.

Over a 35 year period of time doing my own castings in person for everything from theater actors and musicians to models, I've at a higher ability to catch the flakes before they catch me.  wink

Now when dealing with cyber castings, I've learned to apply  much of the techniques, only because I absolutely require a phone conversation.  It can be a short call.  I don't consider anything booked until I've heard their voice.  There have been many times I've posted about vetting and casting of models, but what works for me may not work for everybody else.

Sep 09 15 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

Kentus Photography

Detroit, Michigan, US

Just got another good one:

"I have to go to Japan to get my dog and things."

I think she's being honest...but it sounds magnificent.  smile

Sep 10 15 10:52 pm Link

Photographer

2A Models

SOUTHWORTH, Washington, US

Sometimes the excuse seems valid enough, but in combination with the timing... That's where things start to look fishy...

Case in point (for a photo session that was on the books for a solid week in advance of the shoot): a cancellation text message at 2:30AM bailing on a shoot at 8:00AM later that morning... "I'm typing this from the floor of my hotel bathroom. I think I have food poisoning." OK, valid enough, although maybe pigging out at the Mongolian grill the night before my shoot wasn't the best idea, but things happen, and I can accept that and chalk things up to the occasional costs of doing business, even though it blows my whole day in the studio and puts me behind on client projects.

Three months later the same model returns to town on a subsequent tour, so I contact her to reschedule. "My rates have gone up..." Like an extra 50%, with no consideration or concession with regard to honoring our previous agreement after burning me the first time. I told her "No thanks" and hired someone else.

Unfortunate events like that do underpin my resolve to show the individuals I work with fundamental respect and demonstrate both personal and professional integrity in our business dealings and other interactions, even if it isn't always reciprocated...

Sep 10 15 11:51 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

From one teenager: "I forgot that I work on Saturdays."

From a college girl, one of the first shoots I tried to arrange through MM: "I forgot that I have my nephew's birthday party today." Yes, the party she had mentioned in every communication for the last two weeks. The party for which she was the prime organizer.

From two OMP-based Russian models living in the Bay Area, friends but unrelated, they both had medical emergencies in their respective families (for one, a grandmother; the other, a grandfather) and they would each be out of state. The two messages were copy-and-paste identical except for grandmother/grandfather). I never heard back from either of them when I asked what the odds were of two families both having medical emergencies at the same time of the shoot. I later saw a tag on their profiles from a photographer thanking them for the great shoot held in the Bay Area the afternoon they were supposedly out of state.

Sep 11 15 12:45 am Link

Photographer

Fotographic Aspirations

Long Beach, California, US

Goldfish not eating well, now refuses to drink water ..........

Sep 11 15 01:25 am Link

Photographer

Laura Elizabeth Photo

Rochester, New York, US

Is it bad that I honestly don't care much if a model cancels if they at least tell me so?  They could just say they're feeling tired and I'd be totally cool with that if they told me a few hours before the shoot.  I just shoot for fun so if people aren't going to be into it I'd rather just shoot another day.  If they keep bailing though for dumb reasons then I mind cause it's not worth the effort to plan it.   Normally when I have girls bail we'll end up shooting another day.

Sep 11 15 08:29 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

https://lozferok.kiev.ua/pictures/everybody-lies.jpg

Sep 11 15 09:05 am Link

Photographer

San Anselmo, California, US

The most exasperating E mail comment I had from a wannabe  model was ... Quote"  I never give out my phone number because you might be a pervert " !!!  Needless to say that was the end of that endearing  connection...!!!!

Sep 11 15 09:34 am Link

Photographer

crx studios

Los Angeles, California, US

> Left my make-up at my boyfriend’s house. I was going to call you this morning but my cell phone died.

> I was out late last night partying and I don’t think I look my best. You want me to look my best, don’t you?

> I’m two hours away and my roommate took her car and hasn’t come back yet. I was thinking, how does next Thursday look?

All delivered by text approximately 15 minutes before the shoot was supposed to start.

Sep 11 15 08:10 pm Link

Photographer

erics_Toronto_GTA

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

This:
Yes we need to reschedule 😓 sorry   I'm bloated too from eating all the cake and fatty bday foods

And this:
hello sorry I was sleeping because I was so sick, are you available today or tomorrow to shoot at all?

Sep 11 15 09:36 pm Link

Photographer

TerrysPhotocountry

Rochester, New York, US

Garry k wrote:
...but let me clarrify that these were two different days

From the same person?

Sep 11 15 10:02 pm Link

Photographer

Wandering Eyebubble

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

My favourite:

21:35 All ready for tomorrow!
00:57 Sorry but I can not make it. I need to go to Oshawa to pick up the bunny I ordered.

I've saved that text, it's worthy of David Lynch.

Sep 11 15 10:08 pm Link

Model

Jpod_model

Arlington, Virginia, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:

This is something that I can completely relate to and understand.  For some of us long time pet owners, our pets are "our children."   It's likely I'd be grieving for a few days over losing my dog too.

I haven't canceled a gig yet, but when my 15 year old feline meets her time, I'd likely have to clear any gigs for weeks...unless the photographer wants a series of me with sunglasses on, or only back shots/silhouettes.   When I cry it's an uuuuugly cry, and my eyes stay puffy for days. If I'm upset and think "don't lose it and cry again" I'll likely just cry again.

Sep 12 15 01:15 am Link

Photographer

Jeffrey M Fletcher

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Honestly, I think all reasons for canceling are excellent. People have lives, motivations and their own psychology to deal with and I'm entirely satisfied when someone communicates with me that they're not going to be able to model that day. That's much better than someone who is distracted, unenthused, or just going through the motions. So I'm totally supportive of any reasons to cancel and thankful for the thoughtfulness from a potential model on not showing up on a bad day.

I want people fully present and committed, any less than that and I'd just as soon be doing other things myself. So, please cancel, even if for reasons that seem whimsical, trivial, undignified or unimportant. I'm good with it and we can pick it up again at some later point  when we're both in the right place for  giving our undivided attention to the activity.

Sep 12 15 06:45 am Link

Photographer

D a v i d s o n

Gig Harbor, Washington, US

Laura Bello wrote:
Is it bad that I honestly don't care much if a model cancels if they at least tell me so?  They could just say they're feeling tired and I'd be totally cool with that if they told me a few hours before the shoot.  I just shoot for fun so if people aren't going to be into it I'd rather just shoot another day.  If they keep bailing though for dumb reasons then I mind cause it's not worth the effort to plan it.   Normally when I have girls bail we'll end up shooting another day.

Yep that's me as well, also it's basically the same as people calling in sick at work. Too many photographers get their panties in a twist about this, and I also see so much bull sheet on here from some who are GWC .

Sep 12 15 07:51 am Link

Photographer

Rik Williams

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

I ran out of gas. I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake. A terrible flood. Locusts! IT WASN'T MY FAULT, I SWEAR TO GOD!

But seriously, any notification is good.

Ideally a minimum of 24hrs before the shoot, just so there's enough time to action plan b.

Sep 12 15 08:27 am Link

Photographer

Expression Unlimited

Oceanside, California, US

Not sure what the ''excuse'' was, but I once had a really complicated set staged and the model cancelled.... after spending all affternoon telling me she wouldn't cancel. Seems she was driving almost all the way there BUT she didn't believe it was just another 10 mins away and gave up 20 mins before the shoot (workshop for 7 people) began. Or rather COULDN'T begin.
Most of them are coming farther than she was too. They were coming form Orange County and LA se was driving form La Jolla, to Carlsbad.

Sep 13 15 01:33 pm Link

Photographer

crx studios

Jeffrey M Fletcher wrote:
Honestly, I think all reasons for canceling are excellent.

Seriously?

So why is it when I offer models $50-$100 to test - 90+% of the time they show up healthy, enthusiastic, with no sudden death in the family, and when it’s a straight test without the money, the last minute “emergency” flake rate hovers around 50%?

Sep 13 15 03:16 pm Link

Photographer

Pictures of Life

Spokane, Washington, US

Jeffrey M Fletcher wrote:
Honestly, I think all reasons for canceling are excellent. People have lives, motivations and their own psychology to deal with and I'm entirely satisfied when someone communicates with me that they're not going to be able to model that day. That's much better than someone who is distracted, unenthused, or just going through the motions. So I'm totally supportive of any reasons to cancel and thankful for the thoughtfulness from a potential model on not showing up on a bad day.

I want people fully present and committed, any less than that and I'd just as soon be doing other things myself. So, please cancel, even if for reasons that seem whimsical, trivial, undignified or unimportant. I'm good with it and we can pick it up again at some later point  when we're both in the right place for  giving our undivided attention to the activity.

That's a great attitude, but totally misses the point that being unreliable is not OK; and being deceitful is really not OK.  The excuse given is just words that get passed along while people vent about being treated like crap.  If a person's word means nothing to them, then what does it mean to the person they are talking to?  This is a non-stop recipe for failure that hurts everyone.

Sep 13 15 08:15 pm Link

Photographer

DespayreFX

Delta, British Columbia, Canada

Worst reason/most common reason...

"I looked at your work." smile

Sep 13 15 09:49 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

DespayreFX wrote:

wink

Sep 14 15 06:49 am Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Laura Bello wrote:

Basically. One or both of us are going to suck if one or both of us don't want to be there, lets not force that shit.

I was up all night legitimately feeling sick and was debating cancelling (I was the one who asked for a shoot so I would have felt extra bad), got a text from the photographer that he had food poisoning and wasnt feeling it either. It sucks that we didn't get a chance to shoot (were both traveling) but we both were probably super relieved that the other one was feeling like shit too so neither of us had to be "the bad guy" and we mutually canceled.

Ive had friends I was supposed to be shooting with text me with "Im sorry, Im just not feeling up to it today" and that sucks but its fine, I don't want to put in work for photos of someone who's feeling like shit. Id rather save my energy for when they (or someone else) is feeling well.

All this "why even agree to the shoot if you're going to cancel?!?!!" well, 6 weeks ago when we booked we didn't feel like utter shit, I dunno, that sounds crazy I guess.

Ive had more photographers cancel on me than I have ever had to cancel and had models cancel on me combined. Mostly paid work, I hear a lot about the recession, divorces, losing of ones job, losing the house, etc. Some of them have lost their job multiple times with me. Half of them forget that Im friends with them on FB and can see what theyre doing instead, or friends with the model they booked just yesterday (who did not work with them for trade) or the model they book after they cancel with me. The other half are a lot of "well I also wanted to work with xxxx so can't I just pay you both the rate for one and you shoot together?" ....No. Not my problem that you can't wait till your next paycheque to work with the other person or manage your money better, you don't get a break for that.

Sep 14 15 11:51 am Link

Photographer

Ruben Sanchez

San Antonio, Texas, US

"Oh, I forgot", and this is after she emailed me the night before confirming she would be there, and really wanted to get started as a model.  That was the end of her modeling career.

Sep 14 15 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Laura UnBound wrote:
All this "why even agree to the shoot if you're going to cancel?!?!!" well, 6 weeks ago when we booked we didn't feel like utter shit, I dunno, that sounds crazy I guess.

6 weeks is too far beyond the attention and interest span for most other than experienced pros.

Sep 14 15 12:55 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

A decade has passed but this has never been topped:

"hi richard,

i have sucsessfully torn my back up this morning when i was releasing raccoons i trapped ...tomorrow i am spending the day in my dad's office in hopes that he can put me back together ( he's a chiropractor ).  so i am having to postpone all my shoots for tomorrow.  i will keep you posted on my recovery and hope we can reschedule this asap.

talk to ya soon..."

Sep 14 15 12:59 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

rp_photo wrote:

6 weeks is too far beyond the attention and interest span for most other than experienced pros.

I booked a few months in advance when I was on tours, but that doesnt mean I still really wanted to be there by the time those dates rolled around. You can get someone who shows up because they promised they would, or you can get someone who shows up because they really fucking want to be there. Chances of getting both consistently are not that high. I don't get pissed off when people no longer feel like doing something as stressful as modelling can be and have to postpone/cancel,  maybe because I've been there.

I also take most cancellations at face value unless I have reason to believe otherwise (like I just saw you post to your FB that you're on your way to the mall, not home sick in bed), because shit really does happen. Ive gone to shoots sick as a dog because for whatever reason beyond logic, photographers would rather you show up looking like shit than cancel because you're sick, I've been late, I've gotten lost, I've had cars break and taxis take me the wrong way and trains shut down and busses get flat tires, flights cancel, I've chosen to be on the road instead of at friends weddings or at family emergencies or when people really needed me. Ive put off doctor appointments for months because I already had a shoot scheduled. Its funny how actual employers would be totally understanding of shit like that, Ive never had an employer get pissed or fire me or dock my pay or anything because something came up, and its not like they haven't heard it all before from all their other employees, so Im not really sure where the disbelief and animosity comes from in the modelling world when that very same shit happens and a shoot gets cancelled.

Sep 14 15 03:14 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Laura UnBound wrote:

I booked a few months in advance when I was on tours, but that doesnt mean I still really wanted to be there by the time those dates rolled around. You can get someone who shows up because they promised they would, or you can get someone who shows up because they really fucking want to be there. Chances of getting both consistently are not that high. I don't get pissed off when people no longer feel like doing something as stressful as modelling can be and have to postpone/cancel,  maybe because I've been there.

I also take most cancellations at face value unless I have reason to believe otherwise (like I just saw you post to your FB that you're on your way to the mall, not home sick in bed), because shit really does happen. Ive gone to shoots sick as a dog because for whatever reason beyond logic, photographers would rather you show up looking like shit than cancel because you're sick, I've been late, I've gotten lost, I've had cars break and taxis take me the wrong way and trains shut down and busses get flat tires, flights cancel, I've chosen to be on the road instead of at friends weddings or at family emergencies or when people really needed me. Ive put off doctor appointments for months because I already had a shoot scheduled. Its funny how actual employers would be totally understanding of shit like that, Ive never had an employer get pissed or fire me or dock my pay or anything because something came up, and its not like they haven't heard it all before from all their other employees, so Im not really sure where the disbelief and animosity comes from in the modelling world when that very same shit happens and a shoot gets cancelled.

The Difference? An Employer has a relationship with you, a photographer has often just the one opportunity. It is to your credit that you have turned up. You're tough. I have shot with a broken foot in rough terrain, etc. I haven't had many cancellations and strangely it has been MUAs and hairstylists that I have my most difficult moments. I have someone who had some significance in TV. It is the kind of shoot that take you higher. She really wanted to be shot. I actually drove to her place to pick her up when her ride fell through. I couldn't shoot her, for beauty, because two HMUAS didn't make it and they looked really bad. That hurt. But I bounced back.

Sep 14 15 03:31 pm Link

Photographer

Kentus Photography

Detroit, Michigan, US

rp_photo wrote:
A decade has passed but this has never been topped:

"releasing raccoons i trapped ...

This is what I'm talking about!  Love it.  Probably the truth, but so ridiculous, it's entertaining!  Thanks for sharing.
smile

Sep 14 15 10:50 pm Link

Photographer

Kentus Photography

Detroit, Michigan, US

DespayreFX wrote:

Wow.  That burns worse than a dropped lens...well, maybe. smile  Thanks for sharing.

Sep 14 15 10:54 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

TerrysPhotocountry wrote:

From the same person?

I think i was the same person on both of those 2 days that I flaked

but now you have me thinking .....

Sep 14 15 11:53 pm Link

Photographer

Ike Lace Photography

Chicago, Illinois, US

Kentus Photography wrote:
Well, I had my first official cancellation! (Still waiting for my first collaboration).  She did actually contact me before the meet time, so I'm happy about that.  But, the excuse was pretty incredible...

"Hey I probably can't make it today, my car isn't doing well with the water on the roads."

And the best part about this is it didn't rain all day...lol.  Wow. 

What are YOUR worst excuses for cancelling?

Sorry I'm getting an abortion today.

Sep 15 15 01:32 am Link

Photographer

Jeffrey M Fletcher

crx studios wrote:

Seriously?

Yes, I'm far more concerned with weeding out people with any ambivalence about modeling for me or who haven't thought things through. I require models with a full commitment and focus on the work. Canceling before the session is always a favor and I'm happy to help with it. This works for me, I wind up with committed, dependable, inspired people to work with on an ongoing basis.

crx studios wrote:
So why is it when I offer models $50-$100 to test - 90+% of the time they show up healthy, enthusiastic, with no sudden death in the family, and when it’s a straight test without the money, the last minute “emergency” flake rate hovers around 50%?

Because money can be motivating? Hardly surprising. I do pay models a modest, blue collar wage. This makes sense to me as they are working on my projects  at my direction, schedule and to my specifications. However, whether it's a position paid in cash or trade I think it can be something of a mistake to overstate the motivating influence of money and ignore other motivating factors. Money's an immediate and easy motivator but ultimately doesn't work as well as having clear goals, good communication, a sense of productive and meaningful work, etc.. Pay in cash or in trade, it's still to my benefit to examine problems to see what I can do to fix them, and baring that, weed out those people who are not motivated to work at the level I require.

Sep 15 15 05:28 am Link

Photographer

Jeffrey M Fletcher

Pictures of Life wrote:
That's a great attitude, but totally misses the point that being unreliable is not OK; and being deceitful is really not OK.  The excuse given is just words that get passed along while people vent about being treated like crap.  If a person's word means nothing to them, then what does it mean to the person they are talking to?  This is a non-stop recipe for failure that hurts everyone.

I don't get many deceitful excuses, although I have to admit that I don't think I'd remember them much if I did. White lies offered up for a day off aren't a big concern of mine.

What is a concern is if I think there's an underlying lack of motivation or other issue that I need to deal with with the person. If I were getting too many flimsy excuses I'd tend to look at my behavior and decisions with the view that I'm pressuring people that are not fully committed or just dealing with the wrong people.

Since I often work with individuals over periods of months or years and since the models I work with in some cases also provide help around the studio, gardening,  house and pet sitting and even childcare, I'm actually quite sensitive to and  focused on honesty and reliability in areas where I think it matters. I'm also relatively ambitious with my photography and art projects and don't have much time for people who can't be fully "on" when working.

Sep 15 15 05:43 am Link

Photographer

Chris Photography

Valrico, Florida, US

I ate some candy yesterday, and I feel fat.

Sep 15 15 06:01 am Link

Model

LauraLuna

Madrid, Madrid, Spain

A model friend and me were planning a meeting via whataspp with a photographer, and suddenly he didn't get back to us to confirm the meeting we were having the next day. A month later he told me he got his mobile stolen. He did have our email, FB address and so, and he kept using Internet from home.

Sep 15 15 06:19 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Ike Lace Photography wrote:
Sorry I'm getting an abortion today.

That's actually probably the best reason to cancel a photoshoot.

I can't imagine that procedure would be particularly pleasant, or conducive to creating anything valuable immediately thereafter.

Sep 15 15 06:46 am Link

Photographer

THE IMAGE EDGE

Portland, Oregon, US

"I forgot my airplane ticket said my flight was this morning. The other photographers I had scheduled today were pretty pissed off. One had a studio booked right after you were going to drop me off at his location".

These were all paid shoots  (the others paying more than I had agreed to). So she lost some $$ off of that blunder apparently.( or maybe she had something juicier at her destination and just simply dropped us to take that one.

For me I agreed to pay her standard rate...no negotiating involved and was to provide transportation to and from the location and the morning's coffee!

Sep 15 15 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Richard Wossidlo

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I had a model text me 30 minutes before the shoot that she twisted her ankle, it was swelling, and she wouldn't be able to shoot.  OK, that's fine, we'll reschedule when the ankle is better.  An hour or so later, she posts on FB that she is going for a run...

Sep 17 15 08:01 am Link

Artist/Painter

aquarelle

Chicago, Illinois, US

"I was in jail." 

(A text that came the next day after I asked her why she hadn't shown up--and having known and worked with this model before,  I had no reason to disbelieve her.)

Sep 17 15 11:29 pm Link