Photographer

Jennifer Welch Photo

Dalton, Georgia, US

Hope this is the right place to post this. Anyways, I am having trouble with the colors of my photos looking way too saturated and warm on cell phones. I'm sure most potential clients use the facebook app to view my pictures so I really need to get this problem taken care of. They look perfectly fine on the computer, however. Any ideas on how to fix this? Other photographers in my area have confirmed that they look bad on their cell phones as well. I didn't have this problem until recently. Thanks.

Sep 10 15 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

I can only speculate, since I've seen nothing. The first thing that comes to mind is
that the photos are still in Adobe 1998 color space, instead of sRGB when uploaded
for web viewing.

Sep 10 15 07:54 pm Link

Photographer

Tulack

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

Common, would you complain if black and white screen wouldn't show your color image? Cell screen meant to be that way. High contrast, high saturation. Warm, to make you excited.

Sep 10 15 11:06 pm Link

Photographer

Jennifer Welch Photo

Dalton, Georgia, US

I saved the images for web in srgb format. Other photographers photos that I've seen look the same on the computer and mobile.

Sep 11 15 02:58 am Link

Photographer

TMA Photo and Training

Lancaster, Pennsylvania, US

On my calibrated monitor here...your images look to be somewhat saturated.  The saturation is not an overall universal saturation across the whole screen...but rather the high chroma seems to be in specific areas of the image and featuring certain colors.

In looking at your port... your visual style seems like it might be to have localized colors in specific areas really strong and vibrant.  Is strong vibrant color... selectively applied and highlighted... a signature visual style of yours?

Also, if your monitor has recently begun drifting, or if it is developing some new internal issues, so that it isnt tracking all colors well...  or... if the Chroma Level is Down or incorrect in your monitor...then your images would begin to exhibit "Just the Opposite" effect...high chroma or different colors tracking differently. 

Are you seeing a good B+W tonality range?  Are your grays a good Neutral color gray in your B+W images?  Your Grays DO affect your color to a great degree.  If the underlying brightness and tonality are off...then your colors will be off too.

Here is a quick monitor checking graphic that I use to see if my monitor is doing OK and is aligned in the ballpark.  You can right click and save it to your desktop if you like... or you can right click and do a View Image to see a larger size.

https://www.glamourretouching.com/mm/monitorcalibrator.jpg

Im glad that you are outputting in s-RGB...thats good!!  If Photoshop is inadvertently using ProPhoto or some other High  Color Gamut profile...then the web will not be able to resolve the image predictably.  Look under your main menu under Edit > Color Settings and see if sRGB is your working profile.

Sep 11 15 07:09 am Link

Retoucher

Hanton

Newquay, England, United Kingdom

Have you followed FB photo advice?
https://www.facebook.com/help/266520536764594/
it may help smile

Sep 11 15 07:58 am Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

I go through this all the time, especially with my latest series that is very dark and contrasty to begin with.

Start by doing your work on a well calibrated system in a room with ambient conditions suitable to color critical work.  If you don't know what that means, just google it, you'll get everything you need to know.

My system (Mac Pro Tower) has two monitors connected to it.  One is the calibrated monitor - the other is set in a stock configuration.  I often move an image I'm working on back and forth just to see the difference, but I only edit to the calibrated screen.  I also have an iMac, iPhone and iPad handy along with my girlfriends PC.   

Once I'm done and I have a copy saved as a flattened image for web processing, I view the file on all these platforms and adjust as needed for the best overall compromise.  Basically I have found that I need to apply three adjustment layers.  The first is a Curves layer that brightens the midpoint a bit, the second is a Levels layer that adjust the gamma from1.00 to 1.10 and the third is a Hue & Saturation layer that reduced the saturation a bit if necessary.  I have found the gamma correction to be adequate for all shots.  The curve adjustment and the HS adjustment depend on the pic, but in general I'm only moving the curve up a few points and only reducing saturation (if necessary) about -5.  If you don't do the gamma correction you can get away with a brighter curves adjustment and reducing saturation about -10, but it will still look "off".  I've created an action for this and use it whenever I save for web.

These corrections work for me on my system.  Your system may need different corrections but hopefully this will get you started in the right direction.

It gets really fun when you need to prep for printing in CMYK....

Sep 11 15 09:32 am Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

Tulack wrote:
Common, would you complain if black and white screen wouldn't show your color image? Cell screen meant to be that way. High contrast, high saturation. Warm, to make you excited.

Last time I looked at cell phones, I brought a few reference images and charts to compare displays. I was hoping one of the screens would be colour-accurate, so I could grade photo projects wherever I was

I started with the iPhone6 and the Galaxy S6, both of which were rated as 'top screens.' The Galaxy didn't even display a greyscale image in greyscale! It was green! The iPhone was magenta, but just barely. Both of them were way too contrasty; if I got prints like that, I'd have them redone. I'm sure movies look awesome, but it's not accurate. The closest was the LG G4,which is regularly called out for being a 'low contrast' screen. That almost matched my reference material - it was certainly closer than anything else, by a long shot. But it wasn't perfect.

If you're curious, I bought nothing. No reason to sign a new contract if I'm not 100% satisfied - I'll try again next year.

Cell phones are designed to be used outdoors. That fact means that contrast and saturation are going to be jacked way up, so you can see the screen outside. Giacomo gave some good advice, but remember that at the end of the day it's literally impossible to ever make any cell phone image totally accurate. Some models(like the LG) might have a 'more accurate' mode, but your average user is going to ignore it. The high contrast, high saturation look is so en Vogue than even 'authorities' like CNet and DPReview are going to tout it. I had to dig pretty deep to find a third-party test that said the LG screen was the most accurate, even though anyone with colour chart and a.jpg of said chart could confirm it in ten seconds.

And even then, it wasn't accurate - it was just the MOST accurate.

Sep 11 15 07:29 pm Link

Retoucher

Pall Kris Design

Bucharest, Bucharest, Romania

Jennifer your website link from your profile is down so why not post here some of the trouble photos?

I always inlude icc profile when I save a jpg for web.

Also another issue that may concern many photographers and artists: many websites like dropbox and box.com are distorting the colors for preview high resolution files. Try to upload a 16MP jpg/tif on dropbox/box.com and you will see that the preview is different regarding only the colors (compared to windows preview or photoshop in your own computer). The actual file remains intact. I've talked to support a few months ago and they are working on it. There is a limitation in the web app that makes the preview for big files.

So probably a good idea is to upload small files if you want to show them to clients.

Sep 12 15 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

Jennifer Welch Photo

Dalton, Georgia, US

Here is an example of one of my photos. It looks fine on the computer but very red and saturated on mobile. I save mine with the icc profile. I lowered the saturation on the picture and it looks a little better on the phone but would I have to do that with every photo?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/105563167 … /lightbox/

Sep 16 15 06:10 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

To mean do do have to make it worse on a desktop so it looks better on a mobile device? Yes. Unless you are pretty adept at web design, you pick one, and optimize for that. Then you put a note on your landing page that says, "This page is optimized for..." whatever. The needs/wants of desktops and mobile are different, so you can't make it 'best' on both with a single image.

If you have a solid web design background and your own site, then you make two sets of images, and two sites. It's not too difficult to have a website automatically detect a mobile device, and switch to your mobile site. This very page does it, though they load the same set of images in the gallery. But making the two sites point to two different batches of images isn't that tough when you're dealing with a smaller number of pages, and a single user.

If you're using Flickr, Instagram, etc.,the best bet is to optimize for mobile, and accept that it will be low contrast on a desktop. More people use those apps on mobile. If you're using SmugMug, etc., the best bet is to optimize for desktop.

And again ... Understand that unless you run your own site, you do not have control over the output. So don't over think it.

For what it's worth, your image is really saturated. I'm on a Nexus tablet right now, which I find to boost contrast, but to have a minimal saturation boost. If I were on an iPad, i'm guessing that image would be bonkers.

Maybe you just need to tone everything down, always. For what it's worth, I find that I need an extra contrasty image when I go to print. For viewing on a screen, less is always more. Always.

Sep 16 15 08:33 pm Link

Photographer

Benjamin M

JAMAICA PLAIN, Massachusetts, US

I'm an amateur with no formal education in photography but rather, self taught/learned. I found early on after purchasing my camera that it made every image look especially warm/rich/deep, and a lot more colorful than I liked. This was the Camera, and NOT an issue with my computer monitor.
Not really knowing, I spent lots of time reading the manual, and simply put, I found that for the chosen picture style, the firmware was designed to give a certain result in it's Default settings. I began shooting Manually, and adjusted the parameters for Sharpness, Contrast, Saturation, and Color tone in each of the picture styles. I went further by setting these parameters in the "User Defined" picture styles as well resulting in a variety of combinations that allows me to "quick select" a picture style in which my previously chosen adjustments more accurately produce color that is consistent with what I'm seeing with my eyes.

My monitor though is a different issue. The images look fine on the camera's LCD, but when uploaded to my computer, they appear much darker overall. If left untouched, they look great on my phone. (Galaxy s5). If I adjust the brightness to make them appear good on my monitor, then they are considerably brighter on my phone.

So..... I don't know what kind of camera you're using, but I have heard other's opinions that there are noticeable differences in color renderings between the brands This is NOT the complex technical advice that you've received from some of the individuals here, but my guess is that you're shooting in one of the Automatic Modes, and your resulting images are consistent which should allow you to make corrections to one image, then apply that action to ALL of the remaining images by "Batch Processing" (Personally, my "claim to fame" is that I DON'T use Photo Shop/Light Room etc. I DON'T know how)..

In addition to the other suggestions, you may chose from your menu, the option to alter the tone of individual colors incrementally when working in sRGB color space. I can't explain that in any detail here though.

Sep 23 15 03:36 pm Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Jennifer Welch Photo wrote:
Here is an example of one of my photos. It looks fine on the computer but very red and saturated on mobile. I save mine with the icc profile. I lowered the saturation on the picture and it looks a little better on the phone but would I have to do that with every photo?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/105563167 … /lightbox/

I'm also seeing an overly saturated image here on my editing monitor (Calibrated with an i1 PhotoPro 2).  Greens are almost a bright neon.  Skin and hair has a red tint too while her white shirt has a bit of cyan blue.  No doubt a cellphone is going to punch it up more - and you got my curiosity up for a bit of a test too. . . .

My S6 Edge cellphone has a 'calibrated' screen done with the ColorTRUE app and x-rite's i1Display Pro head.  The ColorTRUE opens ahead of the photo-viewer app (QuickPic) and one can flip between the uncalibrated and calibrated image by pressing a button.  Bad part of ColorTRUE is that it is not turned on by default like a edit station and it has to be launched ahead of the photo viewer apps.

On your image that I copied into the phone what I see "Uncalibrated" is a very saturated image: Very reddish skin and hair highlights, plus the blues are also saturated as are the greens.  If I press the "Calibrated" button on the phone, the colors mute down to a more normal look, i.e. no more red skin and the dress is more cyanish than a bright blue and the whites look a bit bright still.   If I dial the brightness of the phone down to about 20%, the "Calibrated" phone images looks like my calibrated editing station's monitor.  So the phone I have does pump up the colors a lot without using ColorTRUE, as well as the brightness.  Tough gig to address.

Sep 23 15 07:59 pm Link