Forums > Newbie Forum > Possible scam

Model

Maryna Sokolovska

Beverly Hills, California, US

Hi,

I just signed up for MM a day ago and have already gotten two similar, somewhat suspicious, emails (among many other genuine nice notes!). Both promise Paid Fashion Shoots and both are from MM members, but tell me to write someone else and supply a different email address. I wrote the first and asked what her relationship was to the photographer, but haven't heard back.

Are these scams?

Thanks - Maryna

Sep 13 15 11:50 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Only 2?  There will be more.  It is important that you flag the message (bottom left under the message) and send a CAM to the moderators (help in the black bar next to my stuff).  They will remove the profiles of the offenders.

Read the sections in help and edu about avoiding scams.  Do not give out your personal information (remove your personal info if you have it on your profile) and do not deposit checks that someone sends you and DO NOT send anyone else checks.

Other than this, I hope you have an enjoyable experience here.

hienvy

Join us in the forums as you get settled in.  Read up and learn about important issues that other people experience and post about in the forums.  It might save you from some other unfortunate experiences.  Best place to start is the Model Col., photography and general.

edit:
You can click here to read a very recent thread on this same subject.  It will save you some time, rather than waiting for reply here.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/890514

Sep 13 15 12:02 pm Link

Model

Maryna Sokolovska

Thanks, Hunter. Since the 2nd part of the scam (where they tell you about the upfront money you'll need to deposit, etc.) hadn't arrived yet, it wasn't clear. I'll report them both and wash my hands of them all!

Best - Maryna

Sep 13 15 12:41 pm Link

Photographer

Flex Photography

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

Too bad you emailed one , as now they have your email! Don't reply by email to anyone else!
It is typical of scammers to too-urgently want you to contact right away by email, rather than MM message!
Red flag! Don't rush to give out or use your email! Nobody needs it that early! Use multiple MM messages with members, get all info, and check them out, before considering email contact.

Offers of advance payment equals Nigerian Scam!!

Sep 13 15 02:33 pm Link

Photographer

Filles de Pin-up

Wichita, Kansas, US

MM EDU Articles
Avoiding Scams: The Basics
PM Flagging: A how-to guide
How to use Model Mayhem privacy options

Forum Posts
Modeling Scams

If you receive a spam, scam, or solicitation for something not allowed on MM, please Contact a Moderator.

Sep 13 15 02:41 pm Link

Model

Maryna Sokolovska

Flex Photography wrote:
Too bad you emailed one , as now they have your email! Don't reply by email to anyone else!

I actually didn't email - I used the MM messaging system. But thanks for the warning!

Best - Maryna

Sep 13 15 03:21 pm Link

Photographer

First Life Photography

Plymouth, England, United Kingdom

Hello & Welcome to MM. smile

Glad you spotted the scams before you got involved with them!

I wish you All the Best. smile

Sep 13 15 10:24 pm Link