Forums > Model Colloquy > How do you get your first modeling gig?

Model

EmmaBrooke91

Fairmont, West Virginia, US

Hey, I am new to modeling, and I am currently working on completely revamping my portfolio to try to attract photographers, but outside of that, I have no idea how to get gigs. How did you all get your first gig? And, how do I know which photographers to trust and which ones not to? Thanks for the help, everyone.

Sep 14 15 12:19 am Link

Photographer

Gene Cannon

Wendell, North Carolina, US

Start by offering to do time for prints or images for photographers in your area.

Sep 14 15 02:41 am Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

You are not in a good location for modeling work. Given that, you need to look up all of the commercial photographers you can find (if any), in your general area, and then let them know you are interested in testing. Testing is trade of time for photos.

That is the right way to build a book, and the best way to get genuine commercially viable quality images.

Sep 14 15 02:54 pm Link

Model

EmmaBrooke91

Fairmont, West Virginia, US

Lallure Photographic wrote:
You are not in a good location for modeling work. Given that, you need to look up all of the commercial photographers you can find (if any), in your general area, and then let them know you are interested in testing. Testing is trade of time for photos.

That is the right way to build a book, and the best way to get genuine commercially viable quality images.

I'm actually close to Pittsburgh, so I could expand to there.

Sep 14 15 05:25 pm Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

My very first one wasn't even planned. I had always been told I should be a model, and actually took classes while still in high school, but never pursued it. Years later, I met and married my husband who had been an art model for many years. One night on the way home from work I decided to drive by the art gallery where he was modelling, just to see how it was done. After watching for a short time, I went into the bathroom, came out naked, and when it was time to change poses I climbed up onto the platform next to him, and finished the remaining two hours posing together.

I also learned networking that night!  Everyone wanted my number and there were offers to model for artwork and photography from several of the people who were there. After that the demand grew rapidly as there weren't many natural 35 year olds willing to pose in the nude.

Sep 14 15 05:37 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

My mother tried to make my twin brother and I models.  We were chosen for a run way show.  It was mostly kids from 8 to 14 or so.  Other people from school got to wear jeans, sports ware, really nice dresses.

My brother and I had to model Penny's Towncraft Underware. That's right the famous tightly whites.  I was only 10 and I was mortified.  I walked out turned around then ran back stage.  I didn't talk to my mother for a week, and I never did run way ever again.

I rebounded in college where I was an art model posing nude.  Oh well

Sep 14 15 06:37 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

My first modeling job was through my acting agent in Chicago.  I was between theater bookings and she set me up for a series of advertising shoots for a small men's clothing chain.  They are now out of business but I insist that my modeling was not the cause.  That was, after all, more than a half-century ago.

If I were in your spot, the first thing I'd do would be to use the browse button (furthest left on the tool bar at the top of the page) and search for the active photographers in our area (use the advanced selection to get a drop down menu that will allow you to check what sort of shoots they do and how long it's been since they signed on.  I found 37 within 50 miles of Fairmont, 425 within 100 miles, which would include Pittsburgh).  Then I'd send each of the ones that are into the kind of shooting that you want to do a polite note letting them know that you're available.  You'll probably want to shoot TF with a few to develop some variety in your profile and to gain more experience.  I'd also ask them to consider you for any paid assignments they may have (being cooperative and dependable will help here) and at the same time apply to whatever agencies there may be within your strike zone.  But be aware that you're not in anything that anyone would call a center of the fashion industry so those opportunities may be few and far between.  You might want to consider adding fine art and/or lingerie modeling to your list of genres, especially if you'd be comfortable with some level of nudity.  At the very least, it would add to the number of opportunities available to you.

As to how to know who to trust, it boils down mainly to using the good sense God gave you.  Check references, not only the ones the photographer gives you but to whatever degree possible by contacting the models he's worked with that he doesn't suggest you contact.  If practical, meet in a public place such as a coffee shop to get acquainted and to plan all the details of the shoot.  And I do mean [u]all/[u] the details of the shoot--don't assume anything.  If you're not completely comfortable, then just say "No, thanks." and move on.  While we do sometimes read in newspapers about photographers abusing their relationship with models, why do you think they are there?---Because they're news--they are actually relatively uncommon.  Statistically, you're far more likely to be hurt, killed or assaulted in a supermarket parking lot, at a movie theater or at a popular bar or club than you are on a set.  Due diligence is your best protection.

All IMHO as always, of course.

Sep 14 15 06:43 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

EmmaBrooke91 wrote:
... how do I know which photographers to trust and which ones not to? ...

The overwhelming majority of photographers are decent, helpful people with various levels of skill, but, to satisfy yourself on that point, talk with the models they have credited and talk with the photographers themselves.

Sep 14 15 06:48 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Rays Fine Art wrote:
While we do sometimes read in newspapers about photographers abusing their relationship with models, why do you think they are there?---Because they're news--they are actually relatively uncommon.  Statistically, you're far more likely to be hurt, killed or assaulted in a supermarket parking lot, at a movie theater or at a popular bar or club than you are on a set.

Good point.  The sort of incident that models seem to worry about is far more likely to arise with work colleagues than photographers.

Sep 14 15 06:53 pm Link

Model

Caroline Michaud

Reston, Virginia, US

i got "discovered" by a photographer at a club (cliche i know) and we shot together and formed a great rapport. I've shot with her many times now, and through her met other photographers and designers in my local industry. so go to local events, fashion shows, expos, castings, etc. get a business or comp card made and network. i've gotten far more jobs by making connections IRL than through any website or social networking site.

Sep 20 15 10:37 pm Link

Photographer

Photographic Adventures

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

EmmaBrooke91 wrote:
Hey, I am new to modeling, and I am currently working on completely revamping my portfolio to try to attract photographers, but outside of that, I have no idea how to get gigs. How did you all get your first gig? And, how do I know which photographers to trust and which ones not to? Thanks for the help, everyone.

Come on up to Pittsburgh and we'll shoot.  I've worked with several models from your area.  I wouldn't think you'd have any trouble finding photographers willing to do trade shoots with you.

As far as finding photographers you can trust...photographers are not generally monsters and contact the models in their portfolio and ask.  I never supply references, but, rather, I just tell them to randomly contact any model I've ever worked with and ask.

Sep 21 15 09:35 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

In 2005, I was approached by a man in a bar who handed me a business card and asked if I'd like to pose for a nude photo project. It sounded dangerous and like a terrible idea, so of course, I couldn't wait to do it. It was a TFP project and since I had no photos of myself, other than school pictures as a child, I was eager to schedule a session.

I had a lot of fun. I didn't feel shy or weird. It was new and exciting and something I'd never done before, so I was ecstatic after I left that first shoot. After that, I ended up working as a figure model for classrooms and drawing groups for two years. I joined OMP in 2006 or so, but it took a couple of years of building up a portfolio through trade nude shoots before I began receiving offers for paying work.

Sep 21 15 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

Colin G Photography

Kitchener, Ontario, Canada

EmmaBrooke91 wrote:

To know who to trust, chat with them. View their work first before doing this.  Get to know them a bit before going for a shoot.  Meet them for coffee In a public space is an easy way to meet.

Sep 21 15 05:20 pm Link

Model

Rachel Jay

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Colin G Photography wrote:

To know who to trust, chat with them. View their work first before doing this.  Get to know them a bit before going for a shoot.  Meet them for coffee In a public space is an easy way to meet.

No. It's a job, not a social call. You don't need to befriend every photographer you're looking to work with. Besides, just because someone's chatty and willing to meet at Starbucks doesn't mean they won't make you uncomfortable on your shoot or not deliver photos afterwards.

Yes look at their work... make sure it jives with what you want to do. If it doesn't, don't work with them... you likely won't get anything usable, and then you'll have wasted both of your time.

Check references by contacting models and stylists the photographer has worked with. I wrote a handy guide on that years ago, but it still applies. Read it here. Email/message two to three times as many people as you want to hear from... some won't write you back.

If you're going to Google, remember that sometimes, multiple people have the same name, so everything you find might not apply to the person you're looking at working with. 

FWIW I got my first modeling gig by reaching out to photographers and saying I wanted to work with them on a trade basis, since I was looking to build my portfolio. I mean, technically, prior to that I did some promo stuff for a business I knew the owner of, and was in a calendar photographed by a friend for a local business... but that more got me into it than anything. If you want work, you have to hustle to make it happen.

Sep 23 15 01:45 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Back in 2003 I had two or three people in one day compliment my bone structure, skin, and eyes saying I should model. I googled (or whatever the search engine was back then) modeling and there were two sites that existed then; garage glamour and One Model Place. I started an account on OMP and uploaded 4 self portraits (I'm a photographer) I took with my Polaroid. I got about 150 emails in one week. My first two shoots were trade shoots then I started traveling a few months after to Detroit, Chicago, and eventually NYC and that's how it started. 13 years later I'm still doing it! smile

Things are a little different now. Try to put out castings for trade or contact photographers you like asking them if they would like to trade with you.

Sep 23 15 03:51 pm Link

Model

Nat has a username

Oakland, California, US

I never ever wanted to be a model, it just happened by accident.

I, being the impulsive person I am, decided to drop out of college to be a dance teacher (I did ballet and street dancing), and while browsing craigslist with the keyword dance I found an ad that was posted by an artist looking for dancers as art models. Was paying a hell of a lot more than dance teaching, so I gave it a shot.

Still an art model to this day, back in my home town.

Sep 23 15 03:57 pm Link

Model

CRIMSON REIGN

Baltimore, Maryland, US

My first modeling gig happened by chance. While on disability,I was approached by a local designer looking for models for a runway segment during an Artscape  event here in town. Later that year, he had a photo shoot and asked me to participate.  I used the photos from that to post on sites like MM and OMP. Over time I was approached to do TF shoots and began building a port. I always try to contact models who have worked with the photographer for references. Also, check out the casting calls in and around your area. All the best  smile

Sep 25 15 04:23 am Link

Model

Kahula

Tucson, Arizona, US

My first one was in my late teens but, I was too small for plus size modeling at the time. So I moved on.

Now I am too old and too big but, I was dancing at a belly dance gig and met a photographer that gave me the suggestion.

There are suggestions on here about who to trust and not to trust. They are good suggestions as I have had minor issues with this site when it comes to being able to trust working with photographers.

Oct 05 15 03:05 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

I was living in Hollywood, CA and whilst doing some green acting gigs got asked to do runway by a french designer.

Oct 05 15 06:15 am Link

Model

Chelsea Marlo

Portland, Oregon, US

I came across a Craigslist ad from a local aspiring photographer offering to pay people to pose for him, and then he told me about Model Mayhem and let me use a few of the finished edits to start a portfolio. That was over 4 years ago smile

Oct 06 15 12:07 pm Link

Model

Ana Lancova

Powder Springs, Georgia, US

I was looking through the people you may know section on facebook when i came across a model. I thought she was gorgeous and really wanted to be her friend. I never actually thought that if i sent a message she would respond but she did. I sent her a message telling her that i always wanted to model and was told i had the right look for it. She responded back telling me about model mayhem. I used some photos that a friend had done for me as a present to my husband to post in my portfolio to get in. When i was first accepted to model mayhem i got a ton of message and was very standoffish to photographers, because everyone around me told me to be careful. But i got a message from a local photographer who offered to do TFP and his work was great, so i did an the rest is history.

There are certain things that might clue you in on the ones who are not as they should be

If They (these are not set in stone but they are helpful for me when finding a photographer)
Make sexual or inappropriate comments
will not give you a shoot location until the day of shoot
Sound too good to be true
Keep changing the date of the shoot

Model mayhem tries to be very careful about the people that are on this site but some may and occasionally will slip through. For some good advice it would be advisable to visit the EDU tab at the top of your model mayhem page then click on USING MM there is an article there called AVOIDING SCAMS THE BASICS, this may be helpful in pointing you in the right direction.

Oct 06 15 03:12 pm Link

Model

Aimee Fawn

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Always check casting calls and bulletins here on MM. Make your own casting calls. That's how I get a lot of my work. smile
And like a lot of members before me said, TFP until you have enough in your portfolio to nail some paid gigs.
Good luck to you!

Oct 07 15 09:24 am Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

You have to test. That means model for local area photogs, in return for porfolio images.

Testing gets you known to the photogs. Then when they need to hire for  shoot, they are aware of you.

Oct 12 15 12:48 pm Link

Model

Nat has a username

Oakland, California, US

Lallure Photographic wrote:
You have to test. That means model for local area photogs, in return for porfolio images.

Testing gets you known to the photogs. Then when they need to hire for  shoot, they are aware of you.

Not necessarily.

My first job was paid, and I started getting paid by schools right away. I'm aware I'm an exceptional case, but testing isn't always something that should be done. Learn what is a good trade, what isn't; who is reputable and would be a good person to test with, etc.

Oct 19 15 10:23 pm Link

Model

Amelia Simone

Rosarito, Baja California, Mexico

The way I started was through Craigslist. That definitely could have went haywire, haha.
But I found some amazing artists, who then directed me to MM.
Word of mouth and consistently working with talented individuals (TF) got my portfolio to where I wanted it and then work started coming in as time went on.

Oct 31 15 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

tcphoto

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I worked as a model for a dozen years, worked in Dallas, Chicago and Japan after starting in Nashville before starting my photo career. Go meet an established agency, do paid tests with talented photographers and never shoot without a make up artist. You must have a marketable look, be good in front of the camera and treat it like a business.

Oct 31 15 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

FASHION Photographer LA

Los Angeles, California, US

Who to trust: look at their portfolio, what they have shot, who they have shot and haven't

Nov 04 15 12:17 am Link