Forums > General Industry > Time for Prints?

Photographer

terrencewicks

Memphis, Tennessee, US

What is the standard trade off when working with models when the item you're bartering is a model's time for prints?

Sep 24 15 07:27 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

terrencewicks wrote:
What is the standard trade off when working with models when the item you're bartering is a model's time for prints?

There is no "standard".   I give the model a disk with everything that I think will be usable in either of our ports, edited, unwatermarked, and sized both for printing and for web posting.  On the other extreme, some photographers limit that to one or two pictures that the photographer won't be ashamed and splashed with watermarks that make the pictures useless for the model. 

In theory, you're trading value for value, your time, experience, equipment usage, etc. for her time, experience, "look" and marketability.  If you're at all human, you will almost certainly have a somewhat inflated sense of you value coupled with a somewhat deflated sense of the model's value.  And it's almost certain that the model's evaluation will mirror, that is, be the exact opposite of yours.  So the only real way to decide is to discuss the deal fully with the model and reach an agreement that both of you think is fair.  If you can't agree, you're probably both better off if you just don't shoot together.

All IMHO as always, of course.

Sep 24 15 07:41 pm Link

Photographer

terrencewicks

Memphis, Tennessee, US

Thanks, That was a very solid answer. It helps a lot!

Sep 24 15 07:51 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Rays Fine Art wrote:
There is no "standard".   I give the model a disk with everything that I think will be usable in either of our ports, edited, unwatermarked, and sized both for printing and for web posting.  On the other extreme, some photographers limit that to one or two pictures that the photographer won't be ashamed and splashed with watermarks that make the pictures useless for the model. 

In theory, you're trading value for value, your time, experience, equipment usage, etc. for her time, experience, "look" and marketability.  If you're at all human, you will almost certainly have a somewhat inflated sense of you value coupled with a somewhat deflated sense of the model's value.  And it's almost certain that the model's evaluation will mirror, that is, be the exact opposite of yours.  So the only real way to decide is to discuss the deal fully with the model and reach an agreement that both of you think is fair.  If you can't agree, you're probably both better off if you just don't shoot together.

All IMHO as always, of course.

Really the best answer to this question that I've read in a long time! 

Trade is very much negotiable!  Pay is also negotiable.

Noting the other thread about deposits, that too is negotiable.

In addition to having good photographic or modeling skills, being good at negotiation is very helpful.

Sep 24 15 08:28 pm Link

Photographer

itaj

Columbus, Georgia, US

Anywhere from 3-7 finished files on "regular" model style shoots.  Strictly PRINTS, no files on Art shoots, as art is for sale, and cannot have "extra" copies floating around in a numbered environment.

Sep 28 15 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

Steve Arebalo

Orange, California, US

terrencewicks wrote:

My mode of operation is similar to Ray's. However, many photographers limit the number of images that they release. Regardless, if you want to establish a good reputation in your area, it is imperative that models receive images in exchange for their time.

Sep 29 15 02:02 am Link

Photographer

Photographic Adventures

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

There are quite a number of variations on the theme.  From my perspective, the important thing is to clearly communicate with the model as to what you plan to deliver.  Then, be sure to deliver what you promise in the time-frame you specified.

You need to decide what you think is going to match your workflow and show your work in the best light.  I've seen photographers shoot 500+ frames and at the end just dump them on a CD or SD card and be done and walk away.  Others give one or two professionally edited photos from a session.  I tend to give 2-3 edited photos per look.

Sep 29 15 04:33 am Link

Photographer

DeanLautermilch

Sebring, Florida, US

I give them the RAW files and all the JPGs that I do via a Google Drive share. With some models I have done multiple sessions. http://www.deanlautermilch.com/about has the details of my offer.
But since I am going after newbies that have never been in front of the camera the rules are different.

Sep 29 15 05:22 am Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

I give them whatever I end up editing.  It may be 3, it may be 50.  I scale to 2048px 72dpi and upload the images to my website for them to download.  Sometimes, they'll contact me asking for a print version for publication.  I just upload the images they want at max size @ 300dpi.  For their versions, I keep it 'em up for no less than 3 months.

Sep 29 15 09:28 am Link

Photographer

neoracer

Kent, Washington, US

I usually give a minimum of 15 pics, 5 high quality edits for each look we shot and if I have time I'll do more after the initial 'rush' if they want em smile

Sep 29 15 10:19 am Link

Photographer

Mark C Smith

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Time for Prints is antiquated. Time for Photos is what most people would be referring to with "TF/TFP". If you're actually giving them a print...I guess ask which one they wanted to be printed?

I usually give 3-4 edited photos per look.

Sep 29 15 02:32 pm Link

Photographer

NewBoldPhoto

PORT MURRAY, New Jersey, US

Photographic Adventures wrote:
There are quite a number of variations on the theme.  From my perspective, the important thing is to clearly communicate with the model as to what you plan to deliver.  Then, be sure to deliver what you promise in the time-frame you specified.

You need to decide what you think is going to match your workflow and show your work in the best light.  I've seen photographers shoot 500+ frames and at the end just dump them on a CD or SD card and be done and walk away.  Others give one or two professionally edited photos from a session.  I tend to give 2-3 edited photos per look.

QFT

Sep 29 15 03:29 pm Link